PDA

View Full Version : Balance

spindr
20th-May-2004, 12:54 PM
Does anyone have any good exercises for improving your balance -- both individually, (spins, etc.) or when dancing with a partner?

Thanks, in anticipation :)

An unbalanced SpinDr.

Lynn
20th-May-2004, 01:16 PM
There were some suggestions here (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2460)

Gadget
20th-May-2004, 01:21 PM
Best thing I've found is putting on/taking off my socks & shoes standing on one leg (not the one being clad obviously :wink: )
Same thing in the shower - wash legs without bending over or resting them on the side of the bath, just watch you don't slip.

I'm also considering putting in "ballancing steps" for the kids {honest :innocent:} - you know; those logs that stick about six inches up that you are meant to walk accross. That sould be quite good.

under par
22nd-May-2004, 02:38 AM
"You might try standing on one leg (with the other foot only just off the floor). If you can stay absolutely still on either foot, try the same exercise standing just on the ball of your foot, with the heel only just off the floor, and again the other foot only just off it.

I could spin to the left Ok, but was crap to the right - and discovered it was much harder to stand on my right leg than my left. So I practised both, and it made quite a difference.

Credit for this tip to Amir, from whom I shamelessly plagiarise as much as possible "......originally posted by Chris on a similar thread.

Thanks Lynn for the link

:cheers:

I found this very helpful.

Amir
1st-June-2004, 09:36 AM
Simply holding any position you find hard to balance in will improve your balance.

Walking very slowly, forward, side and back, becoming aware of the whole process of transfer of weight will help.

Improving your posture and alignment will mean finding your balance is healthier for your muscles and bones.

Core strength exercises such as abdominal, inner thigh and lower back strength means you have much more control. Get a Pilates instructor or similar to help you locate your TA muscles and pelvic floor. Strengthen these and you'll be amazed at the results.

Often people are off balance in modern jive because they are being led poorly or not following too well. This means they are not set up to travel in a new direction from the last, which is basically what being off balance is, as we rarely hold a position for very long in Ceroc. Working with someone who can help your lead/follow technique is invaluable.

Think of being grounded
Think of pulling up
Think of moving bigger
Don't over-commit in any direction.

If you're good at making up contradictory statements you may make a good dance instructor.

Choose the thought that works best for you.

Balance is affected by blood sugar levels, lights, sounds and your emotional state. Despite everything it will still fluctuate.

Venues here are much darker and have more moving lights than we had in NZ. It took me about six months before I stopped feeling dizzy every time I danced here.

DavidY
1st-June-2004, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by amir_giles
Venues here are much darker and have more moving lights than we had in NZ. It took me about six months before I stopped feeling dizzy every time I danced here. I think some of the reasons for this were discussed in this thread. (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2345) (Which I started because I did (and still do) get dizzy dancing in the dark with flashing lights.)

Rachel
24th-June-2004, 11:30 AM
Does anyone have any good exercises for improving your balance -- both individually, (spins, etc.) or when dancing with a partner? Hey, guess what I've just got through the post? - it's for Marc's birthday, but I have a feeling I'll end up using it more ...

A pilates core wobble board. Supposed to be excellent for improving balance - and a work colleague has just told me they use similar things for physio in hospitals after knee operations, which has given me a bit more faith in them.

Has anyone ever tried it? Any good?

My only quibble is that, with postage, it was £20 for a very basic lump of plastic (along with exercise instructions) - I'm sure it must be possible to improvise a wobble board of your own.
Rachel

David Franklin
24th-June-2004, 12:11 PM
Hey, guess what I've just got through the post? - it's for Marc's birthday, but I have a feeling I'll end up using it more ...

A pilates core wobble board. Supposed to be excellent for improving balance - and a work colleague has just told me they use similar things for physio in hospitals after knee operations, which has given me a bit more faith in them.

Has anyone ever tried it? Any good?A lot of physios do seem to use them. Have to say, the only "word-of-mouth" is a great story, but not terribly positive! A work colleague tore something in his ankle, and was having physio at the hospital using a wobble board. He lost his balance, fell, and tore the other ankle even worse. Got taken straight from the physio dept. to A&E... :sick:

Dave

Rachel
24th-June-2004, 12:17 PM
A lot of physios do seem to use them. Have to say, the only "word-of-mouth" is a great story, but not terribly positive! A work colleague tore something in his ankle, and was having physio at the hospital using a wobble board. He lost his balance, fell, and tore the other ankle even worse. Got taken straight from the physio dept. to A&E... :sick:

Dave Oh my God, I'm sorry, I really couldn't help laughing at that. I know I shouldn't - it's an awful story. And I do feel sorry for him really!
Rachel