PDA

View Full Version : Anyone going to Camber?

Rachel
24th-September-2002, 02:18 PM
Just curious now after seeing Emma's posting. Are there any other regulars of this list who are going to JiveTime's Camber Sands weekend in November? It would be lovely to meet any of you ...
Rachel

william_ceroc
24th-September-2002, 04:29 PM
Would like to go but dont think Ive got a cahnce of getting any tickets hav been trying for the last few months

william_ceroc@hotmail.com

Rachel
24th-September-2002, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by william_ceroc
Would like to go but dont think Ive got a cahnce of getting any tickets hav been trying for the last few months I know! Tickets are like gold dust and the event sells out months in advance. I take it you've tried posting for tickets on all the other jive lists, in case of cancellations? Yes, of course you have, silly question ... Just get yourself booked for some of next year's weekends - at least you know that, if something comes up and you can't go after all, you won't have any trouble selling the tickets to someone else!
Rachel

william_ceroc
24th-September-2002, 05:42 PM
Not really posted on 2 many jive lists
If you hav the web address of any you could recomend it would be helpful

william

Rachel
26th-September-2002, 03:59 PM
Hi William,

I don't know if any of these will help, but some of the follwing are links to actual message boards, and others just give lists of web addresses for various dance organisations. You may like to try some of them. Good luck!

http://www.modernjive.com/all.html
http://www.dancer.co.uk/lg_contacts.html
http://www.planetjive.co.uk/
http://www.jive2000.co.uk/guestbook.asp
http://www.jivelive.com/forum/default.asp
http://www.salsajive.co.uk/
http://www.dancers.org/forum/list.php?f=2&dz=1021452485&SID=69ee4205c0116b16e3715c3894355b93
http://members4.boardhost.com/albertj/

Rachel

Gus
26th-September-2002, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by Rachel
Just curious now after seeing Emma's posting. Are there any other regulars of this list who are going to JiveTime's Camber Sands weekend in November? It would be lovely to meet any of you ...
Rachel Just been reminded ... I should be there .. I'm suposed to be DJing (upstairs in the Modern Jive room) ... if they let me back. Make sure we catch up for a dance or several.

Rachel
26th-September-2002, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by Gus
Just been reminded ... I should be there .. I'm suposed to be DJing (upstairs in the Modern Jive room) ... if they let me back. Make sure we catch up for a dance or several. I'd love to find you for a dance - I'll be on the look-out for you! I'm looking forward to hearing your dj set as well ... in a morbidly curious kind of way (only joking!) - about time I started listening to some hip and trendy music, for a change!

Gus
26th-September-2002, 04:32 PM
I'm looking forward to hearing your dj set as well ... in a morbidly curious kind of way (only joking!) - about time I started listening to some hip and trendy music, for a change! I wouldn't hold your breath ... I've been told to tone it down a bit after last year .... and I was being pretty conservative then. Danile Beddingfield raised a few eyebrows and Cantaloop defintely had them stumped for a while.

Not sure but there does seem to be a North / South divide ... with the South very much more into trad and swing music wheras the North seem to be more open to clubby tracks ... but thats a whole different thread...

Emma
26th-September-2002, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by Gus
Just been reminded ... I should be there .. I'm suposed to be DJing

Hmmm...orange trousers? is that you? Maybe we should wear t-shirts that say 'I post to the Ceroc Scotland Forum'. :waycool: No. There has to be a better way of finding one another..suggestions?

Gus
27th-September-2002, 12:46 AM
Originally posted by Emma
Hmmm...orange trousers? is that you? Maybe we should wear t-shirts that say 'I post to the Ceroc Scotland Forum'. :waycool: No. There has to be a better way of finding one another..suggestions? Unfortunately there are some bounders who have the temerity to be imposters and also wear orange trousers ... err OK .. so some other dancers got there first ... but mine are the brightest, biggesta and most orange .... which won't help as I'll be hidden away in the DJ booth.

To all meet up, how about posting ads on the fourm like ... I'll be at Marcos at 9.30 stood next to the DJ drinking a Smirnoff ice and looking available????? OK ... maybe not

Emma
27th-September-2002, 09:12 AM
Originally posted by Gus
I'll be at Marcos at 9.30 stood next to the DJ drinking a Smirnoff ice and looking available????? OK ... maybe not

No..I think we can do better than that (plus I don't drink Smirnoff ice, so it couldn't work!)

Not quite sure how though. I guess there's a while before we have to work that one out though!:nice:

Jon
27th-September-2002, 01:35 PM
I'm going to Camber too. I think I'll be able to find you Emma but your suggestion of tea shirts is a good idea. On the other hand other members of this forum will probably recongise me by the fact I'll be the one looking exhausted, tired and unable to stand up due to sore feet, sitting by the dance floor. Come to think of it that'll be all of us.

Humm other suggestions?

Rachel
16th-October-2002, 02:00 PM
Would like to go but dont think Ive got a cahnce of getting any tickets hav been trying for the last few months William, I don't know how your search for Camber tickets went but, in the letter I received from JiveTime yesterday, they said they had had a group cancellation for November and 25 tickets spare. If you're still after a ticket, you could try emailing Franco at Jive@jivetime.co.uk or call him on 020 8861 2491.
Rachel

william_ceroc
27th-October-2002, 08:39 PM
Hi
sorry I dont know If I got a dance with u or not on the sunday
just wondering how and when u were going to cambs
I hav got my tickets and was wondering how you guys were getting there?

william

Big big thanks Rach

Lots of people hav droped out because of a new venue down south
but Im sure it will still be a good buzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Rachel
28th-October-2002, 09:42 AM
Hi
sorry I dont know If I got a dance with u or not on the sunday
just wondering how and when u were going to cambs
I hav got my tickets and was wondering how you guys were getting there?

william

Big big thanks Rach

Lots of people hav droped out because of a new venue down south
but Im sure it will still be a good buzzzzzzzzzzzzzz Hi William, really pleased you got a ticket. I wasn't able to come up to Scotland on Sunday so, no, unfortunately we didn't get to dance. Maybe at Camber??

I will be driving down to Camber, but I live in Northampton, so we're going from there. What's this new venue that's keeping people away?
Rachel

william_ceroc
4th-November-2002, 06:22 PM
if you know of anyone thats going from Scotland giv me a shout
looks like myself and Brain will drive down so we will hav space in the car for another 2

william_ceroc@hotmail.com

Rachel
19th-November-2002, 01:32 PM
But seriously though..some sort of forum corner?? (a small and select one I suspect..). I've never been before so am at a bit of a loss to suggest a time or place ..does anyone have a suggestion? I'd love to meet up (and dance!!) with anyone who is going who posts to the forum. :grin: Oh Emma, I am an idiot! I was on holiday from work all last week before Camber - which also means holiday from internet access - and never got round to thinking of how we might be able to meet up there. I am sorry - it would have been great to meet you. Jon, you were there, too, weren't you? Gus, what happened to you?

Wasn't it a fantastic weekend, though? Did you manage to see anyone else from the forum? I saw Elliot and Della there - did you find them? Both dancing wonderfully, of course!

I have to admit, I spent just about the entire time downstairs cos the blues/swing music was sooooo irresistible, and somehow managed to keep going til the very end all 3 nights. (Though I'm suffering for it now!) Were you downstairs much?

And did you see David and Lily's WCS workshop? I really enjoyed that. And their showcase ... simply stunning!

However I totally agree with some of the comments made here about the aerials workshop - I was shocked when I saw they were going to attempt to teach aerials of any kind to a class that size. I didn't actually see the class, but I just can't imagine how that could ever be done safely.

Anyway, hope you had a lovely time there. And if you're about next year, we'll definitely arrange a meeting, yes?
Rachel

TheTramp
19th-November-2002, 01:39 PM
Hiya

I was there :grin:

And just to make all you Scottish ladies jealous....

Over the weekend, Elliot asked me to dance 3 times!!! Although, I have to admit to preferring my dances with Della :wink:

Steve

william_ceroc
19th-November-2002, 01:43 PM
What can I say apart from

What took me so long to go and what a buzz

Fell in love with the Blues room and a certain Brazil/Sweedish dancer
Workshops were great people were even better
roll on 2003

Best say High to the 2 Ls, didnt get a chance to dance but who can blame you guys with so so many amazing dancers what chance did us mortals hav.

Prob did dance with you Emma in the blues room I was on such a high all weekend I didnt want it to stop.

I said hi to Ell for you Sheen and he sends a big X back

william

Emma
19th-November-2002, 01:49 PM
Gus, what happened to you?

Yeah, Gus, what happened to you??

Wasn't it a fantastic weekend, though? Did you manage to see anyone else from the forum? I saw Elliot and Della there - did you find them? Both dancing wonderfully, of course!
have to admit, I spent just about the entire time downstairs cos the blues/swing music was sooooo irresistible, and somehow managed to keep going til the very end all 3 nights. (Though I'm suffering for it now!) Were you downstairs much?
And did you see David and Lily's WCS workshop? I really enjoyed that. And their showcase ... simply stunning!

It was amazing. It was quite honestly the most amazing time I've ever had...I'm just beginning to feel nearly human again. Nearly.

I did find Elliot, though I didn't know it was him at the time - what a fantastic dancer - my dancing was slightly hindered by the fact that my trousers came unbuttoned halfway through dancing with him :what:...that's my excuse for my distracted dancing and I'm sticking to it :sorry: !!

I also managed to track down Lily and David and say Hi after 10 mins of psyching myself up after watching their incrredible cabaret performance - thanks for the dance David! :) :) I was fully intending to do their workshop too but my legs were refusing to co-operate. Another time, I hope!

..And what can I say about downstairs. I was down there from 2ish every night to the bitter end. I was intending to pace myself but that went out of the window about 30 mins after I arrived down there Friday night. We were probably dancing next to one another!! What do you look like? Where were you dancing? The music down there was just amazing, the dancing even better. I went out dancing last night (yeah, I am completely mad, but it was a friend's last night for a year cos she's having an op on her knee today - good luck Sharon!!) and couldn't believe I wasn't going to get my slow music fix :waycool: Are you going to go to the Chiswick (sp?) thingy in Jan? I'm thinking of developing a serious blues dancing habit :grin:

Anyway, hope you had a lovely time there. And if you're about next year, we'll definitely arrange a meeting, yes?
Rachel

Definitely! If not before!

:cheers: :kiss:

Graham
19th-November-2002, 01:50 PM
I am an idiot! Just thought I'd capture this for posterity :wink:

Emma
19th-November-2002, 01:53 PM
..anyway did anyone get any pics? I took my camera but was too busy having the time of my life to use it :)

Hi To John and Ian too, :kiss: two lovely dancers from downstairs. Those were the only names I got!

Gus
19th-November-2002, 02:06 PM

Yeah, Gus, what happened to you??

Well despite friends in high places (the Head DJ for Camber is one of my best mates) I wasn't needed to DJ this year ...... That and the fact I was teaching Sunday night meant it wasn't worth going down ... its a LONG way to travel.

My dance partner, Helen, was there and shares the view that the dancing downstairs was pretty hot .... though she's still on a high after Viktor came up from behind (:what: ) gave her a hug and took her on the dancefloor ..... think I'm going to be second best to that for quite some time:wink:

Seems the dancing was superb but heard conflicting opinions on the dance lessons. Any views?

Franck
19th-November-2002, 02:12 PM
[B]It was amazing. It was quite honestly the most amazing time I've ever had...I'm just beginning to feel nearly human again. Nearly./B]Wow, that sounds amazing indeed... Nothing like a full week-end with hundreds of dancers... :nice:
I feel really jealous now, as no doubt many other people reading all the reports will too!

I do hope someone took pictures, so we can get a glimpse of what went on, as well as some more posts with more details :wink:

Franck.

Emma
19th-November-2002, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by Gus

Seems the dancing was superb but heard conflicting opinions on the dance lessons. Any views?

I did the Blues workshop with Nigel and Nina, which was truly fabulous. The other one I did (no names, no pack drill) was not nearly as good - but it would be hard to follow Nigel and Nina's teaching. The upstairs workshops were probably better as you could at least see the people teaching, downstairs that was a real issue...the further back the hall you got, the harder it was. Another time I'd be tempted to stick with one partner (which I'd never normally do)in order to have a better view and therefore more of a chance to pick up moves.

william_ceroc
19th-November-2002, 02:19 PM
Hi Guss

Can you get the play list from the Blues workshops at the weekend

Brian from Glasgow was after a few of the tracks

Must admit I love the music in the Blues room made my weekend

Sorry all you guys that never went
But as a sign said

Cambs: Where the Gods come to dance and us mere mortals just sit and watch

william

Emma
19th-November-2002, 02:25 PM

Cambs: Where the Gods come to dance and us mere mortals just sit and watch

william

No!! :what:

The thing that was so great about Camber for me was it's complete lack of elitism. I only had one refusal all weekend, and that was at 4.30 am, when the guy I'd asked was exhausted. Everyone was dancing with everyone. No gods, no mortals. :nice:

Gus
19th-November-2002, 02:26 PM
Hi Guss

Can you get the play list from the Blues workshops at the weekend

william

Sorry .. but if its like last time the DJs tend to keep their own lists .... upstairs we tended to keep an eye on each others playlists .... but there was no central list kept.

Best bet is to contact the DJ's directly and ask them.

Rachel
19th-November-2002, 02:28 PM
We were probably dancing next to one another!! Yes, probably - that would be ironic!

What do you look like? Where were you dancing? I was mostly dancing on the right, near the dj booth, or at the back or the room. Um, what do I look like? Well, very small (5'2"), quite short very dark hair, wearing a long white dress with red flowers on Sat and a black skirt with long splits and black halter neck top on Sun.

You probably noticed (and danced with?) Marc, my boyfriend - he's quite small, brown hair, green eyes, v sexy (but, then, I'm biased!!), white trousers ... a brilliant but pretty wacky and unconventional jiver, dancing continually - mostly with Marilene from Jivebug. Does any of that sound familiar?

What about you - what do you look like? And Will?

I went out dancing last night (yeah, I am completely mad, but it was a friend's last night for a year cos she's having an op on her knee today - good luck Sharon!!) and couldn't believe I wasn't going to get my slow music fix :waycool: Are you going to go to the Chiswick (sp?) thingy in Jan? I'm thinking of developing a serious blues dancing habit :grin: Good for you! We had to go out last night, too, cos Marc was teaching and I was demonstrating, but I was absolutely dead on my feet and everything was automatic pilot.

Yes, I totally agree with you on the blues dancing ... I'd definitely like to visit Chiswick again, but not sure when that might be. Right now, I'm having trouble thinking of anything more than going straight to bed as soon as I get home from work! But let me know if you hear of any good blues events coming up.
Rachel

TheTramp
19th-November-2002, 02:35 PM
Best bet is to contact the DJ's directly and ask them.
Not sure if you were meaning the blues workshops, or the dancing in the night.

But, if it'll help, I played the last set of the weekend - 3am to 5am on Monday morning, and I'm quite happy to try to remember what it was that I played (I don't have a playlist - least, I did, but what I actually played was quite different to what I started out playing), and let you have a copy. If you ask nicely, I might even be persuaded to run you off a few of the tracks onto a CD.

Steve

Rachel
19th-November-2002, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by Graham
Just thought I'd capture this for posterity :wink: Oh you're just so lovely to me, Graham, aren't you!!! You could have at least made an attempt to persuade me that I'm not an idiot? I know it may have been a lie, but it might have made me feel nice ...
R.

Emma
19th-November-2002, 02:37 PM
[B]

What about you - what do you look like? And Will?
[b]

Oh dear, isn't it impossible, I don't remember you.. :sad: if I saw a pic I might. I'm also small (5ft3) with short spiky red hair and glasses. I was wearing a short black skirt and black vest Sat and grey trousers and a black tshirt Sunday. I danced all over the place but was based on the other side of the stage from the dj booth.

Last night was amazingly good, actually, guess I haven't got out of the habit of being exhausted but dancing my socks off yet!! :grin:

TheTramp
19th-November-2002, 02:37 PM
I'd definitely like to visit Chiswick again, but not sure when that might be
It's on January 4th 2003 - whole day of lessons - whole night of freestyle - call Nina on 0208 4521245 (I don't get any kickbacks for this :( )

See you there!!

Hope that helps.

Steve

Rachel
19th-November-2002, 02:46 PM
I'm also small (5ft3) with short spiky red hair and glasses. Yes, just so many people there - and far more people staying right to the end than previously. But I'll look out for you, or anyone with short spiky red hair at future events now!

Dreadful Scathe
19th-November-2002, 02:51 PM

I danced all over the place

That'll be your partners fault for leading badly ;)

Emma
19th-November-2002, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by Dreadful Scathe

That'll be your partners fault for leading badly ;)

..either that or my new-found propensity for improvisation!! :wink:

william_ceroc
19th-November-2002, 02:55 PM
Will take you up on your offer for the Music
loved you set was there till 430 on the sat night coulnt last much longer had been up for 24 hrs the night before

Cant rem any of you guys,cant even rem what I was wearing except the last night in the Blues room was wearing loud stripey Orange t shirt and baggy gray pants sitting on the stage if I wasnt dancing

managed to stay till just after 4am

as for the Blues on the 4 just booking flights looking at other nights before and after to go to

william

DavidB
19th-November-2002, 03:02 PM
We had a good time. We never get chance to dance enough - on Friday we had to practice at 2:30am when the upstairs room closed, and we were too busy warming up on Saturday. We finally got to dance after the cabaret, and by then we are really tired. Plus I'd had a couple of drinks to settle my nerves! So I apologise to Emma and Rachel (and everyone else I danced with) if my leads were a little too relaxed... I promise I'll be sober next time.

The standard of dancing has got so much better. Even then I was surprised by how many people were really trying to interpret the music. That just didn't happen a few years ago.

I enjoyed the mixture of music. It's nice to have the luxury of two rooms playing different styles, and you can go to whichever one you feel like.

But the best thing about Camber is that you can talk to people, not just dance with them.

David

Graham
19th-November-2002, 03:06 PM
Oh you're just so lovely to me, Graham, aren't you!!! You could have at least made an attempt to persuade me that I'm not an idiot? I know it may have been a lie, but it might have made me feel nice ...
R. If you want me to be lovely to you (try, at least!), just get yourself up here and ask me for a dance! :grin:

Franck
19th-November-2002, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by TheTramp
But, if it'll help, I played the last set of the weekend - 3am to 5am on Monday morning, and I'm quite happy to try to remember what it was that I played (I don't have a playlist - least, I did, but what I actually played was quite different to what I started out playing), and let you have a copy.Hi Steve,

Great to have you on the Forum. I see, you have managed to make for lost time wrt number of posts you made today alone :really: :nice:

Re. your offer above, may I point you to the 'Playlists' thread in the DJ Booth area of the Forum, where 'nice DJs' have posted their playlists after the event... I realise you did not take note on the night, but if you get the chance and are happy to share, get posting!

Franck.

Emma
19th-November-2002, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by DavidB
So I apologise to Emma and Rachel (and everyone else I danced with) if my leads were a little too relaxed... I promise I'll be sober next time.
[b]
Not at all! :cheers: Nothing wrong with your lead at all David!

[b]

But the best thing about Camber is that you can talk to people, not just dance with them.

Hee hee, erm, yeah, must try and fit that in next time. :nice: I think the conversation I had with you and Lily was about the longest I had in the dance venues all weekend. It was great to meet you guys - looking forward to next time! I'm planning a trip to a Central London venue in the near future, and hope you'll make it to deepest South East London sometime :waycool:

TheTramp
19th-November-2002, 03:14 PM
Hiya Franck

Nice to be here. Wish I'd known about this place many moons ago.

As for the number of posts. I'm pretty quiet in my job at the moment. Need something else to make it through the day. I'm well over a thousand posts on the EZ-boards I post on. I hope that you don't have to pay for this board according to the number of posts on it :grin:

Playlist - as far as I remember it anyhow, and please don't ask what the order was - will go up sometime this afternoon.

Steve

Rachel
19th-November-2002, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by DavidB
So I apologise to Emma and Rachel (and everyone else I danced with) if my leads were a little too relaxed... I promise I'll be sober next time. David David, you just keep on drinking ... your dancing was wonderful - of course!!

Marc said to me that he thought your teaching style was fantastic - both you and Lily - and your workshop even persuaded him that he might like to have a go at learning WCS after all.

I was amazed what a difference it made to my jive dancing when I tried to incorporate some of those WCS steps you taught us. I only wished I could have got another dance with you after having done your workshop, too.

Hopefully another time?
Rachel