PDA

View Full Version : Hipsters - Wednesday nights

ElaineB
27th-May-2004, 08:27 PM
Came down from Bristol last night and was amazed (and disappointed) at how few men there were!! In fact, I only had two dances with someone who wasn't my regular partner and became a wall flower for six dances on the trot! :tears:

What is happening? Amir's lesson was fantastic (as usual!), but is it not attracting enough people? Or was there some amazing game of football that I just didn't know about!

I used to visit about every three weeks on a Tuesday and would like to continue coming to Hipsters, but if the attendance is like last night, I will have to think again. :tears: To get to Hipsters last night I had to catch the train (plus taxi and tube) and after parting with my dosh for the entrance fee, I was poorer by £47.00! :eek: (Also only had five and a half hours sleep last night!)

So, if the reason for the male/female ratio being one man to every two Ladies is footie (or other sport such as darts!), could some kindly soul take pity on me and put a 'footie' warning on the web for me! :cheers:

Elaine

Andy McGregor
28th-May-2004, 12:32 AM
Originally posted by ElaineB
Came down from Bristol last night and was amazed (and disappointed) at how few men there were!!

-snip-

Elaine

Sorry, I was planning to go but my 16 year old daughter had a crisis so stayed home. I promise to be there next week. I'll start hunting down men to bring with me:flower:

Football:confused: don't have a clue about it, is it that game that's played with a round ball where yobbos, townies and oiks fight in the stands?:devil:

Minnie M
28th-May-2004, 07:11 AM
Tuesday is so popular (really gutted I can't get there any more - working:tears: ) that I think Wednesday is a hard act to follow :sad:

It didn't really happen with Viktor teaching and IMO he is great, there was some good nights, but unfurtunately not enough to keep the momentum going - not sure what the recipe is :confused:

Maybe we should have a poll -

What makes a good night ?

1. Music

2. Teachers/Classes

3. Good Dancers

4. Yours buddies going there

?????????

Too lazy - too early to start a new thread for a real poll, any offers ?

Divissima
28th-May-2004, 08:58 AM
Hi Elaine - sorry we missed you. Toby and I were planning to be there on Wednesday but Toby had to work late, and I took advantage of my opportunity for an early night!

It sounds as though you might not have gained an accurate representation of the usual Wednesday Vibe Night - although as I missed this week maybe someone else could verify? Not sure about football - although I am usually oblivious to these things. Thought football season now over???? :confused:

Since Amir took over Wednesday nights the numbers have gone up considerably - and it seems that many of the erstewhile Tuesday regulars who gave up because of the crowding have now switched over to Wednesday nights instead. The Wednesday nights I have been to have been great - I haven't noticed any particular problems with lack of men, although there's the usual handful of women rotating in the class.

Please do try it again - maybe on one of the Performance Jive nights when Toby is on the decks (you have to go up on stage to dance with him!), although not next week as I understand the venue is closed.

Hope to see you soon.
La Diva :waycool:

Minnie M
28th-May-2004, 10:01 AM
Before I get showered with lots of PMs - The Vibe night concept is brilliant and Amir IS a popular and very good teacher and I really hope it works, for Nigel, Franco and the team and of course for me too. However, although there have been some good nights it has never been as popular as Tuesdays - or is that a good thing :innocent: as there is always the space to dance :clap:

I am curious to know what the recipe is :really:

Sheepman
28th-May-2004, 11:28 AM
Of course as a man, I had a great night on Wednesday, though I didn't get a chance to sit out once. The numbers did seem to be a bit lower than previous weeks, but that only seemed to be numbers of men. I can't understand why, surely dancers aren't really interested in a football match between 2 teams they don't support. I have a "double bluff" theory on this:- Usually on a big match night there are too many men at a dance, because the ladies stay away, thinking all the men are at home watching the match. The men now realise this, so stay away, while the women realise it too, so decide to come!
Of course the fact that there were about 10 extra men for Nigel's lesson on Tuesday may also have put some of them off coming on Wednesday.
Or maybe they just find Amir's classes too hard :devil:

I missed the bit about closing for next Wednesday, does someone know the details? I heard Amir mention something, but I wasn't paying attention :blush:

Greg

ElaineB
28th-May-2004, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by Divissima
Hi Elaine - sorry we missed you. Toby and I were planning to be there on Wednesday but Toby had to work late, and I took advantage of my opportunity for an early night!

It sounds as though you might not have gained an accurate representation of the usual Wednesday Vibe Night - although as I missed this week maybe someone else could verify? Not sure about football - although I am usually oblivious to these things. Thought football season now over???? :confused:

Since Amir took over Wednesday nights the numbers have gone up considerably - and it seems that many of the erstewhile Tuesday regulars who gave up because of the crowding have now switched over to Wednesday nights instead. The Wednesday nights I have been to have been great - I haven't noticed any particular problems with lack of men, although there's the usual handful of women rotating in the class.

Please do try it again - maybe on one of the Performance Jive nights when Toby is on the decks (you have to go up on stage to dance with him!), although not next week as I understand the venue is closed.

Hope to see you soon.
La Diva :waycool:

Hi La Diva,

Thanks for that - I will come down again, but not for a few weeks unfortunately! Next week will see me doing my own version of 'Andy on the Waves' - not on a boat though, just striding through the surf in Cornwall with my body board!! :D

I must confess that I only spotted a handful of the more 'advanced' male dancers from the Tuesday crowd - perhaps I was just unlucky this time.

See you soon

Elaine :flower:

DaveD
28th-May-2004, 07:29 PM
I went last Tuesday thinking that Amir would be teaching - arrived at 8 and was the first there! Still enjoyed the evening - Roger did a good class - more men than ladies, strangely! Nigel did a very nice routine as the venue filled up.

Only forum regular I spotted there was foxy lady - thanks for the dances :flower: - sorry I gave up early - turned out my new shoes had blistered my little toe :tears:

What a great way to brighten up a business trip :nice:

Dave

ChrisH
28th-May-2004, 07:51 PM
Of course the fact that there were about 10 extra men for Nigel's lesson on Tuesday may also have put some of them off coming on Wednesday.

So does anyone know why there were so many men over last Tuesday? Have all the women gone to Wednesday's class and left the men going on Tuesday? The numbers did not improve until the Swing dancers came up but even then there were still many men over.

Perhaps Amir has more of an effect on the Ladies than I was aware of!! :really:

Should us guys start going on Wednesday instead, just to be able to get a dance? :confused:

ChrisH

Stuart
28th-May-2004, 11:40 PM
On the football theme, it was actually the Champions League/European Cup Final on Wednesday night.

stewart38
29th-May-2004, 12:47 AM
Originally posted by DaveD
I went last Tuesday thinking that Amir would be teaching - arrived at 8 and was the first there! Still enjoyed the evening - Roger did a good class - more men than ladies, strangely! Nigel did a very nice routine as the venue filled up.

Only forum regular I spotted there was foxy lady - thanks for the dances :flower: - sorry I gave up early - turned out my new shoes had blistered my little toe :tears:

What a great way to brighten up a business trip :nice:

Dave

I was there but wont be again for a long while

Sorry just dont get it, why everyone raves about 'it'

ok so more men there, first class teacher was teaching about 12 people on the floor, people not that friendly

foxylady
29th-May-2004, 01:07 AM
Originally posted by stewart38
I was there but wont be again for a long while

Sorry just dont get it, why everyone raves about 'it'

ok so more men there, first class teacher was teaching about 12 people on the floor, people not that friendly

Who were you stewart38 ?I was there from the beginning and did both classes... Hope I wasn't unfriendly..

But tuesday was weird... I've never been to hipsters and found the floor so empty, and the regulars absent in quite such volume... Because there were too many men I danced my socks off and had a good time (better than usual in fact) but it was not typical by any means...

Andy McGregor
29th-May-2004, 01:28 AM
Originally posted by ChrisH
Should us guys start going on Wednesday instead, just to be able to get a dance? :confused:

ChrisH

No, you stick to Tuesdays the Wednesday women are all mine I tell you, mine, mine, mine

stewart38
29th-May-2004, 01:34 AM
Originally posted by foxylady
Who were you stewart38 ?I was there from the beginning and did both classes... Hope I wasn't unfriendly..

But tuesday was weird... I've never been to hipsters and found the floor so empty, and the regulars absent in quite such volume... Because there were too many men I danced my socks off and had a good time (better than usual in fact) but it was not typical by any means...

It got better later maybe just a bad night, i didnt partake in first class just watched. why does he teach on the floor ? Its 1.34am why am I awake ?

Andy McGregor
29th-May-2004, 01:57 AM
Its 1.34am why am I awake ?

Hey, it's now 1.55 and I wish I wasn't...

ChrisA
29th-May-2004, 10:08 AM
people not that friendly Oh god, not this one again. I'm absolutely sick of it :tears:

Beginners excepted, what is it that makes some people think that just because someone new turns up at a venue, it's everyone else's responsibility to notice and bend over backwards to be nice to them?

It is completely unreasonable to base a judgement like this on one visit. How dare you turn up once, put yourself in the position of judge and jury, and then make public and negative pronouncements about a lot of my friends.

:angry:

Hipsters isn't perfect. The music there isn't perfect. The teachers there aren't perfect, and neither are the people.

But in my experience (nearly two years' worth), the people there are friendly - and the more you get to know them, the friendlier they are.

Chris

Franck
29th-May-2004, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by ChrisA
Beginners excepted, what is it that makes some people think that just because someone new turns up at a venue, it's everyone else's responsibility to notice and bend over backwards to be nice to them? I might be old fashion, but I thought it was! :what: :sad:
I would hate to think that any of my venues gave the impression of being unfriendly, especially to visitors / beginners (your exception noted, but how do you tell the difference?).

It is completely unreasonable to base a judgement like this on one visit. How dare you turn up once, put yourself in the position of judge and jury, and then make public and negative pronouncements about a lot of my friends.]Unfortunately, first impressions are crucial, many people (a huge proportion) give up on their first night, you might not think they are entitled to pass judgement, but they do. They simply give up on dancing - and what a huge shame and waste!

We have had this debate before (at the height of Hipsters hype :wink: ) http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1746
It might be that it's nothing to do with Hipsters at all, and more of a London (or large city) issue.

ChrisA
29th-May-2004, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by Franck
I would hate to think that any of my venues gave the impression of being unfriendlySure.

But like with other sweeping statements ("music crap"), "people not that friendly" doesn't really say very much. My experience, over considerably more time than Stewart's, is that it's friendly. So something in our respective experiences, or our respective personalities must be different.

Did he ask lots of people to dance and get turned down? Did he dance with them and find they refused a second dance? Did he sit out for ages and not get asked? Any one of these could leave the impression that the people aren't friendly, when in reality it might just be one or two, or it might be him :devil:

Further, people dont go to Hipsters to hang out and chat, for the most part. They go to dance, because there are many good dancers, and much good music. Chatting in the classes is less than elsewhere, because the classes need concentration. This too might give a visitor an impression of a lack of friendliness, when in reality it is anything but.

I think people that are going to slag something off - particularly on a public forum - have a duty to explain why they're slagging it off.

especially to visitors / beginners (your exception noted, but how do you tell the difference?).
There are virtually no beginners at Hipsters. The exceptionally few that turn up are obvious. Whether in a class or in freestyle, it takes only a couple of seconds to realise.

Unfortunately, first impressions are crucial, many people (a huge proportion) give up on their first night, you might not think they are entitled to pass judgement, but they do. They simply give up on dancing - and what a huge shame and waste!
Sure, but this is beginners. And I agree with you that it's important to make them feel welcome as they get into it. At the venue I go to most often, where there are beginners, I put a lot of effort into ensuring they have as positive an experience as I can give them.

It may be that to fit in, at a venue such as Hipsters that's a bit more "hard-core" than most, a visitor needs to just get on with dancing. If (s)he gives pleasure on the dancefloor, people will soon warm to him or her.

Chris

stewart38
29th-May-2004, 01:09 PM
Oh god, not this one again. I'm absolutely sick of it :tears:

Beginners excepted, what is it that makes some people think that just because someone new turns up at a venue, it's everyone else's responsibility to notice and bend over backwards to be nice to them?

It is completely unreasonable to base a judgement like this on one visit. How dare you turn up once, put yourself in the position of judge and jury, and then make public and negative pronouncements about a lot of my friends. :angry: 2nd visit and when I bump into someone accidently i dont expect a fight, sorry Gus its just an impression im sure their all friendly like your thread seems to suggest :blush: if im wrong no doubt ill get my head kicked in !

TheTramp
29th-May-2004, 01:10 PM
I think people that are going to slag something off - particularly on a public forum - have a duty to explain why they're slagging it off.I don't understand....

Why is it that disagreeing with a point of view is 'slagging off'. IMHO, he didn't slag anyone, or anything off. Stewart expressed his own point of view. Which he is totally entitled to, in a quick and non-slagging off way. He just said that he found it unfriendly. You may disagree with him, but it's just a minor comment. Not everyone has to like the same things that you do. I don't like lumpy gravy, because it's lumpy. There', I've made a statement about lumpy gravy, and I haven't slagged it off. Just expressed an opinion that I'm not fond of it.

By making such a big deal of it, you've done (I think) far more harm than Stewart ever did. And jumping down his throat like that, was fairly unfriendly. Maybe that's what he meant?!? :whistle:

Trampy

stewart38
29th-May-2004, 01:19 PM
Sure.

But like with other sweeping statements ("music crap"), "people not that friendly" doesn't really say very much. My experience, over considerably more time than Stewart's, is that it's friendly. So something in our respective experiences, or our respective personalities must be different. I withdrew the crap reference as it was a stupid comment I made.

No body turned me down for a dance and I apologise if ive caused offence again Im sorry

My impression of Camber,Southport was fantastic my impression of Hipsters was not but infuture ill think before i type.:sick:

ChrisA
29th-May-2004, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by TheTramp
By making such a big deal of it, you've done (I think) far more harm than Stewart ever did. And jumping down his throat like that, was fairly unfriendly. Maybe that's what he meant?!? :whistle:
Ok, I overreacted. I apologise.

But saying "I bumped into someone on the dancefloor accidentally and almost got into a fight, they were so aggressive" is very different from generalising to say that peope aren't very friendly.

I mean, actually I would probably agree with Stewart about that - there are some extremely inconsiderate dancers that go to Hipsters - it's probably the single worst thing about the place, and I wish it weren't so.

But generalising about people inaccurately like this is IMHO a bad thing to do - and it touched a nerve. Sorry.

Chris

stewart38
29th-May-2004, 01:32 PM
Ok, I overreacted. I apologise.

But generalising about people inaccurately like this is IMHO a bad thing to do - and it touched a nerve. Sorry.

Chris

Im sure 99.9% of Hipsters people are friendly a group hug for everyone.