PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of the last 6 months: Who goes to Ceroc vs other venues?

Andy McGregor
28th-May-2004, 10:08 AM
I've just read part of the 'Feedback on Recent (Ceroc) Changes' thread. It dawned on me that I'd not been to a Ceroc class for ages* and had no idea what is going on and what those changes are.

It got me thinking: how many dancers only go to Ceroc classes, how many only go to other classes and how many go to both.

A great opportunity for a poll so here it is.

*I don't go to my nearest Ceroc class because it's very smoky: I'm not on that bandwagon here and if you'd like to know my thoughts on that subject you'll need to go here (http://209.151.91.205/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1344&highlight=smoking+and+dancing+dont+mix).

foxylady
28th-May-2004, 10:25 AM
For what its worth, I go where the dancing and company and music are good, and I don't really look at the label....

It so happens that some ceroc classes fall into the above category !:wink:

Sheepman
28th-May-2004, 11:08 AM
I think I've been to 6 Ceroc nights in the last 6 months, compared to about 60 or so non Ceroc dance nights. My local Ceroc venues don't score highly enough on some factors to tempt me away, despite the fact that, on 2 of those occasions, I was impressed by mostly great music, and the dance floor was excellent. The overcrowding, and the overall standard of dancing, means that I won't often be tempted back.
My favourite Ceroc venues are a significant journey away, (in terms of time rather than miles) and as I now DJ on a Friday night, that cuts out one of my favourites completely.

Also the smoking often is a problem for me.

Should I do a reassessment in light of the changes that have been talked about?

Greg

Gus
28th-May-2004, 12:36 PM
Good thread :nice: There are only two local Ceroc clubs ... the Hyde one is a nice venue but doesn't have a strong dancer core (...yet, its fairly new). I'm banned from the other one (:sad: ) but would only go 'cause my mates are there. The main drawback for both clubs is the uninspiring music and the fact that the teachers (though competent) are pretty new. To be fair, including the Blitz clubs, there are only a few teachers in the area that are experienced enough to tempt other teachers to do their classes.

For the main poart, the best venues for dancing standard is Bowden but that gets too packed.

The real shame is that we don't have the DJ or A list teachers like some of the southern clubs do, like Hipsters:sad:

Minnie M
28th-May-2004, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by foxylady
For what its worth, I go where the dancing and company and music are good, and I don't really look at the label....

:yeah:

Martin
28th-May-2004, 02:12 PM
I go where I can find some good music and some good dances.
Hipsters has a good set-up as it encorages this.

In the past Ceroc UK concertrated on the first 2 years of dancing - beginners and intermediate only.

From e-mails I have recieved from Mike it seems that Ceroc is trying to compete now for the more experienced dancer.

All good for us.

As to Australia - I did like Wiloughby as an effort was made to make this an advanced night, good music, attention to classes and on til 11:30pm
This attracted dancers from all over and made for a good night.

Sadly it has declined due to intermediate/advanced lessons going on for 1 hour 10 minutes more than once (yes I timed it while waiting to dance!) :tears:
Teaching standards not so hot some nights.
Does ANYONE want this? :sad:
Music, was good, now pot luck...:tears:
1/2 hour now knocked off and finishes at 11.
Now hard to spot any top dancers there :sad:
I did ask a friend if she wanted to go, she said "well I will go if you go as at least I will get 1 good dance"
Maybe it will turn around??? Hope so as it is 5 minutes from me.

philsmove
28th-May-2004, 10:33 PM
It’s called LeRoc down ere in Bristol so I guess that counts as
“ Modern Jive “

There is an interesting thread at

http://www.forum.leroc-in-bristol.co.uk/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=1_q_a;action=display;num=1076949256

Lounge Lizard
28th-May-2004, 10:54 PM
I have mainly been to smaller ceroc venues of late (excluding MJ venues where I am working)
and the music was soooo bad, dancing average and teaching predictable - no real buzz to the venue's

Gus
28th-May-2004, 11:47 PM
Originally posted by Lounge Lizard
I have mainly been to smaller ceroc venues of late (excluding MJ venues where I am working)
and the music was soooo bad, dancing average and teaching predictable - no real buzz to the venue's

Arrrghhhh ... have to defend Ceroc:tears:
LL, dont think the fact that they are Ceroc clubs has much to do with it. I've noticed a growing trend for clubs in general to play musicto the lowest common demoniator ... leaving a dancing populance who have little experinece (and so little capability) with regards to Nu-Swing, soul, Club music etc. It used to be that where Ceroc clubs dominated they got lazy ... but now, despite there being more opportunties to hear better DJs, indifferent DJs are still used.

Is this time to call a fatwa against boring DJs :wink:

Andy McGregor
29th-May-2004, 01:23 AM
Originally posted by Gus
Is this time to call a fatwa against boring DJs :wink:

Death's too good for them.

They should be tortured as a punishment for how they've made us suffer...

Franck
29th-May-2004, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by foxylady

It so happens that some ceroc classes fall into the above category !:wink: Well exactly :D

I agree with that completely, and again, there is an old thread where this issue was discussed at length that new members might benefit from reading:
http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1717

Most people don't have a real choice, or simply are not that dedicated that they are willing to travel miles for a (in their or other's personal opinion) better night.
Often one man's top night is another man's average night.... So many people not only look for different things but also are at different stages of their dancing lives and want / need different things (music is a case in point).

Lounge Lizard
31st-May-2004, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by Gus
Arrrghhhh ... have to defend Ceroc:tears:
LL, dont think the fact that they are Ceroc clubs has much to do with it. I've noticed a growing trend for clubs in general to play musicto the lowest common demoniator ... leaving a dancing populance who have little experinece (and so little capability) with regards to Nu-Swing, soul, Club music etc. It used to be that where Ceroc clubs dominated they got lazy ... but now, despite there being more opportunties to hear better DJs, indifferent DJs are still used.

Is this time to call a fatwa against boring DJs :wink: all clubs were run byt same franchise so there could be a common demoniator
not knocking ceroc - dan & emma are Ceroc both great DJ's
I have contacted Ceroc SOOO many times to DJ for them (would love to do the casbah one night)

I think some venues have got lazy to a point where it is possible to identify the venue by the music they play - it is the same tired old mix every week.
pp

Dance Demon
31st-May-2004, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by Lounge Lizard

I think some venues have got lazy to a point where it is possible to identify the venue by the music they play - it is the same tired old mix every week.
pp

:yeah: ...couldn't agree more Peter......it does get a bit monotonous after a while. Thats why I like going to other venues and weekenders, where you get to hear something a bit different.

Bardsey
1st-June-2004, 12:46 PM
In Leeds, we don't even have the opportunity to go to a Ceroc class as there isn't one (to my knowledge) in striking distance. There is one at Shelf, Halifax, which I have tried (a year or so ago) but found it was a bit of a struggle to get there. In any case, now that the new Blitz venue at Pudsey has opened on Tuesdays, I go there, as well as the Blitz class at St Chads on Mondays. The only other three MJ classes I know of in Leeds and surrounding areas at independents.