PDA

View Full Version : Blackpool 2004 DVD

Sheepman
1st-June-2004, 01:04 PM
It (or rather they - there are 4 DVDs included) arrived in the post about an hour ago, so hopefully I can end the speculation about how long we have to wait for this.

I haven't had time to watch more than about 10 minutes so far, but the good news is, that most :wink: people are dancing in time with the music. I'll need a few days before coming up with objective appraisal.

Greg

Mary
1st-June-2004, 08:01 PM
After speaking to Greg came rushing home expecting to be able to watch the DVD - hmmmph, ours not arrived yet.:sad:

M

ChrisA
1st-June-2004, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by Mary
hmmmph, ours not arrived yet.:sad:
I'm not very knowledgeable about this sort of thing... is it reasonable for it to take three months before the DVDs come out?

It seems a hell of a long time to me... :tears:

Chris

Sheepman
2nd-June-2004, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by ChrisA
It seems a hell of a long time to me... :tears:
It is, but it does seem to be normal. So all credit should go to Andy Fleming, who I believe got the last Rock Bottoms DVD out within 2 weeks of the event, despite the event being a whole weekend, I think there are probably 2 main reasons behind this speed.

1) There is only one camera involved, so there is much less footage to be edited, and no worries about fading in and out from different camera angles.

2) The format for the DVD (no videos are produced) is now well rehearsed, which must make it easier to decide what goes in where.

Having watched a bit more of the Blackpool DVD, I would say that there are too many camera angles (3 in all I think). Shots that are taken practically from overhead are pretty much a waste of time, especially as the backlighting effect, from reflection of the spotlights means only a very small area of the floor is covered, (and most of the shots I've seen from this camera haven't managed to synchronise the music.)
So far, I think it is much better than last years video, but I really would like to see a static camera, especially for the finals, so you can watch all the finalists all the time. Most of the time you have no idea what the crowd are hollering and whooping about, because the camera is not on the relevant couple.

Greg

ElaineB
12th-June-2004, 05:51 PM
Is anyone still waiting for theirs?? I haven't received my DVD yet and emailed Chancetwodance about it last Thursday,but have not had a response.......... :confused:

Elaine

Gareth
13th-June-2004, 01:17 AM
Must be a regional thing.............still waiting for mine too :tears:

Peter
13th-June-2004, 01:27 PM
Must be a regional thing.............still waiting for mine too :tears:

I don't think its regional - I live close to Sheepman and don't have mine ....

Sheepman
14th-June-2004, 04:47 PM
I live close to Sheepman and don't have mine .... :really:
I can't believe it, are there really just the 2 of us that have got the DVDs so far?

Looking at some of the showcases/teams, (Disc 3) there may be technical problems with the DVDs, though it was on a friends "ancient" (nearly 2 years old) player - lots of jumping and skipping, and I'm not talking about the dancing. I'd be interested in what others find.

Greg

Divissima
14th-June-2004, 04:59 PM
Well, I ordered a video and I still haven't received it. I guess it may be different suppliers for videos - has anyone who ordered a vid received it yet??

DavidB
14th-June-2004, 05:28 PM
lots of jumping and skipping, and I'm not talking about the dancingrecorded DVDs are very sensitive to dust and fingerprints on the surface. I've used a cleaning spray from Maplin, together with a lens cloth, to clean several DVDRs - this has made a significant improvement in playback.

Boozy Bird
14th-June-2004, 06:22 PM
Well, I ordered a video and I still haven't received it. I guess it may be different suppliers for videos - has anyone who ordered a vid received it yet??

I have ordered a video too but it hasn't arrived yet, can't wait to see it!

Divissima
18th-June-2004, 01:12 PM
Anyone else still waiting for their C2D vid or DVD?? :tears:

Chicklet
18th-June-2004, 01:37 PM
yes'm

Jayne
18th-June-2004, 01:40 PM
Anyone else still waiting for their C2D vid or DVD?? :tears:
Still waiting... :tears:

J

Sheepman
18th-June-2004, 02:30 PM
Still waiting... :tears:

J How much do Blockbusters charge for a night's rental? I think I see a business opportunity here :wink:

It does seem really odd that as far as I know, only 2 people have got the DVDs, are we the unwitting beta testers? Perhaps the next batch will have better sound quality and none of that jumping going on? :devil:

Greg

ChrisA
18th-June-2004, 03:50 PM
It does seem really odd that as far as I know, only 2 people have got the DVDs, are we the unwitting beta testers? Perhaps the next batch will have better sound quality and none of that jumping going on? :devil: Odd? It's unbelievable, IMHO.

It is now three and a half months since the comp. What on earth takes this long?

I'm sorry, the comp was a great day, but the organisation of getting DVD out is on the very poor side of dreadful AFAICS - if there's a reason for the delay, why can't they tell us?

Chris

DavidY
18th-June-2004, 05:29 PM
It does seem really odd that as far as I know, only 2 people have got the DVDs, are we the unwitting beta testers? I have mine as well - it arrived at around the same time (maybe a day or 2 later) as the others mentioned on this thread.

So that makes 3 of us...

Boozy Bird
19th-June-2004, 11:34 AM
:clap: My videos have just arrived!

jiveclone
19th-June-2004, 05:25 PM
I have also recieved a copy of the DVD's, they were delivered about a week ago.

ChrisA
20th-June-2004, 06:55 PM
It is now three and a half months since the comp. What on earth takes this long?

I'm sorry, the comp was a great day, but the organisation of getting DVD out is on the very poor side of dreadful AFAICS - if there's a reason for the delay, why can't they tell us?

Ooh... I got some negative rep for this post. Without a comment, of course.

Someone from C2D perchance?

Whoever it was, if anyone thinks there's anything unreasonable about me complaining about having to wait 3 and a half months for the DVDs - especially since they cashed my cheque on the 6th April, well over two months ago - perhaps they'd care to explain why they think that, rather than just hitting me with some anonymous negative rep.

As I said in my earlier post, if there's a reason for the delay, why can't they tell us?

Chris

ElaineB
20th-June-2004, 08:47 PM
Chris, forgot to tell you, 'Chance to dance' responded to me. All DVD's are meant to be posted by this week-end, so looks as though we should get them tomorrow or the day after.

Thanks for the dances today by the way! :flower:

Elaine

ChrisA
20th-June-2004, 09:37 PM
Chris, forgot to tell you, 'Chance to dance' responded to me. All DVD's are meant to be posted by this week-end, so looks as though we should get them tomorrow or the day after.
Hurrah !!

Thanks for the dances today by the way! :flower:

Yep, likewise. We had a great afternoon. :flower: :hug:

Chris

Peter
25th-June-2004, 02:07 PM
The good news - mine arrived today; discs 2/3/4 are fantastic ...

The bad news - the disc labelled 1 is actually 2 and the disc labelled 2 doesnt work at all ...

ElaineB
25th-June-2004, 03:13 PM
:flower:
The good news - mine arrived today; discs 2/3/4 are fantastic ...

The bad news - the disc labelled 1 is actually 2 and the disc labelled 2 doesnt work at all ...

Yep, ours arrived too! All DVD's functioning, so sorry to hear about yours!

See you at W-S-M with the team?

Elaine

Gareth
25th-June-2004, 03:18 PM
Got mine too. I have`nt had time to watch it yet :tears:

Jayne
7th-July-2004, 10:40 AM
What's the latest?

Is anyone else still waiting for their DVD, or has everyone received them now? (No need to reply if you've already said that you've received it - ta! :flower: )

*Still* eagerly awaiting it....

J *sigh*

Chicklet
7th-July-2004, 10:43 AM
was wondering the same thing myself this morning, still no sign....

Rachel
7th-July-2004, 12:54 PM
Me too - we're still waiting ... When I emailed on 30 June, their response was: 'I will pass you details onto the DVD company and they will be intouch with you as they have sent all DVDs out.'

I wrote back to say it was actually the videos that we'd ordered, but haven't heard anything further from them.
Rachel

Jive Brummie
7th-July-2004, 11:12 PM
Me too - we're still waiting ... When I emailed on 30 June, their response was: 'I will pass you details onto the DVD company and they will be intouch with you as they have sent all DVDs out.'

I wrote back to say it was actually the videos that we'd ordered, but haven't heard anything further from them.
Rachel

:yeah:

under par
8th-July-2004, 02:23 AM

Rachel

Mrs Par and I are still waiting too...............we hope they get it out before the next comp at Blackpool. :wink:

Peter
8th-July-2004, 09:21 AM
:flower: Yep, ours arrived too! All DVD's functioning, so sorry to hear about yours! See you at W-S-M with the team? Elaine

I will be there .... I can barely contain my excitement ... only 8 nights to go ..

Jayne
8th-July-2004, 09:32 AM
Actually, my post was a loaded question....

I know someone who contacted C2D the other day about not having received their DVD. They were told that all DVDs were sent out two weeks ago and so it had presumably got lost in the post. I know the royal mail loses 14.4 million letters a year - but why do Blackpool DVDs form such a high proportion of lost mail, I wonder....?

C2D said they would forward this person's address on to the DVD company and get them to re-send it.

Just thought you might like to know....

(FYI: achance2dance@hotmail.com :flower: )

J :nice:

Divissima
8th-July-2004, 09:41 AM
Still waiting for my video too. Has anyone actually received a video?

Sheepman
8th-July-2004, 04:52 PM
Still waiting for my video too. Has anyone actually received a video? I believe Boozy Bird got hers a couple of weeks ago.

Greg

under par
8th-July-2004, 04:55 PM
I believe Boozy Bird got hers a couple of weeks ago.

Greg

Got mine today, :cheers: :cheers:

Been watching all afternoon...................aahhhh!

Rachel
9th-July-2004, 12:25 PM
Got mine today, :cheers: :cheers:

Been watching all afternoon...................aahhhh! Yeahhhh!! We've just got ours today, too. Really excited now, but Marc says we can be seen there in the freestyle bits and Open ... suddenly very nervous about watching myself!
Rachel

under par
9th-July-2004, 12:32 PM
Yeahhhh!! We've just got ours today, too. Really excited now, but Marc says we can be seen there in the freestyle bits and Open ... suddenly very nervous about watching myself!
Rachel

You and Mark look great on mine , so don't worry :hug:

Rachel
9th-July-2004, 02:39 PM
You and Mark look great on mine , so don't worry :hug: Thank you, U.P.! Can I borrow your copy if we don't look any good on ours??

I can't give you any rep, so have some of these instead :kiss: :kiss: :kiss:
R.

Mary
11th-July-2004, 11:36 AM
Just got our missing disc 3 of the DVD. Wow, those showcases are just gobsmackingly awesome. The standard this year is frighteningly high. Fantastic!!! (sorry, shouldn't use that word :devil: ) Fabulous performances. :worthy: :worthy:

M

DavidY
11th-July-2004, 07:15 PM
Just got our missing disc 3 of the DVD. I had all 4 discs to start with - but I just received a new disk 3 as well.

The insert says that the original disc 3s missed out one of the cabaret performances (I didn't notice :blush: ) & this was a replacement.

Simon
11th-July-2004, 07:53 PM
There have been lots of comments about late arrivals/missing DVDs, but what's the verdict on the quality?

I've watched one of the DVDs and the sound quality was very poor at times and the image drifted out of focus quite a bit, too. :sad:

Andy McGregor
12th-July-2004, 01:30 AM
but what's the verdict on the quality?

I'd love to know the answer to this one. I thought that last years video was impossible to watch without getting annoyed with the quality. This year I thought I'd wait and see what the video was like before parting with my money. Is it worth it?

ChrisA
12th-July-2004, 09:09 AM
There have been lots of comments about late arrivals/missing DVDs, but what's the verdict on the quality?

I've watched one of the DVDs and the sound quality was very poor at times and the image drifted out of focus quite a bit, too. :sad:

......... :yeah:

A package dropped through the letterbox Saturday morning... 'surely not the Blackpool DVDs', I thought... :waycool:

... I was right... and wrong.

Just a replacement for the Disc 3 originally sent out, since 'during the duplicating process we accidentally deleted the 38 Flowors (sic) Team Cabaret routine', according to their With Compliments slip.

Ok, fair enough, I thought. So in the afternoon we had a look at the DVD.

I was appalled by the quality. Camera panning and zooming was frequently jerky; the camera angles are completely naff - feet chopped off, left or right of frames chopped off, and long wide angle shots that added nothing IMHO, while making the detail in the dancing hard to see. And to make the whole thing almost unwatchable, the sound is consistently dreadful - distorted almost throughout. We got better sound quality from the ancient video camera we used to record some of our practice sessions, with music coming from my laptop and some rather cheap PC speakers. :mad:

[I wondered if it was the DVD player or TV playing up, but I've checked the DVD on the PC and it's the same.]

Can you tell that I'm just a shade unimpressed? As I've said before, the competition was fab, apart from the over-running. But the quality of the single DVD that's arrived so far (despite C2D assuring me that all of them were sent out nearly three weeks ago now) is nothing short of dreadful. :angry:

I am reminded of Rock Bottoms in February, where our very own Asif did a damn sight better job of it with nothing more than a handheld digital video cam. And the RB team, stars that they are, got the DVDs out with everything on them within a fortnight of the weekend. :clap: :flower: :worthy:

I've watched the video of Blackpool 2003, and although the sound was out of sync with the dancing at times, I thought the quality of the camerawork was far better. Methinks C2D should consider an alternative video company.

Chris

PS I've also emailed C2D with a summary of these comments.

PPS Last time I mentioned the length of the wait for the DVDs, I got some anonymous negative rep. Perhaps if anyone wants to do the same thing again they would at least give a reason this time, or even post on this thread instead.

Andy McGregor
12th-July-2004, 09:44 AM
I was appalled by the quality.

Thanks for the revue. I want a record of the day but I don't think I'll buy a copy:tears:

As ChrisA says, the day itself was fabulous:clap: But would you proudly put on the DVD to show your mother or uncle how the day went? Or would you show it to another dancer as an example of what to expect on the day?

I have videos of the LeJive champs going back as far as 1995 an the quality of them is better than last years effort - especially in terms of synchronization between dancers and music:tears:

Also, on one of them there is a very young Nigel Anderson dancing with a bouncy hand!!!!

ChrisA
12th-July-2004, 10:04 AM
Thanks for the revue. I want a record of the day but I don't think I'll buy a copy:tears:

I'll update with some thoughts on the rest of the DVDs, if and when we ever get them.

I do want a record of the day - if it wasn't for that then I'd be seriously considering asking for a refund.

Chris

Rachel
12th-July-2004, 10:09 AM
Oh ... I thought the quality for this year was great! I'm really impressed by it. But then, I'm not technically knowledgeable enough to be critical....

I still haven't managed to watch most of the video - but the highlight of it so far has been ... Mouth to Mouth team cabaret. I missed that at Blackpool, as well as Scintillating Sinners. I managed to see the Sinners at Southport and was gob-smacked at that performance - definite winners!!

But this was the first time we'd seen Mouth to Mouth - it's hilarious - sheer genius! Who's in it? Am I right in thinking I spotted Stephen (Penguin)?

Rachel

Rachel
12th-July-2004, 10:28 AM
Chris and Jayne - Marc's mother was watching some of the video with us this weekend. And she immediately picked you two out as dancing really well. It's true - you do look great!!

(I realise I'd made a mistake earlier when talking about dancing in the Open - stupid or what! I've never danced an Open category in my life!!!)
R.

ChrisA
12th-July-2004, 10:37 AM
Chris and Jayne - Marc's mother was watching some of the video with us this weekend. And she immediately picked you two out as dancing really well. It's true - you do look great!!

Thank you !!!! :waycool: :flower: :hug:

(What do these judges know, anyway... :rofl: :devil: )

Maybe we'll even get to see ourselves one day.... :rofl:

Sheepman
12th-July-2004, 03:42 PM
but what's the verdict on the quality?

I didn't say much in my early postings on quality, I didn't want to raise/lower expectations, little did I realise most people wouldn't get theirs for weeks. :sad:
Whereas last year's video is painful to watch, (because of the lack of synchronisation between sound and picture), at least most couples are dancing on the beat this year!

But the sound is badly distorted with very high volume for most of the DVDs, is this a problem on the videos as well?

IMO the camerawork isn't significantly better or worse than last year's, though the overhead shots are a waste of time, also, couples who danced near the edges of the dancefloor (not under the spotlights) disappear due to the lower light level. There are a few out of focus shots, but I didn't think this was anything unusual for this type of production.

My main problem with it is the same one I have for all competition videos I've seen produced in this country - the aimless panning around from one couple to the next. Why can't we have videos showing all couples on the floor, so you can concentrate on what each couple is doing, rather than depend on who the camera operator wants you to see?

Greg

Chicklet
20th-July-2004, 05:04 PM
Anyone else still waiting??

And anyone know if they are on hols or something? I received a reply to an e-mail enquiry on 8th July but nothing to follow ups 12th and 15th unfortunately.
C

Divissima
20th-July-2004, 05:09 PM
Hi Chicklet

I'm still waiting too. Just when I thought my order had gone astray in the post I received a comp slip and a receipt for my cheque apologising for the delay. It's now two weeks on and still no video - I emailed them but no reply.

C2D are usually well organised - must just be a blip. But hope I get it soon - so much I want to watch again, moves to steal, etc :wink:

ChrisA
20th-July-2004, 06:07 PM
I'm still waiting too.

I'm waiting no longer!!!

:waycool:

At last. And I've also seen the vid of the 02 Blackpool comp, so I'm no longer surprised that the guy at Jellybean films I've been in touch with about the quality of replacement disc 3 (that was sent a couple of weeks ago) was so upset by my less than favourable 1st impressions.

The quality is greatly improved on a couple of years ago - my main criticism would be of the static cameras based in the gallery, which often missed half the dancers and those that could be seen were grossly underexposed due to reflected light off the floor obviously fooling the automatic exposure - it was a big mistake to leave them unmanned and unadjusted.

And the sound of course. There's quite a lot of distortion, which drives me crazy. Some of the camera panning is jerky and the zooming loses focus - which considering the kit they were using seems a bit amateurish.

Just one other thing... Mr Jellybean tells me the discs are not designed to be watched on PCs. They work fine on mine, but I was pretty surprised at such a 20th century limitation.

But on balance, they're generally not bad at all. A pretty good record of the day, and the dancing mostly pretty clear. There are a few cuts where I'm not entirely convinced that the sound is in sync with the vid, but they are infrequent - for the most part the problems of last year do not reappear.

Chris

dannyboy
20th-July-2004, 09:13 PM
The quality of my DVD was "average" I'd say- never been to Blackpool before to can't compare it to other years' footage. Thoroughly enjoyed watching it all again, brought it all back, even my dodgy efforts in DWAS :blush: (I'm the one with the purple shirt but that's all I'm saying). Team cabarets were 1st rate, Scintillating Sinners- FABULOUS and well-deserved 1st place, but Mouth to mouth was one of the best routines I have seen, were they were Jocks too? :worthy: Agree with Chris, the cameras needed to be further back taking it all in, and not zoomed in on each couple in turn. It's so frustrating when you hear a big cheer, but it's for another couple, and by the time the camera moves there, the show's over :mad:

Sheepman
21st-July-2004, 01:57 PM
It's so frustrating when you hear a big cheer, but it's for another couple, and by the time the camera moves there, the show's over :mad: :yeah:
Would it be considered too adventurous in this country for a competition video just to be a static shot of all the competitors? Are our attention spans so diminished by slick editing that we are incapable of watching the subject of the video rather than being "impressed" by the technical theatrics?

I watched a couple of minutes of coverage from "Party in the park" recently, I think the longest shot I saw was about 1/2 a second before the editor/producer swapped cameras. It was so irritating I had to turn it off.

At Weston-Super-Mare there were lines marked on the floor to show the limits of the shots for filming (though some competitors still danced outside the lines) it would be so nice if the video/DVD showed all the dancing.

I know it would increase costs (but presumably not by a lot if all it needs is a static camera) but maybe if 2 versions of videos/DVDs were on offer from such events, then if enough people ordered it we could have a choice when ordering of either the "static" coverage, or of the "professional" coverage. I know which one I'd be choosing.

Greg

Divissima
21st-July-2004, 04:52 PM
My videos arrived last night - hurrah! :clap:

But I won't have any time to watch them before heading down to the Isle of Wight tonight :tears:

Chicklet
23rd-July-2004, 09:40 AM
Finally received my DVDs on Wed and was glued to them for two nights.

Personal opinion ref the close ups / v wide view issue, I have my DVD in the bedoom (long story :innocent: ) with just a wee telly and had there not been close(r) ups bringing a few dancers into view at a time I would NOT have had a very good view of the detail of anything. So on behalf of all the small telly owners, thanks for coming in now and again. I note the comment that there were big woops from time to time where there was obviously something going on out of shot....shame we couldn't see them all, yes, but by the same token a lot of "big moves" did get on. (David and Bryony and that one arm skating thing was fab, and I had missed it before!!) And worth noting that at least the big woops were there this time, thank you, thank you for whoever decided not to dub the music!

All in all I'm really pleased, it's a good momento of a great day and one that I will watch time afer time. I don't think it works as an instructional vid for people wanting to pick up new moves, but it didn't try to say that on the tin.

Question 1: Intermed Final, who was the girl in the red ballet style shoes, red top and knee length navy / black skirt?

Question 2: given that it is meant to be a momento of the day, would anyone like to see a camera "doing the rounds" during the day taking sneaky shots of men with no shirts on and Peter Phillipses and girls in amazing breast scafolding sitting on knees of gorgeous men in tight trousers :rofl:

c :D

Peter
10th-August-2004, 05:23 PM
So far I have had two copies of disc 1 but neither is recognised by my DVD player. Maybe disc 1 was recorded in a different format to discs 2-4.

Anyone had a similar problem?