PDA

View Full Version : Football or Dancing?

DavidY
29th-May-2004, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by Sheepman
The numbers did seem to be a bit lower than previous weeks, but that only seemed to be numbers of men. I can't understand why, surely dancers aren't really interested in a football match between 2 teams they don't support. I have a "double bluff" theory on this:- Usually on a big match night there are too many men at a dance, because the ladies stay away, thinking all the men are at home watching the match. The men now realise this, so stay away, while the women realise it too, so decide to come! One of my work colleagues had to patiently explain to me the other day that there is some sort of international football tournament coming up during June/July. I imagine that some of the matches will inconsiderately be scheduled at times when normal folk go dancing. :wink:

So what will you be doing when there's football on in June/July?

DavidB
29th-May-2004, 03:31 PM
Shouldn't there be an option for "I'm Scottish, so it doesn't matter"??? :devil: :devil:

Tiggerbabe
29th-May-2004, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by DavidB
Shouldn't there be an option for "I'm Scottish, so it doesn't matter"??? :devil: :devil:
:rofl: :rofl: cheeky boy!

Dance Demon
29th-May-2004, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by DavidB

Or even an option for " I'm Scottish, and I'll probably watch the games involving Satans eleven...and pray that they lose "...:devil: :devil:

jiveclone
29th-May-2004, 06:38 PM
Why would anyone choose to watch a bunch of men running around a field in tight shorts instead of going dancing?

Unless they are either female or gay... :devil:

TheTramp
29th-May-2004, 06:54 PM
You missed out the option:

"I am a man, and I think that DavidB should, in the light of who he supports (Leeds Utd, 2nd division here we come), think that DavidB should probably run screaming from any discussion that even hints at being about football."

Trampy

xSalsa_Angelx
31st-May-2004, 08:49 AM
Am I the only woman that will be watching *Some* football??

Stuart M
31st-May-2004, 10:25 PM
Don't know whether this happens elsewhere, but sometimes in Glasgow when the dancing clashes with major football, it's a shortage of women that's the result - not the other way round! I remember the night Celtic were in the UEFA cup final - the ratio of men to women was 2:1.

I think the ladies are mistakenly trying to second-guess the guys on such occasions - "Oh there's football on there won't be any guys so I won't go". OK, normally it's easy for the ladies to second-guess us - how do you think so many of us are fooled into thinking we lead well :grin: - but in this case something needs to be realised. Guys into dancing are not, usually, into football.

PS maybe the Celtic game was a bad example - most of the guys at Ceroc that night were probably Rangers fans hiding...

ElaineB
6th-June-2004, 09:58 PM
Am I the only woman that will be watching *Some* football??

Yup!!! I watched Bristol City move up to the first division (when that was the original division one!) as a kid. I then saw them thump straight back down again............ Not sure that I ever recovered from the abuse of being forced to watch footie!!!!! :rofl:

Anyone for Henman?? :rofl: :worthy: :rofl:

Elaine

Nick M
7th-June-2004, 11:17 AM
Anyone for Henman??

Which team does he play for???

Northants Girly
24th-June-2004, 10:10 AM
Well the Ceroc-Central Rugby venue is closed tonight so hopefully that will mean that the good dancers Northampton lost on a Thursday will venture back tonight rather than watch the football ?? hint . . hint . .

Kay
25th-June-2004, 08:16 AM
How about football and dancing? Some of the guys at O'Donaghue's last night were glued to the television sets, so the girls had to drag them on the dance floor.

Northants Girly
25th-June-2004, 09:31 AM
Thought I'd let everyone know how we got on in Northampton last night . . .
The venue was very quiet even though some of the Rugby dancers ventured down - thanks for coming and for the dances guys! :nice:
For the duration of the match we had a TV on at each end of the venue. :what:
Most of the guys hovered between the TV and the dance floor (which was fine) - until it came to the penalties . . . . then there were just 2 couples left dancing!! But I'm not complaining - I had some great dances and it was good to have the floor to yourself!
Bit of a surreal night though . .

bigdjiver
25th-June-2004, 11:55 AM
And at Bedford we had a telly on the bar - As I suspected it was mostly the really keen dancers that turned up, and with Roy doing a "best of the classics, now and next" set, and Michaela following my suggestion and doing a doubles class, and with room to practise arials, a super night. Shame about the footy though ...

Bill
25th-June-2004, 01:09 PM
Most of the guys hovered between the TV and the dance floor (which was fine) - until it came to the penalties . . . . then there were just 2 couples left dancing!!
Bit of a surreal night though . .

As Kay said above it was much the same in Aberdeen last night. At one point there was one couple on the floor but even the girls were watching the penalties...though that might be because they couldn't get the men to budge !!!

Plenty of room to move...although I did watch a couple of the kicks myself !

Lynn
8th-September-2005, 09:58 AM
It would be dancing for me, given the choice... but couldn't resist mentioning a little match that was on last night.... :whistle: that NI won! :clap:

drathzel
8th-September-2005, 10:12 AM
It would be dancing for me, given the choice... but couldn't resist mentioning a little match that was on last night.... :whistle: that NI won! :clap:
:yeah: woohoo, hence why i was over excitable the last 1hr of dancing last night!

I try and do both... dancing then highlights if the football! Its the only way! :D

clevedonboy
8th-September-2005, 11:55 AM
Just as well cricket's played in the daytime though or events for the next few days would suffer lack of men

Dance Demon
8th-September-2005, 05:36 PM

And I watched every minute Lynn...... :clap: :clap: ......Ian Wrights "little schoolboy in the huff" act at the end was just pure dead brilliant :rofl: :rofl:

Clive Long
8th-September-2005, 05:55 PM
Absolutely :clap: :clap: NI

I suppose it is too much to hope that England don't qualify for the 2000 and whatever World Cup :devil: .. so we aren't "treated" to a build up that is even longer than the Southport count down. :whistle:

And what are the odds on Rooney ending up like Gazza - dribbling and incoherent on some TV football show - as an example of great talent gone to waste?

An ex-g/f of mine said my dislike of any televised sport was one of my few redeeming qualities :rolleyes:

CRL

WittyBird
8th-September-2005, 05:58 PM
An ex-g/f of mine said my dislike of any televised sport was one of my few redeeming qualities :rolleyes:

CRL
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: few redeeming qualities

Dazzle
9th-September-2005, 05:20 AM
According to the poll so far, when football is on we can expect to have 10 spare men! :rofl: Like that happens often :sick: !

That being said we were hammered numbers-wise by Champions League Football last season at our Tuesday nights. And we DID always have spare men on those nights! So, Forum polls are frighteningly accurate!!! :eek:

killingtime
9th-September-2005, 10:23 AM
According to the poll so far, when football is on we can expect to have 10 spare men! :rofl: Like that happens often :sick: !

That being said we were hammered numbers-wise by Champions League Football last season at our Tuesday nights. And we DID always have spare men on those nights! So, Forum polls are frighteningly accurate!!! :eek:

Ace we can now use forum polls at the basis for any study :nice:. On Tuesday in Edinburgh (this week) we had 5 extra men :sad:.

stewart38
9th-September-2005, 10:54 AM

Go to windsor when football is on ,always more men

I think for me depends on the match. Any world cup game that England are in or European id stay home or go out and watch it

If its a friendly prob not

Thor
9th-September-2005, 02:50 PM

:yeah:

:clap: :cheers: :rofl:

God bless NI! - Our wee green cousins across the wee sea can manage what we can't!

-Thor

carolinemcewan
12th-September-2005, 04:34 PM
To be quite honest football now tempts me, maybe not as far as missing dancing for it, but if it's the alternative to the >@{&%& **&^$£%* CRICKET :devil: , then football, rugby, snooker, golf, even WOMENS GOLF I can now watch! SO in answer to the original question.. ok it's dancing, but to my new question stated purely for something to write it's ANYTHING over cricket :angry: ! Thank you and good day! :cool:

stewart38
12th-September-2005, 04:42 PM
To be quite honest football now tempts me, maybe not as far as missing dancing for it, but if it's the alternative to the >@{&%& **&^$£%* CRICKET :devil: , then football, rugby, snooker, golf, even WOMENS GOLF I can now watch! SO in answer to the original question.. ok it's dancing, but to my new question stated purely for something to write it's ANYTHING over cricket :angry: ! Thank you and good day! :cool:

Can i take it your not bowled over by cricket then :sad:

WittyBird
12th-September-2005, 04:46 PM
Can i take it your not bowled over by cricket then :sad:

do you not think its on a 'par' with golf :rofl:

CJ
16th-September-2005, 04:18 PM
do you not think its on a 'par' with golf :rofl:

Not as much bull as darts!!!

Stuart
16th-September-2005, 04:32 PM
I think for me depends on the match.

:yeah:

If certain teams were playing, I'd almost certainly go out dancing!

doc martin
16th-September-2005, 04:37 PM
NI won! :clap:

To paraphrase a Welsh supporter after their rugby team famously lost to Western Samoa....

"It's lucky we weren't playing against the whole of Ireland" :wink:

For my part, if football is on the tv, I would consider it a reason to do ANYTHINHG else, especially go dancing (except possibly ironing :o )

Martin

DavidY
31st-May-2006, 10:07 PM
Not sure whether it's good form to resurrect my own thread :blush: , but I will anyway!:wink:

WittyBird
31st-May-2006, 10:13 PM
c'mon England :grin:

Paul F
31st-May-2006, 10:47 PM
Does anyone know if England are playing a friendly on Saturday? If so, what time is the kick off?

I wouldn't mind watching it while I am at Southport- as long as it doesn't interfere with too much dancing of course :wink:

BeccaB
31st-May-2006, 11:07 PM
No one should worry too much about the men lacking, it won't last very long.

I mean are the expectations that high for England anyway? :confused:

It'll pick up again after the first round :rofl:

ducasi
31st-May-2006, 11:27 PM
c'mon England :grin:
:na:

C'mon Scotland (http://trinidadtobago.worldcupblog.org/1/warriors-enlist-tartan-army.html)!

TheTramp
1st-June-2006, 10:21 AM
Does anyone know if England are playing a friendly on Saturday? If so, what time is the kick off?

Yeah. They're playing Jamaica at 2pm

drathzel
1st-June-2006, 11:16 AM
How about i am a woman and i will do both!

Twirly
1st-June-2006, 12:03 PM
Dance, dance and yet more dancing. I have no desire to watch guys playing footie... and am very relieved to read lots of the responses above as I was a bit concerned that we'd have some very "dry" nights coming up. :clap:

Russell Saxby
1st-June-2006, 02:42 PM
Tuesday 20th June is Englands last group game, with an 8pm kick off. I did a straw poll at the venue the other week and quite a few poeple said they would probably end up watching the game - myself and doorstaff included. We have decided to shut the venue on this night and this way we can give everyone plenty of advance notice. :clap:

Paul F
1st-June-2006, 05:10 PM
Yeah. They're playing Jamaica at 2pm

I dont suppose anywhere in the resort will be showing it. Im trying to remember if there is a bar with a TV.

Rhythm King
1st-June-2006, 05:36 PM
I dont suppose anywhere in the resort will be showing it. Im trying to remember if there is a bar with a TV.
Have you checked out the Southport v Jamaica V Cliquey thread - possibly the answer to all your dreams, particularly if they include WittyBird, a feather duster and, well not much else really :whistle:

Paul F
1st-June-2006, 07:06 PM
Have you checked out the Southport v Jamaica V Cliquey thread - possibly the answer to all your dreams, particularly if they include WittyBird, a feather duster and, well not much else really :whistle:

Ah ha! I have just had a read through. Maybe I should have checked first :blush:

Piglet
3rd-June-2006, 02:15 PM
How sad is this....

This thread was started 2 years ago and Scotland still haven't got a mention :rofl: Just as well I'm not into fitba' - though I've entered some sort of sweeper and wouldn't mind winning it - can't remember who I chose to win the whole thing though, so if I do win it'll be a lovely surprise.

Beowulf
7th-June-2006, 09:36 AM
Pah! Football. As a geek I know nothing of this "football" of which you speak! I just wish it was all over and TV can get back to normal without every advert and TV program being about footie and hearing "Crazy flipping frog's We are the champions DING DING DING" remix :(

I turn on the Tv and everything is either Footie or Da Vinci Code. I'm living in fear of the "World Cup Da Vinci Code Special.. presented by The Crazy Frog"
(then I woke up.. and it was all just a bad dream)

So I'll be dancing as usual. (Usual? I've been once!)

ToeTrampler
8th-June-2006, 09:50 AM
I'm a man and i'll mostly be doing the dishes.

Seahorse
8th-June-2006, 01:39 PM
'fraid it's footie for me... one of the few occasions when I get to see the fellas.

Rhythm King
8th-June-2006, 02:12 PM
Pah! Football. ~snip~
I turn on the Tv and everything is either Footie or Da Vinci Code.

Or boring "Big Brother" :yawn:

Graham W
13th-June-2006, 07:18 PM
Yup!!! I watched Bristol City move up to the first division (when that was the original division one!) as a kid. I then saw them thump straight back down again............ Not sure that I ever recovered from the abuse of being forced to watch footie!!!!! :rofl:

Anyone for Henman?? :rofl: :worthy: :rofl:

Elaine

yeah I'd give him a shot, less pressure this time.
G

Cruella
22nd-June-2006, 05:38 PM
I understand that England have a game on sunday at 5pm. (Feel free to correct me if i'm wrong) What i want to know is, are there any men going to the Putney TJive or are you all going to be stuck in front of a TV somewhere? :sick:

Seahorse
22nd-June-2006, 06:14 PM
I understand that England have a game on sunday at 5pm. (Feel free to correct me if i'm wrong) What i want to know is, are there any men going to the Putney TJive or are you all going to be stuck in front of a TV somewhere? :sick:

Good point... was going to Putney till I saw this... :wink:

Rhythm King
22nd-June-2006, 06:55 PM
I'll be there - doing the workshop first as well :waycool:

Come on Guys - its only a game!

under par
22nd-June-2006, 07:05 PM
I understand that England have a game on sunday at 5pm. (Feel free to correct me if i'm wrong)

Correct you I will!:hug: the match starts at 1600 hours or 4pm live from Stuttgart

WittyBird
22nd-June-2006, 07:06 PM
Correct you I will!:hug: the match starts at 1600 hours or 4pm live from Stuttgart

What time does it start here?

SilverFox
22nd-June-2006, 07:15 PM
Damn! Was really looking forwards to the T-Jive, but supporting England has to take priority over dancing. It even trumps frotting...:blush:

Spicey and I will be found screaming at a plasma screen somewhere in London.:waycool:

:clap: :clap: Come on England!:clap: :clap:

:cheers:

under par
23rd-June-2006, 12:58 PM
:grin:
What time does it start here?

1600 or 4 honest:grin:

stewart38
27th-June-2006, 04:46 PM

Thats a joke yeah :what:

Jhutch
4th-April-2007, 10:12 AM
Football, cricket or dancing this evening. There is the roma v man u game (like watching man u but i am not a man u fan:wink: ), the cricket v sri lanka or ceroc:confused: However, judging by the cricket team's recent performances i think that the result will probably be known by the team the evening comes around:sad:

Paulthetrainer
4th-April-2007, 07:24 PM
In order of importance:

1= Watching Charlton Athletic play at The Valley/Dancing at Camber

3. Watching Charlton play on TV
4. Going dancing to my normal venue.
5. Watching England play in a proper tournament

Other than that I'm not interested in football on the TV. Its all Man U, Chelsea, Liverpool and Arsenal and I couldn't care less about the lot of them.