PDA

View Full Version : Strictly Come Dancing - fab or flop?

Divissima
17th-May-2004, 11:35 PM
Apologies if there's already a thread on this. I tried to find the old threads on the show but couldn't track them down (a week away - so many new threads to catch up on!! :tears: )

Did anyone else see the show on Saturday night? If so what did you think?

I thought the calibre of the professional dancers was pretty amazing. I hope at some stage they let us see them dance a whole track with their usual partners. I have a big soft spot for John Byrnes, but I feel he was rather misrepresented in the interview snippet they showed.

As for the celebrities, some of them were pretty good, given the limited time they've been dancing. I think the ladies are at an advantage, with a competent lead!

I didn't care enough to vote, I have to say. But I'll be watching next week. It was a shame I didn't see the BBC3 follow-on show - I'd love to hear more about it from anyone who saw it.

So a little poll, just for interest (and because I've never posted a poll before and like a late-night challenge).

TheTramp
18th-May-2004, 12:06 AM
I watched it for 5 minutes. Saw one bit of dancing that I thought was very good for 6 weeks practise, but then had to listen to Brucie being... well.... Brucie. Coudn't stand more than 2 minutes of that. So I turned it off. Won't be watching again....

Trampy

spindr
18th-May-2004, 12:10 AM
The BBC3 follow up, was a recap by the hippy in the BeeGee suit. They showed the competitors their dancing and basically asked them how well they all thought they'd done, and about the judges' comments.
Plus a few bits of recap, from the previous weeks of training -- mostly a sort of "you've been dance-frame'd" :)

Be interesting to see who gets through...

SpinDr.
P.S.
Yes, I think the guys definitely had the more difficult job -- Martin Ofaya was definitely the best!

Paul F
18th-May-2004, 12:24 AM
I was pretty gutted to be honest with this show.
I kind of hoped to be able to tune in to see some dancing but never mind :(

Looks like its more of a game show now. I realise they are trying to get away from the stuffy view many people had following the original come dancing but Im not sure this works.

I too wanted to see the professionals go at it so to speak.

Watching one of the guys (think it was a young lad) doing the Cha cha cha (well at least thats what they said it was) was a bit like listening to a bloke playing the trumpet.......a bloke who has absolutely no idea how to play the trumpet. :)

Dont get me wrong , I guess it was entertaining if your more interested in the entertainment side of it. I suppose I must have just watched it for the wrong reasons.

Dont think i will be watching again. If its just those same people dancing some more then I cant see the point.

......and dont forget "you have noone to beat" B.Forsyth 2004
:grin:

Daisy Chain
18th-May-2004, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by Divissima

Did anyone else see the show on Saturday night? If so what did you think?

When I see dancing on telly, I expect to say "WOW!" but I was disappointed and still have a full set of wows waiting to be uttered. To be honest, I see better dancing from Joe and Mrs Public at a standard Ceroc night. Wouldn't it be nice if the BBC could do a series about proper dancers? I'd even settle for the original Come Dancing format especially if Terry was the compere.

Also, the camera man needs lessons from the one who shot the Jive Masters video - too many partial body shots. I was desperate to see what the rugby player was doing with his feet whilst spinning with his partner. I suspect he was trotting round with umpteen little steps like a worried penguin on a slippy ice floe but I'll never know because the camera only showed me his top half.

I'll watch again just in case they slip in some proper dancing from the Pros or from the Ceroc Champs.

Nice frocks though - I can see me in the little blue sparkly number or that sequinny green shimmy dress. :drool:

Daisy

foxylady
18th-May-2004, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by Daisy Chain

Nice frocks though - I can see me in the little blue sparkly number or that sequinny green shimmy dress. :drool:

Daisy

:yeah:
I'd love the green shimmy dress !!

Dissappointed with the show, but liked watching how some of them got to grips with learning to dance...
but all that nonsense about rules and stuff, reminded me of the film strictly ballroom, and how nonsensical that all seemed...

The plonker presenting the BBC3 show is the same guy that danced at the champs, and is even more of a w**k**r that he seemed then... Where did they find him ?

spindr
18th-May-2004, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by foxylady
...but all that nonsense about rules and stuff, reminded me of the film strictly ballroom, and how nonsensical that all seemed...

I suspect the "lift" was added to try and inject some controversy -- they actually showed clips from Strictly Ballroom when they were discussing it -- *before* the competition on Saturday! Personally, I thought it was an extremely brave move -- I'd have certainly checked the floor for splinters if I was going to be led into that :)

SpinDr.
P.S.
BBC3 has Stricly Ballroom on tomorrow, after the daily Come Dancing recap.

Bigger Andy
18th-May-2004, 02:33 PM
Strictly Come Dancing - fab or flop?
===========================

I thought that the BBC missed out on a great opportunity.:sad:

The camerawork was poor. There were too many shots of the singers or the band while people were dancing.

The pictures of the people dancing were not very good in that it was not possible to see much of the footwork.

I thought that the chat with Bruce and the girl back stage was poor and trivial.

I also thought that the Judges were set up to provide controversy as first one and then another made some disparaging comment about one of the couples. Again, this has the effect of trivialising the whole thing.

As for the "Bee Gee" on BBC3, he would stop me from watching that part again.

From a dance viewpoint, I felt that it was unfair for a Waltz to be judged against a Cha Cha Cha. Surely they should all be doing the same dance at the same time ?:confused:

I also thought it was unfair to compare the male and female celebrities. After all, it must be a lot easier to follow someone who knows what he is doing, as was the case for the female celebrities, than for a male celebrity who hasn't got a clue to try to lead a lady who knows exactly what she (should be) doing.

I thought that the bloke who danced with Natasha Kaplinski danced as though it was he who was the centre of attention and I don't feel he provided her with enough consideration.

By contrast, I felt that the guy who danced with Verona (Holby City ?), although he did an illegal move, made the dance look more balanced by making it appear as though she was an equal partner in it.

I think that the favourites to make an early exit are David Dickinson and Jason Wood. :tears:

I think that the current favourites to go all the way are Lesley Garrett and Verona (Holby City ?). :flower:

I have just realised that I have nominated men (leaders) as the first to go and ladies (followers) as the most likely to win !
Is this because the ladies are better dancers ?
Is it the fact that it is easier to follow than lead ? :devil:

foxylady
18th-May-2004, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by Bigger Andy

I have just realised that I have nominated men (leaders) as the first to go and ladies (followers) as the most likely to win !
Is this because (the) ladies are better dancers ?

YES :whistle:

Originally posted by Bigger Andy
Is it the fact that it is easier to follow than lead ? :devil:

and YES (its easier to learn to follow a good strong (meaning clear) lead, than it is to teach someone to lead)

Forte
18th-May-2004, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by TheTramp
I watched it for 5 minutes. Saw one bit of dancing that I thought was very good for 6 weeks practise, but then had to listen to Brucie being... well.... Brucie. Coudn't stand more than 2 minutes of that. So I turned it off. Won't be watching again....

Trampy

I think you should ... there are some good moves to pinch now and again... and you could do all of them! :hug:
p.s. (when did you become a forum legend... how many posts did that take?)
You can always turn the sound down when Brucie is on...

Forte
18th-May-2004, 03:10 PM
I thought the calibre of the professional dancers was pretty amazing. I hope at some stage they let us see them dance a whole track with their usual partners. :yeah:

TheTramp
18th-May-2004, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by Forte
p.s. (when did you become a forum legend... how many posts did that take?) Ummm. I think it was around the time that I got twice as many posts as anyone else... :whistle:

Trampy

Jayne
18th-May-2004, 06:39 PM
Look what I found! (http://www.bbc.co.uk/cult/strictlycomedancing.shtml)

J :nice:

Divissima
18th-May-2004, 08:10 PM
Oh. my. god.

How cool! I'll see you on there, Jayne!

bigdjiver
19th-May-2004, 01:56 AM
Fessing up - I watched a bit of the prog tonight. They had a psychologist on trying to give some insight into how the couples were relating, and she had great difficulty getting a word in because the **** **** presenter was shooting off his mouth with a buch of irrevelancies.

It was interesting to see how the married dance partners adopted precisely the same body posture whilst sitting, and the subtle change behind the frozen smile when hubbys involuntary pelvic thrust was highlighted when with the celeb (Lesley Garret?)

I was disappointed to find that the BBC discussion room involved one-on-one conversations only, if I understand it right.

The BBC list of local dance organisations did not include any local modern jive, swing or salsa organisations, just our local ballroom class.

Daisy Chain
19th-May-2004, 12:50 PM
Pity Strictly Come Dancing wasn't created by Simon Cowell. What a wonderful programme it would have been if it had been filmed in the same format as Pop Idol with all the wonderful non-professional dancers from the length and breadth of Britain taking part.

Sort of like Jive Masters for everyone.

Anyone got Simon's phone number?

Daisy

ChrisA
19th-May-2004, 03:32 PM
As for the celebrities, some of them were pretty good, given the limited time they've been dancing. I think the ladies are at an advantage, with a competent lead!
........ :yeah:

Finally got round to watching the tape. Considering all the bad press here, I thought it wasn't bad.

But Div's right, the female celebs were at a huge advantage with the pro guys leading them.

Thought the male celebs dancing cha cha cha were pretty pants, they didn't really do much at all in the way of footwork, just step-step a bit and a bit of flamboyance to make up for the lack of actual dancing. Some of the judges spotted this and reflected it admirably in their votes I thought.

However, the real stars IMHO were the waltz guys - the comedian and the rugby player. I thought they did pretty well considering how little time they'd had to learn it. And if the pro ladies were actually leading them, they hid it amazingly well.

Chris

Stuart
19th-May-2004, 04:43 PM
I'm glad I wasn't the only one who thought that David Dickinson just appeared to be standing there doing nothing.

I agree with the other people who said that the female competitors have a built in advantage over the males in not having to learn how to lead.

Having said that I have heard from my brother (a regular on the London Broncos RL website) that there are plans afoot for a voting campaign for Martin Offiah, who happens to be one of their former players!

Jive Brummie
23rd-May-2004, 10:13 PM
Watched this at the weekend...... Must admit, was really quite impressed. Natasha Kaplinski was first on with her partner and she was fantastic. They did a quick step, something i'd not seen before, and were brill. Some of them are rubbish, but for people who've never danced before they're all doing pretty good. Defiantely worth a watch i'd say.

Daisy
23rd-May-2004, 10:55 PM
I thought they did well on the whole....although David Dickinson makes me cringe.

Actually saw one or two moves in the Rumba dances worth keeping in mind.

I'm loving looking at the fantastic dresses.:drool:

Has Bruce Forsyth been dipped in femaldahide/phemalderhide (not sure how to spell that). He looks like a specimin out of Madam Tussauds! Tess Daly is also fairly c**p too.

Next weeks jive should be interesting.:whistle:

Andy McGregor
24th-May-2004, 09:09 AM
Originally posted by Jive Brummie
Definitely worth a watch i'd say.

And I loved the clothes too. The only downside was Brucie: he's normally better and seemed to be repeating himself a bit more than normal - maybe he's been replaced with a Smurf or something:devil:

cerocmetro
24th-May-2004, 09:52 AM
Also, the camera man needs lessons from the one who shot the Jive Masters video:drool:
Daisy

Seeing as it's been mentioned twice in this thread, have I mentioned we still have some copies of the JiveMasters video still available if anyone would like one. Oh and JiveMasters 2004 starts this Sunday.

Sorry back to thread.

Adam :devil:

Andy McGregor
24th-May-2004, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by cerocmetro
Oh and JiveMasters 2004 starts this Sunday.

Don't remind me:tears:

Sema and I are just starting to practice in earnest now I've received Nigel's instructions - at 11.14am today! At least we'll be fresh:waycool:

And that email contained the list of tracks. I've pasted the email I received from Nigel on the Jivemasters 2004 thread here. (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&postid=63739#post63739)

Pammy
24th-May-2004, 11:51 AM
Sheepy will be pleased to see his old favourite in the fast section :devil:

Stuart M
31st-May-2004, 10:44 PM
Pity Strictly Come Dancing wasn't created by Simon Cowell. What a wonderful programme it would have been if it had been filmed in the same format as Pop Idol with all the wonderful non-professional dancers from the length and breadth of Britain taking part.

Daisy's idea sounds way better than the show on TV at the moment. That would have created more interest in taking up dancing, which is hopefully what everyone on the Forum hopes the show would do. By doing a celeb-based show (even if the celebs are D-list :eek: ), there's still an impression created that partner dancing isn't something "ordinary" punters do :sad: .

Caught a bit of SCD on Saturday and, with apologies to those on the thread who like it, found it very uninspiring. Maybe it was Brucie :sick: , maybe it was the way some of the routines could barely be called partner dancing (Martin Offiah seemed to hardly ever be in contact with his partner?) - turned over after 10 minutes :o

Tiggerbabe
1st-June-2004, 12:25 AM
I caught a snippet of it on Saturday too, Stuart - tuned in just in time to see Claire Sweeney and partner doing the Tango - they looked great :grin:

Minnie M
1st-June-2004, 07:20 AM
Originally posted by Sheena
I caught a snippet of it on Saturday too, Stuart - tuned in just in time to see Claire Sweeney and partner doing the Tango - they looked great :grin:

You caught the ONLY part worth watching !

I haven't seen it before so I taped it and watched it the following day - boooooooring

and the 'jiving' a mixture of 10% ballroom jive and 90% of kicking and silly stuff - very very disappointing :tears:

This really upsets me, as it gives jive the completely wrong impression :angry:

Jive Brummie
1st-June-2004, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by Minnie M
You caught the ONLY part worth watching !

and the 'jiving' a mixture of 10% ballroom jive and 90% of kicking and silly stuff - very very disappointing :tears:

Totally agree with this. I sat in anticipation at the thought of watching 'jive' on saturday.....sad, i know. However, i did find it a bit of a laugh when i watched that young lad off Eastenders (?) wiggling his ass as fast as it would go......not in time with any music......hahahahahahahahaahahaha!!!!

Did think afterwards though, that if any of my worky-pals had watched this, i'd get ripped to shreds at work this morning.......... sure enough i wasn't dissapointed. It wasn't exactly the best advert for us all was it???:sick:

James....x x

p.s. I used to like that Kaplinski 'bint' until she described jive as being like, "Morris Dancing but worse!!!!"

Lynn
2nd-June-2004, 02:33 PM

This really upsets me, as it gives jive the completely wrong impression :angry: :yeah: Frustrating when you think of what they could have done. And a lot of the time they didn't even look as if they were dancing together - just near each other.

spindr
2nd-June-2004, 02:38 PM
I think that there were two issues going on:
1). Try to do some flashy crowd-pleasing steps.
2). Try to choregraph something that would fit the music tempo. If they were using something like ISTD then Jive should be at 176 bpm -- even experienced dancers here seem to prefer something in the about 150bpm maximum. I think for relative beginners to dance at that pace I can understand why they might not look quite so wonderful.

SpinDr.

Divissima
2nd-June-2004, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by Barry Fife:
flashy crowd-pleasing steps

There are no new steps!

sorry, couldn't resist

Katie
2nd-June-2004, 03:01 PM

But does it? Super advanced Ballroom jive involves kicking about etc which the competitors were attempting to do. If they did basic ballroom jive then it would be far less interesting to watch. It was a similar style (although a whole lot worse) performed by Nicole and ??? at Rebel Yell last year.

As it's the 'Strictly Come Dancing' show, promising ballroom and latin dancing, one would expect to see ballroom jive not modern jive. However, given a choice, I would prefer to watch the latter!

Sheepman
2nd-June-2004, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by Katie
Super advanced Ballroom jive involves kicking about etc which the competitors were attempting to do. If they did basic ballroom jive then it would be far less interesting to watch. I would agree with this if it was done badly, and given the competitors it would be done badly, but of course the whole thing is about putting on a show, I think it has very little to do with creating an interest in dancing, or entertaining existing dancers.

Bad though the whole thing is, I do find it addictive, but Brucie makes my skin crawl, especially when he does that pincer like thing of holding onto the woman's arm (which he does all the time he's talking to the competitors.)

It was a similar style (although a whole lot worse) performed by Nicole and ??? at Rebel Yell last year.I'm confused, do you mean Nicole and Robert (?) Cutler were worse than SCD or vice versa? I may not be a fan of what they do, but surely they are very good at it?

Greg

Minnie M
2nd-June-2004, 04:28 PM
As it's the 'Strictly Come Dancing' show, promising ballroom and latin dancing, one would expect to see ballroom jive not modern jive.

:confused: if they can include Argetinian Tango as well as Ballroom Tango - there should be no reason why they should not include Modern Jive, it certainly is more popular than Ballroom Jive - the trouble is their 'experts' can't do it :wink:

- need Mr & Mrs. B's comments as their Ballroom Jive is good (hmmm is there anything those two can't do)!

I thought the Ballroom Jive demo the Cutlers did last year at Rebel Yell was great and there was at least 75% dance content there

Were they penalised because of the lifts ?? Couldn't work that one out :confused:

spindr
2nd-June-2004, 05:05 PM
:confused: if they can include Argetinian Tango as well as Ballroom Tango

When did they include that? (it was only Modern Ballroom Tango on Saturday).

SpinDr.

Divissima
2nd-June-2004, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by Sheepy:
I'm confused, do you mean Nicole and Robert (?) Cutler were worse than SCD or vice versa? I may not be a fan of what they do, but surely they are very good at it?I couldn't make out which Katie meant either - Katie? It's Nicole and Matthew Cutler. I guess it just depends on what you like - I think they are amazing to watch - such precision.

I started out not really enjoying Strictly Come Dancing. It seemed to be peddling the idea of dancing as some kind of 'novelty' act and poking fun at it rather than promoting it in any positive way. I have to say, though, that as the weeks pass and the celebrities are starting to get addicted to dance, I am really enjoying it - and surely it must be good for promoting dance in general. If only there were less Brucie and more dancing....

I'm hoping that sometime they will let the professionals demonstrate what they do with their normal partners and dance a whole track - now that would be something to get excited about :waycool:

bigdjiver
2nd-June-2004, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by Jive Brummie
p.s. I used to like that Kaplinski 'bint' until she described jive as being like, "Morris Dancing but worse!!!!" :yeah: she did it again on BBC 3 :tears:

I'd like someone more picturesque than I to challenge her to try MJ. It would only take 3 minutes at the end of a lesson shoot .
It is the sort of controvesy that the ___ presenter would go for.

Minnie M
2nd-June-2004, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by spindr
When did they include that? (it was only Modern Ballroom Tango on Saturday)

I stand corrected but I thought (not sure which couple) it was Argy Tango - the judge on the end (the one with an accent) mentioned it too :confused:

spindr
3rd-June-2004, 12:04 AM
I stand corrected but I thought (not sure which couple) it was Argy Tango - the judge on the end (the one with an accent) mentioned it too :confused:

Ah ok, I was just thinking that I might have missed some AT on TV.

SpinDr.

Katie
3rd-June-2004, 10:27 AM
I'm confused, do you mean Nicole and Robert (?) Cutler were worse than SCD or vice versa? I may not be a fan of what they do, but surely they are very good at it?

Greg

I meant Nicole and Matthew are brilliant not worse! Sorry about the misunderstanding!

Siobhan (Forum Plant)
3rd-June-2004, 12:31 PM
Great viewing, very entertaining.
Claire Sweeney will win IMO.

What happened to Ceroc being featured/mentioned? Was that really a scam?

Bigger Andy
3rd-June-2004, 12:33 PM
I'm hoping that sometime they will let the professionals demonstrate what they do with their normal partners and dance a whole track - now that would be something to get excited about :waycool:

Sheepman
3rd-June-2004, 12:52 PM
I meant Nicole and Matthew are brilliant I decided that's what you meant almost immediately after I posted. (It's just not like a lawyer to be so imprecise! :devil: )

I was thinking of another of the evils of this programme. For pretty obvious reasons, the women competitors are looking far better than the men, excepting sympathy votes, it seems pretty likely that we will be left with all women celebs. If this programme does encourage anyone to go into dancing, it's unlikely that it will be the men that go for it.

The BBC list of local dance organisations did not include any local modern jive, swing or salsa organisations, just our local ballroom class.I wish I'd read that before having a look myself, of course it could be a good thing, do we want to be associated with this programme?

why they should not include Modern Jive, it certainly is more popular than Ballroom Jive - the trouble is their 'experts' can't do it . Is this true though? I have certainly met one ballroom teacher who teaches modern jive to "gold medal" standard, whatever that is. But I got the impression from him that we are looked down upon as riff raff!

Greg

Bigger Andy
3rd-June-2004, 01:07 PM
If this programme does encourage anyone to go into dancing, it's unlikely that it will be the men that go for it.

This is generally a problem.

The ladies suffer as they have to sit out so many dances and can become discouraged. :sad:

It is not a problem for me as it means that I get more dances ! :grin:

Why do so few men dance ? :confused:

Most men like the idea of being amongst lots of lovely ladies :yum:
but when it comes to going to a dance class they don't do it ! :confused:

What can be done to rectify the situation ?

Sheepman
3rd-June-2004, 02:05 PM
Most men like the idea of being amongst lots of lovely ladies :yum: They like the idea, but when it comes down to it, it's all too scary! Aren't all the real men down the pub, (in a smoky haze) drinking with their mates?

Greg

Minnie M
3rd-June-2004, 02:10 PM
............ I have certainly met one ballroom teacher who teaches modern jive to "gold medal" standard, whatever that is.

Really :really: didn't know that - will check with Carola (she calls it C'est Roc)

jezza
4th-June-2004, 11:49 AM
For pretty obvious reasons, the women competitors are looking far better than the men, excepting sympathy votes, it seems pretty likely that we will be left with all women celebs.

Greg

Nothing wrong with that, I`ll rather watch the women anyhow

Daisy Chain
7th-June-2004, 12:04 PM
Is it me or do all the non-latin dances look the same? I'm blowed if I can see the difference between this weeks Slow Foxtrot and last week's Quickstep. And why do they put modern jive dips and drops in the foxtrot?

How nice to see 2 of the professionals dance together this week.

Daisy

BTW this week I will be mainly wearing a fluffy red boa on my bum.

spindr
7th-June-2004, 12:57 PM
Is it me or do all the non-latin dances look the same? I'm blowed if I can see the difference between this weeks Slow Foxtrot and last week's Quickstep.

Well, I think if you watched a beginner Jive leader and a beginner Salsero you might easily confuse them -- expecially if there routine's been simplified to get rid of the difficult footwork :) I think the directors are missing a trick here to show what the dance should ideally look like; get the professionals to demo it first?

Quickstep *should* be much much quicker with more of a "hoppy" exuberant feel to it (more of a Charleston-like feel). Foxtrot should be calmer with more subtle rise and fall (more of a WCS-like feel).

SpinDr.

Jive Brummie
8th-June-2004, 06:27 PM
Watched it again on saturday in a vain hope of pinching moves!!!! Was some nice stuff on there.

Can't believe that eastenders youth hasn't been voted out yet...........he's like a wooden top.

Paul Killick & Verona did a :waycool: move where she ran at him and he continued the move running backwards with her in his arms!!!! :worthy:

Clare Sweeney........v.impressive. Definately a potential winner.

Kaplinski mentioned the term's, "jive" and, "morris dancing" in the same sentence again.......... :angry: :angry:

ChrisA
8th-June-2004, 06:56 PM
Quickstep *should* be much much quicker with more of a "hoppy" exuberant feel to it (more of a Charleston-like feel). Foxtrot should be calmer with more subtle rise and fall (more of a WCS-like feel).

Dunno about a Charleston-like feel, but I absolutely loathe the hoppy gallopy style of modern quickstep.

I only ever got "advanced" enough to do a tiny amount of that, and I hated it. Although it's obviously difficult to do well, and requires a lot of ability etc, I still think it looks crap.

Chris.

Dance Demon
8th-June-2004, 07:25 PM
. Although it's obviously difficult to do well, and requires a lot of ability etc, I still think it looks crap.

Chris.

:yeah: .......loved the foxtrot, and all the latin stuff though:clap: :clap:

Doc Iain
8th-June-2004, 08:02 PM
Kaplinski mentioned the term's, "jive" and, "morris dancing" in the same sentence again.......... :angry: :angry:

nothing wrong with that!... morris dancing helps you do the triple step!....trust me, i know! :rolleyes:

Jive Brummie
8th-June-2004, 10:42 PM
nothing wrong with that!... morris dancing helps you do the triple step!....trust me, i know! :rolleyes:

Sorry Doc, didn't mean to offend the morris dancers......

........each to their own and all that.

:flower:

Divissima
9th-June-2004, 01:29 PM
Although it's obviously difficult to do well, and requires a lot of ability etc, I still think it looks crap.I have found that Strictly Come Dancing has changed my views of the ballroom dances - especially the quickstep. I've only ever seen it done before in formation ('Burn the Floor') and in competition when there are several or even many couples on the floor. Lots of couples bobbing around (synchronised or otherwise) is very disconcerting. Seen just with one couple however, I thought it looked rather good. Just my opinion - I tend to feel rather over-awed by the amazing technique involved. Slow foxtrot looked just divine :nice:

I thought that Paul and Verona perhaps didn't deserve to go out this week - although their performance and routine wasn't up to the standard of previous weeks. But I was completely amazed that the couple with the next to bottom score (after the public vote) was Anton and Leslie Garrett. Their dancing has been consistently excellent - but perhaps they grate a little with the public, I don't know.

Claire & John to win, I say :wink:

RobC
13th-June-2004, 09:46 PM
What a farce !!! :angry: (Or is that FIX :really: )

How can anyone in their right minds choose to keep Christopher "I can't dance to save my life" Parker in the competition over Clare Sweeney ? She was dancing fantastically tonight :worthy: - as for Chris, don't give up the day job !!! :rofl:

Does it strike anyone else that allowing people to vote for the couples before they have even danced, as stinking of the BBC accountants cashing in on the voting process rather than being an accurate reflection of public opinion ? :devil:

Come on BBC, don't open the phone lines for voting until the couples have danced, and how about showing us just how many votes the public have made and the total scores.

Dance Demon
13th-June-2004, 10:04 PM
Well..the best all round dancers went out tonight.......but what else can you expect. it's like pop Idol and big brother....majority of voters are teenage females. this show has nothing at all to do with dancing ability, or else Christopher Parker would have been out after the first show.....( come to think of it he's survived Eastenders without acting ability......but then I s'pose that goes for most of the cast :D ).......and I think it's time for Brucie to call it a day..........he don't 'alf go on a bit these days :(

Jive Brummie
13th-June-2004, 10:12 PM
Watched 'S.C.D' tonight and couldn't believe it.

How on earth did Claire Sweeney and her fella' get voted out. They were by far the best on the dancefloor. Maybe that was the problem....they made it look too easy?? Me and the missus ended up shouting at the tele!!!!!!!!!! like they can hear us :sick:

Chris Parker........Eastenders dude............crap. He is absolutely pants. I have no idea whatsoever as to how or who votes for this rhythm deficient (sp?) muppet. In the Samba he just jumped around like an eejit with his arms flailing everywhere and then in the Viennese Waltz he was practically running round as if lapping people would get him extra points!!!

BBC viewing public....get a grip.

James..........x

p.s. Claire Sweeney was far better than that Kaplinski 'jive-hater' too :devil:

Dance Demon
13th-June-2004, 10:28 PM
p.s. Claire Sweeney was far better than that Kaplinski 'jive-hater' too :devil:

:yeah: ............ :D

foxylady
13th-June-2004, 10:33 PM
....majority of voters are teenage females.....

did any of you really think this competition was about dancing ? !!??**!!??

Especially after that w*nker made a farce of the ceroc champs intermediate comp.....

Just be grateful that the profile of partner dancing is being raised, and lobby the bbc to include links to ceroc classes on their website !!!

bigdjiver
13th-June-2004, 11:19 PM
Let all us guys just be grateful that young Chris does not turn up at our venues.:clap:

OTOH he might bring in more wimmin than he could handle :confused:

It is definitely a farce, though. :tears:

Any bets on how many I will mow down trying his Vienna arial?

Sparkles
13th-June-2004, 11:32 PM
What are they doing voting Claire and John off?!!!
I'm devastated.
So much for voting for people that can *actually* dance.

Divissima
14th-June-2004, 08:51 AM
What are they doing voting Claire and John off?!!!
I'm devastated.
So much for voting for people that can *actually* dance.
:yeah: I was so gob-smacked by the decision to vote Claire and John off the show that I (like Jive Brummie and FC) was heckling my TV.

As Foxylady and Sparkles have said, it isn't about dance. It's a popularity contest and the 'teenage heart-throb' isn't called that for nothing, it seems. Chris Parker is trying really hard, but he just hasn't got it - he should have gone out a long time ago but I fear every week from now on, one of the couples who can actually dance will go. It's bound to be Leslie and Anton next week as they have clearly proved unpopular in the public vote, being in the bottom two for the past two weeks. Makes me want to weep with frustration :tears:

Sparkles
14th-June-2004, 10:14 AM
:yeah: I was so gob-smacked by the decision to vote Claire and John off the show that I (like Jive Brummie and FC) was heckling my TV.

As Foxylady and Sparkles have said, it isn't about dance. It's a popularity contest and the 'teenage heart-throb' isn't called that for nothing, it seems. Chris Parker is trying really hard, but he just hasn't got it - he should have gone out a long time ago but I fear every week from now on, one of the couples who can actually dance will go. It's bound to be Leslie and Anton next week as they have clearly proved unpopular in the public vote, being in the bottom two for the past two weeks. Makes me want to weep with frustration :tears:

I totally agree. Claire and John's Tango was absolutely amazing and they've done particularly well every week (and I'd kill to be in Claire's position having seen John dance live and having met him, he is a lovely person, a true gentleman and an amazing dancer :drool: ). As much as Leslie annoys me :angry: I too feel that she and Anton will probably be out next - after all, how can they compete with a teenage heart-throb and a romantic interlude??? The two most experienced latin male dancers are now out, the most experienced modern dancer is sure to follow. Something tells me I won't bother tuning in next week. :sad:

TheTramp
14th-June-2004, 10:39 AM

But they probably won't care Sparkles.

After all, they'll still have the 7.6million who are tuning in to see the heart-throb and the romantic interlude. Why bother with the dancing???

Trampy

Sparkles
14th-June-2004, 10:41 AM

But they probably won't care Sparkles.

After all, they'll still have the 7.6million who are tuning in to see the heart-throb and the romantic interlude. Why bother with the dancing???

Trampy

But it's soooo wrong! :tears:

TheTramp
14th-June-2004, 10:49 AM
Agreed.

But then, I stopped watching the actual dancing bit after 5 minutes of seeing Brucie in action.

And I stopped watching the stuff on BBC3 after watching 5 minute of that plonker from Bristol in action....

Trampy

Zebra Woman
14th-June-2004, 11:44 AM
Arrghhh!!! After enduring Chris Parker's Samba last night, I'm afraid his 'Waltz' tipped me over the edge. I switched off in disgust, so I missed the vote last night.

Have just found out here on the forum that the entrancing Claire Sweeney was voted off !!! I am absoulutely gutted, she was a winner in my eyes. Why ever did I think it was about dancing?? Stupid stupid stupid :tears: :tears:

Bill
14th-June-2004, 12:11 PM
Have only seen about 5 mins of the programme and only read a few of the comments here but there seems to be a similarity between the 'popularity' theme here and with some comments made about the Jive Masters when the 'public' votes.

What did surprise me was how simiar the moves - and movements were when I saw two of the men who I assume are trained dancers - and some of the top mj dancers. The use of arm, the lines, the poses and even some of the moves were the same as quite a few I've seen at some comps. And of course there's also been mention elsewhere of the number of women now wearing latin/ballroom dresses at mj comps.

Is the gap between what's percieved as latin or ballroom and mj closing ????

Saw Claire Sweeny and her partner dance on Saturday and then another couple - a female breakfast time presenter ???? and her partner. Both seemd to dance very well but I'll not be tuning in again.

Rachel
14th-June-2004, 12:15 PM
You know what? Personally, I'm pretty surprised that we're all taking this so seriously. I mean, it's an entertainment show with, mostly, non-dancing celebrities being voted on by, probably, a predominantly non-dancing public. What did we expect??

Ok, I've only seen 3 half-shows, so my opinion is not exactly well-founded. Actually, I never intended to watch any of it, given all the bad press about it on the forum - and cos I'm not exactly much of a tv watcher. But what I have seen I've really enjoyed. There are so many great ideas for moves that I'd love to try out in a Ceroc environment.

Sure, I was surprised that Claire Sweeney was voted out. But I admire many of the others a lot more. I haven't got a clue who this Christopher guy is, and yes, of course he's a crap dancer. But good on him for giving it a go and trying so hard. Particularly last night when he acknowledged how bad he was and for agreeing to send himself up in a comical 'Samba' routine.

The person I totally admire the most is his pro partner. Can you imagine how frustrating it could have been for her to be partnered with him? Having to make compromsise after compromise in order to get some semblance of a Samba routine with a partner who can't dance ... Probably staking her reputation on the line. I think she's done brilliantly with him. Samba looks bloody difficult - not exactly an easy dance for even the most proficient movers. The male pros who have been partnering Claire and the like had it sooo easy in comparison!

Anyway, my vote last night would have gone to the rugby player - for a non-dancer made good. I thought he was great, and really made the most of what he could do. Ok, not technically brilliant, but so what?!
Rachel

spindr
14th-June-2004, 01:18 PM
Woohoo, good news looks like there's going to be another series...
...bad news Brucie may not be fronting it...
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/article/ds14711.html.

SpinDr.
P.S. Dave and Katya (http://www.trinityleroc.co.uk) will be teaching some of the moves in Bristol on June 22nd at BAWA :)

Sparkles
14th-June-2004, 01:24 PM
I completely agree that Martin did a really good job on his Samba last night.
I also think that Hannah is an absolute saint to put up with Chris and his complete lack of dancing expertise (especially seeing as she's used to dancing with Paul Killick, who has now also been knocked out of the competition).
And as for Chris trying to learn a Samba and it being difficult, it was the first dance I ever learnt when I was 5yrs old - so I'm sure he should have at least been able to grasp the basic rhythm!
Oh, and I completely agree with Trampy :hug: that they could have at least chosen decent hosts for the show - it is indeed good news that Brucie may not be hosting the next series.
OK, will stop ranting now, sorry everyone :blush:

Rachel
14th-June-2004, 01:51 PM
And as for Chris trying to learn a Samba and it being difficult, it was the first dance I ever learnt when I was 5yrs old - so I'm sure he should have at least been able to grasp the basic rhythm! Enjoyed your post, Sparkles! But, c'mon, there are numerous people who can't dance to the beat doing modern jive ...after years of trying. Samba must surely be more difficult than that?
R.

Divissima
14th-June-2004, 01:59 PM
Must admit samba is the latin dance I found the hardest and just couldn't get in the few lessons I had in it. My head understood how I was supposed to move my hips, legs and feet, but somehow my body just couldn't deliver :blush:

RobC
14th-June-2004, 02:07 PM
I haven't got a clue who this Christopher guy is, and yes, of course he's a crap dancer. But good on him for giving it a go and trying so hard.
Personally, I have to agree with Shane Ritchie's comments - "the boy can't event walk in time !!" - yes, he's trying, very trying .... :sick:

Anyway, my vote last night would have gone to the rugby player - for a non-dancer made good. I thought he was great, and really made the most of what he could do. Ok, not technically brilliant, but so what?!
Well, having been a rugby player myself before taking up Ballroom Dancing, I know exactly how hard it is for him - IMHO Martin is the star of the show. He doesn't have the luxury of being lead round the floor by the professional half of the partnership, he isn't continuously winging about not being able to dance and then pratting around on the dance floor on a live show, he is buckling down to some seriously hard practise time and coming up with the goods ! :worthy:

I really hope he makes it to the end of the series and knock Chris out of the competition.

Rachel
14th-June-2004, 02:11 PM
Must admit samba is the latin dance I found the hardest and just couldn't get in the few lessons I had in it. My head understood how I was supposed to move my hips, legs and feet, but somehow my body just couldn't deliver :blush: Just what I fear would happen to me! Actually, this does happen quite often, even doing Ceroc dancing!!!

But I'd sooo love to learn Samba now ... Do you think 35's a bit old to start learning latin dances and have any hope of getting anywhere?
Rachel

TheTramp
14th-June-2004, 02:14 PM
But I'd sooo love to learn Samba now ... Do you think 35's a bit old to start learning latin dances and have any hope of getting anywhere?
I hope not, cos I'm trying to find somewhere in Dundee where I can learn, and I'm 17 days older than you :tears:!!

Trampy

TheTramp
14th-June-2004, 02:30 PM
Hmmm... nice database problems!! :(

Trampy

Sparkles
14th-June-2004, 02:51 PM
Just what I fear would happen to me! Actually, this does happen quite often, even doing Ceroc dancing!!!

Rachel

Of course not! :hug:
It's one of my favourite dances, if you like I'll teach you!!

OK, anyone that wants to learn to Samba come to London and we'll have a get together - you'll all be wiggling-away by the end of the afternoon :clap:

ChrisA
14th-June-2004, 02:52 PM
IMHO Martin is the star of the show.
........ :yeah:

I find myself watching Martin Offiah and thinking to myself... not sure I could be as good as he is in such a short time. And I have a fair bit of ballroom and latin in my background. I hope I could do it, particularly with the kind of intensive instruction from a superstar, but I'm not at all sure...

Chris

Sparkles
14th-June-2004, 02:52 PM
Enjoyed your post, Sparkles! But, c'mon, there are numerous people who can't dance to the beat doing modern jive ...after years of trying. Samba must surely be more difficult than that?
R.

OK, fair enough, but he's dancing with a professional!!!

Rachel
14th-June-2004, 03:03 PM

OK, anyone that wants to learn to Samba come to London and we'll have a get together - you'll all be wiggling-away by the end of the afternoon :clap: Yes please!!! And anyone who could teach me how to shimmy would be my hero(ine) ...
R.

foxylady
14th-June-2004, 03:05 PM

OK, anyone that wants to learn to Samba come to London and we'll have a get together - you'll all be wiggling-away by the end of the afternoon :clap:

Ooh Sparkles, will you teach me... Although on the wiggling stakes, I've probably got a bit I could teach you !! :wink:

TheTramp
14th-June-2004, 03:17 PM

Count me in next time I'm down there!!!

Trampy

Sparkles
14th-June-2004, 03:42 PM
Am always willing to learn new things, Foxylady!
As for the rest, shimmying, wiggling, samba-ing - let me know what you want to learn and I'll do my best to teach it to you.
Wow - I thought you were all going to hate me for being an ex-ballroomer, thankfully I was wrong. :hug: :clap:

TheTramp
14th-June-2004, 03:46 PM
Uh huh. Very wrong :D

You sure you don't mind helping out beginners like me??

Trampy

foxylady
14th-June-2004, 03:49 PM
Am always willing to learn new things, Foxylady!

Ah Grasshopper, I have many things to teach you.... :wink: :hug:

Sparkles
14th-June-2004, 03:52 PM
Uh huh. Very wrong :D

You sure you don't mind helping out beginners like me??

Trampy

It would be my pleasure :hug: :flower:

Sparkles
14th-June-2004, 03:52 PM
Ah Grasshopper, I have many things to teach you.... :wink: :hug:

Sounds like fun :wink:
When can we start???

TheTramp
14th-June-2004, 03:53 PM
It would be my pleasure :hug: :flower:
I'll be very hard work!!

But I'll look forward to it.

Trampy

Zebra Woman
14th-June-2004, 03:54 PM
Yes please Sparkles, count me in! :clap:
Whenever I try and shimmy all the wrong bits start shaking :blush:

Sparkles
14th-June-2004, 03:55 PM
I'll be very hard work!!

But I'll look forward to it.

Trampy

I'll cope, I have lots of stamina :wink:

Rachel
I hope not, cos I'm trying to find somewhere in Dundee where I can learn, and I'm 17 days older than you :tears:!!

Trampy Ah, yes ... that vital 17 day difference!!

Ok, joking aside, you'll be my inspiration - go for it!
Rachel

TheTramp
I'll cope, I have lots of stamina :wink:
Woohoo :clap: :worthy: :flower:

Trampy

Sparkles
14th-June-2004, 03:56 PM
Yes please Sparkles, count me in! :clap:
Whenever I try and shimmy all the wrong bits start shaking :blush:

I think many people would agree that this is never a bad thing :wink:
Don't worry, we'll get your bits under control in no time...
... now where did I put that straight-jacket? (only kidding) :flower:

Jayne
14th-June-2004, 04:11 PM
I got this in an e-mail today from an unnamed source (unless they want to be named...)

Think about the following :-

After the Judges verdicts the points were :-
Natasha & Brendon 5
Clare & John 4
Lesley & Anton 3
Martin & Erin 2
Chris & Hanna 1

The worst Clare and John have done was to be last in the public vote i.e. 1 point. Total = 5

To beat this Chris & Hanna must win the public vote. Total = 1 + 5 = 6 (Unless there is a rule that in the event of a points tie, the public vote takes precedent)

For Martin & Erin to stay in they must score 2 + 4 =6

Likewise for Lesley & Anton 3 + 3 = 6

That only leaves Natasha & Brendon at 5 + 2 =7

It all fits what happened.

It is obvious from the way Chris & Hanna danced last night they must know they are well ahead in the public vote, hence they can make fools of
everything/body and still stay in. Unless all the competitors, judges and presenters are stupid, they must realise this, hence they have all been "gagged".

If I'm right and it's all about public popularity expect the "Final" to be between Chris & Hanna and Martin & Erin. Martin & Erin will get the judges vote and Chris & Hanna will win the public vote i.e. 3 points each. They will then be forced to tell us how they are bending the rules so that C & H are the winners.

Conclusion:- It's a farce/fix designed to "entertain" the public - nothing to do with dancing.
So do you think it's all a conspiracy?

Gordon J Pownall
14th-June-2004, 04:11 PM
Just catching up - Has any of the Ceroc Champs actually been shown on the show yet or not ??? :confused:

Has that prat on TV (ooo arrr) who made the intermediate rounds a farce been ritually monstered or beasted ???
:rofl:
Is it only me that thinks Leslie Garrett is sh*gging her partner ??? :what:

Controversial but these questions need answering !! :yeah:

Sheepman
14th-June-2004, 04:23 PM
and then in the Viennese Waltz he was practically running round as if lapping people would get him extra points!!! Almost took the words right out of my mouth!

I suppose if we all really cared, we could all start voting, but I think that's taking it too far! I wonder how many dancers are bothering to vote?

Greg

Bigger Andy
14th-June-2004, 04:26 PM
I suppose if we all really cared, we could all start voting, but I think that's taking it too far! I wonder how many dancers are bothering to vote?

I'm not bothering to vote ! My one vote won't make any difference.

Are you suggesting that we all come to some arrangement to vote for a particular couple next week ? :devil:

Sheepman
14th-June-2004, 04:41 PM
Stupid stupid stupid :tears: :tears: :yeah:
:wink:

Greg

Sheepman
14th-June-2004, 04:51 PM
Are you suggesting that we all come to some arrangement to vote for a particular couple next week ? :devil:Of course not, just voting for the best dancers.
But as I say - I shan't be bothering.

It's interesting how the number of male and female celebs has now evened up, after it looked like all the men would be first out :devil:
Greg

Stuart
14th-June-2004, 07:11 PM
I'm not bothering to vote ! My one vote won't make any difference.

Are you suggesting that we all come to some arrangement to vote for a particular couple next week ? :devil:

I'd heard rumours that the Rugby League fraternity were doing this for Martin Offiah anyway!

Stubob
15th-June-2004, 10:18 AM
I'm of the mind now that it doesn't really matter what Christopher and Hannah do they will be marked top by the public and probably go on to win the competition. I would like Lesley and Anton to win because they have entertained me the most, however I hope that if the event is judged on dancing ability Natasha and Brenda win.

It is probably fair to point out that the longer Christopher stays in the competition the more money will be raised for Sport Relief :nice:

Stubob

Minnie M
19th-June-2004, 08:04 PM
Chris Parker........Eastenders dude............crap. He is absolutely pants. I have no idea whatsoever as to how or who votes for this rhythm deficient (sp?) muppet. In the Samba he just jumped around like an eejit with his arms flailing everywhere and then in the Viennese Waltz he was practically running round as if lapping people would get him extra points!!!

And tonight he was even worse :really: BUT I have never laughed so much watching someone dance :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: he was so bad, what did they say 'superman' or was it draaaackularrrr and the stamping like 4 year old - great entertainment value AND lots of money for charity - the funny thing is, he is really trying hard to dance.

Was this the plan :confused: to have a tone deaf and totally wooden pretty boy a competitor ? It is making a complete mokery of the dancing:tears:

And what about Brucie :yuck: :sick: - his singing wasn't bad, but I thought he was a dancer :confused: :whistle:

ElaineB
19th-June-2004, 09:29 PM
Just watched this for the first time, but tuned in fifteen minutes late, so missed the important bit - the dancing! :blush:

Saw some extracts though and I agree with you Minnie, poor Chris does not appear to be able to dance, so I imagine his partner thought it was best to give him a huge cloake to hide his ineptitude. :rofl:

Natasha & Brendon seemed to be extremely competant and what legs (Natasha that is)!

As for the compere :angry: what a complete and utter, utter.............. and who is that 'killer' guy? Lovely mover though :wink:

Elaine

foxylady
19th-June-2004, 09:54 PM
And what about Brucie :yuck: :sick: - his singing wasn't bad, but I thought he was a dancer :confused: :whistle:

Awwww Minnie give the guy a break - he is 76... (and I know Frankie Manning is considerably older, but Brucie was never in that league anyway)

Lynn
19th-June-2004, 10:04 PM
I got this in an e-mail today from an unnamed source "...Unless there is a rule that in the event of a points tie, the public vote takes precedent..."
They actually mentioned in the show tonight that this is what happens if there is a tie - I wonder did they get some complaints or some other people working out how the scores last week added up?

bigdjiver
20th-June-2004, 12:39 AM
Quote:
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">Originally Posted by Jayne
I got this in an e-mail today from an unnamed source "...Unless there is a rule that in the event of a points tie, the public vote takes precedent..."

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

They actually mentioned in the show tonight that this is what happens if there is a tie - I wonder did they get some complaints or some other people working out how the scores last week added up?On this basis can't dance Chris could well win it :sad:

Lynn
20th-June-2004, 11:31 AM
On this basis can't dance Chris could well win it :sad: It is clearly a competition on two levels - firstly dancing - we watch, the judges give their points on the couples performance of the dance - then the second level - a popularity contest - the public vote, seemingly with little reference to the couples dance performance. I only hope that Chris doesn't win!!

Dance Demon
20th-June-2004, 12:09 PM
It is clearly a competition on two levels - firstly dancing - we watch, the judges give their points on the couples performance of the dance - then the second level - a popularity contest - the public vote, seemingly with little reference to the couples dance performance. I only hope that Chris doesn't win!!

:yeah: On the basis of dance ability Claire Sweeney would have won .......on popularity Chris the pretty boy will almost certainly win,........which is pants, but have enjoyed watching the dancing anyway.. :cool:

Sheepman
21st-June-2004, 11:23 AM
BUT I have never laughed so much watching someone dance :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
I'm coming to the conclusion that Chris is really a dance genius, and that he is just acting the part of an imbecile. After all, how else could he go through all those weeks of training, with an expert dancer, and still come out looking so bad? :devil:

Greg

Andy McGregor
21st-June-2004, 11:35 AM
I'm coming to the conclusion that Chris is really a dance genius, and that he is just acting the part of an imbecile. After all, how else could he go through all those weeks of training, with an expert dancer, and still come out looking so bad? :devil:

Greg

If Chris wins he could run workshops and teach people his "winning style":wink:

Bigger Andy
21st-June-2004, 12:42 PM
It is clearly a competition on two levels - firstly dancing - we watch, the judges give their points on the couples performance of the dance - then the second level - a popularity contest - the public vote, seemingly with little reference to the couples dance performance. I only hope that Chris doesn't win!!

I am beginning to think that maybe it would be a good thing if Chris did win ! :devil:

Surely that would prove what a farce the programme and the judging in particular is becoming !!! :angry: :sad:

foxylady
21st-June-2004, 12:47 PM
I am beginning to think that maybe it would be a good thing if Chris did win ! :devil:

[ODA MODE=ON]
Actually, he's pulling in the viewers, he's raising the awareness of partner dance, and he's sending out a message to a load of youngsters that its OK to dance, its OK to make a prat of yourself and its OK to have a bit of fun doing it. Given that one of the reasons young men in particular don't dance is because they don't like the idea of looking stupid in front of their mates, despite the awfulness of his dancing, he is helping the cause....

[ODA MODE=OFF]

Gareth
21st-June-2004, 12:58 PM

Mean while back in the real world........................ :whistle:

I read in one of the national papers, that the judges were threatening to walk out because Chris Parker is making a mockery of the whole competition.

The guy can`t dance :really:

Andy McGregor
21st-June-2004, 01:07 PM

Mean while back in the real world........................ :whistle:

I read in one of the national papers, that the judges were threatening to walk out because Chris Parker is making a mockery of the whole competition.

The guy can`t dance :really:

The objective of the TV station is to increase the number of viewers watching the show. They probably sent this out in a press release...

DavidB
21st-June-2004, 01:09 PM
the judges were threatening to walk out because Chris Parker is making a mockery of the whole competition.And the problem with that would be???

Graham W
21st-June-2004, 04:16 PM
Whatever u might say about the prog there are some great ideas 4 moves!
Is it Chris or the voters making a mockery of it? It'd be a shame if Brendan & Natasha didnt win in my opinion.. :-(

G

Gareth
21st-June-2004, 05:41 PM
It'd be a shame if Brendan & Natasha didnt win in my opinion.. :-(

I agree with you on this one Graham.

The problem with turning a show like this into a farce IMHO is that it is unlikely to encourage anyone new from taking up partner dancing or taking it seriously :sad:

The show had the potential of being a showcase window into the benefits and pleasures of partner dancing. I think the BBC has failed to do this.

The show stopped being a dance competition the minute Claire sweeney was booted off. I can`t believe that the potential winner of the show can`t actually dance. It beggars belief. Perhaps Euro 2004 could use this format the team who can`t score goals, but are the most popular win :eek:

This show has been reduced to a popularity competition. Maybe they should get Wayne Rooney for the next show, he`s quite popular at the moment :rofl:

ElaineB
21st-June-2004, 07:18 PM
I agree with you on this one Graham.

The show stopped being a dance competition the minute Claire sweeney was booted off. I can`t believe that the potential winner of the show can`t actually dance. It beggars belief. Perhaps Euro 2004 could use this format the team who can`t score goals, but are the most popular win :eek:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Elaine

Jayne
22nd-June-2004, 09:53 AM
The show had the potential of being a showcase window into the benefits and pleasures of partner dancing. I think the BBC has failed to do this.
I'm going to have to disagree with you here Gareth. :flower:

I think the show ranges from poor to c**p in many aspects, which I won't go into here. But one of the things that has come out of it is how addictive partner dancing is. How many of the contenstants have said each week how much they've enjoyed ballroom dancing and that they hope to carry on with it after the show finishes? Leslie in particular appears to have been bowled over with ballroom & Natasha's increased confidence as the series has gone on has been wonderful to watch.

I even hate to admit it, but I think even Chris has done partner dancing good - he's been a window to the younger viewers and has shown just how much fun you can have (even if you can't dance properly, or at all...)

Forte
22nd-June-2004, 10:07 AM
The programme is clearly more about television than about dancing and that is why Chris is kept on...his humiliation is good for ratings. I would love to see Natasha's partner (forgot his name - the dancer from new zealand) dance with his proper partner...some of the moves he was attempting this week were amazing...it was a pity Natasha couldn't keep up. I'd love to see what he can do with someone who can match his ability.

Andy McGregor
22nd-June-2004, 10:28 AM
I even hate to admit it, but I think even Chris has done partner dancing good - he's been a window to the younger viewers and has shown just how much fun you can have (even if you can't dance properly, or at all...)

I think Jayne is right. Years ago Clive James did a series of documentaries about Argentina. As part of the documentary he had to learn Argentinian Tango. I heard that he carried on doing it after he got back to London he enjoyed it so much. And, more importantly, the show really raised the awareness of this style of dance:clap:

Jayne
22nd-June-2004, 11:18 AM
I think Jayne is right. Years ago Clive James did a series of documentaries about Argentina. As part of the documentary he had to learn Argentinian Tango. I heard that he carried on doing it after he got back to London he enjoyed it so much. And, more importantly, the show really raised the awareness of this style of dance:clap:
Tis true - outside the circle he's probably the most well known Arg Tango dancer.

Divissima
22nd-June-2004, 11:35 AM
I remember seeing the series - Travels with my Tutu, when Deborah Bull tried a different style of dancing each week. Clive James was on the tango programme. He looked pretty good. I really enjoyed what I saw of the series. DB, already being a professional dancer, picked up the dances quickly and with apparent ease.

I agree with Jayne, though, having celebs who couldn't dance to begin with now getting the glint of dance addiction in their eye, and having tremendous fun with it, (even without much apparent dance ability) must be a good thing for dance in general.

Sheepman
22nd-June-2004, 12:00 PM
Travels with my Tutu, when Deborah Bull tried a different style of dancing each week. I enjoyed that series too, as it was good to see a true professional (Deborah Bull) showing enthusiasm for every dance style she came across. She looked pretty good dancing with Simon Selmon too, even if her ballet style didn't quite mix with Lindy! Of course I would have liked to have seen more MJ in that programme, I think we got less than 10 minutes in all.

Greg

Andy McGregor
22nd-June-2004, 01:56 PM
Of course I would have liked to have seen more MJ in that programme, I think we got less than 10 minutes in all.

Greg

IMHO they portrayed MJ as akin to speed-dating. So I think it's probably a good thing that they didn't show too much.

Then again, speed dating is popular and single people are as likely to dance as anyone else.

On second thoughts, showing MJ as suitable for singles and as a place where you might meet a new partner is bound to attract loads of new dancers so I'm all for it :clap:

Zebra Woman
22nd-June-2004, 03:01 PM
If Strictly Come dancing encourages single people to come to MJ to find a partner, I'm happy with that. So long as they dance, and don't sit around smoking. :whistle: :mad:
I'm not watching it live anymore. I record it, so I can skip past Chris & Hannah, and pick up new moves from the others....

I enjoyed the Deborah Bull travels with my tutu, especially the tango bit. But I was seething after seeing the modern jive section. In all the other dance forms she had danced with an expert and given it a good go, but in the Ceroc section she was only arm-jiving with Joe public. Meanwhile the fabulous Roy was on stage :drool: . Why didn't he dance with her too ?? Did I miss something??

Andy McGregor
22nd-June-2004, 05:01 PM
So long as they dance, and don't sit around smoking. :whistle: :mad:

Sparkles
28th-June-2004, 10:12 AM
Did anyone else guss what was going to happen on Saturday night before the results came out - not that it was obvious at all!
Poor Anton - though I can't say I shall be sorry to see the back of Lesley...

bigdjiver
28th-June-2004, 10:40 AM
Did anyone else guss what was going to happen on Saturday night before the results came out - not that it was obvious at all!
Poor Anton - though I can't say I shall be sorry to see the back of Lesley... It was obvious to me. What saddened me was there was yet another contestant dissing ballroom jive, but just callng it "jive", and yet another one that looked like she could dance MJ with any competent lead.

Chicklet
28th-June-2004, 11:10 AM
Absolutely no disrespect to any of them for giving it a damn good go BUT - Have all the contestants danced the Ballroom Jive "more badly" than the other dances or do I just not have an eye to notice that they are equally unnatural in ALL the dances, and I just don't know enough to recognise it?

Sparkles
28th-June-2004, 11:16 AM
Absolutely no disrespect to any of them for giving it a damn good go BUT - Have all the contestants danced the Ballroom Jive "more badly" than the other dances or do I just not have an eye to notice that they are equally unnatural in ALL the dances, and I just don't know enough to recognise it?

Their ballroom Jive is particularly bad - take it from me, your eyes are fine - their jive is rubbish!
A silver medallist could have done the routien Lesley and Anton did (and that's not a compliment).
Natasha and Brendan's Paso Doble, however, was outstanding - I was gob-smacked that they were soooo good! :clap:

Stubob
28th-June-2004, 12:29 PM
I missed the show because I did not understand my TV paper :blush:

I wasn't surprised that Anton and Lesley went out this week and I won't be surprised when Christopher and Hannah win next week :angry:

I have enjoyed watching the programme and have admiration for none dancers learning one or two dances in a week and then dancing them live on television. Tis something I could not do myself :worthy:

Stubob

latinlover
28th-June-2004, 01:18 PM
"I have enjoyed watching the programme and have admiration for none dancers learning one or two dances in a week and then dancing them live on television. Tis something I could not do myself"
i have found it really enjoyable , for all its faults
It's been great to have danciing ontv,and my whole family sit and watch and scream or gasp in awe
I do think Hannah deserves praise for dragging that poor lad around week after week , and what about the cabaret she did???!!!:worthy:
I think the camera work has sharpened up more and more over the weeks:cheers:
Next time around (and I do hope there will be a next time) I would like to see all the couples compete on more equal terms , at the end of an equal amount of training.Maybe establish a leader board with just the judges votes, and then allow the public to vote in the final? A larger field would hopefully split the eastenders fan-base vote :mad: and give more chance to the next Martin Offiah or Claire Sweeney,
Let's face it , even the camp comedian (sorry mate, forgot your name)did a better waltz than chris- he was just voted out on weird personality
why couldn't they have a dance cabaret every week instead ofthe lame musical numbers they gave us?

Sparkles
28th-June-2004, 02:15 PM
Next time around (and I do hope there will be a next time) I would like to see all the couples compete on more equal terms

Couldn't have said it better myself - one of the most infuriating things about that programme (besides Brucie :angry: who I could have quite happily slapped on a number of occasions) was that they didn't make the competition fair!
How are couple supposed to be judged equally when they are given completely different dances to do?! Trying to make someone like Chris control a tango is about as cruel as making Lesley do a jive (which she absolutely murdered) so I suppose that was reasonable - but honestly it would have been much more of a fair contest if the couples had all been made to do the same dances, and to compete on the same floor.

Did anyone actually watch the original version of Come Dancing?

TheTramp
28th-June-2004, 02:23 PM
I'm not old enough :whistle:

Trampy

RobC
28th-June-2004, 03:32 PM
I'm not old enough :whistle:

Trampy
What, so that wasn't you in it wearing the pink blancmange ballgown then ? :eek:

Forte
28th-June-2004, 03:49 PM

couldn't agree more! Lesley was hopeless. It was her worst dance. But that white dress, red scarf as bull's blood at the end of Natasha and whatsits pasdo double thingummyjog was stunning. That man is awesome!!

latinlover
28th-June-2004, 04:50 PM
But that white dress, red scarf as bull's blood at the end of Natasha and whatsits pasdo double thingummyjog was stunning. !:yeah:
I'm hoping that once Natasha gets over the stage fright she can really start to smoulder in the latin stuff- that's the only thing that's missing for me. I know it's a bit nit-picky really , but wouldn't she be truly sensational with a bit of PASSION!!! But then there was that tango......:worthy: :drool:

Franck
28th-June-2004, 05:08 PM
I do think Hannah deserves praise for dragging that poor lad around week after week , and what about the cabaret she did???!!!:worthy: Really?
I watched it again just to be sure, and I thought that was one of the most 'pants' dance displays I've seen in a long time, hardly any dancing at all, loads of lifts (some of them they flunked completely), none of the control and grace I've seen David and Lily (for example) display, and the 'Ribbon' if that's the name of the move was done by several couples at the last Ceroc champs much better.

What it got me wondering is whether Chris (whatsisname from Eastenders) is as bad as that, or that simply he had the worst teacher of them all, she obviously doesn't expect her partners to move or be anything other than muscle-bound eyecandy :sad:

I wish we could drag him to a few Ceroc classes and I bet he would be a good dancer within a few weeks!

Dance Demon
28th-June-2004, 05:13 PM

Used to watch it all the time coz my dad loved it. there was always a lot of bias shown towards the tteams from London & the Home counties as far as i can remember. The last series was great with regular appearances by Donnie Burns & Gaynor Fairweather, whose latin routines had to be seen to be believed.
Oh.....and I don't mind admitting to being old enough to remember.......Trampy isn't old enough, he just looks it :wink: :D

TheTramp
28th-June-2004, 05:24 PM
Why is everyone picking on me today :tears: :tears:

:wink: :whistle:

Trampy

latinlover
28th-June-2004, 05:54 PM
Really?
IWhat it got me wondering is whether Chris (whatsisname from Eastenders) is as bad as that, or that simply he had the worst teacher of them all, she obviously doesn't expect her partners to move or be anything other than muscle-bound eyecandy :sad:

I wish we could drag him to a few Ceroc classes and I bet he would be a good dancer within a few weeks!
interesting point. I DID notice the lack of actual dancing,but as I can't do airsteps and don't get to many comps I was impressed, but I bow to your greater knowledge - possibly an example of how an uninitiated audience can be wowed with flashy stuff? -obviously didn't fool the pro's tho:worthy:

DavidY
28th-June-2004, 06:30 PM
I'd never thought of "Toxic" as a tango before Saturday. I think they've been quite creative in trying to use modern tunes for the traditional dances, rather than the rather dull traditional "strict tempo" tunes that are out there.

Franck
28th-June-2004, 07:09 PM
possibly an example of how an uninitiated audience can be wowed with flashy stuff? -obviously didn't fool the pro's tho:worthy:Not a pro when it comes to flashy aerials either, just my thoughts after watching last Saturday's episode as a spectator.
I was too impressed with the Paso Doble, beautiful, simple and inspired.

I couldn't believe how poor the waltz and the jive were though (again, not an expert in ballroom dances) the steps were huge, the moves limited and it looked very poor. I appreciate that the waltz was particularly slow which wouldn't have helped.

I agree with DavidY re. Toxic being used as a Tango...??? nice track, but tango?
I wonder if the BBC will release the live recordings from the series... I liked the faster version of 'My baby just cares for me'

Sparkles
29th-June-2004, 09:42 AM
I think the point of the cabaret that Hannah did has been missed - the whole point was that it was going to be a sequence for lifts and poses - it wasn't supposed to be a proper ballroom dance, it was a demonstration of some of the lifts you can do. Admittedly some of them weren't particularly well controlled, but in their defense they don't usually dance together and she was having to train an ape (Chris) at the same time as learning the cabaret routien. I think a little credit has to be given.

Forte
29th-June-2004, 10:55 AM
I'm hoping that once Natasha gets over the stage fright she can really start to smoulder in the latin stuff- that's the only thing that's missing for me. I know it's a bit nit-picky really , but wouldn't she be truly sensational with a bit of PASSION!!! But then there was that tango......:worthy: :drool:

I know. Did you see the passion Brendan put into the move across the floor on his knees. His chest was heaving...wow!

Rhythm King
29th-June-2004, 11:01 AM
I think the point of the cabaret that Hannah did has been missed - the whole point was that it was going to be a sequence for lifts and poses - it wasn't supposed to be a proper ballroom dance, it was a demonstration of some of the lifts you can do. Admittedly some of them weren't particularly well controlled, but in their defense they don't usually dance together and she was having to train an ape (Chris) at the same time as learning the cabaret routine. I think a little credit has to be given.
I feel that this was the sort of thing they should have been showing all along, to showcase proper partner dancing. Not necessarily traditional ballroom, or latin either. Still I suppose we have to be thankful for what we get.
Meanwhile can I encourage as many of you as possible to vote for Brendan and Natasha, between now and Saturday, so at least the comp is won by a dancer rather than by the person with the bigger fan base. After all, "it's for charridee mate" :wink:

foxylady
29th-June-2004, 11:15 AM
Meanwhile can I encourage as many of you as possible to vote for Brendan and Natasha, between now and Saturday, so at least the comp is won by a dancer rather than by the person with the bigger fan base.

Absolutely, and lets hope so.... Lets get voting....

Sheepman
29th-June-2004, 12:53 PM
I avoided reading this thread yesterday, as I hadn't seen the show. I sat down last night to watch my video, only to find that I'd set the timer wrong :whistle: so I only got the first 20 minutes of the programme. (Mrs Sheepy was NOT impressed).

So does anyone have a video of the show that I can borrow? Then I can make my own mind up on the cabaret (which one friend, an experienced dancer who is used to being held over her partners head, said was "fantastic"), and the paso doble.

Greg

Sparkles
29th-June-2004, 01:02 PM
I avoided reading this thread yesterday, as I hadn't seen the show. I sat down last night to watch my video, only to find that I'd set the timer wrong :whistle: so I only got the first 20 minutes of the programme. (Mrs Sheepy was NOT impressed).

So does anyone have a video of the show that I can borrow? Then I can make my own mind up on the cabaret (which one friend, an experienced dancer who is used to being held over her partners head, said was "fantastic"), and the paso doble.

Greg

I have it on tape - but the tape is in my other (he-hem) house, so I'll have to wait to get hold of it - if you don't find someone else you can borrow it from in the mean time I'll be happy to lend it to you - in exchange for a dance, of course! :wink:

RobC
29th-June-2004, 01:09 PM
I've just been sent an email saying that the Strictly Come Dancing cameras will be at Hipsters tonight to do some filming. :waycool:

See you down there.

latinlover
29th-June-2004, 01:23 PM
I've just been sent an email saying that the Strictly Come Dancing cameras will be at Hipsters tonight to do some filming. :waycool:

See you down there.:devil: not for me thanks, it'll be heaving and impossible to dance,
but I do hope the regulars there put up a good showing on behalf of us MJ'ers:clap:
and watch out for the editing - betcha they show something distinctly average compared with what we all know CAN be done!:angry:

Gordon J Pownall
29th-June-2004, 01:47 PM
:devil: but I do hope the regulars there put up a good showing on behalf of us MJ'ers:clap:
and watch out for the editing - betcha they show something distinctly average compared with what we all know CAN be done!:angry:

Let's just hope they don't take the p*ss as they did at the Ceroc Champs this year. Did anything ever come of the filming done in Hammersmith....?

Jayne
29th-June-2004, 01:52 PM
it'll be heaving and impossible to dance
It may not be heaving with the tube strike on....

Rachel
29th-June-2004, 01:59 PM

See you down there. That's a shame, I'd forgotten about that. It almost puts me off going, but I should be alright if I hide in my little corner, as usual!

So - what are they there for?
Rachel

RobC
29th-June-2004, 02:59 PM
Let's just hope they don't take the p*ss as they did at the Ceroc Champs this year. Did anything ever come of the filming done in Hammersmith....?
I've not seen anything of it yet.

Gordon J Pownall
29th-June-2004, 03:30 PM
I've not seen anything of it yet.

Me neither,.... :confused:

Rhythm King
29th-June-2004, 03:57 PM
I understand tonight's filming is for a SCD spin-off programme, "Dance Mates", where they have teamed up as couples people from around the country, who applied to the BBC website. The "date" for tonight's couple is a class at Hipsters. Am open to correction if this is not so. I've not seen anything of the Ceroc Champs filming either.

foxylady
29th-June-2004, 04:21 PM
I understand tonight's filming is for a SCD spin-off programme, "Dance Mates", where they have teamed up as couples people from around the country, who applied to the BBC website. The "date" for tonight's couple is a class at Hipsters. Am open to correction if this is not so. I've not seen anything of the Ceroc Champs filming either.

Thats what i heard too, but as I heard it as the same time as Rhythm King its not really much help

foxylady
29th-June-2004, 04:23 PM
I have it on tape - but the tape is in my other (he-hem) house, so I'll have to wait to get hold of it - if you don't find someone else you can borrow it from in the mean time I'll be happy to lend it to you - in exchange for a dance, of course! :wink:

Hold on a sec - that tape's for me to watch... now you're lending it to all'n'sundry - bah !!!!!

Rhythm King
29th-June-2004, 04:32 PM
Hold on a sec - that tape's for me to watch... now you're lending it to all'n'sundry - bah !!!!!

As she's offering it to Sheepman, shouldn't that be Baaaa! :rofl:

Sheepman
29th-June-2004, 04:41 PM
lending it to all'n'sundry - bah !!!!! I've been called a lot of things, but never "all'n'sundry" before! After you, please, Foxylady!

Greg :flower:

Rhythm King
29th-June-2004, 04:45 PM
Allan Sundry? Wasn't he DJ-ing at MJC on Friday night?? :grin:

Lindsay
1st-July-2004, 04:59 PM
Did anyone see the performance by 2 of the professionals this Saturday past (26th July), not sure of their names, but they did a routine with loads of aerials in it. It was totally awesome :worthy:

bigdjiver
1st-July-2004, 05:36 PM
It is not ballroom as I knew it, a point made repeatedly by the judges. I am wondering where these were imported from. Salsa? Swing? dare I say it, MJ?

Divissima
3rd-July-2004, 04:24 PM
I've just voted - my first time in the series.

Go Brendan and Natasha!! :clap:

Gareth
3rd-July-2004, 05:22 PM
Me too....voted twice in fact :really:

DavidY
3rd-July-2004, 05:31 PM
I've just voted - my first time in the series.

Go Brendan and Natasha!! :clap: :yeah: Just done the same.

Does this make me a bad person because I've voted without seeing their dancing tonight? :blush: :blush:

Lynn
3rd-July-2004, 06:50 PM
Does this make me a bad person because I've voted without seeing their dancing tonight? :blush: :blush: Well, if Chris really amazed you tonight with a turnaround in his dancing... you could always vote for him as well. :whistle:

DavidY
3rd-July-2004, 07:02 PM
Well, if Chris really amazed you tonight with a turnaround in his dancing... you could always vote for him as well. :whistle:Trouble is I'm going to get in my car to drive to Gus's event in Northwich in a few minutes. So I won't get to see his dancing tonight until I've arrived home again - by which time it will all be over.

Andy McGregor
3rd-July-2004, 08:21 PM
I think DavidY has made the right decision. Both in his voting and by going out dancing rather than staying in and watching:clap:

Me? I'm just going out dancing right now.

p.s. Voted for Brandan and Natasha 3 times, once after each round:waycool:

p.p.s. IMHO, Chris was greatly improved in the jive - but still not the best.

ChrisA
3rd-July-2004, 10:32 PM
Well, now that it's all over (fank gawd) I thought it would be rude not to publish this reply from the beeb in response to an email someone I know (not me) sent them complaining about the lack of relevance of dancing ability to the results during the, ahem, 'competition'.

Thank you for your e-mail regarding ‘Strictly Come Dancing’.
I understand you feel that Christopher Parker should not be in the competition and I also note you predict that Christopher will win next week. I would like to explain that ultimately ‘Strictly Come Dancing’ is not a professional dancing competition, it’s an interactive entertainment show for all the family, and viewers are clearly enjoying having their say about the outcome.
We do find that viewers’ opinions are an invaluable source of feedback for BBC programme makers. Styles and policies are continually being assessed and changed based on feedback from the general public. Please be assured that all of your comments and concerns are valued by us and have been carefully noted for the attention of the programme’s makers and senior BBC management.
Thank you once again for taking the time to contact the BBC with the strength of your views.

Andy McGregor
4th-July-2004, 02:23 AM
HOORAY FOR SANITY

DaveD
4th-July-2004, 11:31 AM
HOORAY FOR SANITY

Here's to that - maybe the judges remark about "did you vote for Brendan & Natasha" had some effect.

Dave D

Lynn
4th-July-2004, 03:30 PM
I never usually phone in on those 'viewers vote' things, but I did last night (for Brendan and Natasha of course!). Chris had improved, its great that he has been encouraging other young men to take up dancing and his staying in the competition to the final gave him the time to improve and show that those not naturally gifted can progress.

But I'm very glad Natasha and Brendan won.

Gareth
4th-July-2004, 07:08 PM
Well done Natasha and Brendan. :D

With common sense prevailing, do you think this will become a long running series?

Who should be included in the celebrity dance list?

Who should be avoided?

Should this years winners be able to compete next series?

What changes should there be made to the organisation?

Please discuss..................

Kay
5th-July-2004, 08:15 AM
I don't normally phone in to TV programmes either, but I have to confess to phoning in for Brendan and Natasha several times - had to make sure they won. Congratulations to Brendan and Natasha - they were a joy to watch :clap: :clap:

Gareth
5th-July-2004, 01:44 PM
In the paper today there is an article which claims next years celebrities would include Paul O`Grady (Lily Savage). Whether Paul will dance male or female was`nt stated :grin: Plus Zoe Lucker from Footballers wives.

I`m not sure that I would like to see Bruce back again. Ok, he improved as the show went on. But there was a distinct impression that he was being carried by Tess Daly. Why not bring in Justin lee Collins.

By the way who`s bright idea was it to let Bruce sing????? :sick:

RobC
5th-July-2004, 01:50 PM
Why not bring in Justin lee Collins.
Are you asking for a flaming ? :what:

Sheepman
5th-July-2004, 02:53 PM
I never usually phone in on those 'viewers vote' things, Me too, and I'm sure if we'd been at home I wouldn't have bothered, but we were at a SCD party, where everbody raised their glasses and pulled out their mobiles after Natasha's and Brendan's first dance and got dialling. OK, we should have waited till the end, but we didn't see anything to change our views.

Mrs Sheepy and I then left in a hurry to get to a dance, so we got the result by text message, a big cheer went up in the hall after we asked the DJ to announce the result.

After the initial shock of Chris going so far, it has to be a good thing if it encourages more people into dancing, and it did provide plenty of entertainment, with lots of :rofl:

Greg

Gareth
5th-July-2004, 09:11 PM
The other name being banded around (I`ve just remembered, I must be getting old :) ) was Martine McCutcheon!!!!!!

Trish
6th-July-2004, 04:36 PM
In the paper today there is an article which claims next years celebrities would include Paul O`Grady (Lily Savage). Whether Paul will dance male or female was`nt stated :grin: Plus Zoe Lucker from Footballers wives.

I`m not sure that I would like to see Bruce back again. Ok, he improved as the show went on. But there was a distinct impression that he was being carried by Tess Daly. Why not bring in Justin lee Collins.

By the way who`s bright idea was it to let Bruce sing????? :sick:
I was trying to remember (from when I was a very little girl!) who used to present "Come Dancing" and I think if I remember rightly it was Terry Wogan and Angela Rippon. Angela might be a bit serious, but I think Terry would be really good at presenting "Strictly Come Dancing" - just the right amount of sarcasm but also respect for the dancing. And also with any luck he wouldn't sing and dance!

As long as they don't get anyone as bad as Chris to learn to dance on the programme (with that big a fan base) anyone might be interesting really - I like the fact that even if you'd never heard of Christopher Parker, he's still quite a big celebrity (if you're into Eastenders that is) - rather than these so-called celebs on things like "Get me out of here".

I personally thought Justin Lee Collins was quite funny - better than Brucie anyway (who looked like he wasn't on this planet most of the time), although I guess I can understand why people get annoyed by him.

Rhythm King
6th-July-2004, 05:07 PM
I was trying to remember (from when I was a very little girl!) who used to present "Come Dancing" and I think if I remember rightly it was Terry Wogan and Angela Rippon. Angela might be a bit serious, but I think Terry would be really good at presenting "Strictly Come Dancing" - just the right amount of sarcasm but also respect for the dancing. And also with any luck he wouldn't sing and dance!

I personally thought Justin Lee Collins was quite funny - better than Brucie anyway (who looked like he wasn't on this planet most of the time), although I guess I can understand why people get annoyed by him.

I was in conversation at a Blues event on Saturday night, with someone had contact with people who had been in the audience. It was said that Brucie did a 45 minute warm up before the show started each week, and was lively and funny and totally with it. This all changed the moment the autocues went on. In his time Bruce has been a fabulous all round entertainer, song and dance man and respected jazz pianist, who was on the West End stage as well as early tv shows, such as The London Palladium. By the time he did the Generation Game, he was already getting on a bit. I only hope I'm as lively as he is when I'm 76, but I take your point.
The last presenter of Come Dancing was Rosemarie Ford, a trained dancer, who coincidentally was Bruce's co-host on The Generation Game.
I'm not sure El Tel isn't getting on a bit to give a new series a youthful and dynamic look. There must be plenty of up and coming, talented young presenters, who could do the show, the more so if they have a dance background. There are any number of defunct bands (Steps, S Club et al) with out of work "personalities" who could have a go at the job.
Given how much the show has raised for charity, and that ballroom dancing alone (never mind MJ and others) has increased by 50% over the last 3months, I think the show has been a great success. Even Chris Parker's Bambi on Ice dancing style has made ordinary blokes less hostile to the idea of partner dancing. As for improvements to the show's format, personally I'd like to shoot the directors and replace them with people who show what's actually going on, rather than pointless close ups of people's hands during dramatic lifts, or the back of scenery, or totally miss the action, as they did with Martin Offiah, on one occasion when they showed an out of focus shot of the floor behind him. It's not big and it's not clever.
Right, that should put the cat amongst the pigeons... :whistle:

Simon
6th-July-2004, 08:32 PM
I was in conversation at a Blues event on Saturday night, with someone had contact with people who had been in the audience. It was said that Brucie did a 45 minute warm up before the show started each week, and was lively and funny and totally with it. In his time Bruce has been a fabulous all round entertainer, song and dance man and respected jazz pianist, who was on the West End stage as well as early tv shows, such as The London Palladium. By the time he did the Generation Game, he was already getting on a bit. I only hope I'm as lively as he is when I'm 76

Brucie's credentials as an all-round entertainer are impeccable. He's outlasted (outlived! :whistle: ) all his peers.

personally I'd like to shoot the directors and replace them with people who show what's actually going on, rather than pointless close ups of people's hands during dramatic lifts, or the back of scenery, or totally miss the action, as they did with Martin Offiah, on one occasion when they showed an out of focus shot of the floor behind him. It's not big and it's not clever.
Right, that should put the cat amongst the pigeons... :whistle:

Agreed. :cheers: The direction appeared to get better as the competition went on e.g. less shots of the singers during the dancing! (Did anyone else notice the singers were frequently off-key? :sad: ). Interestingly, a lot of the camerawork was handheld on the dancefloor with 360 degree rotations following the dancers. Did this exaggerate or reflect the amount of movement around the dancefloor? Ballroom dancers do appear to cover a lot more floorspace than jivers. I find that even though my dancing "feels" very energetic when viewed from a static camera it looks quite motionless! :sad:

Trish
7th-July-2004, 02:44 PM
Yes, you're quite right - I have seen Brucie being very funny when he's not following an autocue! And you're probably right about Terry Wogan being too old as well! How about Rosemary Ford presenting it then - or better still Claire Sweeney?!

I was watching an old programme about Fred Astaire the other day, and apparently he insisted on full length shots rather than just shots of his feet/the scenery/out of tune singers (yes I noticed that too!) - I think the BBC should take notice of that - if it's good enough for Fred Astaire... perhaps I'll email them and suggest it!

spindr
4th-August-2004, 11:48 AM
Looks like Strictly Come Dancing might be back in the Autumn -- but without Justin Lee Colins -- see digital spy for details (http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/article/ds15247.html).

SpinDr.

Chicklet
4th-August-2004, 12:21 PM
I missed so much of this I would love to get a nice BBC vid anyone heard of word of such a thing or is is more likely to be kept back for the X-mas market maybe??

Gordon J Pownall
4th-August-2004, 03:04 PM
I missed so much of this I would love to get a nice BBC vid anyone heard of word of such a thing or is is more likely to be kept back for the X-mas market maybe??

I'd still like to know if any of hte filming at this years Ceroc champs was used and if so, how was Ceroc represented.....??????

....and yes - I missed loads too and if anyone knows of a vid - forum it up...... :clap:

RobC
4th-August-2004, 03:24 PM
I'd still like to know if any of hte filming at this years Ceroc champs was used and if so, how was Ceroc represented.....??????
Not that I'm aware of. And I never saw any sign of that DanceMate thing that was filmed at Hipsters either. :tears:

Gordon J Pownall
4th-August-2004, 03:25 PM
Not that I'm aware of. And I never saw any sign of that DanceMate thing that was filmed at Hipsters either. :tears:

Typical....they mess around with the Champs and nothing comes of it...... :angry:

Daisy Chain
4th-August-2004, 05:11 PM
Yes, you're quite right - And you're probably right about Terry Wogan being too old as well!

Terry old? Ooo, do you want a slap with my TOG sticker? :angry:

Daisy Chain