PDA

View Full Version : Hammersmith

dee
12th-May-2004, 01:11 PM
Ok So who is going to Hammersmith this saturday? everyone i have danced with is not going, would like to know if i will be the only one :flower:

Lounge Lizard
12th-May-2004, 02:56 PM
fraid so:wink:

stewart38
13th-May-2004, 01:06 PM
Ill be at Southport but I do know of at least one girl going

:wink:

RobC
13th-May-2004, 01:55 PM
Not sure yet. Was kinda waiting to see who else might be going.... :whistle:

dee
13th-May-2004, 02:57 PM
Well im not going now due to, i wont know anyone, sisters not either so it looks like a night in with a dvd for me:sick: was looking forward to it as well, didnt realize so many other things were on this weekend :tears:

TheTramp
13th-May-2004, 03:14 PM
Ummm. I imagine that Hammersmith will be pretty full, with mostly the same people as are normally there.

There will be 800+ people at Southport, I imagine the majority will be from the North, Midlands and Scotland areas. I don't think that there will be a huge amount of people who would be likely to be at Hammersmith coming up to Southport.

Alternately, you could come to Southport yourself :D

Trampy

ChrisA
13th-May-2004, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by TheTramp
Ummm. I imagine that Hammersmith will be pretty full, with mostly the same people as are normally there.
It was the last time I went, a month or two back. I went along for no other reason but to meet someone that was going... and it would have been a big disappointment had she not been there.

I can't see the appeal any more... personally I don't like the music much; for my taste it's far too thump, thump pop for too much of the time, and it's far too busy for comfort. And all the inconsiderate muppets seem to congregate there for the sole purpose of injuring me.

:tears:

IMHO, there are much better freestyle nights for less money and only a tiny bit more travelling.

Chris

Minnie M
13th-May-2004, 04:01 PM

There will be 800+ people at Southport, I imagine the majority will be from the North, Midlands and Scotland areas. I don't think that there will be a huge amount of people who would be likely to be at Hammersmith coming up to Southport.

Trampy

and what about the 300 in Torquay AND those on the Dance & Sail :nice: - I am sure there will still be lots there but there may not be many good dancers :wink:

stewart38
13th-May-2004, 04:12 PM

Trampy

Im a Hammersmither but off to Southport. However even when there are other close events on Hammersmith nos stay up

Another venue that has gone down hill

ChrisA
13th-May-2004, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by stewart38
Another venue that has gone down hill Has it though? I don't see it as very different from the way it was 5 years ago, myself.

I wonder if actually our tastes have changed.

I mean, time was, I could have happily danced to DTNA, Brown Eyed Girl, and many other "thump thump thumpers" that drive me screaming from the floor nowadays.

Chris

Franck
13th-May-2004, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by ChrisA
I mean, time was, I could have happily danced to DTNA, Brown Eyed Girl, and many other "thump thump thumpers" that drive me screaming from the floor nowadays. Really Chris?

Have you become that selective in what / who you will dance to / with? That would be a shame, some of the most fun dances I have had recently have been to Brown eyed girl, the Shoop shoop song, raining men and even Dance the night away, and with Beginners to boot...
During my last few visits to Hammersmith, I haven't found any of those 'dangerous' beginners and I danced with loads of unknown people, only a few 'advanced' drop / aerial merchants, but those are everywhere :sad:

Having said that, despite a very painful shin, I had an incredible dance to f*** it by Eamon (the non-censored version) on Tuesday in Glasgow's Jumpin' Jaks... :D Being the DJ has its advantages, and we got to finish the night later than usual.

TheTramp
13th-May-2004, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by Franck
some of the most fun dances I have had recently have been to ~snip~ and even Dance the night away Wash your mouth out!!! :angry: :angry:

Trampy

ChrisA
13th-May-2004, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by Franck
Really Chris?

Have you become that selective in what / who you will dance to / with?

Well, metaphorically screaming from the floor... :D

I like Brown Eyed Girl really, it's far superior to DTNA, since it does have some colour in it ... and providing you promise not to tell the Tramp I don't mind dancing to DTNA once in a while.

I've become a bit selective over "with", though, in recent months...

... since though it pains me to say it, I have found that if I restrict myself more than I normally would, my knee injury is much less troublesome.

Bottom line: lots of ladies do unfortunately use the guy as a way of maintaining their own balance (for instance pulling down quite hard in a turn). And I've found that the more of the ones that yank me about I dance with, the more my knee hurts. I expect it's because I have to spend a lot more effort keeping my own balance, which stresses my knees.

And as I said on another thread, 800mg of ibuprofen just to get through a night is sadly too high a price to pay for being nice all the time.

Chris

spindr
13th-May-2004, 05:58 PM
Bottom line: lots of ladies do unfortunately use the guy as a way of maintaining their own balance (for instance pulling down quite hard in a turn).

Interesting. Comment at a workshop a couple of weeks ago was that the main difference between beginners/improvers and advanced dancers on the (crowded) social dance floor was much less about steps, and much more about keeping their balance. Maybe the occasional balance exercise might be an idea for the warmups?

SpinDr

foxylady
14th-May-2004, 12:19 AM
Well, metaphorically screaming from the floor... :D

I like Brown Eyed Girl really, it's far superior to DTNA, since it does have some colour in it ... and providing you promise not to tell the Tramp I don't mind dancing to DTNA once in a while.

I've become a bit selective over "with", though, in recent months...

... ..snip......
Chris

Does that mean you will or will not be at Hammersmith......
Believe it or not knowing whether or not you will be there makes a difference.. (now don't get all coy on me...) :kiss:

ChrisA
14th-May-2004, 09:16 AM
Originally posted by foxylady
Does that mean you will or will not be at Hammersmith......
Fraid not... seeing some muggles on Saturday night :what: :really:

Chris

PS :hug:

Pammy
17th-May-2004, 11:56 AM
I was there, in my Pammy top, but nobody said hello :blush:

ChrisA
17th-May-2004, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by Pammy
I was there, in my Pammy top, but nobody said hello :blush: And how was it? Apart from missing you and Foxy, anyway?

Chris

foxylady
17th-May-2004, 02:33 PM
I was there, in my Pammy top, but nobody said hello :blush:

Sorry Pammy did see you but didn't say hello. Was Dee there ? If so which one was she, and who was the girl you were with ??

Had some delicious :drool: dances, mostly with people I haven't danced with before... Not many familiar faces there, was everyone in southport ?...

Missed ChrisA dreadfully of course, but as I'm not an official wife I ought to keep my adoration under my hat....

Pammy
17th-May-2004, 03:05 PM
Sorry Pammy did see you but didn't say hello. Was Dee there ? If so which one was she, and who was the girl you were with ??

Missed ChrisA dreadfully of course, but as I'm not an official wife I ought to keep my adoration under my hat....

Ahh, I don't know who you are though :tears: or I'd have sought you out. The girl I was with was wife number 3 :grin: He's a boy isn't he???!!! :grin:

stewart38
17th-May-2004, 05:43 PM
Has it though? I don't see it as very different from the way it was 5 years ago, myself.

I wonder if actually our tastes have changed.

Chris

Could start another thred on this

It really hasnt changed maybe I have ? Apart from the warm up getting harder over the yrs, im going way back over 5yrs

dee
17th-May-2004, 11:31 PM
Sorry Pammy did see you but didn't say hello. Was Dee there ?

I wasnt there, love to meet everyone from this forum, would be so nice to put faces to the names. Shame i want there pammy would love to meet you, maybe next time :cheers:

Pammy
18th-May-2004, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by dee
I wasnt there, love to meet everyone from this forum, would be so nice to put faces to the names. Shame i want there pammy would love to meet you, maybe next time :cheers:

I did wear my top hoping you'd come and say hello. Hadn't decided to go til Saturday and had no access to the forum so couldn't tell you I was going :tears:

As for meeting up with other forum members, even when you wear your "named" top, there are still forumites that'll ignore you. Don't worry though, I'm not one :flower:

See you soon I hope - Dr Iain said he'd be up for a chip run afterwards (an excellent way to get chatting to and meeting different people), so come along to that if you fancy it :hug:

foxylady
18th-May-2004, 07:06 PM

As for meeting up with other forum members, even when you wear your "named" top, there are still forumites that'll ignore you.

:blush:

Barry Shnikov
18th-May-2004, 08:51 PM
personally I don't like the music much; for my taste it's far too thump, thump pop for too much of the time

That seems to be true pretty much all over, with one or two exceptions. The tragedy is that there's so much stuff which is much better suited to MJ but for some reason DJs seem determined not to play it.

BTW I'm happy to dance to anything that has flair - and DTNA and Brown-eyed girl both have that. Any music you listen to - or dance to - too much will get on your wick in the end...