PDA

View Full Version : Beach Ballroom Party & Workshops

Sandy
23rd-May-2004, 05:54 PM
Just wanted to say what wonderful dance weekend we had at Aberdeen. The party was just fantastic, amazing music from 2 dj's and brilliant workshops from Marc and Rachel. Well done!

Had some lovely dances (thanks for those guys!) and learned a few more steps.

By the way..........thanks Sheena for sorting my skirt out!!!

Well done Franck again!

Sandy:kiss:

Bill
23rd-May-2004, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by Sandy

By the way..........thanks Sheena for sorting my skirt out!!!

Well done Franck again!

Sandy:kiss:

can't wait to hear the rest of this one :D

and great night Franck. Hope the leg recovers quickly.

Jive Brummie
23rd-May-2004, 10:00 PM
Totally agree with Sandy. Great weekend with a great teaching couple. Marc has a completely individual style and Rachel is a fantastic dancer......what more can you say.

Had a fab dance with Rachel..........highlight of my weekend!!! . And it was great to see the two of them North of the border..........

James........:cheers:

Tiggerbabe
23rd-May-2004, 10:32 PM
What a fantastic weekend again at the Beach Ballroom - Marc and Rachel's workshops were amazing - had such fun at the hip hop class and it was very interesting to see the ways Marc comes up with new moves.

I did both of Sunday's workshops as a leader - which led to a few interesting moments in the Blue's class, Bill, especially when I was trying to get my leg between Sandy's long, long skirt :wink:- so in the end we just had to lift it up a bit :whistle: but by the time she had moved round a few more times it was a lot higher than I'd any responsibility for :eek:

Had a fab night at the party - huge thankyou to everyone I managed to grab for a dance and it was lovely to see Chris H *sigh* and Phil.
Ladies, I believe Phil is here for the next week so grab him for a dance if you can - he's such fun and a totally amazing dancer.

Had a few wonderful dances with Marc, but the best one was in the freestyle today during the break in the first workshop :drool: :hug:

Rachel :worthy: :worthy: so stylish, so elegant :hug:

A huge well done to Janet from Perth - who entertained us today, at the Blues Workshop - along with Trampy - to a blues showcase with some amazing drops and aerials thrown in. What a star!!!!!!!!

Brilliant set from Emma at the BB - well done gal! And Steve also played great bluesy tunes later on in the night - great idea Franck to have two dj's.

Thanks Franck for all the organising and effort you put in to making these weekends so special. The Beach Ballroom is an amazing venue and all the extra touches you add are greatly appreciated. We're so lucky to get all of these great teachers up here - can't wait for the Glasgow weekend and then the BFG.

Franck
24th-May-2004, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by Bill
and great night Franck. Hope the leg recovers quickly. Thanks Bill, I'm going through my personal version of hell, not being able to dance... So many great tracks, so many wonderful partners :tears:
Thank you so much to all the lovely ladies who kept me entertained on Saturday night... :devil: :flower:

Hopefully in a couple of weeks I'll be able to resume gently and I'll have a lot of catching up to do.

Back on thread, another fantastic Beach Ballroom week-end, the venue never disappoints, and with great music from Emma and Steve the floor was buzzing all night!
Marc & Rachel were brilliant and brought a breath of fresh air to everyone's dancing...
The party after the party was fab (as ever), thanks to Chicklet and Sassy1 for offering their rooms :nice:
No more Beach Ballroom until November now, but thankfully, we have the Cabaret Glasgow Week-end, the Jivemasters, the Scottish Champs and of course the Big Forum Gathering in September :waycool: what a summer it will be! :clap:

Petal
24th-May-2004, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by Sheena
A huge well done to Janet from Perth - who entertained us today, at the Blues Workshop - along with Trampy - to a blues showcase with some amazing drops and aerials thrown in. What a star!!!!!!!!
Well done Janet(and Trampy), you were fantastic, even though you were nervous, you did us proud. Hope the sore ribs and bruises are a bit easier today.

Anyone give me advice on how to deal with a refusal to dance. This happened in Aberdeen this weekend and im still trying to work out why. The Guy was not having a rest etc, and immediately asked another girl to dance. "His reply to me was, No i'm going to ask someone over there to dance". It made having to dance with him at the workshop yesterday slightly awkward. Maybe im over reacting but it's certainly dented by confidence.

Gadget
24th-May-2004, 01:17 PM
Can't not post on this thread - yet another great weekend of dancing. It always amazes me the quality of dancers we have, but perhaps it was just that the music was inspiring? Great sets from Emma & Tramp.

I had so many good dances that I can't begin to thank everyone. :D I didn't get as many dances from Rachel as I would have liked... but I'm not sure if that's possible. :drool:

Working backwards, :worthy: to Janet for letting Tramp throw you arround like that infront of us all :wink: Kept your composure and 'blues styling throught. :worthy:.
Nice, sleak blues workshop. Informative, inspiring creativity workshop. Complex, elusive floorcraft workshop. Fast, different hip-hop workshop.

Franck: is there going to be an area to discuss these workshops?

spindr
24th-May-2004, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by Jillian
Anyone give me advice on how to deal with a refusal to dance. This happened in Aberdeen this weekend and im still trying to work out why. The Guy was not having a rest etc, and immediately asked another girl to dance. "His reply to me was, No i'm going to ask someone over there to dance". It made having to dance with him at the workshop yesterday slightly awkward. Maybe im over reacting but it's certainly dented by confidence.

I think the best cure is to immediately find the next nearest partner and ask them!

Dwelling on it won't help -- unless you've got ESP you'll probably never get his (lack of) thought process worked out. The only person whose confidence you'll affect by thinking about it is your own.

SpinDr.

Gadget
24th-May-2004, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by Jillian
This happened in Aberdeen this weekend and im still trying to work out why. The Guy was not having a rest etc, and immediately asked another girl to dance. "His reply to me was, No i'm going to ask someone over there to dance". It made having to dance with him at the workshop yesterday slightly awkward. Maybe im over reacting but it's certainly dented by confidence.
:angry:
A bit short perhaps, but the only reason I can think on for this would be if they were actually waiting for a person to finish so that they could grab them for a dance - there were one or two ladies I didn't get a chance to dance with because they were never off the floor! (I got refused a couple of times, but only because the times I managed to hunt people down were when they come off to change :sick: )

In saying that, a bit of courtesy never goes amiss - "I'm really sorry, but I promised this lady a dance: I'll find you for the next one." But I would only use that if the other lady had 'visually' accepted an offer - if they were blissfully unaware of my presence, then I would never turn down a dance. Being asked to dance to too rare and precious a thing to discard out of hand.

TheTramp
24th-May-2004, 02:55 PM
Hmmm....

Sorry, but I'm always of a sort of different opinion on this.

I don't see why anyone should feel that they have to dance with anyone else. Personally, if people only dance with me because they feel that they are obliged to, and don't really want to, then I'd prefer them to say no. Under the circumstances that someone doesn't want to dance with me, neither of us are probably going to enjoy the dance anyhow.

If someone is paying their money to dance, then why should they do something they don't want to do. Forcing people to feel that they can't say no, and that they have to dance with someone they don't want to, isn't really the way to keep them enjoying themselves, and wanting to come back.

I'll agree that being turned down isn't the most pleasant thing, but I'll live through the experience, and once someone has turned me down twice, then I'll get the message, and wait for them to ask me to dance in future. I can live with that.

Back to the weekend though, thank you to all the people who did dance with me. I had a good time on Saturday, despite feeling pretty down at the start of the night.

Well done also to Janet, who (like me) got landed in it on Sunday afternoon. Don't worry Janet, I'll get our collective revenge on Marc soon :whistle:

Trampy

Bill
24th-May-2004, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by Gadget
:angry:

In saying that, a bit of courtesy never goes amiss - "I'm really sorry, but I promised this lady a dance: I'll find you for the next one."

Agree entirely and this has been discussed before but is more likely to happen at a busy freestyle. Several times on Saturday night I had to ask a lady if I could have the next dance because someone had already asked but I did add that I'd love the next one.

A little explanation is all it takes to avert any difficulties or allay any concerns regarding your own ability. If there's no obvious reason then avoid the individual - there's plenty of good dancers around. :wink:

linda
24th-May-2004, 03:03 PM
BB was a hit again Franck!!Well done! It was good to see Barbara and the boys there too. I had a great night, brilliant dances everyone of them!!!Thankyou everybody who danced with me:kiss: :flower:
Great dance with Gadget, who I had to refuse as I was going off to get changed, I did get back to him like I promised, though it did take a while.

Gillian, all I can say is it's the guy's loss not dancing with you. Yes it is unpleasant to be refused and it happens to all of us at some time but I would agree it's not just the refusal but how it's done as well that can be upsetting.

And to Lisa and Phil WOW!! That was entertainment:grin: :clap: you guys were having a great time and we had a great time just sitting watching it all!!!

Marc and Rachel, fab as ever, sorry about missing the workshops,( but had to work ) everyone said they were great:grin: Look forward to doing your workshops Marc, in Southport:grin:

Linda :cheers:

Dance Demon
24th-May-2004, 03:41 PM
Yep.....totally agree, another great night. well done Emma, who played a great set. kept having to go up and ask "what was that you just played"....lots of wee gems in there. thanks to Franck, Sheena, Chicklet, Marc, Rachel, Emma, The Lusby's et al.......who gave me and Irene a huge cheer as we walked into the foyer of the Patio:blush: .....set the tone for the rest of the night.....:rofl:
Oh!!!....and before I forget, did anyone else see linda & David strutting their stuff...:drool: :drool: :worthy:........definately ones to watch out for at the Scottish comp in August.............and thanks to Rachel for two lovely dances.....:waycool:

Kay
24th-May-2004, 09:26 PM
Yes, another great weekend Franck, well done:clap: Thanks Marc and Rachel for the workshops - Hip hop was a new experience which I enjoyed and the Blues - well, what can I say :drool: All I need now is the music and the guys in order to practice!!:wink:

TheTramp
24th-May-2004, 11:36 PM
Originally posted by Kay
All I need now is the music Well, you usually get 2-3 blues tracks at Culter every Tuesday night.

I can play more if everyone wants :wink:

Trampy

Kay
25th-May-2004, 07:44 AM
In order to improve, I don't just need your Blues tracks Trampy, I also need to dance with someone who knows how to interpret the music. How about you - would you dance with me?

Gadget
25th-May-2004, 08:48 AM
Originally posted by Kay
In order to improve, I don't just need your Blues tracks Trampy, I also need to dance with someone who knows how to interpret the music. How about you - would you dance with me?
Hey!:what: :tears:

Kay
25th-May-2004, 09:03 AM
I didn't mean to upset you Gadget. You usually ask me to dance on a Tuesday, so all we need is a Blues track, eh? :wink: See you tonight?

ChrisH
25th-May-2004, 10:25 AM
I did not want to leave Aberdeen. The Beach Ballroom lives up to its reputation as a great experience and I have to emphasize that for me it is not just the venue but the people. I felt very at home dancing there and you scottish ladies are sooo talented. I did not have a bad dance all night. No wonder you keep winning when you come down for the competitions!

Thank you so much to all my friends in Scotland. Particularly you ladies. Sheena you sparkle plenty without the glitter. Lisa you made me feel very welcome as well as enchanting me with your dancing. Franck, you have set fire to a deep passion and talent in Scotland. I admire what you are doing and I hope your tibia recovers quickly. Thank you Janet for your delicious cake. Thank you to you ladies who helped me learning in the workshops. Thank you to every lady who danced with me. Every dance was special and each one keeps going through my mind as I relive the joy of the experience with you. I want to dance with you again soon.

My first ever visit to Scotland was wonderful and far too short. Steve, I understand entirely why you chose to move there. Hopefully, it will not be too long before I return.

ChrisH

Kay
25th-May-2004, 11:48 AM
Hi Chris,
It was great to meet you at Lisa's on Friday and then to dance with you on Saturday. Come back soon.:hug:

Rachel
25th-May-2004, 03:09 PM
Well … what can I say? With no exaggeration, this has got to be one of the best weekends of my life! Franck, thank you so much for having the confidence in us and inviting us up for this brilliant event – it really lived up to all expectations, and more!

So many wonderful people … so many fantastic dancers … so many party animals!!! Thank you to everyone who attended the workshops (hope they were useful/enjoyable) and to everyone who danced with us and kept us company. Oh, if only I could name everyone … It could have been so nerve-racking being there amongst all those talented dancers – but you’re all too lovely to be scared of (much!!).

Just got to put in a few mentions – Sheena, Lisa and Lorna – thanks for being so brilliant, so welcoming, and helpful – and for boosting my confidence by saying such nice things. Coming from dancers such as yourselves … wow!!

James & Melanie – huge thanks for all your help in the workshops, and for letting Marc put you on the spot like that - and for just looking so great on the dancefloor.

Steve and Janet – Oh my God, both of you absolutely amazing in that blues display – I was literally stunned and any revenge you have planned will be well worth it!!

Chicklet – thanks for letting us all into your room on Sat – and for so many laughs.

Emma – brilliant dj-set – so many old favourites – and great company.

For wonderful dances – Dance Demon, Azande, Bill, Phil, James, Gagdet, Chris H … Saturday night was incredible– I was torn between wanting to dance, and wanting to just watch everyone else – esp. Lisa/Phil and James/David.

Aleks – wonderful to finally meet you and put a face to the name. And fab to meet the famous Hazel and John at last!

Sandy - so sorry we didn't get an introduction. I didn't realise it was you until your posting about your skirt! I noticed your skirt straight away and kept meaning to come and say how lovely it was. Think the boys preferred the shorter version, though!!

And Franck – thanks again. All I can say is, there must be some bloody good teachers up there (of course!) cos, as Gadget said, and as Marc and I were discussing on the way home, the quality of dancers in Scotland is superb.

Already looking forward to our next trip up there.
Rachel

Sandy
28th-May-2004, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by ChrisH
Thank you to you ladies who helped me learning in the workshops. Thank you to every lady who danced with me. Every dance was special and each one keeps going through my mind as I relive the joy of the experience with you. I want to dance with you again soon.

My first ever visit to Scotland was wonderful and far too short. Steve, I understand entirely why you chose to move there. Hopefully, it will not be too long before I return.

ChrisH

Wow, and we want to dance with you Chris! I had a wonderful dance with you and enjoyed dancing with you again at the workshops! Please do come back to Scotland........and soon!

It is such a good thing to be able to mix with so many dancers and so many nice people, all the usual crowd plus all the visitors, just fantastic.

I loved the blues but all the music was good that night.

Sandy:hug:

Sandy
28th-May-2004, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by Rachel

Sandy - so sorry we didn't get an introduction. I didn't realise it was you until your posting about your skirt! I noticed your skirt straight away and kept meaning to come and say how lovely it was. Think the boys preferred the shorter version, though!!

Rachel

Hi Rachel

Sorry, I should have introduced myself but contrary to what some folk think, I can be quite shy:innocent:

I did say cheerio to you as we were leaving but there were so many people chatting to you and no wonder, what great workshops. I love the blues and I learned some lovely new moves and variations of old ones. Next time you are up I will definitely come and say hi.

The Beach is such a fab venue and here's hoping there will still be many events to come.

The skirt! :blush: hysterical! only Sheena could do that! Not sure what was on show, don't want to go there.......ignorance is bliss!

See you and Marc soon hopefully!

Janet and Steve - wow! on the spot and what style!

James and Mel........just magic together...... James looking forward to coming to some of your classes in the future!

Cheers

Sandy:wink: