PDA

View Full Version : Old Polls

Stuart M
14th-May-2004, 01:11 PM
OK moderators, 'fess up. Who's been reactivating the old polls about handedness and the like?

I was thinking - there's a "sticky" facility which seems to let threads stay at the top of forum lists no matter how old they are. Maybe this could be used somehow to keep some polls prominent for newcomers?

DavidB
14th-May-2004, 01:26 PM
Or how about putting old polls into a separate forum, and taking off the update notification?

Gadget
14th-May-2004, 01:31 PM
:yeah: :yeah: :yeah: Not only that, but the way it's linked means that you get taken to the last message in that poll - wouldn't it be better if you were taken to the results instead?

There is a "expiry" option when you create a poll: couldn't this be used to keep it 'sticky' for Xdays beyond the last post?

The only alternative I can think on is to get the system to post a "Voted" post when anyone votes on the poll - but then it's no-longer annonimous {whatever} if you have or have not voted on the poll: your actual vote would still be a mystery, but you could see who voted. (You could then edit this generated post to add your own text.)

Or you could manually post a message when you vote on a poll - even if it's just saying "yup, I agree" or "no, I don't". At least it would look fresher than two-year-old thread. {and re-dating the last post is cheating anyway!}

{edit}This forum is powered by version 2.3.4 and the latest is 3.0.1... wonder what the changes are?{/edit}

DavidY
14th-May-2004, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by Stuart M
OK moderators, 'fess up. Who's been reactivating the old polls about handedness and the like?
Originally posted by Boomer
The Fiend!
The culprit! (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&postid=62640#post62640) I think, as Boomer points out, the moderators have already 'fessed up... :whistle: