PDA

View Full Version : Dance Related Compliments...

Pages : [1] 2

Jayne
30th-April-2004, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by Sheepman
I considered starting a thread on compliments, the best thing you've been told, or told someone else (about your dancing.) Then I thought, "no, I can't do that, too egotistical, self flagellation, and all that."
I can't remember if we've actually discussed this before or whether I've just thought about it... Anyhow, I thought I'd start it for you Sheepy.

The most bizarre comment I've received from a man who will remain nameless was that dancing with me was like "a well oiled machine". :what:

I kinda see where he's coming from - but I'd rather not be described as a well oiled machine!!!

Anyone overheard any bizarre or interesting comments about your own dancing or someone else's (without naming the sender or the recipient)?

Do share!

J :nice:

P.S. play nicely - no bad/nasty comments please! (and no luvvies either please...) ta :flower:

RobC
30th-April-2004, 01:46 PM
The best compliment I have had was from a spectator (or may be fellow competitor ?) at the LeJive '97 competition when I won the dance with a stranger:

I can't believe that you two have never danced together before - you look so natural.

foxylady
30th-April-2004, 01:52 PM
I was once told by someone that I was a very intuitive dancer, and that I seemed to know what he was going to do before he even did it (or knew that he was going to do it) ...
As this chap is a fantasic dancer, has his own personal style, is a teacher, successful competitor etc I was extremely flattered...

Only on reflection did it occur to me that perhaps he meant I back led !

or perhaps it is that I possess that skill, solely reserved for women, which is to lead so subtlely that the man thinks that he is the one in control.....:whistle:

Divissima
30th-April-2004, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by Foxylady:
or perhaps it is that I possess that skill, solely reserved for women, which is to lead so subtlely that the man thinks that he is the one in control.....Foxy, do you give private lessons?? :wink: You'd make a fortune :waycool:

Dreadful Scathe
30th-April-2004, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by Jayne
- but I'd rather not be described as a well oiled

Jayne.... well oiled...Im away to lie down :)

bigdjiver
30th-April-2004, 02:42 PM
"Dancing with you is like dancing with a funfair"

"Will you dance with me"

stewart38
30th-April-2004, 03:05 PM
I was asked after dancing with a particulary attractive lady

"would I marry her ?"

I enquired why and she said her husband was a poor dancer

:confused:

Gadget
30th-April-2004, 03:07 PM
bizzare...well I have been given the following comments: "you're easy to dance with", "you must be busy tonight", "thank you for dancing with me", "someone who knows what they are doing", "I like your style", "someone with style", "you know you're good", "show-off", ... erm... I think they start to go even more down-hill from there.:what::sick:

But the best compliment is when I get asked to dance. Second is when a lady takes my offered hand. Everything else is just a little bit of sugar sprinkled on top.

{Of course, there are also the little squeaks and 'woo's that make me grin even more...:D:D}

Bardsey
30th-April-2004, 03:18 PM
Best one I had was from a guy who's friend, considered a very good dancer, who I had just danced with, had told him to dance with me cos he said it didn't matter what move he did, I always followed as if I knew which move was coming next. Needless to say, I danced about a foot off the ground the rest of the night (and the poor guy who told me this probably wished he hadn't asked a levitator to dance :rofl: )

Sheepman
30th-April-2004, 05:55 PM
Well thank you Jayne for starting this one, I did get some justification today for starting it without narcissism, because I was told a comment that a friend made about another dancer, "Her legs, . . . the way she moves, . . . like those French horses, what are they called? Lippizaner"
Yes this was meant as a compliment from somebody who was just in awe! (And I know they're Spanish horses).

Now I wonder if the (forumite) person in question can be recognised from this, or recognise herself? What makes it more complimentary in my mind, is that this comment was repeated a couple of months after seeing this person dance, so it had to be considered, not just an emotional response.

Greg

PS Why no luvvies, aren't we all?

Minnie M
30th-April-2004, 06:24 PM
I was once told that dancing with me (he was a beginner BTW) was like driving a Rolls Royce :whistle:

fruitcake
30th-April-2004, 08:23 PM

Anyone overheard any bizarre or interesting comments about your own dancing or someone else's (without naming the sender or the recipient)?

I had a lovely comment from avery (very) attractive man, he said I ws a joy to dance with.
He said the same thing in an equally sincere manner to my friend./
And to my other friend.
Hmmph!
Fruitcake

Lounge Lizard
30th-April-2004, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by Minnie M
I was once told that dancing with me (he was a beginner BTW) was like driving a Rolls Royce :whistle: been around for years and well oiled:rofl: :rofl:
sorry minnie

Lounge Lizard
30th-April-2004, 08:41 PM
My best compliment was after a blues room set at Rebel Yell I was told by one of the ladies 'God put you on this earth to play music for me to dance to' :blush:

Missy D
30th-April-2004, 09:05 PM
Not sure if i should have taken this as a compliment or not. A man i didnt know came up to me at the end of a dance evening and said "my wife and I have been watching you" (i was expecting him them to maybe comment on my dancing or something i was wearing) but, oh no! they wanted a threesome with me (and he wasnt meaning double trouble either). I laughed but, he said "dont give me an answer now, have a little think about it.

And no i didnt take up the offer!:what:

Daisy Chain
30th-April-2004, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by stewart38
I was asked after dancing with a particulary attractive lady

"would I marry her ?"

I occasionally have a business trip which allows me dance at the fabulous Marcus Garvey (so many amazing men). On my first visit, I had a lovely dance with one man and at the end he said just 2 words......."Marry me!"

I was exceptionally flattered and was still grinning madly several days later. Sadly, I've been back and have not had any sort of proposal (decent or indecent).

Mortifyingly, I wouldn't know him from Adam if I danced with him again but like to think that he doesn't say that to every strange woman...

:kiss:

Daisy

Dreadful Scathe
30th-April-2004, 11:31 PM
Originally posted by Daisy Chain
Mortifyingly, I wouldn't know him from Adam if I danced with him again but like to think that he doesn't say that to every strange woman...

He looks like Adam ? maybe he WAS Adam ? Oooh not a very subtle way to start a rumour is it...tsh ;)

Andy McGregor
1st-May-2004, 08:57 AM
On Thursday night at MoJive in Horndean (near Portsmouth) I had 3 women and a guy tell me that I was the best woman there:blush:

Sometimes people are just too kind:sick:

Lory
1st-May-2004, 10:01 AM
I was recently told (by a lovely young man) that dancing with me, was like playing with a playstation:really: lot's of fun but he'd need hours of practice to master me!:blush: :rofl:

Was that a compliment??:confused:

TheTramp
1st-May-2004, 11:11 AM
A couple of people have told me recently that I may be ready to move up to the "improvers".

But I'm not so sure....

Trampy

Heather
1st-May-2004, 11:57 AM
I was once told that dancing with me (he was a beginner BTW) was like driving a Rolls Royce :whistle:

:wink: :wink: I LIKE it!!!!

:hug:
Heather,
XX

Heather
1st-May-2004, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by TheTramp
A couple of people have told me recently that I may be ready to move up to the "improvers".

But I'm not so sure....

Trampy

Obviously you've improved a lot because you moved up here to DUNDEE (Centre of the dancing universe !!!!!)
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Heather,
X

Lynn
1st-May-2004, 12:10 PM
Its always a compliment to be asked to dance!

If I am dancing with a very good dancer and they give me a compliment I usually take it as them trying be 'encouraging' rather than as a 'compliment'.

Once had been to a different venue and danced with complete strangers, about an hour later walking past one of the guys I had danced with (on the way to the car), he said something nice about my dancing. Not sure if he was trying to be encouraging, or what, but it made me smile! :nice:

Andy McGregor
1st-May-2004, 01:13 PM

Other dancers are soooo kind but sometimes we shouldn't take these compliments too seriously.

I've assessed the Tramp's dancing and it's pretty much unchanged so he must still be 'just a beginner':waycool:

Simon
1st-May-2004, 01:37 PM
To all the chaps in Bristol, Janice told me last night that I was her "Number 1". :waycool:

Sorry Guys, but now that I've made it to the top spot, I don't intend to relinquish it easily. :wink:

Gary
2nd-May-2004, 05:35 AM
My favourite compliment was from a girl who told me that my dancing was very "centred". It's my favourite because at the time I had no idea what that meant! (I now have some fuzzy idea that it's something do with being well balanced).

Was dancing with my girlfriend Friday night and overheard someone who was sitting and watching describe her as "Ginger Rogers reincarnated" (the person watching was an older gent) (Siobh will hate that I've posted this :devil: )

Minnie M
2nd-May-2004, 08:03 AM
Dancing last night at Peter's aka LL's event (which BTW was great) I asked a beginner who thought he was Trampy rebourne to dance (ie: a great and expressive dancer) - after the dance he said "Thank you sweatheart, you did well" grrrrrrrrrrrrr :angry:

DangerousCurves
2nd-May-2004, 12:42 PM
- after the dance he said "Thank you sweatheart, you did well" grrrrrrrrrrrrr :angry:

Never mind Miss Mousie! :hug:

I had a similar moment at Camber when a gentleman told me my dancing had improved.... I felt quite complimented ....till he added "in the last couple of weeks". Sadly I knew my dancing had not undergone any radical regeneration in that time, so was at a loss. Then I remembered I had danced with him at Hipsters about a fortnight earlier. I had arrived after the advanced class, but he decided to lead me through it - leading to mutual woe and incomprehension. Now we were freestyling his usual moves and I could follow him, so the only possible explanation was that my skills had improved...

Ah, Minnie, the male ego can be a fragile and delicate blossom :wink:

DavidY
3rd-May-2004, 07:22 AM
Originally posted by Gadget
But the best compliment is when I get asked to dance. I thought :yeah: until I saw this...
Originally posted by bigdjiver on another thread
Sometines, at an unfamiliar venue, I will ask the most miserable looking lady there to dance ...do women do this too?:eek: :tears:

Zebra Woman
3rd-May-2004, 11:29 AM
"Thank you sweatheart, you did well"
About 6 months ago Mike Ellard visited Kempston, he was discretely standing at the back of the room. A woman who knew who he was directed a friend of mine (who didn't) to ask him for a dance. At the end of the dance she said something similar to the above. Boy did we laugh....:D :D

My best compliment is when man rushes over saying, 'This is my favourite song, please will you dance with me'. Although sometimes they rush past me to someone else...that's life:sad:

filthycute
3rd-May-2004, 01:41 PM
"Thank you sweatheart, you did well"

This happened to me very recently at a class. I asked a beginner to dance who then decided to practise the evenings intermediate lesson.....over and over........that was all fine, here's me thinking i'm helping him out a wee bit. But there was one bit he just couldn't get. After several attempts (and my firm lead clearly not working) the track ended and he promptly thanked me for the dance and pointed me in the direction of the taxi dancer......"if you ask him he'll help you with the move":rofl: :rofl:

As for compliments........erm.....can't think of any to be honest. Just the usual "that was a lovely dance" etc.
Me and James tend to get most of our compliments as a couple. The best one had to be......."that was the best display of intermediate dancing i've ever seen". I was in the clouds for days :D:D:D:flower:

Oh yeah, and someone did threaten to "batter" the judges if we didn't win in Blackpool. That was nice :flower:
:rofl:

filthycute x x

Sheepman
3rd-May-2004, 03:59 PM
An amusing one from several months ago. A friend who is a great dancer and Jive Masters finalists competitor, was asked to dance by a teacher, also a Jive Masters competitor at the same event. He didn't know who she was. At the end of the dance, with a look of surprise on his face, he said "You're not a bad dancer are you?" :rofl:

One of my nicest compliments came from that same friend recently, we hadn't danced for nearly a couple of months, she said to me "I was dancing with xxxx, and I was thinking, "I really miss dancing with Greg"" (xxxx is a good dancer I hasten to add!)

The one that made me nearly start this thread, but I couldn't because it was too narcissistic, was a few weeks ago. We'd danced to a funky track on the Saturday night, when I was far from my best, then on the following Tuesday, a friend said to me "When I dance with you, I can hear the music the way you do."
I took it as a matter of fact at the time, but on reflection, I think it was one of the nicest compliments anyone has made :flower:
(Of course looked at another way, it could also be an insult!)

Greg

under par
10th-May-2004, 09:39 AM
[B
But the best compliment is when I get asked to dance.
} [/B]

Here here!!

I have to agree with Gadget I feel like a million dollars everytime I get asked to dance:cheers: :yeah:

TheTramp
10th-May-2004, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by under par
Here here!!

I have to agree with Gadget I feel like a million dollars everytime I get asked to dance:cheers: :yeah: Where, where??

I'll make sure I ask you in Southport then!! :na:

Trampy

under par
10th-May-2004, 09:55 AM
Where, where??

I'll make sure I ask you in Southport then!! :na:

Trampy

There there !!

( Noted !!:blush:) )

I didn't know you cared

:wink:

I'm gonna feel like a lottery winner at Southport!

:cheers:

But will it be a £1 scratchcard??:rofl: :whistle:

jezza
10th-May-2004, 01:15 PM

But the best compliment is when I get asked to dance. Second is when a lady takes my offered hand. Everything else is just a little bit of sugar sprinkled on top.

The best compliment is when your partner carries on dancing
after the first dance, you must be doing something right. :kiss:

Sheepman
10th-May-2004, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by jezza
The best compliment is when your partner carries on dancing after the first dance and when it's 12 in a row, then it feels like a serious compliment! Especially when you only have enough moves to fill 3 dances! :sad:

:flower:

Greg

Dreadful Scathe
10th-May-2004, 02:30 PM
Got a good compliment once. Was dancing next to an excellent dancer but it was a particularly good song and i had a great partner. After it was over a girl ran up to ask me to dance and said "your brilliant" looking round I said "but he's better" she replied '"thats a matter of opinion". cool :)

Zebra Woman
10th-May-2004, 02:48 PM
and when it's 12 in a row, then it feels like a serious compliment! Especially when you only have enough moves to fill 3 dances! :sad:
Greg
Yep I think I have paid you that compliment :worthy: .There was absolutely no shortage of moves. Anyway I like repetition 'cos then I get to have another go. Enjoy Torquay, don't forget the duracells.:innocent:
Alison:flower:

Sheepman
10th-May-2004, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by Zebra Woman
then I get to have another go. :hug: most of the time I have to keep on trying until I can get it right! Luckily I hardly ever do (get it right, that is)!

Greg

White Knuckle Ride
11th-May-2004, 09:15 AM

Anyone overheard any bizarre or interesting comments

Once heard 'er on the other end say, "ooh, it's just like jive innit?" (?) :whistle:

Zuhal
11th-May-2004, 09:29 AM
After trying very hard to musically interpret a track I was told by my partner, with a big smile --
"well that was very -er -er THEATRICAL" to which I could apparently, append my own ending

Disaster
Triumph
flop
sellout
:cool:

Bill
11th-May-2004, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by fruitcake
I had a lovely comment from avery (very) attractive man, he said I ws a joy to dance with.
He said the same thing in an equally sincere manner to my friend./
And to my other friend.
Hmmph!
Fruitcake

but maybe all three of you were a joy to dance with..... :D :wink:

One of the nicest thing I've ever been told was last week when someone said that I 'dance from the heart'. Which is a very nice way of actually saying your style and technique are crap but you 'feel' the music. :sick: :rolleyes:

Gadget
11th-May-2004, 12:20 PM
That reminds me - I got a comment a while ago; "have you done drama classes?" :rolleyes:

One question: how do you compliment your partner after a dance? I am guilty of just saying "thank you" and finding another partner - I am sincere in my thanks, I appreciate every movement within the dance, I smile and enjoy it through-out, what do I need to add when the music has ended? "very nice, thank you", "lovely, thank you", ... anything other than a simple "thank you" seems to make it patronising or insincere. {or it does from my end :tears:}

ChrisA
11th-May-2004, 12:23 PM
One question: how do you compliment your partner after a dance? I am guilty of just saying "thank you" and finding another partner - I am sincere in my thanks, I appreciate every movement within the dance, I smile and enjoy it through-out, what do I need to add when the music has ended? "very nice, thank you", "lovely, thank you", ... anything other than a simple "thank you" seems to make it patronising or insincere. {or it does from my end :tears:}

What is it with people?

How do you smile?
How do you pay someone a compliment?

These things are not formulae, to be done by rote.

If it's not real, it's bullshit. I suppose beginners in overload can be excused for asking such questions, but otherwise.... gahhhhh.

Bullshitters drive me crazy.

Bahhhhhhh :angry:

spindr
11th-May-2004, 12:39 PM
One question: how do you compliment your partner after a dance?

Howsabout: "Can we have another dance later, perhaps?"

SpinDr.

Hmmm, for an all-purpose sincere compliment: "I've never seen anyone dance like that before." :)

Bill
11th-May-2004, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by spindr

Hmmm, for an all-purpose sincere compliment: "I've never seen anyone dance like that before." :)

Would that always be a compliment :confused: perhaps depends on where the stress comes in the sentence :D

Sheepman
11th-May-2004, 12:47 PM
anything other than a simple "thank you" seems to make it patronising or insincere. So if you don't feel it, don't say it! I'm hopeless at being specific about any compliments I give. it usually comes down to something like "that was lovely" "wonderful", "brilliant", "fantastic" or, (very rarely) "amazing" but they are always meant. Often I might be lost for words, especially if I've been on the receiving end, e.g. after we'd had a couple of dances, a dance goddess said to me "Ooh Greg, that was so perfect!" I was struck dumb, though I was walking about 2 feet off the floor for the rest of the night!
(And wild horses (or Lippizaners?) won't drag the identity of that dancer from me!)

Greg

Gadget
11th-May-2004, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by ChrisA
What is it with people?
perhaps my wording is wrong...
Personally, I may say complementary things about people, but the words are not intended as a complement - just an honest opinion regarding their dancing.
I seek enjoyment and pleasure from dancing and I seek to give it through dancing: not through verbal pleasantries.

I think that complements said for just saying something nice at the end of a dance are a bit meaningless - I am dancing with you; for three minutes we have a connection. I hope that my enjoyment comes through that connection as much as I feel my partner’s. What needs to be said other than “thank you”? :waycool:

I've never seen anyone dance like that before!
that's a compliment?!? :confused: {:wink:}

Sheepman
11th-May-2004, 01:15 PM
- just an honest opinion regarding their dancing. I think we need to go back to the dictionary here.

Compliment - 1) a remark or act expressing respect, admiration, etc.
2) to express or show respect or regard for, especially by a gift.

So in my book, if you don't mean it, it's NOT a compliment!

Greg

Dreadful Scathe
11th-May-2004, 01:18 PM

I've never seen anyone dance like that before!

that's a compliment?!? :confused: {:wink:}

Course it is. Ive been on the receiving end of that and 'no one else dances like you' before and i always take it as a compliment, i dont want to be the same as someone else :)

Gadget
11th-May-2004, 02:03 PM
So in my book, if you don't mean it, it's NOT a compliment!
:confused: Did I say that I didn't mean anything I said? My (original) question was prompted by all the complements flying about - Are my partners thinking that I am not appreciative of them by my short "thank you"? My follow-up's were an attempt to justify myself :blush:

Originally posted by Dreadful Scathe
... i dont want to be the same as someone else :)
So why do we keep giving our money to Franck for then? :devil: OK I don't want to dance like everyone else, but there are definitely a few folk I would like to be able to dance like :flower:

Dreadful Scathe
11th-May-2004, 02:09 PM

So why do we keep giving our money to Franck for then? :devil: OK I don't want to dance like everyone else, but there are definitely a few folk I would like to be able to dance like :flower:

You want to dance more like them or be as good as them, but you dont want to be them - surely you want to remain an individual but be the best dancer you can be ? There something unique about everyone, that should be brought out in their dancing too!

You learn how to dance at Ceroc but you dont learn to dance. Is that obscure enough for you ? :)

JamesGeary
11th-May-2004, 02:10 PM
"What sort of dancing are you doing?" - I have gotten that line every 6 months for my entire dancing career.

Now I just say "Zouk" then lead 4 drops.

Dreadful Scathe
11th-May-2004, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by JamesGeary
"What sort of dancing are you doing?" - I have gotten that line every 6 months for my entire dancing career.

Now I just say "Zouk" then lead 4 drops.

:D Brilliant :D

Gadget
11th-May-2004, 03:08 PM
You want to dance more like them or be as good as them, but you dont want to be them...
nope: I just warp various moves and tallents from various dancers so I can dance better. Only pick and choose the best bit's of course - sort of a Frankenstein's Dancer. (...actually, that's not a bad mental image of my dancing...:tears: )

You learn how to dance at Ceroc but you dont learn to dance. Is that obscure enough for you ? :) naaa, don't be silly, we can surley muddy the watters even more :cool:
You learn how to dance to music at Ceroc; but not how to dance, how to dance to the music, or how to listen to the music while dancing to it. ;)

Oooh, can I learn "Zouk"? it sounds cool :wink:

Dreadful Scathe
11th-May-2004, 03:21 PM
Oooh, can I learn "Zouk"? it sounds cool :wink:

:) Ceroc has never taught me how to 'Zouk' either. :(

Now theres a word to put in a t-shirt - ZOUK :)

Bill
11th-May-2004, 05:12 PM
:)

Now theres a word to put in a t-shirt - ZOUK :)

shouldn't it be ' put ON a t-shirt' :rolleyes: Arms and chest are what you put in a t-shirt ( and of course out the appropriate holes !!) so I suppose the chest and abdomen are really 'in' the t-shirt.

Or perhaps little blue smurfs are different :whistle:

Dreadful Scathe
11th-May-2004, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by Bill
shouldn't it be ' put ON a t-shirt' :rolleyes: Arms and chest are what you put in a t-shirt ( and of course out the appropriate holes !!) so I suppose the chest and abdomen are really 'in' the t-shirt.

Got a better idea for a t-shirt. 'I'm with this pedant'...and make sure Im standing next to you :)

I is right next to O on the keyboard look..LOOK :)

Gadget
11th-May-2004, 05:36 PM
I is right next to O on the keyboard look..LOOK :)
Shouldn't that be 'LIIK' ? ;)

Talking of T-shirts, just visited www.tshirthell.com again - seriously considering getting a couple for certain individuals I know. :innocent:

philsmove
11th-May-2004, 05:39 PM
I think one of the sincerest ways to compliment someone is to post it the local forum

Gadget
4th-October-2004, 12:58 PM
I got a comment at the BFG that made me hunt out this thread again:
"What are you dancing? It's not Ceroc - I haven't done any of these moves before!"
I was confused because she was following so well - she did say that it was a good thing, but still...

There were a few other nice comments (:blush: thank you :flower: ) but this one stuck in my mind.

DianaS
4th-October-2004, 03:00 PM
Nicest compliment

I asked a guy to dance from Wellingborough I don't dance there and it was one of the first in the evening (So he hadn't seen me dance)
He just looked at me and said
'Like, Yea!'

Another a guy said "do you know what I really like about dancing with you"
I said "no" thinking he was about to say the way you come out of my drops into a spin or something we'd danced three times in a row, and he'd really tested me..
he paused and said
"I can feel the skin on your legs and its really nice!"

We were at beach boogie and wearing shorts ! :rofl: :rofl:

DianaS
4th-October-2004, 03:07 PM
Nicest thing I've ever said to a guy is
"When I dance with you everything else disappears" (to explain why I span into someone twice
Its true, nothing else existw when we dance and I wish every one else would go away

Gadget
11th-February-2005, 10:42 PM
Just while I'm resurrecting old threads, I want to say a humble thank you for all the compliments from last w/end's BB - it attributed so much to my weekend that I'm still on a high from it. :D

MartinHarper
18th-February-2005, 12:44 AM
I was dancing tonight, had two dances in a row with one of my favourite dancers, who was on fantastic form, and really going for it. So, the track ends, and I give (slightly stunned) thanks and walk off to get a drink. One of the taxis rushes over to my former partner, face aglow with excitement, and exclaims to her: "Wow! That was amazing!".

I think I was dancing a couple inches off the ground for the rest of the night.

ChrisA
18th-February-2005, 09:57 AM
One of the taxis rushes over to my former partner, face aglow with excitement, and exclaims to her: "Wow! That was amazing!".

Did you establish what he was referring to?

:innocent: :innocent: :whistle: :whistle: :wink:

Cruella
18th-February-2005, 06:18 PM
[QUOTE=Sheepman]So if you don't feel it, don't say it! I'm hopeless at being specific about any compliments I give. it usually comes down to something like "that was lovely" "wonderful", "brilliant", "fantastic" or, (very rarely) "amazing" but they are always meant.

Don't think i've ever had any of them comments from you. Hope that doesn't mean you don't feel it with me. :tears:

Cruella
18th-February-2005, 06:22 PM
Whilst dancing on tuesday at Northampton the man said 'you are so well balanced'. Not sure he didn't mean mentally rather than dance related!! But on second thoughts !!!!!!! :what:

Jooles
18th-February-2005, 06:40 PM
Not quite a compliment, but fun anyway.

I was once taken by surprise by a drop I wasn't expecting and let out a little scream and at the end of the dance, I apologised for the scream and my partner said to me "Oh please don't apologise, what man doesn't like to hear his woman scream"

TheTramp
18th-February-2005, 06:45 PM
Ah. That's nothing. I managed 6 screams out of Avril from Dundee in one dance a little while back..... :whistle:

Chef
18th-February-2005, 06:59 PM
Two times really come to mind.

1) My partner and I were at a small venue and "all that jazz" started to play and we decided to dance to it. Lost in our own little world it wasn't until we were two thirds through the track that we noticed we were the only couple dancing. We said in passing each other things like "what do they know that we don't". It wasn't until the end of the track they started applauding that it turned out they had stopped dancing to watch us.

2) During a break my partner and I separated and I decided to fill up the time with a ballet style spin (both arms above head, right foot at left knee). The balance was so sweet I decided to stay there and go around for a second turn and exited in time to collect my partners hand to push back for the restart after the break. Nina Daines saw this and called me a "flash git" which I thought was a great compliment from a severe "flash gitess".

The most sincere compliment I have ever given was to a lady called Hannah. We had two dances at Camber some time back before she was lost in the crowd again. Nine months later I went to Hammersmith and a lady asked me to dance. Within about 10 seconds of dancing with her I recognised the silky smooth flowing following and asked if her name was Hannah. It was. Despite her being in theme costume for the night and a radically different hairstyle I was able to recognise her from the way she followed alone. I wonder if she realised it was a compliment of the highest order. I do hope so.

Happy Dancing

Lory
18th-February-2005, 07:18 PM
We had two dances at Camber some time back before she was lost in the crowd again. Nine months later I went to Hammersmith and a lady asked me......
:eek: You had me going there for a minute! :whistle: :rofl:

Gadget
18th-February-2005, 11:07 PM
:eek: You had me going there for a minute! :whistle: :rofl:
:rofl::rofl:

:D
So, what's the best compliment to recieve, and what's the most sincere you have given?

For me, to be told you have inspired someone is the best ever. The most sincere I have given (and meant as a compliment)...I don't know... I'm beginning to think that I may seem unappreciative of the ladies, or arrogant in accepting their "thank you"'s with a smile and echoed "thank you" :what: I think I perhaps need to make a conseous effort to vocalise a thanks with a compliment instead of just grinning and saying "Thank you".

Thinking about it some more, the best dances: the times when I should really thank the lady, leave my mind blank and a dreamy grin on my face. :blush: The best compliment I have given is non-verbal: just a sigh and a huge grin.

Lory
31st-July-2005, 09:39 PM
I had the loveliest compliment today, though I'm not at all sure it was intended as one and I doubt (unless he reads this :na: ) he'll ever realise how good it made me feel...

"When I dance with you, I can't concentrate at all, my mind goes blank, I'm just doing it! " :what:

I said, that's just perfect then and it's how it's supposed to be! :clap: :cheers: :hug:

jockey
1st-August-2005, 01:27 AM
"Demanding" ...er, could be a compliment, couldnt it?
The best one was "solid" the worst "wooden" (a judge - Simon ex Jive Bug) - am I an ENT or a dancer?
Anyway, what I did was got some advice from a Salsa teacher and did loads of isolation exercises after dancing, now I am a veritable sapling....
In general I want to know whats wrong not whats right (and when I look at videos of myself theres lots that wrong and not much thats right :sick: )
Theres a dancer at Fleet (female 6 foot plus) who has done a PhD on "who learns most and quickest - the narcissicist or the one whose hard on themselves" (ok, that wasnt EXACTLY its title). If she is on the forum I call upon her to contribute..I did a ballroom drop with her..SOLID or what!

jockey
1st-August-2005, 01:54 AM
I was dancing tonight, had two dances in a row with one of my favourite dancers, who was on fantastic form, and really going for it. So, the track ends, and I give (slightly stunned) thanks and walk off to get a drink. One of the taxis rushes over to my former partner, face aglow with excitement, and exclaims to her: "Wow! That was amazing!".

Hi martin..
Have similar tale to tell:
my then competition partner and I wangled free entry to a big night club in Brighton on the grounds that we were practising for BLackpool; now Eva is a very sexy and attractive woman (in tight red outfit etc..) and we put on a show for the clubbers; when we split for a break a bunch of young girls came up to her and said "you were fantastic"......ho hum..

latinlover
1st-August-2005, 08:33 AM
Sue and I were complimented by Gus yesterday, which I found extremely flattering , as I admire his dancing :flower:

LMC
1st-August-2005, 09:20 AM
The best compliment to me is someone holding on to me for a second track or coming back and asking me for another dance later :nice:

Jazz_Shoes (Ash)
1st-August-2005, 09:59 AM
The best compliment to me is someone holding on to me for a second track or coming back and asking me for another dance later :nice:
:yeah: :yeah: :yeah:

Whilst dancing with a new beginner during the class, as I was moving on he told me that i'd make a good taxi driver :D ...shame I can't drive :sad: :rolleyes: I could make quite a bit of dosh taking people home after classes :really:

Ash x
(A taxi driver :innocent: )

Daintyfeet
1st-August-2005, 10:19 AM
I was told last week at the end of a dance: "You have a lovely rhythm for dancing".

I'd had a great evening anyway, but that was the icing on the cake!

clevedonboy
1st-August-2005, 10:43 AM
I had a good one yesterday. After dancing to "Toxic" my partner smiled and said "That was mad" Considering that my partner was Mrs Andy McGregor, I think that took some doing :)

Trish
3rd-August-2005, 10:41 AM
I was told last night by a friend that she had been watching me do some of the dirty dancing moves from the Daventry thing, and that I looked "very rauchy"! I wasn't expecting that at all, and it's nice to know I looked like that rather than just looking silly (which was always a possibility!)

Zebra Woman
3rd-August-2005, 10:50 AM
I had a good one yesterday. After dancing to "Toxic" my partner smiled and said "That was mad" Considering that my partner was Mrs Andy McGregor, I think that took some doing :)

That is some recommendation! :worthy:

MAD is good. :devil:

*Adds CB to my list of Forumites I want to meet and dance with*

Cruella
3rd-August-2005, 10:53 AM
I was told last night by a friend that she had been watching me do some of the dirty dancing moves from the Daventry thing, and that I looked "very rauchy"! I wasn't expecting that at all, and it's nice to know I looked like that rather than just looking silly (which was always a possibility!)

I presume you mean raunchy? :flower:

Northants Girly
3rd-August-2005, 11:01 AM
The best compliment I've ever had was at a dance weekender recently.

I'd just had 2 lovely dances with one of my favourite dancers (actually - the guy on the very top of my 'list' at the time!)

and at the end of the track he led me off the dance floor and handed me over to his mate telling him that he had to dance with me next as he thought I was such a nice dancer! :really:

I thought I'd died and gone to heaven :grin:

Although the weekend was only half way through I could have happily gone home at that point and been thoroughly satisfied with the whole weekend.

As it was I did stay and continued to have lots more fab dances but I'll never forget that moment . . . .

Trish
3rd-August-2005, 11:03 AM
I presume you mean raunchy? :flower:

Yep - that's what I meant to say!! :blush:

Whitebeard
4th-August-2005, 12:05 AM
In all truth; I can't say I get many. Sob ;-)

But my penultimate dance tonight was with a beginner who I'd never seen before and this was probably her very first class. And it was so very enjoyable not to be worrying about my lack of moves and also to find her to be such a natural follower. For a first dance together the connection was fantastic; light but just the right amount of tension. Wonderful, and I'm pretty sure I lead her through moves she hadn't done before.

And at the end she thanked me "..... for such a gentle lead which allowed me to think about what we were doing." That really made this evening.

animaltalk
4th-August-2005, 01:15 AM
Three compliments:

1) "May i hog you" - Little did I expect 3 hours of hogging at Camber:wink:

2) A couple of refered compliments - Compliments always mean more when they come indirectly - " X said she had amazing dances with you at . . . looking forward to her next . . ."

The best
3) Silence and closeness at the end of a magical dance -

"When words are not enough" - a sigh and a smile can tell a thousand words - You know you don't nned to ask of she'd like to dance again :nice: :nice: :nice:

Cruella
16th-August-2005, 09:13 AM
Not exactly a compliment, but whilst dancing with a lovely Spicey forumite last night, we decide to try and have a serious dance. Whilst trying to keep a straight face he comes out with " i don't know what to do with my tongue!" I don't think i've laughed so much in ages. It brings a smile to my face everytime i think about it!! :D :rofl:

azande
16th-August-2005, 10:35 AM
One of the best one was at the last Southport. I did manage to get my first dance with Nina in the blues room, and at the end of it she asked if we had danced before... when I said no, she looked at me and said: "Good Connection"!! :D

Donna
16th-August-2005, 10:42 AM
One of the best one was at the last Southport. I did manage to get my first dance with Nina in the blues room, and at the end of it she asked if we had danced before... when I said no, she looked at me and said: "Good Connection"!! :D

' Oooh :really: it's like dancing with a tornado!' :what: :rofl:

Zebra Woman
16th-August-2005, 11:16 AM
Not exactly a compliment, but whilst dancing with a lovely Spicey forumite last night, we decide to try and have a serious dance. Whilst trying to keep a straight face he comes out with " i don't know what to do with my tongue!" I don't think i've laughed so much in ages. It brings a smile to my face everytime i think about it!! :D :rofl:

Nice one.

Did you make any suggestions??? :innocent:

Donna
16th-August-2005, 11:26 AM

Nice one.

Have to agree that is a good un'.

Cruella
16th-August-2005, 11:28 AM

Nice one.

If i had, i don't think i would post them on here!!! :blush:

Donna
16th-August-2005, 11:29 AM
If i had, i don't think i would post them on here!!! :blush:

Ahem... sensible thing to do. It would get Frank blushing. :blush:

azande
16th-August-2005, 11:37 AM
It would get Frank blushing. :blush:
Yeah right!! :wink:

Donna
16th-August-2005, 11:45 AM
Yeah right!! :wink:

I know he doesn't appear to be the shy sort but I'm Cruella could make those cheeks glow red somehow!! :rofl:

Cruella
16th-August-2005, 11:48 AM
I know he doesn't appear to be the shy sort but I'm Cruella could make those cheeks glow red somehow!! :rofl:

I don't know Franck, do you think i could make you blush?

Donna
16th-August-2005, 11:50 AM
I don't know Franck, do you think i could make you blush?

I don't know him very well but when I met him in ceroc champs 2005 and went to the party after, he certainly didn't seem the shy type. He's really funny as well but I think if you could make him blush....that i'd love to see. :grin:

Cruella
16th-August-2005, 11:57 AM
I don't know him very well but when I met him in ceroc champs 2005 and went to the party after, he certainly didn't seem the shy type. He's really funny as well but I think if you could make him blush....that i'd love to see. :grin:
This may just be my challenge for Southport. :whistle:

Donna
16th-August-2005, 12:02 PM
This may just be my challenge for Southport. :whistle:

Go on Cruella....I dare ya!! And let me know if you it was successful or not. :D

Cruella
16th-August-2005, 07:42 PM
Go on Cruella....I dare ya!! And let me know if you it was successful or not. :D
This is the wrong thread for dares!! But i will let you know anyway. :wink:

Northants Girly
15th-September-2005, 03:58 PM
How about in the time preceding a weekender, when someone tells you that if there are any forthcoming workshops you would like to do then you could ask them to be a fixed partner with you?

Completely hypothetical of course . . . . . :whistle:

Zebra Woman
15th-September-2005, 04:20 PM
How about in the time preceding a weekender, when someone tells you that if there are any forthcoming workshops you would like to do then you could ask them to be a fixed partner with you?

Completely hypothetical of course . . . . . :whistle:

Yes NG that is a great compliment indeed.

I received such an offer myself last SP. Unfortunately the person then accidentally overslept and stood me up. :tears: (totally forgiven btw :flower: )

Top Tip -

Even if someone has agreed to do a class statically with you, always have a back up man to hand.

Mine was darned good. :devil:

Dreadful Scathe
15th-September-2005, 04:24 PM
Ill pay money to see Franck blush...but it'll never happen :)

Northants Girly
15th-September-2005, 04:27 PM
Ill pay money to see Franck blush...but it'll never happen :)How much? :devil:

TiggsTours
15th-September-2005, 04:30 PM
Without a doubt, the nicest compliment I ever received was that:

"Dancing with me felt like a caterpilla turning into a butterfly!" :grin:

The strangest was:

"Dancing with me is like slipping on a pair of old, beat up, comfy slippers"

guess that was nice too, in its own way. :whistle:

Cruella
15th-September-2005, 04:33 PM
Any help or tips greatly recieved. Trouble is Franck already knows this is my challenge for the weekend. Forewarned is forearmed so i think you may be right and will possibly be keeping your money!!

Cruella
15th-September-2005, 04:37 PM
One i had recently when another demo was needed as i couldn't make it. " It'll be like going to the burger bar after having steak" ( Not saying when or where as the other demo may be offended.)

robd
15th-September-2005, 07:54 PM
One i had recently when another demo was needed as i couldn't make it. " It'll be like going to the burger bar after having steak" ( Not saying when or where as the other demo may be offended.)

Does this mean that your average Ceroc night really is a meat market? :wink:

Zebra Woman
15th-September-2005, 08:26 PM
Does this mean that your average Ceroc night really is a meat market? :wink:

Now I'm wondering - is that why we get squeezed and yanked about?? Are we being tenderised for later?

And please don't follow this recipe idea (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showpost.php?p=104898&postcount=584) for me either :eek: :sick:

ZW :flower:

bigdjiver
16th-September-2005, 12:47 AM
I danced early on with a lady that had come to a tea dance as her first Ceroc experience. She said "I did not realise that Modern Jive could be fun."

Cruella
22nd-September-2005, 04:56 PM
Had a lovely compliment at Southport. The guy told me that "dancing with me left him wanting more"

Have just been reminded that "Lory and I could be sisters, due to the fact that we dance so similarly" told to us by a lovely gentleman. :wink: So thats 2 compliments in one weekend. :D

Seahorse
22nd-September-2005, 05:38 PM
Best I've had was at Southport when walking off the floor in the latin room and having a new partner come over and tell me she wanted a dance just like the one she'd seen me just having with my previous partner... that compliment set me up for the weekend.

Little Monkey
22nd-September-2005, 05:47 PM
One of the best compliments I've had lately, was when Sheepman posted this under 'bad points' from Southport:

"Bad
Not dancing with....... Little Monkey...... {snip}"
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Also being stopped on my way off the dancefloor to be told by a guy (who is a wonderful dancer) "I love watching you dance".

Compliments and comments like this makes me :D :grin: :clap: :)

Happy Monkey

robd
4th-October-2005, 05:42 PM
Had to revive this one after a double edged compliment the other night.

At the end of th dance my partner said to me "That's the best dance I have had tonight" Ego went skywards of course :D "...but I have only just got here" she added :sad: Ego crashed back to earth.

Robert

Anna
7th-October-2005, 02:36 AM
Weirdest compliment I've ever been given was at a Salsa club, I'd just finished dancing with a guy and as I was saying my thankyou and turning to walk away to find my next victim he started talking about how I smelt :confused: actually, I think it was something like this..

Random Guy: "You Smell"
Anna: :mad: "Well I have been dancing for a good two hours thankyou!!"
Random Guy: "No I mean your perfume, it's a very strong smell.." *Freaky eye twitch*
Anna: "Um thanks.. :what: *moving to dash away*
Random Guy: "A man could never forget a smell like that.." *twitch*
Anna: ":eek: Uhh thanks.. listenIgottagoI'llcatchyoulateryeah? Cool, bye!" *Runs away into the darkness of the club*

Yeep he was spooky.. :rofl:

And the nicest one.. well this one wasn't given directly to me, but reported by a friend who had heard one of the top Salsa/Original Ceroc teachers out here say that he thinks I'm one of the next generation of up and coming pro's in the NZ Salsa scene.. which I was very very chuffed about :flower: .. so I spose all I gotta do now is learn how to dance :rofl:

ShinyWeeStar
7th-October-2005, 02:13 PM
I was given some lovely compliments about my dancing yesterday, which put me on cloud 9 for the rest of the night :D ... I was told that I follow well and any man should be able to lead me no bother ... also that I'm doing fab considering I've only been dancing a few weeks (see, not just a pretend beginner, lol ;)). As some of these came from :worthy: dancers I was well chuffed and surprised I managed to squeeze my head out of the door at the end of the evening :rofl:

So thank you very muchly :flower:

Piglet
11th-October-2005, 09:48 AM
Someone told me last week near the end of the night that he'd just had the best dance of the night with me :D That was lovely!

A guest teacher once told me that leading me was like driving a Mercedes :D Again lovely!

I think I'm usually the first to compliment at the end of a dance, however - probably something to do with all the praise we as Primary teachers dole out during the day to keep the little kiddies happy and motivated!

I've told someone that his dancing was like poetry. (He's soon to leave Aberdeen :tears: but he'll still be in Scotland :clap: )

I've told someone that dancing with him was like being on a rollercoaster! Definitely a beautiful thing :D

I usually say "thank you" but will upgrade the adjective depending on how the dance grabbed me - e.g. lovely means lovely (but can also be said in different ways :wink: and will mean slightly different things depending if I'm talking to a Beginner or more experienced), brilliant means "lots and lots of fun and please keep it up", excellent/fantastic/etc mean just that.

I've also told someone that I love him to bits for his dancing. He's still my fav! I've also told someone else that he's close to taking over from fav's position!! :rofl: I'm laughing cos the chances are that all the men I've talked about could well be reading this!

My biggest gaff or is it gaffe (I'm confused now :confused: my spelling ain't up to much at times either) is when, last year, after only been dancing a couple of months or so, I complimented a new face in the beginner's class by telling him he was really good.... It only turned out to be Franck up visiting. Hopefully he didn't think I was a right numpty!

Keith
12th-October-2005, 01:06 AM
[QUOTE=Anna]

Random Guy: "You Smell"
Anna: :mad: "Well I have been dancing for a good two hours thankyou!!"
Random Guy: "No I mean your perfume, it's a very strong smell.." *Freaky eye twitch*
Anna: "Um thanks.. :what: *moving to dash away*
Random Guy: "A man could never forget a smell like that.." *twitch*
Anna: ":eek: Uhh thanks.. listenIgottagoI'llcatchyoulateryeah? Cool, bye!" *Runs away into the darkness of the club*

Yeep he was spooky.. :rofl:

Sorry Anna, now I remember you :whistle: Twitch is now much better :wink:

Ickle Chick'n
12th-October-2005, 11:55 AM
It's always lovely to get compliments when you go on these dance weekends. One that made me feel good at Southport was Silver Fox asking me to dance and then asking if he might have another later. I'd seen him at Camber previously and plucked up the courage by the end of the wkend to ask for a dance but it was not my best and I got the impression he couldn't get away fast enough!:nice: I hadn't managed to pluck up courage to ask again. so thanx SF x

SilverFox
12th-October-2005, 12:27 PM
It's always lovely to get compliments when you go on these dance weekends. One that made me feel good at Southport was Silver Fox asking me to dance and then asking if he might have another later. I'd seen him at Camber previously and plucked up the courage by the end of the wkend to ask for a dance but it was not my best and I got the impression he couldn't get away fast enough!:nice: I hadn't managed to pluck up courage to ask again. so thanx SF xWhy, thank you. :flower:

I don't know who you are though. :blush:

What with me being "A Ramekin" (© Cruella) you could only have been: a) a fab dancer; b) really cute; or c) both. :cool: :rolleyes:

Cruella
12th-October-2005, 12:41 PM
Why, thank you. :flower:

What with me being "A Ramekin" (© Cruella) you could only have been: a) a fab dancer; b) really cute; or c) both. :cool: :rolleyes:

Or maybe she was hungry? :wink:

Ickle Chick'n
12th-October-2005, 05:47 PM
Why, thank you. :flower:

Such a smoothie! :blush: (ur reputation goes before you, might've been my silly little dress!LOL)

Cruella
12th-October-2005, 05:52 PM
Such a smoothie! :blush: (ur reputation goes before you, might've been my silly little dress!LOL)
There you have it, cute and a LITTLE dress. :wink:

SilverFox
12th-October-2005, 06:09 PM
Such a smoothie! :blush: (ur reputation goes before you, might've been my silly little dress!LOL)Reputation? Me? :rolleyes:

I still don't know who you are though. What room did we dance in at Southport? What do you look like? What were you wearing? What are you doing on Tuesday?....:whistle:

Ickle Chick'n
12th-October-2005, 06:23 PM
There you have it, cute and a LITTLE dress. :wink:
Lol, and he tries to deny a rep...?!Think I like remaining annonymous but ok, main hall, little green dress, flower fairy type thing (sounds worse than it is honest girlies!)

Tuesday... washing my hair!:wink:

SilverFox
12th-October-2005, 06:31 PM
Lol, and he tries to deny a rep...?!Think I like remaining annonymous but ok, main hall, little green dress, flower fairy type thing (sounds worse than it is honest girlies!)

Tuesday... washing my hair!:wink:Of course I do really know who you are. I'm not the type of guy who just randomly asks people out.

I'm very pleased to announce that my reputation is untarnished because you are most definitely option c) both, a wonderful dancer and seriously cute. :drool: :drool:

How about the following weekend?........:devil:

Lory
12th-October-2005, 10:27 PM
:eek: 6 posts back and forth from SF and Ickle chick'n and still NO mention of rummaging :really:

... SF your loosing your street cred hun! :rolleyes:

must be lurve :devil:

SilverFox
12th-October-2005, 11:49 PM
:eek: 6 posts back and forth from SF and Ickle chick'n and still NO mention of rummaging :really:

... SF your loosing your street cred hun! :rolleyes: Talking of counting posts, can anyone out there in Forum land spell the word losing correctly? There are 51 different threads with it spelt loosing. Fascinating huh? *sad geek smiley*:sick: :sick:

TiggsTours
13th-October-2005, 09:39 AM
On Wednesday at Ashtons, this guy came flying over to ask me to dance, I'd never seen him before, and we had a really nice dance.

Part way through the dance I heard him say to me "I've been aspiring to dance with you", to be honest, I was totally blown away (I'm no Nina Daines!) but unbelievably flattered!

It turned out that, what with the loud music and all my spinning around, what he'd actually said was "I'm perspiring dancing with you", but he did mean it as a compliment.

TiggsTours
13th-October-2005, 09:42 AM
Talking of counting posts, can anyone out there in Forum land spell the word losing correctly? There are 51 different threads with it spelt loosing. Fascinating huh? *sad geek smiley*:sick: :sick:
I can bee quite annally retarded about this sort of think, it always amaze's me the number of speling mistaks and grammarticall misstake's their are all the way threw a number of threds.

SilverFox
13th-October-2005, 10:23 AM
I can bee quite annally retarded about this sort of think, it always amaze's me the number of speling mistaks and grammarticall misstake's their are all the way threw a number of threds.:sick:

under par
13th-October-2005, 03:23 PM
I can bee quite annally retarded about this sort of think, it always amaze's me the number of speling mistaks and grammarticall misstake's their are all the way threw a number of threds.

AT LATS

A pots I can reed and injoy..TANKYOU SEW MUCK:kiss: :kiss: :kiss: :hug:

MartinHarper
13th-October-2005, 04:51 PM
The best compliment recently: I was chatting to my partner pre-dance, something like:
F: "The floor's a bit sticky today, isn't it?"
L: "Oh? I don't notice. My shoes stick to nothing."
F: "Whatever."

So, we start dancing, and it all seems to go well. Halfway through the dance, she says to me, slightly enviously, "I want shoes that stick to nothing!".
Best shoes ever. :)

Saxylady
13th-October-2005, 05:01 PM
I had a funny one from a guy the other week who said, "How are you doing that?" He'd had a few beers and I wonder now if he was seeing double?
:) :)

senorita
14th-October-2005, 02:46 PM
On Wednesday at Ashtons, this guy came flying over to ask me to dance, I'd never seen him before, and we had a really nice dance.

Part way through the dance I heard him say to me "I've been aspiring to dance with you", to be honest, I was totally blown away (I'm no Nina Daines!) but unbelievably flattered!

It turned out that, what with the loud music and all my spinning around, what he'd actually said was "I'm perspiring dancing with you", but he did mean it as a compliment.

Think its the same guy but..Same guy the same evening said:
My what a lovely smile I had & that I smelt very yummilious :whistle: :nice:

LMC
17th-October-2005, 09:45 AM
I was standing on the floor last night after one dance ended while the DJ made a couple of announcements when a guy I've danced with semi-regularly since I was an absolute beginner came up behind me, placed his hands firmly on my hips and dragged me backwards to the edge of the floor, telling me "The next tracks' mine"... Not many people would have got away with that, but it's nice to be wanted :drool: (in fact, he asked to carry on for a second as well :clap: ). Made my night :nice:

Gadget
17th-October-2005, 12:53 PM
Recently I've had a few comments of the same nature that puzzled me:
Ladies thnking me and saying it was a good dance... with a surprised tilt in their voice or a "wasn't it?"

:confused:What's so surprising about having a good dance with me? :tears:

{:wink:}

Tiggerbabe
17th-October-2005, 07:14 PM
:confused:What's so surprising about having a good dance with me? :tears:

Absolutely nothing :hug:, I had two on Saturday and I'm looking for a few more at the BFG -:D :clap:

Gadget
17th-October-2005, 10:32 PM
The pleasure will be all mine :D :clap:

Dancing Teeth
8th-November-2005, 03:38 PM
quote:

With moves as fluid as mercury, a sensitivity as keen as a kittens whiskers and a passion as fathomless as Krakatoa's hottest volcano, dancing next to ****** is as exquisite as being bathed in silk whist having chocolate sauce drizzled on your tongue by an angel ...after that, nothing is ever 'quite' the same again.

Unquote:

When one gets a compliment like this, nothing is ever quite the same. It is humbling in the most profound way. Glad this wonderful person :flower: put the compliment on paper (email) otherwise it would have been tricky to remember.

First time this is being shared in over 2 years.:grin:

When ever I feel sad for one reason or another, I just read this email, feels me up with warmth.:grin:

Thank you, whoever you are... ... :flower:

Cruella
8th-November-2005, 06:03 PM
quote:

With moves as fluid as mercury, a sensitivity as keen as a kittens whiskers and a passion as fathomless as Krakatoa's hottest volcano, dancing next to ****** is as exquisite as being bathed in silk whist having chocolate sauce drizzled on your tongue by an angel ...after that, nothing is ever 'quite' the same again.

Unquote:

When one gets a compliment like this, nothing is ever quite the same. It is humbling in the most profound way. Glad this wonderful person :flower: put the compliment on paper (email) otherwise it would have been tricky to remember.

First time this is being shared in over 2 years.:grin:

When ever I feel sad for one reason or another, I just read this email, feels me up with warmth.:grin:

Thank you, whoever you are... ... :flower:
Blimey makes 'wow you're good' seem like an insult!

Daisy Chain
12th-November-2005, 04:42 PM
quote:

Unquote:

Well Mr Teeth, if you need a second opinion, I'll be happy to oblige :drool:

You'll find me amongst the wallflowers

Daisy

(A Critical Little Flower)

Stu
12th-November-2005, 08:28 PM
My two favourites (but there have been many) - I just love compliments :D :D :D :flower: :flower:

1) Where have you been all my life and why haven't I seen you before? Do you go to any dance weekenders?
And I still wasn't up to asking her for her number (and she was gorgeous!) Move over ESG, there's a new donkey in town!

2) Random guy stops me after dancing with someone and says that I was incredible to watch.
My jaw hit the floor (the first time) I am still on cloud nine (hundred).

David Bailey
13th-November-2005, 10:19 PM
A weird one from a Nameless Forumite this weekend:
"After dancing with DavidJames, a girl needs to get her towel and go to the bathroom"

- or something like that. And no, I didn't quite understand it either, but I think it was a compliment... :confused:

Cruella
14th-November-2005, 09:41 AM
"After dancing with DavidJames, a girl needs to get her towel and go to the bathroom"

- or something like that. And no, I didn't quite understand it either, but I think it was a compliment... :confused:
It could mean many things, it could be that she's nearly wet herself laughing, she needs to wash the smell of B.O off her arms :rofl: Sorry DJ that was mean, I'm sure it was meant as a compliment and she just needed to cool down.:flower:

David Bailey
14th-November-2005, 10:06 AM
It could mean many things, it could be that she's nearly wet herself laughing, she needs to wash the smell of B.O off her arms :rofl:
Yep, that was probably it :sad:

WittyBird
14th-November-2005, 07:15 PM

That was also a 'you have to be there moment'
It was more the look on the persons face as she said it that amused me and also the fact that DJ really didn't understand what she meant. :rofl:

David Bailey
14th-November-2005, 09:18 PM
That was also a 'you have to be there moment'
It was more the look on the persons face as she said it that amused me and also the fact that DJ really didn't understand what she meant. :rofl:
Yes - apparently I was supposed to :blush:
I'm sure I would have, had I actually understood it, but as it was, I apparently looked unjustifiably :waycool:

Although :worthy: to Wittybird for keeping a straight face when That Person was trying to tell her "You really must dance with him", after having had the last 3 dances with me...

But I still think my ultimate wind-up is keeping a straight face when a lovely forumette tried to tell me about this thing called the "Ceroc Scotland Forum", after I innocently enquired why she was wearing a label on Friday night. There are benefits to being incognito :whistle:

(Sorry, but it was too good an opportunity to miss :blush: )

stewart38
15th-November-2005, 03:50 PM
I had one girl tell me at camber 'why the f*** dont guys like you dance in kent'

another 'wish you danced in ***' i cant remember where

Its always nice to get and give compliments

for me its nicer to give a compliment when i mean it

Chef
15th-November-2005, 04:18 PM
I had one girl tell me at camber 'why the f*** dont guys like you dance in kent'

I am obviously not cutting the mustard down here in Kent then. :tears:

One lady that I danced with at Camber brought two of her friends down to the blues room and asked me if I would dance with her friends as well. They stood and watched as I had a dance with each of them. No pressure then.

Not strictly a dance related compliment but..... Dawn and I approached Sarah Johnson (in the Camber lobby) as she was selling her calendars for her charity (an orphanage in africa). A lady by her side pointed at the picture of me on the calendar and said "I would like one of him at home". I told her that for a donation to charity that it could be arranged. She looked at me, then back at the photo, back at me, then at Dawn by my side who said "aren't I a lucky girl then?". Poor Sarah - I think I lost her a sale as the lady mumbled and rushed off.

Serious note. Buy one of these calendars. There are some great pictures of dance teachers (I really like the one of Adam and Tas) and you can mark all those dance weekenders and events that you just don't want to forget to book for.

philsmove
6th-January-2006, 10:51 AM
Last night at my beginners Argentinean Tango class, another beginner asked me how many YEARS I had been dancing
I have only been dancing AT 3 months
I still have a grin on my face
Just shows how the odd word of praise, can boost a beginners confidence

stewart38
6th-January-2006, 11:03 AM
My two favourites (but there have been many) - I just love compliments :D :D :D :flower: :flower:

1) Where have you been all my life and why haven't I seen you before? Do you go to any dance weekenders?
And I still wasn't up to asking her for her number (and she was gorgeous!) Move over ESG, there's a new donkey in town!

2) Random guy stops me after dancing with someone and says that I was incredible to watch.
My jaw hit the floor (the first time) I am still on cloud nine (hundred).

Ok you didnt get 1) number did you get 2) number :nice:

stewart38
6th-January-2006, 11:07 AM
Serious note. Buy one of these calendars. There are some great pictures of dance teachers (I really like the one of Adam and Tas) and you can mark all those dance weekenders and events that you just don't want to forget to book for.

At £3 they were a bargain but fell to bits

More glue next time and charge £5:sad:

Cruella
6th-January-2006, 05:02 PM

But she was from Scotland.:rofl:

ShinyWeeStar
6th-January-2006, 05:23 PM
But she was from Scotland.:rofl:

Msfab
6th-January-2006, 05:31 PM
Is being called a 'Functional' Dancer a good or bad compliment to recieve?

It was said to a friend of mine, and we're not sure how to take it.:sick:

robd
6th-January-2006, 05:40 PM

Not good, I would say.

Imagine being told you were 'functional' in bed :blush: and it's probably a similar reaction.

Robert

doc martin
6th-January-2006, 06:05 PM

It was said to a friend of mine, and we're not sure how to take it.:sick:
I would have thought it was better than being told you are a dysfunctional dancer. I have no idea what either might say about your dancing though.

Maybe they said a funky dancer?

Msfab
6th-January-2006, 08:15 PM
I would have thought it was better than being told you are a dysfunctional dancer. I have no idea what either might say about your dancing though.

Maybe they said a funky dancer?

No it was definitley Functional. Yes its better than dysfunctional.
I understood it to mean a dancer with whom you go through the motions of dancing rather than enjoying the dance and partner.

doc martin
6th-January-2006, 08:29 PM
No it was definitley Functional. Yes its better than dysfunctional.
I understood it to mean a dancer with whom you go through the motions of dancing rather than enjoying the dance and partner.
Yeah, that's the sort of interpretation I was hoping hadn't occurred to you :tears: Look at it another way. Maybe they didn't understand what they were saying. It happens. People use the wrong word. The main thing is not to take it to heart and let it affect your friend's pleasure in dancing.

Caro
6th-January-2006, 09:41 PM

Reading through this tread, I see there are a lot of scepticals about Frank's ability to blush...
Well I have to say then I did make him blush (although that was untentional :whistle: ):
Once after a workshop some time ago, I got confused and didn't exactly follow what he was leading, so at the end of a spin his hand ended up on my breast... :what: but then he blushed so much and was so embarrassed for the next few seconds (not minutes though, it's still Franck!:whistle: ) that I really laughed a lot. It was obviously an accident!

anybody else, then??? :wink:

robd
7th-January-2006, 12:12 PM
Someone said to me last night "I am sure you just make up your own moves".

I took this as a compliment but am not sure it was intended as one.

Tessalicious
7th-January-2006, 01:48 PM
An AT dancer that I occasionaly see at MJ venues said to me a few weeks back "You dance with your soul."

Did he just mean I have no technique? :blush:

David Bailey
7th-January-2006, 02:05 PM
An AT dancer that I occasionaly see at MJ venues said to me a few weeks back "You dance with your soul."

Did he just mean I have no technique? :blush:
You're sure he didn't say "You dance with your sole"? :devil:

Gadget
7th-January-2006, 09:47 PM
Someone said to me last night "I am sure you just make up your own moves".
:rofl: I get this every other time I dance! Generally with a :rolleyes: at the same time. Either that or "Where do you get your moves from?" {again with a :rolleyes:} to which the reply is normally "I make them up" or "I am just good at making mistakes" :D

robd
9th-January-2006, 12:22 PM
his hand ended up on my breast... :what: but then he blushed so much and was so embarrassed for the next few seconds

:rofl: I get this every other time I dance!

:rolleyes:

robd
9th-January-2006, 03:55 PM
Another nice compliment on Saturday - "You're the first man that I actually feel like I am dancing with, rather than going through moves". An indictment of her other partners' abilities (and she said that she has only been dancing for a few months) as much as a positive for me, sure, but I enjoyed it nonetheless.

Robert

robd
9th-January-2006, 03:59 PM
Whilst I am in the thread I would like to say that the old saying 'Flattery gets you nowhere' couldn't be more inaccurate when it comes to dancing with me. I can, and do, remember those who praise my dancing and will readily seek them out for future dances. With this in mind, I too try and be complimentary to my partners at a dance's end (though never insincerely so) in the hope that they will remember this when we next encounter one another.

Robert

Cruella
9th-January-2006, 04:37 PM
Whilst I am in the thread I would like to say that the old saying 'Flattery gets you nowhere' couldn't be more inaccurate when it comes to dancing with me. I can, and do, remember those who praise my dancing and will readily seek them out for future dances. With this in mind, I too try and be complimentary to my partners at a dance's end (though never insincerely so) in the hope that they will remember this when we next encounter one another.

Robert
You're fantastic, i really love dancing with you, so smooth how many years have you been dancing!!! :whistle:

Barry Shnikov
9th-January-2006, 05:17 PM
It was obviously an accident!

And therein, I would like to point out, lies the skill:whistle:

robd
9th-January-2006, 05:18 PM
You're fantastic, i really love dancing with you, so smooth how many years have you been dancing!!! :whistle:

Almost a whole year now since my first class (and I still remember how much I hated that night :sick: )

And you will always be on my 'Must Ask' list!

Robert

Barry Shnikov
9th-January-2006, 05:20 PM
Camber November 2004 a woman followed me upstairs from the blues room and sat next to me as I was changing into street shoes.

"I've been watching you dance downstairs and I just wanted to tell you I thought you looked amazing."

Was with girlfriend, sadly; sadly since that only lasted another fortnight.

Maybe she'll spot me again one day...

robd
17th-January-2006, 11:13 PM
Haven't posted on this thread for, ooh, over a week now so....

Last week I was asked by one lady "How do you manage to turn every song into a slow dance?" which I took as complimentary in quite a tenuous way.

Little Monkey
17th-January-2006, 11:49 PM
As posted in another thread by moi:

......... I got a lovely compliment when I was dancing in London before Christmas; The lovely man I danced with said "Why is it all you Scottish ladies are such amazing dancers?"

That made me smile for ages! :D

Gary
18th-January-2006, 01:44 PM
"That dance made the whole evening worthwhile"

:waycool:

ShinyWeeStar
20th-January-2006, 10:09 PM
"You know, you're one of my favourite dance-buddies." :D

Whitebeard
20th-January-2006, 11:30 PM
"You know, you're one of my favourite dance-buddies." :D

Wow, a fellow AOL'er. ;-)

Gadget
21st-January-2006, 12:06 AM
Last year I read the remarkable document "Moves, moves, moves" by one Gadget. It had a significant effect on my approach to dancing (I just hope it was a good effect).
Something like that has got to be one of the best compliments you can get :blush::D:D... as long as you ignore the bit in brackets :rolleyes:

azande
21st-January-2006, 07:31 PM
Azande - I forget it all...I think I was hypnotised.

... :D

Piglet
21st-January-2006, 07:41 PM
Well, here's another good reason for making the trek to Brechin.

The amount of compliments I got last night about my dancing will definitely ensure I go back again lots and lots and lots. All I can say is there is a lot to be said for dimmed lighting! :rofl:

My favourite comment that I got a couple of months back was that I danced like a wood nymph!!!! Not sure what he meant exactly, but it sounded darned nice to me - so thank you, kind man if you should be reading this :flower: :flower: :hug: :hug: :hug: By the way - not seen you around for a bit, hope you'll be back dancing soon.

Little Monkey
12th-June-2006, 06:28 PM
Just got a wonderful compliment at Mama Morton's this on Saturday.

I was sitting admiring Chris and Graham (Glasgow, WCS, fab!), wishing that I could be even one tenth as good as them, when a lady came up to me and said: You know Cathrine, you're still one of the best movers around. It's always a joy to watch you dance!

I went rather pink, and spluttered a 'thank you!'

Getting a round of applause from Lindsay, after a dance with Tigerpants, was rather flattering, too! Thanks!:flower:

A Flattered Little Monkey

littlewiggle
13th-June-2006, 10:37 PM
Well I was once told that dancing with me was like driving a ferrari which i thought was a compliment until some kind soul burst my bubble and said "actually ferraris are difficult to drive!" :tears:

He did mean it as a compliment... he did! he did! I just know he did!:rofl: :rofl:

Yogi_Bear
15th-June-2006, 09:58 PM
Well I was once told that dancing with me was like driving a ferrari which i thought was a compliment until some kind soul burst my bubble and said "actually ferraris are difficult to drive!" :tears:

He did mean it as a compliment... he did! he did! I just know he did!:rofl: :rofl:
I think he meant you were a dance thoroughbred......:grin:

spindr
15th-June-2006, 10:07 PM
I think he meant you were a dance thoroughbred......:grin:
Or you looked like a prancing horse (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferrari) :devil:

SpinDr

littlewiggle
15th-June-2006, 10:19 PM
Oh thanks guys...............my confidence has plummeted :tears:

pmjd
16th-June-2006, 03:14 PM
On the other hand Ferraris are exotic, sleek, fast and people rarely see or get the chance to experience them.

There has that helped the confidence:flower: ?

Cruella
16th-June-2006, 04:00 PM
Perhaps you should look at this thread (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5989)Little wiggle! (check out post 8 for David Bs description of a Ferrari)

littlewiggle
16th-June-2006, 05:20 PM
On the other hand Ferraris are exotic, sleek, fast and people rarely see or get the chance to experience them.

There has that helped the confidence:flower: ?

Oh yes I feel so much better now!:cheers: The thread Cruella referred me to made me laugh out loud!

Whitebeard
22nd-June-2006, 11:09 PM
The nice ladies were complimenting me on the new shirt I was wearing the other night. A natty little number in seersucker from Landsend with a straight hem so that, a first time for me, it could be worn untucked with my pretty baggy Head Casuals; now that the weather is treating us to some extra sweatiness. Felt very free and easy - the old feller gettin' quite hip. Now, who's stocking the newish Bloch Klassiks - and do they pass muster?

TiggsTours
29th-June-2006, 04:12 PM
Someone told me last night that dancing with me was like driving a porsche, with fingertip steering! :D

Lory
29th-June-2006, 05:44 PM
Someone told me last night that dancing with me was like driving a porsche, with fingertip steering! :D
Sounds familiar, it wasn't 'Clive Long' was it? :na:

mrs_warwick
29th-June-2006, 10:32 PM
I was dancing with a beginner a couple of weeks ago who told me it was like dancing with a feather.

One dance partner told me I had very naughty eyes.
Can't think what he meant by that!

I was also told one evening in Woking (Rebel Roc as it was then) that I was as good a dancer as Katie, if not better. However as this was shortly followed by a request for my phone number and a date...

Jivingdan
29th-June-2006, 10:37 PM
I was dancing with a beginner a couple of weeks ago who told me it was like dancing with a feather.

One dance partner told me I had very naughty eyes.
Can't think what he meant by that!

I was also told one evening in Woking (Rebel Roc as it was then) that I was as good a dancer as Katie, if not better. However as this was shortly followed by a request for my phone number and a date...

Do we know each other . I dance in leicester a lot. There are a number of ladies in leicester with naughty eyes.

Juju
30th-June-2006, 12:35 AM
I tend not to get compliments. More... advice, really.

:blush:

TiggsTours
30th-June-2006, 10:04 AM
Sounds familiar, it wasn't 'Clive Long' was it? :na:
No, but I've had a lovely compliment from him passed on to me, something about my eyes sparkling when I dance. :D

I had another nice compliment from Andy Fleming too, he said my Lindy reminded him of Natalie (Martin Ellis' dance partner, usually), if anyone knows Natalie, that's a big compliment too!

Daisy Chain
11th-August-2006, 12:15 PM
I'm not sure if I was given a compliment or an insult last night.

As we walked off the floor, having had a a lovely dance, my partner informed me that I was built for speed, not comfort :eek:

Daisy

(A Confused Little Flower)

littlewiggle
15th-August-2006, 09:07 PM
Had a nice compliment on Sunday, a guy said that he likes dancing with me because if he goes wrong, I cover it well! This came from a very experienced dancer so I was well chuffed :D

Whitebeard
24th-August-2006, 12:09 AM
Oh gee - I'm still blushing and covered in confusion. A regular demo asked for a dance tonight and although it wasn't a favourite track, and I was so conscious of my limited range of moves, it was a good dance. But I was staggered by the sincerity and enthusiasm of her reaction.

"You're a luvly dancer (broad northern vowels - and I'm one too) and you're so light, etc., etc.)

From a top table girl that was complimentary indeed. And then the taxi girl came over and requested a dance which, if anything, had an even lighter connection. Have they been talking about me at the top table? Will I pluck up the courage to do the requesting next time?

Lynn
24th-August-2006, 12:25 AM
I asked a guy to dance tonight - his response was a reluctant yes and 'But you intimidate me'.:what: Oh dear. Halfway through the dance 'You're easy to lead'. After a second dance - 'You don't intimidate me anymore because you just follow what I lead.' :D Fab.

drathzel
24th-August-2006, 08:49 AM
Graham once told me that my following was similar to rachel :worthy: and aleks :worthy: :awe:

TA Guy
24th-August-2006, 01:50 PM
I do remember one, in Stoke-on-Trent at the charity 12 hour Ceroc marathon thingy in 2004.
Anyway, the lovely Linda Barker was there with her hubby Mr. Ellard. I hadn't seen her for, wow, many, many years. I often used to be in her class in my 'improver' days when she taught down here on the South coast, but not in her 'circle' so to speak.

So... I go and sit next to her and introduce myself. She said she remembered me, but I'm sure she was just being polite. LOL. We talk about stuff, including the 'old days', the nights she used to teach and her lessons etc. Then I asked her to dance.
As we finish, I say 'thanks, that was great' or something equally inane and she replied with something similar, then, as we start to walk off the dance floor, she added; 'I must have been a really good teacher'.

It took me a moment to realize that wasn't about her teaching at all, and the compliment really tickled me, dunno why, maybe the teacher<->pupil thing. Wish I'd had an apple :)

CJ
24th-August-2006, 03:23 PM
I heard this said of a dancer and thought it was too lovely a phrase not to share... (shan't name giver or recipient of beautiful phrase).

"The world doesn't exist when you spin me"

Lory
1st-September-2006, 01:44 PM
From an observer.........

You looked really good! And 'fortunately' your hair was covering your face for most of the dance! ;)

:really: :rofl:

straycat
1st-September-2006, 01:57 PM
From an observer.........

You looked really good! And 'fortunately' your hair was covering your face for most of the dance! ;)

You sure you didn't mishear 'unfortunately' as 'and fortunately'?

Lory
1st-September-2006, 02:06 PM
You sure you didn't mishear 'unfortunately' as 'and fortunately'?

Absolutely not :cool:

It was from someone close and they meant it but don't worry, I didn't take it to heart! :nice:

foxylady
1st-September-2006, 03:29 PM
I was told last night

"I love watching you spin, you spin so wonderfully, you spin in installments"

I think I knew what he meant, and was really tickled pink...

Little Monkey
1st-September-2006, 03:50 PM
After dancing with pmjd last Wednesday, a guy came up to us and said "It was worth coming here tonight, just to watch you two dance!"

I think pmjd is still deflating his head after that comment!:rofl:

SteveK
1st-September-2006, 03:55 PM

I had the opposite experience to this on Wednesday night whilst dancing with a very good woman at the Jive Bar. Whilst I was probably leading with too much tension (following a stressful visit to the Passport Office), she was offering lots of negative constructive comments on my dancing. As I was about to walk away after the dance, and was feeling a bit demoralised, she commented that I was a good dancer. Thinking about this afterwards; she might have actually really meant this, and wouldn't have bothered with all the comments if I had been just average....

Guess I'll have to keep asking the really good dancers to dance with me, and hope I improve beyond average standard

pmjd
1st-September-2006, 04:00 PM
I think pmjd is still deflating his head after that comment!:rofl:

It's almost back to normal size:blush: :D :blush:

and thank you for that dance, and the other fantastic dances we had on Wednesday
:clap: :flower: :clap: :flower: :clap: :flower: :clap:

Lory
7th-September-2006, 04:13 PM
My latest compliment...

Mmmm, it feels like your not even there! :grin: (which apparently's, a really good thing! :cool: :rofl: )

Msfab
9th-September-2006, 03:33 PM
Get this - Last week at Ashtons I was asked by a couple of gentleman to teach them to lead Argentine Tango!:rofl: :rolleyes:

robd
11th-September-2006, 03:22 PM
I am very frequently asked by dance partners if I 'do ballroom'.

I think it's a compliment.

Sparkles
11th-September-2006, 03:28 PM
I am very frequently asked by dance partners if I 'do ballroom'.

I think it's a compliment.

Maybe they're just trying to work out if you're gay or not? :rolleyes: :wink:

robd
11th-September-2006, 03:32 PM
Maybe they're just trying to work out if you're gay or not? :rolleyes: :wink:

I'm still trying to work that one out myself so good luck to them.

Sparkles
11th-September-2006, 03:39 PM
I'm still trying to work that one out myself so good look to them.

I didn't know you could tell just by looking... :what:

straycat
11th-September-2006, 03:43 PM
Seen it done...

robd
11th-September-2006, 03:48 PM

Hmm - picking up on interesting spelling variations. Pot, kettle, black la sparkles :rolleyes:

straycat
11th-September-2006, 03:51 PM
Hmm - picking up on interesting spelling variations. Pot, kettle, black la sparkles :rolleyes:

Shouldn't that be 'les sparkles'? :whistle:

Cruella
11th-September-2006, 04:10 PM
I was told i had 'pretty toes' :blush: Obviously nicer than my eyes then, eh Kev :whistle:

Gav
14th-September-2006, 09:16 AM
I'm not very good at accepting compliments, or believing in myself and I'm not very confident about asking people to dance, but seeing this thread and actually writing the reply has forced me to think about it more. In fact the reply has turned into an essay, so get comfortable!

On a beginners workshop the teacher and demonstrator pulled me to one side and I thought I was going to get told off. She said I should have signed up for an intermediate workshop.

At the intermediate workshop a few weeks later I got a loud "wooooo" and "good lead" from the same teacher during a first move barrier with a twist. That one made me feel great for at least a couple of weeks!

At a local lesson a few months ago, a very experienced lady commented "you're going to be a great dancer". Naturally I feigned hurt and replied "what, you don't think I'm a great dancer already?" hehe! :D

More recently I was getting frustrated with my own performance (I'm very impatient, I've been MJ'ing for 8 months and I want to be as good as the 5 years + dancers right now!!!!) I commented to a lady sitting next to me about how good certain men were and how I wish I could be that good. She said "you could give them a run for their money". I could barely get out of the door at the end of the night, my head was soooo big. :cool:

Quite a lot people don't believe me when I say how long I've been dancing, but by far, the biggest compliment ever, was when I went to a venue for the first time, all on my lonesome. The only people I know were the DJ and the lady on the door. I didn't stop dancing all night, I think I danced with every lady in the room and they were all lovely. I'm not an especially confident person and I did worry that I'd spend most of the night sitting on my own, but in the end I didn't even need to ask anyone!

straycat
18th-September-2006, 04:10 PM
The first time I went to Herrang, having heard all about what a fantastic event it was, how great the dancers were, how friendly the people, how it was the place to go to transform your dancing...

We got there, and within five minutes of arriving, I'd bumped into a ... very well-known and well-respected UK lindy & jive teacher who I know fairly well ... and she looked at me in utter puzzlement and said:

"Andy. What on earth are you doing here?"

Some people go a lifetime without receiving that kind of validation :whistle:

jacksondonut
18th-September-2006, 04:32 PM
....''If you this happy in real life, as you are on the dancefloor.. You must have a wonderful life...''

(thought that was a rather nice thing this stranger said to me whilst dancing on sunday night in Southport.. )

Whitebeard
24th-September-2006, 01:39 AM
"You look nice tonight".

Believe me, that is a compliment.

Perhaps she likes the MIB look, or maybe the little French bolo creation did it for her ? Or the designer white stubble ??

Blueshoes
27th-September-2006, 12:49 PM
I had the good fortune to dance with a well known and respected lady at Southport in June, and as I knew she'd seen and done it all in her time I tried every flash move in my armoury, all of which worked suberbly (she was a lovely dancer). At the end of the dance she looked at me and said "That was different".

I still regularly wake up sweating at 2.00am wondering what she meant!

straycat
27th-September-2006, 12:55 PM
After having - one of the three best blues dances I've ever had - completely out of this world...

Spot the difference between these to bits of feedback :wink:
One friend came up to me afterwards and said something like: "I saw you dancing with X - that was amazing!!!"

Another 'friend' came up to me thirty seconds later, and said: "I saw you dancing with X - she's really really good, isn't she?"

sidney
27th-September-2006, 01:46 PM
Yes I have had compliments in the past regarding ceroc but I have been going salsa for about five weeks now, and last night a guy came in a bit later after the class started and joined in. You could see straight away he was very good, and was helping out with the beginners so when he danced with me he was full of compliments on my dancing but I did say I do dance but anywere he kept getting up in the break to dance with him and he made it so easy as he was a great lead, but it made my night as I was thinking shall I carry on as it is hard going back to the basics again but I have now decided to carry on.:nice:

ducasi
3rd-October-2006, 11:43 PM
Tonight in the intermediate class I got a girl who I don't think I've danced with before... As we were waiting for something to happen (the music to start?) she said to me "you're a fantastic dancer! I've watched you!" A touch embarrassed I said thank you and smiled as we went into the "5, 6, 7, 8..." :blush:

.. into the first move of the routine, a wee variation of mine on what Franck was teaching, the "first move man's comb and elbow your partner in the face!" :really:

Obviously not that fantastic! :sick:

Blueshoes
3rd-October-2006, 11:59 PM
she said to me "you're a fantastic dancer! I've watched you!"
.. into the first move of the routine, a wee variation of mine on what Franck was teaching, the "first move man's comb and elbow your partner in the face!" :really:

A few times in the line up I've got a lady I know (it's happened with several different ladies) and she's said "I'm glad I've got you, you know what you're doing". I really wish they wouldn't do that.......

Dazzled by my own brilliance I wake up a few seconds later to find that whilst everyone else in the class is executing a perfect first move block in complete unison I'm halfway through a double rotating pretzel, invariably facing a different way to my fellow attendees....... :eek:

mrs_warwick
19th-October-2006, 09:55 AM
I received some compliments last night.

The first was during the intermediate class, it was the last rotation to do the routine then into freestyle. The man I came to said 'oh no, I've got the best dancer, now I'm bound to screw up'. (I didn't think I was that scary :blush:, but it's always nice to be told you're the best dancer).

During the freestyle I danced a couple of tracks with a non-regular, who complimented me on my light follow and good rhythm.

Finally at the end of the evening, one lady told me that she loves to watch me dance with a particular man, she feels that she learns a lot from watching us dance together.

It was once of the best nights I've had for a while, and the compliments were just the icing on the cake. I won't be able to get my head through the door soon!

Jhutch
19th-October-2006, 10:19 AM
I once was told 'you are the best' :clap: :waycool: :clap: :grin: But this was by a beginner in the 'lets do all the whole routine' :blush: :blush: :blush: I also got complimented the other night on my lean during the shoulder drop:sick: That threw me for a while and i did about four first moves in a row!:grin: Got a compliment as well after twice getting right the point where a song kicked back in again:waycool: Might have been able to take it more to heart if i had meant to do! Did mean the first time but the second was a fluke:blush: Only other compliments are open-to-interpretation ones like 'you are getting better' etc:sick:

:nice:

Gadget
19th-October-2006, 12:44 PM
I keep getting "Is she your partner? - you dance well together"... I would be worried if it was the same partner they were referring to every time, but I'm sure it varies. :D

{:flower: thank you to those I dance with 'regulary' for making me look good :D... And those I don't dance with regularly that make me look good. If you don't make me look good, :na: (;))}

Caro
19th-October-2006, 01:02 PM
{:flower: thank you to those I dance with 'regulary' for making me look good :D... }

anytime babe :rofl:

I used to get a lot of that too, when I was dancing with Nev (non forumite) in Chicago's after the classes, most nights at least one person would come and ask us if we were partners, and very often if we were married :eek: :really: :blush: . Eventhough we were not dancing UCP.
(he his married, but not with me :rofl: ... we thought it was quite weird that people seem to assume that all the time though :confused: ).

Genie
19th-October-2006, 06:01 PM
Sometimes it is nice when someone says something nice about your dancing. Rather than "that's a very nice top that stops there!" or "You look sparkly tonight, what's the occasion?" But for some reason, other than 'thank you', compliments are hard to come by. People are all too eager to grab another partner for the next dance. The leads I dance with most often are more inclined to be critical than complimentary. That's not always a bad thing, because they are the kind of guys who give good critique and they keep asking me to dance, so obviously they don't dislike my dancing.

{ thank you to those I dance with 'regulary' for making me look good ... }

It's not so much 'looking good' when we dance, I think. It's more... feeling good. That's important. Some of the so-called-best dances I've had with leads who 'always look good and flashy' haven't felt good as a dancer because they're too busy 'trying' to look good, and not doing enough 'dancing-with-you!' (sore point, sorry)

purple~emma
19th-October-2006, 08:04 PM
I've had a few people comment on my spinning, normally something along the lines of "you could spin on a sixpence."

But the best compliment I ever had was from a taxi dancer who is normally, I find, quite critical. I overhead him talking to another taxi dancer saying that I was nice to dance with because he could lead me anywhere and I'd just follow.

I think it's always nice to be complimented and I always make a point of saying to someone if I particularly enjoyed dance, it often does wonders for someones confidence.

Juju
22nd-October-2006, 11:32 AM
"She's a really good dancer when she shuts up."

Twirly
26th-October-2006, 11:35 PM
Am not very good at blowing my own trumpet (so to speak), but I danced with a guy at my local venue on Monday whom I've talked about on here before as he challenges me sometimes and has made me a bit nervous. He did a type of move I'm usually really bad at (with everyone), and at the end he grinned at me and said "Perfect!"

Made my day, as my confidence had been a bit lacking due to my break. Twas lovely :D

David Bailey
27th-October-2006, 08:26 AM
Am not very good at blowing my own trumpet (so to speak), but I danced with a guy at my local venue on Monday whom I've talked about on here before as he challenges me sometimes and has made me a bit nervous. He did a type of move I'm usually really bad at (with everyone), and at the end he grinned at me and said "Perfect!"

Made my day, as my confidence had been a bit lacking due to my break. Twas lovely :D
Interestingly, some people might have taken that the wrong way - i.e. "Well done" / pat on the head kind of thing.

Shows how fine the line is sometimes between being complimented and being patronised.

Cruella
27th-October-2006, 08:30 AM
Interestingly, some people might have taken that the wrong way - i.e. "Well done" / pat on the head kind of thing.

Shows how fine the line is sometimes between being complimented and being patronised.

A girl gets her ego boosted, just for you to knock her down!
Do you need special shoes for this sport DJ?

David Bailey
27th-October-2006, 09:03 AM
A girl gets her ego boosted, just for you to knock her down!
Do you need special shoes for this sport DJ?
It's a gift.

Seriously, I reckon most / all things seen as patronising comments are attempts at compliments - just occasionally poorly-phrased. That's all I was trying to say.

Twirly
27th-October-2006, 09:51 AM

Well anything anyone can says can always be misinterpreted or badly put. And there is a bit of difference between saying “well done” to someone you’ve never/rarely danced with before, and “perfect” being said with enthusiasm to someone you dance with regularly whom you know has struggled with a particular move in the past. I appreciate it too as I know he’s a good dancer and he keeps asking me (whenever he sees me) and pushes me, despite my ability to mess things up.

Thanks for the support Cruella! :hug:

MartinHarper
27th-October-2006, 08:04 PM
I reckon most / all things seen as patronising comments are attempts at compliments - just occasionally poorly-phrased.

On that note, I was dancing with some girl at Worcester who was doing some excessively hot body-rolls, and I made an off-the-cuff comment that she should be careful not to blind me. I was of course referring to the Greek myth of Tiresias: the son of a shepherd who is struck blind after seeing the beautiful Athena bathing naked. After all, who hasn't heard of Tiresias??

Oops.

peppercorn
27th-October-2006, 08:14 PM
I've recently tried to style my dancing and try the whole hip wiggling thing (I'm not a natural hip wiggler) but I was in Brighton a couple of weekends ago for britrock and one guy (at the end of the night) said he wished he had got a dance with me but every time he came over to ask some else asked me. Then he asked if I was originally a latin dancer :D :D :D

Made my night and It still makes me grin. Maybe I over did the hip wiggle though!:wink:

peppercorn
27th-October-2006, 08:20 PM
On that note, I was dancing with some girl at Worcester who was doing some excessively hot body-rolls, and I made an off-the-cuff comment that she should be careful not to blind me. I was of course referring to the Greek myth of Tiresias: the son of a shepherd who is struck blind after seeing the beautiful Athena bathing naked. After all, who hasn't heard of Tiresias??

Oops.

Hmm! :really:

David Bailey
28th-October-2006, 11:08 AM
"It'd be really sexy dancing with you if you wore a mask"

(yes I do get that a lot)

Dynamo
28th-October-2006, 11:40 AM
"It'd be really sexy dancing with you if you wore a mask"

(yes I do get that a lot)

:yeah:

You should have seen the lady dancing in a full warewolf mask last nite :whistle: , the comment must have been ment for her because she was..... sexy when she danced. :respect:

PS thanks for the Dance :grin: :clap: :clap:

MartinHarper
20th-December-2006, 12:24 PM
Anyone else finding that the christmas season is leading more folks to make compliments? Last night I had two that I liked. A beg/int lady told me I was "overflowing with rhythm". Earlier, a more experienced dancer enthusiastically told me:

"Normally when I dance I laugh at how stupid I look, but when I'm dancing with you, I laugh at you instead!"

Gav
20th-December-2006, 12:30 PM
Anyone else finding that the christmas season is leading more folks to make compliments? Last night I had two that I liked. A beg/int lady told me I was "overflowing with rhythm". Earlier, a more experienced dancer enthusiastically told me:

"Normally when I dance I laugh at how stupid I look, but when I'm dancing with you, I laugh at you instead!"

Not yet. :tears:

1st one sounds awesome. I'd be grinning for the rest of the night if I heard that, you must have been pleased. :clap:

2nd one, nice to know you're doing something useful :eek: :rofl:

SeriouslyAddicted
20th-December-2006, 12:55 PM
Yes TT told me last night that I was the best dance he had had that night - love ya TT :kiss:

Gadget
20th-December-2006, 02:27 PM
I got a few good comments last night:
"I love it when you try things out with me - lets me know if I'm following properly: I never know what you're going to do next"

"I love dancing with you - makes me feel like I can follow!" {kinna wondered what the other dances felt like?}

"Woooo - I feel like Fredistair and Ginger :D"

And another, rather strange one (not from last night) that I take as a compliment - "Gadget dosn't dance Ceroc - it's like Ceroc...but on LSD." :what: :rofl:

Dreadful Scathe
21st-December-2006, 01:21 PM
And another, rather strange one (not from last night) that I take as a compliment - "Gadget dosn't dance Ceroc - it's like Ceroc...but on LSD." :what: :rofl:

It feels like that when we watch you too ;)

Wouldbe
21st-December-2006, 01:41 PM
Yes TT told me last night that I was the best dance he had had that night - love ya TT :kiss:

He wasn't too keen on his experience leading Woodface then?!:wink:

I enjoyed my dance with you on Tuesday too. :flower: You were really on form, both as lead and follow. Thank you.

I always apologise to people "getting stuck with me again" in the rows during a class if they've already danced with me once. (It's become an annoying habit of mine as I'm notoriously rubbish at striking up conversation! I'm fine once I get going though.) It's very nice to hear in response however, "Oh, not at all, that's good. At least you know what you're doing!" or "That's great. I like dancing with you". It's a lot of pressure to live up to though!

TurboTomato
21st-December-2006, 01:51 PM

It was an interesting experience! :D

He certainly wasn't the worst dance I had that night, by a long way ;)

SeriouslyAddicted
21st-December-2006, 02:20 PM

I understand that dancing with men is becoming quite a habit of TT's now :eek:

I enjoyed my dance with you on Tuesday too. :flower: You were really on form, both as lead and follow. Thank you.

My pleasure and thank you :D

Lee Bartholomew
22nd-December-2006, 07:18 PM

:tears: You were on form on Tuesday though. Was a good night, one of the best for ages. Had bit of a party atmosphear.

I always apologise to people "getting stuck with me again" in the rows during a class if they've already danced with me once. (It's become an annoying habit of mine as I'm notoriously rubbish at striking up conversation! I'm fine once I get going though.) It's very nice to hear in response however, "Oh, not at all, that's good. At least you know what you're doing!" or "That's great. I like dancing with you". It's a lot of pressure to live up to though!

Your great to dance with though. Always gets people watching. We should work on some more complex dips, drops and arials though.

It was an interesting experience! :D

He certainly wasn't the worst dance I had that night, by a long way ;)

LOl. Was fun.

I had one elderly man come up to me on Tuesday and say that "watching me dance made him wish he was 40 years younger" which I thought was nice at the time, but thinking about it when I got home, was he comming on to me?

drathzel
24th-December-2006, 08:06 PM
at brechin a lady came up to me and told me i was the total package, just like Christina Aguilera!:blush:

Dorothy
27th-December-2006, 08:21 PM
I had one elderly man come up to me on Tuesday and say that "watching me dance made him wish he was 40 years younger" which I thought was nice at the time, but thinking about it when I got home, was he comming on to me?

Probably a flirty complement.
I know how he feels, dancing makes me feel as if I am 20 years younger, but watching young folk doing it well just makes me feel old!

StokeBloke
29th-December-2006, 04:20 PM
Probably a flirty complement.
I know how he feels, dancing makes me feel as if I am 20 years younger, but watching young folk doing it well just makes me feel old!

You are only as old as the girl you twirl :whistle:

Gav
31st-December-2006, 04:23 PM
On Friday night I bumped into a friend of a friend at a freestyle. He had his girlfriend and some other mates with him. They're all relative beginners, but him especially.
I dragged a few of the ladies up for a dance (including his girlfriend) and comments I got from this crowd included:
"Wow, you're fantastic"
"I didn't know I could do half of those moves"
"it was great when you held us in that pose for the breaks, no-one ever does that"
"You don't look anything like a dancer, more like a bouncer"

Hehe, I like being a pleasant surprise! :clap: :clap: :clap:

WittyBird
3rd-January-2007, 05:19 PM
A lovely person told me the other night that they would dump their dance partner for me. I was extremely flattered, but he was probably drunk :what:

Thanks babes :awe:

Caz
3rd-January-2007, 07:03 PM
A lovely person told me the other night that they would dump their dance partner for me. I was extremely flattered, but he was probably drunk :what:

Thanks babes :awe:

i was there when this person said this and he sooo meant it... u 2 dance fabulously well together esp when u west coast... it is FANTASTIC to watch

luvly to meet u this weekend xxx

StokeBloke
3rd-January-2007, 07:44 PM
"I didn't know I could do half of those moves"
This is a wonderful compliment :respect:

Lethe
5th-January-2007, 07:05 PM
I was once asked: 'is your grandmother single?' I took it as a compliment but it did draw attention to the significant age gap between us :grin:

Double Trouble
5th-January-2007, 08:23 PM
Some bloke said to me at Cheshunt last year "If I was twenty years younger.....etc, etc"

The problem was, he was 70, at least. How old did he think i was, for fek sake?:tears:

littlewiggle
5th-January-2007, 08:31 PM
QUOTES Double Trouble:

Some bloke said to me at Cheshunt last year "If I was twenty years younger.....etc, etc"

The problem was, he was 70, at least. How old did he think i was, for fek sake?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This made me laugh as probably the same bloke who once said it to me! Know what you mean hun - it's not exactly flattering is it?!:D

Double Trouble
5th-January-2007, 08:40 PM
A forumite....who shall remain nameless, tried very hard to give me a compliment, but failed miserably.

I've tried very hard to improve my spinning this year...the *compliment* was "your spinning is improving...its still a bit like stirring porridge, but much better than before" :sad: :tears: :sad:

I wont put my application form in to be a taxi dancer just yet. :sad:

Dai
5th-January-2007, 09:43 PM
Having been asked to partner two people in the champs - wow i take that as a major compliment!!

Blueshoes
6th-January-2007, 03:30 PM
"You don't look anything like a dancer, more like a bouncer"

That's a compliment???? Some people are easily pleased!
(the rest of them were nice though!)

Gav
10th-January-2007, 09:50 AM
I'd been exchanging emails with a lady from another local venue, when I mentioned that I may not be able to make it for the freestyle after the class as I was going to an AT class beforehand.
Her reply included "hope you can make it! Everyone else is rubbish!!". I'm assuming she doesn't mean that's the only reason she dances with me??? :D

StokeBloke
10th-January-2007, 12:11 PM
I was told last night "you have a lovely light touch". I'm not sure what that means but it sounded nice :)

Gav
10th-January-2007, 12:12 PM
I was told last night "you have a lovely light touch". I'm not sure what that means but it sounded nice :)

Were you dancing at the time or doing something else? :D

Double Trouble
10th-January-2007, 12:24 PM

she thinks you'er gay. I'd put money on it.:love: :rofl: :love:

StokeBloke
10th-January-2007, 01:57 PM
Were you dancing at the time or doing something else? :DDancing.... HONEST :wink:

she thinks you'er gay. I'd put money on it.:love: :rofl: :love:I'm not gay, but my boyfriend is :D

Freudian Hips
10th-January-2007, 02:22 PM
I was recently told:
"You look like you've been dancing a long, long time."

I ask you, do I look that old and exhausted? :tears:

And ........
guess who gave the "compliment" :awe:

Lory
10th-January-2007, 03:23 PM
I was told shortly before xmas, that..... 'your a girl I like to try my new and untested moves on, as (he said) I know you'll follow almost anything, if lead correctly! So, your good testing material! ;) :cheers:

I thought that was a pretty damn good compliment! :clap:

Thanks DD :flower:

JonD
5th-February-2007, 05:12 PM
As the lovely Anne and I walked off the floor after dancing a wonderful tanda of five tangos she turned to me and said "You know Jon, there's something about you that reminds me of Miguel Zotto". (Miguel Angel Zotto is founder and principal dancer of "Tango por Dos" and one of the AT "gods").

I replied, full of modesty but secretly delighted at such a wonderful compliment "Well, really, Anne, I don't think ...."

Anne interrupted me "No, seriously Jon: it's your nose. You've got Zotto's nose".

StokeBloke
5th-February-2007, 05:34 PM
A very experienced dancer that I dance with said to me after a slightly fluffed up move by way of explaination "that was poorly led".

Now I took a couple of things from that comment. One, she obviously thinks enough of me to give me real feedback, warts and all. Two, she isn't treating with newbie dancer kid gloves. Three, and here's the compliment part.... the rest of the moves must have been well led for that one to stand out like that.

Me...... Mr Silver-Lining :D :D :D

Little Monkey
5th-February-2007, 09:47 PM
After dancing with Nigel (for the first time ever, this weekend) he simply said 'That was fantastic'! That made me grin.

Last night when I was dancing with a lovely dancer in the blues room at Southport, I all of a sudden got a tickly cough (in the middle of a fast multiple turn on one foot), but still managed to complete it, and stopped right on the break, too. My partner looked astonished, and exclaimed 'not only did you keep going, that was a perfect spin, too!' :waycool:

:D

Twirly
27th-February-2007, 02:32 PM
I don’t normally post on here as I’m not good at blowing my own trumpet (so to speak). :blush: But I had some feedback on Sunday that has kept me airborne since. :D

I asked someone to dance whom I’ve danced with a few times before. He didn’t look too keen, but said yes (good old Ceroc etiquette!). He then promptly started gushing “Wow” he said “You’ve changed – I remember you when you first started, and you are so different, now look at you” (said as he span me) “a year ago I didn’t think I could dance with you” (oh dear – was I that bad back then?! :blush: ). He continued with such comments throughout the dance, finishing up likening me to a woman he knew who about 2 years after starting Ceroc entered the championships and did pretty well. I wouldn’t dream of doing something like that, but just being thought of like that has done my ego the world of good, and was just the sort of feedback I needed (am never very sure of my own abilities, and probably assume that I’m worse than I may be). :D

jive_me
27th-February-2007, 02:39 PM
I had a dance with a guy last night who was a lovely smooth lead, the whole dance had me really relaxed and feeling great. At the end he just looked at me and said "Absolute magic" which left me walking on cloud 9 :o

xXx:flower:

Mythical
1st-March-2007, 07:45 PM
"oops, sorry. I forgot there's still moves I can do and you can't"

Well it was either a compliment or a sly dig. I'm going for the first option. :)

Freudian Hips
1st-March-2007, 08:03 PM
This is one of the nicest things I've ever had said to me. Basically it boils down to that a woman saw some of us busk in Glasgow recently (fab afternoon, if chilly, on Buchanan St) and that she remembered me and thought I/we were great dancers and that was why she and her boyfriend had come to Ceroc!

Isn't that just brill?! :D

David Bailey
2nd-March-2007, 11:07 AM
"oops, sorry. I forgot there's still moves I can do and you can't"
:rofl: I'm going to take a crazy wild stab-in-the-dark guess, and assume that was said by someone with, say 1-2 years' experience? :rolleyes:

What that actually means is "I've seen the move, but can't lead it, so I expect you to read my mind / anticipate / backlead like crazy, because that's what this dance is all about, isn't it?"

It's funny how, the more I practice, the more followers - all followers - seem to be able to do the moves I want them to. There's some kind of spooky correlation there, but I can't quite figure it out...

Mythical
2nd-March-2007, 12:17 PM
:rofl: I'm going to take a crazy wild stab-in-the-dark guess, and assume that was said by someone with, say 1-2 years' experience? :rolleyes:

What that actually means is "I've seen the move, but can't lead it, so I expect you to read my mind / anticipate / backlead like crazy, because that's what this dance is all about, isn't it?"

It's funny how, the more I practice, the more followers - all followers - seem to be able to do the moves I want them to. There's some kind of spooky correlation there, but I can't quite figure it out...

*sigh*
well it was nice while it lasted.

Jamie
2nd-March-2007, 12:20 PM
"Are you ballet trained?" :D

robd
2nd-March-2007, 12:30 PM
"Are you ballet trained?" :D

They were talking about your dress sense not your dancing.
The pink tutu gave it away (said Sparkles)
See you later Mr Woo Hoo

MartinHarper
2nd-March-2007, 01:34 PM
It's funny how...

It's funny how, the more I practice following, the more leaders - all leaders - seem to be able to get me to do the moves they want me to. There's some kind of spooky correlation there, but I can't quite figure it out...

purplehyacinth
4th-March-2007, 09:36 PM
I got some nice compliments this weekend.

First - not sure whether this one was a compliment, but I'm counting it as one: "Do you teach? You have the air of a dance teacher about you".

Second: In a Balboa taster-workshop. I had been in the class since near the start, and a bloke came in just before the freestyle at the end. I ended up partnered with him, and explained the footwork and the connection/frame to him, while dancing with him, and he said. "Congratulations. You have taught me to dance!"

I thought that was a lovely thing to say.

By way of background, I'd never done balboa before in my life!

Rebecca
8th-March-2007, 05:28 PM
So Little Monkey are you going to tell us all about those compliments that made you blush at Storm?:flower:

dave the scaffolder
9th-March-2007, 12:12 PM
I once danced with a large lady at camber and at the end of an energetic dance i said to her in a complimentary fashion.

you dont sweat much for a fat girl.

I should walk without a limp in a couple more years.

This is a joke i would never say that.
XXX xxx

stewart38
9th-March-2007, 02:14 PM
I once danced with a large lady at camber and at the end of an energetic dance i said to her in a complimentary fashion.

you dont sweat much for a fat girl.

I should walk without a limp in a couple more years.

This is a joke i would never say that.
XXX xxx

yes it best not to aggerate i dont think a limp going to last for years ??

Gav
9th-March-2007, 02:20 PM
yes it best not to aggerate i dont think a limp going to last for years ??

Wot mean am dat aggerate artstew83? :D :rofl:

TurboTomato
9th-March-2007, 02:47 PM

I think he meant 'aggregate'. People aggregate far too many things these days.

dave the scaffolder
9th-March-2007, 02:49 PM
f*ck me you bunch of dsylexic mormons.

Gav
9th-March-2007, 02:51 PM
f*ck me you bunch of dsylexic mormons.

Does that chat up line ever work?

dave the scaffolder
9th-March-2007, 03:25 PM
Does that chat up line ever work?
Depends if shes a religous person or not.

Trouble
9th-March-2007, 03:29 PM
Depends if shes a religous person or not.

:rofl: :rofl: on form today arn' t we. :rolleyes:

dave the scaffolder
9th-March-2007, 03:31 PM
:rofl: :rofl: on form today arn' t we. :rolleyes:

Thank you very much.

he says whilst his hair (singular) was perfect.xx xxx

stewart38
9th-March-2007, 05:42 PM
I think he meant 'aggregate'. People aggregate far too many things these days.

cant they get a spell check for a S38 ??

This is no lie my Computer teacher said when I was doing o level computing, try using English rather then your own lingo, things don’t change

he didn’t say ‘things don’t change’ , I just added that bit

dave the scaffolder
9th-March-2007, 06:01 PM
cant they get a spell check for a S38 ??

This is no lie my Computer teacher said when I was doing o level computing, try using English rather then your own lingo, things don’t change

he didn’t say ‘things don’t change’ , I just added that bit

Your doing it again arent you .

You are egggsager excaderat egsagerati. *** you are stretching the truth again.
Can anyone spell this elusive word that we cannot seem to grasp with our limited knowledge of our spoken tongue language?:angry: :angry: :angry:

Jhutch
9th-March-2007, 07:44 PM
Your doing it again arent you .

You are egggsager excaderat egsagerati. *** you are stretching the truth again.
Can anyone spell this elusive word that we cannot seem to grasp with our limited knowledge of our spoken tongue language?:angry: :angry: :angry:

egg-saturating?:confused:

Little Monkey
9th-March-2007, 07:54 PM
So Little Monkey are you going to tell us all about those compliments that made you blush at Storm?:flower:

Well, ok then......:blush:

This lovely lady (don't actually know if she's a forumite or not!!), told me (amongst other things) that I'm such an inspitational dancer, and she loves watching me dance........ And that my dancing is something for others to aspire to! :eek: And the most amazing thing was that she was mainly talking about my WCS!!!:waycool:

She said lots of other extremely lovely things as well, but by then the compliments (and the champagne) had gone completely to my head, I was absolutely crimson, and trying to hide behind Greg...... So I couldn't take anything else in!:blush:

I need to go and lie down now.....

PS - Those compliments completely made my day, and made up for a weekend of very little dancing due to injuries!

Zuhal
14th-March-2007, 12:38 PM
"That was so beautiful, you've made me cry"

Not MJ but TANGO.

Zuhal

Freya
14th-March-2007, 01:00 PM
All that lovely stuff
Awwww :awe: Lovely! Do you belive us now? :wink:

ducasi
14th-March-2007, 09:20 PM

My dances with you on Saturday were some of the best of the night (excluding those with Miss Hips. ;))

Freudian Hips
15th-March-2007, 11:57 AM

And you are a fab lead - had the pleasure both on Saturday night at the Glasgow party and last night at the Friary. :hug: :respect: :flower: :flower: :flower:

Gav
15th-March-2007, 12:23 PM
I went to Ceroc Norwich last night with a slightly sore back, but determined to get some exercise (competitive weight loss eh? :sick:). Some nice moves in the class, but by far the best bit was when I was about to leave early and got chatting to a lady who started a little before me. I've always thought of her as a good follower and a stylish dancer. She was talking to me and her friend when she said "I remember this guy when he first started. Wooden, tense, robotic! I taught him everything he knows :D and look at him now, far too good for the likes of us!"
I know it was partly tongue in cheek, but there was a really nice compliment intended too.

I also had a chance as I left to do the same. A lady who I haven't danced with in a couple of months was there and I had 3 or 4 lovely dances with her last night, yet I'd really struggled to dance with her last time. She said to me "when I dance with other men, I pretty much know what they're going to do every time, but you always change your routine and throw in moves that I've never done before", to which I replied "thanks, but a couple of months ago that would have stopped you in your tracks, now you easily cope with anything I can throw at you, you never stop and it's a pleasure to dance with you".

Being given a compliment always makes you feel good, but being able to make someone else feel that good just doubles the warm glow inside. :clap::clap::clap:

straycat
15th-March-2007, 12:47 PM
Last night, I was asked if I was a professional dancer.... we were at a big band event, and were just messing around to some of the songs.

I like comments like that :D

Trouble
15th-March-2007, 04:35 PM
I got advised that i was by far the best dance of the evening. I then had to get somebody to hold the door open for me as my head wouldn't quite fit through it. :D :D I also got asked to dance twice by a very good dancer that night which also encouraged the head incident. :wink: :D :respect:

CJ
15th-March-2007, 04:39 PM
the head incident. :wink: :D :respect:

Did anyone else, upon reading this, immediately think of The World According to Garp?!?!?!?!:eek:

Trouble
15th-March-2007, 05:13 PM
Did anyone else, upon reading this, immediately think of The World According to Garp?!?!?!?!:eek:

nope that would only be you.!!! - see you Sunday Mr CJ xx

Mythical
16th-March-2007, 01:07 AM
Not really a compliment on my dancing, but I had an attack of the warm and fuzzies, tonight, when a guy who started a couple of weeks ago said:

"When I can dance, you'll be the first person I give a really good dance to"

I just thought that was a really sweet thing to say...Just 'cause I keep dancing with him!!

Alice
16th-March-2007, 06:19 PM
Not really a compliment on my dancing, but I had an attack of the warm and fuzzies, tonight, when a guy who started a couple of weeks ago said:

"When I can dance, you'll be the first person I give a really good dance to"

I just thought that was a really sweet thing to say...Just 'cause I keep dancing with him!!
:awe: What a lovely compliment! :worthy: :worthy:

And well done to you for encouraging him! :)

Little Monkey
16th-March-2007, 08:57 PM
lots of extremely lovely things [/COLOR]

My dances with you on Saturday were some of the best of the night (excluding those with Miss Hips. ;))

And you are a fab lead - had the pleasure both on Saturday night at the Glasgow party and last night at the Friary. :hug: :respect: :flower: :flower: :flower:

:blush: :o

Wow.

I'm speechless...... Thanks, guys, you've made my day! :love:

Still not sure if I'm all that happy about my dancing, though! :wink:

*Ducks and runs for cover*

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Sheepman
16th-March-2007, 10:15 PM
that I'm such an inspitational dancer, Aha, the barbeque connection! :devil:

Some of the comments here have reminded me of compliments the first time I was at Southport. After several dances with nearly enough room in the blues room, with a partner that I've done a few competitions with, this guy said to me, "That's the best dancing I'll ever see." Despite my protestations, talking of people far better than me, and blaming it on my partner, he would have none of it, going on to say "I don't care about the West End Shows, I won't see better than that."

It was a while before I could get my head through the doors, even though the sliding doors were all open. :whistle:

Thank you sir, whoever you were, but I hope your horizons have expanded, and you've now seen much better dancing!

Greg

Little Monkey
16th-March-2007, 11:03 PM
Aha, the barbeque connection! :devil:

Well, I wasn't complimented on my spelling....:rolleyes:

"That's the best dancing I'll ever see." Despite my protestations, talking of people far better than me, and blaming it on my partner, he would have none of it, going on to say "I don't care about the West End Shows, I won't see better than that."

It was a while before I could get my head through the doors, even though the sliding doors were all open. :whistle:

Give the man a pin!! Run for cover! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I think you're ok, too, darling.:whistle:

Whitebeard
17th-March-2007, 12:18 AM
..... I just thought that was a really sweet thing to say...Just 'cause I keep dancing with him!!

Yes, good on ya divine lady; I owe a great debt of thanks to one particular such lady who kept dragging me onto the floor when I really was a crap dancer whose only vocabulary was, 'sorry'. I like to think that, now I'm passably competent, she has reaped her just reward and can enjoy dancing with someone on her 'card' who she helped to nurture through those early so challenging nights.

firefly
25th-March-2007, 09:52 PM
Like most people I find it quite hard to receive compliments gracefully. But one I received last night, that I look lovely when I dance and have great posture, really made my night. Of course it's always gratifying to get nice comments on your dancing, but somehow even more so when it comes from someone whom you yourself have watched and admired and really rate as a dancer. You know who you are :blush: :wink: :respect:

It's also made me think of the many times I've watched people dancing and said something to a friend/someone nearby about how I love to watch so-and-so because they have such great style/attitude/timing/musicality etc etc, but have never actually said anything to the person themselves. I think I'll have to start spreading around the good karma a lot more...

Cruella
26th-March-2007, 08:01 AM
On Friday, the guy I was dancing with said 'Dancing with you is like dancing with liquid oil'.
I hope he didn't mean I am greasy and smelly! :rolleyes:

JiveLad
26th-March-2007, 08:17 AM
On Friday, the guy I was dancing with said 'Dancing with you is like dancing with liquid oil'.
I hope he didn't mean I am greasy and smelly! :rolleyes:

.....or, expensive and exotic - and you end up fighting over it. :na:

TurboTomato
26th-March-2007, 09:21 AM

Castrol or Mobil 1? :na:

Lee Bartholomew
26th-March-2007, 09:27 AM
Was dancing in a night club with a nother male dancer and a few female dancers when me and my mate got asked by a group of girls at the bar if we were pro dancers. I told them I was a pro stunt man and he confessed to being a stationary salesman !!!!

Jhutch
26th-March-2007, 09:38 AM
Was dancing in a night club with a nother male dancer and a few female dancers when me and my mate got asked by a group of girls at the bar if we were pro dancers. I told them I was a pro stunt man and he confessed to being a stationary salesman !!!!

Is that better or worse than a travelling salesman?:confused:

JiveLad
26th-March-2007, 11:39 AM
............... I told them I was a pro stunt man

.....were you just pulling one of your cunning stunts?

Double Trouble
26th-March-2007, 08:26 PM
Is that better or worse than a travelling salesman?:confused:

:rofl: :rofl: rep on its way.

Woodface......get a fekkin' dictionary.:rofl: :rofl:

SeriouslyAddicted
26th-March-2007, 09:14 PM
Got told the other day that dancing with me was like dancing with a ballerina - not sure if that is good or bad. Probably something to do with pink tutu I had on :wink:

WittyBird
26th-March-2007, 10:50 PM
I got told 'dancing with you is like dancing with silk'

I was flattered.

ShinyWeeStar
1st-April-2007, 02:09 AM
One of my favourite dance partners complimented my use of style points today! :really: Style points? :what: Who me? :confused: Yes, really! :blush: :waycool:

:D :D :D :D :D

It meant a lot to me to hear that, so thank you. :hug: :hug: :hug:

StokeBloke
1st-April-2007, 05:44 AM
"Thank you for not stepping on my feet this time Stokie" it's like music to my ears :grin:

Mythical
2nd-May-2007, 12:14 AM
Had lots today! Including: "have you ever thought of becoming a taxi dancer?...I think you'd make a really good one!" "You're a really good lead":eek: and two ladies stood chatting at the bar about me!!

Gotta love those newbies....poor things have no idea, do they!!!:D Once they'e done a few weeks, they'll realise how wrong they were!!

A guy I really love dancing with complimented me during a dance on sunday.....at which point, I promptly screwed up!! oh dear!

Whitebeard
6th-May-2007, 01:51 AM
Last week a lady I hadn't noticed before requested a dance. Because of that and the nature of her dancing I assumed she was pretty new, but not half bad. This week I returned the compliment and we had another quite satisfactory dance, after which she announced, during the end of dance break in the music, "Well done!" I was a bit gabberflasted.

Seem to recall someone else relating a very similar incident, which goes to confirm there's nothing new under the sun.

Also did the twice through and into freestyle with a young black lady (on her second week I believe) which proved to confirm that race has nothing to do with dance ability or potential. Try as I might to do it right, I completely failed to lead successfully. My worst dance ever?

Later I belatedly recognised a 'must dance' slowish track and set off to find a partner only to be intercepted by one of my favourite ladies; very chatty, full on, and playfyul. I was glad to have a second dance but with my hearing impediment failed to take in her, I'm pretty sure, complimentary reasons for grabbing me. Likewise at the end of the dance, where the only word I definitely heard was 'control'. I truly believe it had no association with 'freak' and was, I hope, a tribute to a smooth and progressive lead.

Sheepman
7th-July-2007, 04:48 PM
Last night from a friend who hasn't danced for a year, (but she is so good I found that hard to believe.) Dancing with her, she laughed, saying, "I love your feet, it's like they're singing to the music."
I went a bit gooey after that. :blush:

Greg

Lory
20th-July-2007, 09:10 AM
A couple of days ago, whilst taking a break, I got chatting to a guy who confessed he'd only been dancing 3 months, etc.

anyway, I asked him up for the next track, then suddenly, half way though the dance, he came out with...

"I feel like all my training till now's been on a leading rein around a paddock but OMG, I've just realised, I'm sat on a race horse!" :eek: :waycool:

:D :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Tiggerbabe
20th-July-2007, 02:21 PM
That's brilliant! Lory :rofl:

Raul
20th-July-2007, 05:13 PM
Someone recently said to me

"Well done, you were using the correct leg ...... this time!"

:clap: I've made it !!

Jamie
20th-July-2007, 07:43 PM
I recently attended a beginners review class, one of the guys decided to follow cause his mates were there.. Anyway he reaches me.. Did the routine and he told me I was very good for a beginner and that I was very stylish :grin:

Mini Mac
20th-July-2007, 08:18 PM
i went to st albans last night and a very nice chap called Danny spun me round about 3 times and then did a drop, i managed it and he said "well done." It makes me feel more confident if someone gives me a compliment because i must be doing something right! :D :D :D

Minnie M
20th-July-2007, 09:22 PM
I recently attended a beginners review class, one of the guys decided to follow cause his mates were there.. Anyway he reaches me.. Did the routine and he told me I was very good for a beginner and that I was very stylish :grin:

:rofl: :rofl: and what did you say :whistle:

Little Monkey
20th-July-2007, 10:25 PM
Lily B told me I'm a very good lead! :D :clap:

Rogboy
20th-July-2007, 10:51 PM
Was amazingly given 2 compliments last week at Kidderminster:

1. Was told I had ''a nice light touch''...
2. '' Good sense of rhythm''

Nice to have one's confidence lifted every now and again :nice:

nebula
21st-July-2007, 10:36 PM
Dancing as a man in the intermediate class last week, was given three :D compliments in the row:
1. From a lady who sometimes taxi-es - "You are the best lead I've had"
2. From my dear friend who I dance with in freestyle sometimes too as a man - "You are the only person who leads it right"
3. From a lady I've never seen before - "Why aren't the men are as good leaders as you are?"
Now, I might not be quoting word-for-word, but doesn't it just make you feel nice...:hug:

purplehyacinth
22nd-July-2007, 01:04 AM
Got this compliment about 3 weeks ago now - from someone I have danced with a number of times. (don't know whether he's on the forum or not)

He said "Gosh.... you've improved"
in connection with my dancing.

And I didn't think I had (improved, that is).:what:
But it's nice that someone thinks I have.

David Bailey
10th-August-2007, 04:38 PM
Apparently, I'm the New Seamus.

All I need to do now is figure out who the old Seamus is, then I can decide whether that's a good thing or not :D

Double Trouble
11th-August-2007, 07:57 PM
Apparently, I'm the New Seamus.

All I need to do now is figure out who the old Seamus is, then I can decide whether that's a good thing or not :D

Blimey....! It's like looking at twins.

MartinHarper
13th-August-2007, 10:03 AM
Blimey....! It's like looking at twins.

New avatar?

Mythical
13th-August-2007, 10:20 AM
Last week: "I love watching you dance - you have that youthful bounce":sick: Not sure wether it was meant as a compliment...after all....I bounce???

And several times from different leads at different venues "I like dancing with you - you make me look good":tears: One assured me it was meant as a compliment - not sure about the others.

Someone said I'd make a good ceroc teacher once too - though that's probably more related to the fact that i'm young and fall below the 'obese' category than to my dancing!

drathzel
15th-August-2007, 11:42 PM
i got lots of lovely compliments tonight, mostly about the workshops and freestyle. Then one guy came out with "you really love this dont you?! I can see it in your face how much dancing means to you, your whole face lights up"

nebula
16th-August-2007, 07:24 AM
WOW! That IS a compliment... :worthy:

Caz
16th-August-2007, 07:38 AM
i got lots of lovely compliments tonight, mostly about the workshops and freestyle. Then one guy came out with "you really love this dont you?! I can see it in your face how much dancing means to you, your whole face lights up"

wow that is a fab compliment! i feel like dancing does that to me but it rarely gets noticed! isn't it great to have such a hobby that gives u such happiness :D

David Bailey
16th-August-2007, 09:21 AM

I've gotta ask, what's with the "Left!" stuff in your sig? :confused:

Lynn
16th-August-2007, 10:14 AM
I've gotta ask, what's with the "Left!" stuff in your sig? :confused:I know! Ask Jamie! :rofl:

I got told this week that a dance with me was a 'Yee Ha!' moment! I think that was a compliment...

drathzel
16th-August-2007, 10:45 AM
it was the result of dancing in the car on the way to teach workshops after lots of red bull, only 15 mins sleep the night before and trying to direct someone to the venue at the same time!

ShinyWeeStar
26th-August-2007, 05:36 PM
At the end of the party last night one of my all-time favourite leads told me: "I just want to say, you were my favourite dancer this evening." :hug:

Now that I've regained my composure, I just want to say... you were mine too. :respect:

nebula
27th-August-2007, 09:17 AM
Had a wonderful freestyle night in Ipswich on Saturday - first time there, smallish venue, very hot, but the crowd made up for it - plenty of people from everywhere else.
One chap there told me I was an ace - I couldn't quite get my reply/and/or breath back together, so I just said thanks. Just to clarify - he was VERY good!

timbp
27th-August-2007, 09:57 AM
Just back from Dancemania weekend in Sydney.

Late Friday night I saw a girl I had really enjoyed dancing with earlier in the evening sitting beside the dance floor with another guy. She's an early intermediate dancer -- she follows well, and dancing with her taught me a lot about where I need to improve my lead. He is a fantastic dancer -- one friend told me she thought he was the best leader at the weekend; I mentioned this to another friend who said, "I'm not sure, but quite likely".

When I went over, this girl introduced me to the guy (whom I did already know) saying, "Do you know Tim? He's the one guy apart from you who made me feel I can really dance."

Hot Cookie
27th-August-2007, 07:31 PM
I was told at Fulham a couple of weeks back by a very good dancer that i was a pussycat:confused: ??????????

Still uncertain if this is a compliment??

drathzel
27th-August-2007, 08:19 PM
I was told at Fulham a couple of weeks back by a very good dancer that i was a pussycat:confused: ??????????

Still uncertain if this is a compliment??

I would take it as a compliment

nebula
28th-August-2007, 08:09 AM
Hmmm.... Was that relating to stretchy, soft paws? Or sharp claws? Or swishy tail? Or the impression of the cat that got the cream?...

Hot Cookie
28th-August-2007, 09:11 AM
Hmmm.... Was that relating to stretchy, soft paws? Or sharp claws? Or swishy tail? Or the impression of the cat that got the cream?...

mmmmm.........am confused too!!!:what: Though he did say because of my feline characteristics he'd like to dance with me to a slow number????

Meoow??!!!:really:

drathzel
28th-August-2007, 10:40 AM
maybe your graceful like a cat or maybe he just thought you were purrrfect to dance with!

sorry!:blush:

Gav
28th-August-2007, 11:14 AM
Throughout Beach Boogie I took breaks to watch the Tango going on in the bar. There were a few excellent dancers in there, well worth watching (Sheepman was one of them :worthy:).
On Thursday night, one lady managed to drag me up for a walk (which I barely managed), then another not only got me dancing, but with her compliments and a few tips from Kevin (the other "expert") I started to remember all I had learnt all that time ago.
The compliments and the experience have inspired me to look for classes and to start again. :flower:

Jamie
28th-August-2007, 11:21 AM
I was told at Fulham...

Well tbh, they are a bit weird at Fulham... :whistle:

:na:

I went out clubbin on Sunday night, some Liverpudlian woman kept telling me how I was so cute, gorgeous and had lovely teeth.. oh and I was a fab dancer too aparently and I should be on... (wait for it)... X Factor! :confused:

Now if only I could sing... :rolleyes:

Hot Cookie
28th-August-2007, 08:14 PM
Well tbh, they are a bit weird at Fulham... :whistle:

maybe that's why they let us kitties in!!!!:wink:

zimbabwean
28th-August-2007, 09:48 PM
Well I would take it as a compliment, with him being a good dancer and all he must have anjoyed the dance and you must have made him feel good about the dance and inturn his ability therefore he would like to repeat the experience, "to dance with a good dancer" well thats how I see it, any chance of a dance soon??? as you must be a good dancer.:respect:

Hot Cookie
28th-August-2007, 10:01 PM
Well I would take it as a compliment, with him being a good dancer and all he must have anjoyed the dance and you must have made him feel good about the dance and inturn his ability therefore he would like to repeat the experience, "to dance with a good dancer" well thats how I see it, any chance of a dance soon??? as you must be a good dancer.:respect:

very sweet of you.............though really not sure am that great a dancer:really: though am trying to improve!!!!

but if you willing to risk it........and i work out who you are?!?.........no problem for a dance sometime:whistle:

stairman
31st-August-2007, 11:18 AM
At last I received a compliment last night "you make me feel as if I can dance":cheers:

Other than the usual "Thanks that was nice/good" or "Thanks I enjoyed that"

Or maybe I am so crap that I make anyone look good

Hot Cookie
31st-August-2007, 05:49 PM
.....well thats how I see it, any chance of a dance soon??? as you must be a good dancer.:respect:

If you were at Fulham last night I didn't discover who you were:confused: so no dance...............

Though it was one of those really good nights.............pur r r r r fect you could say!!!:wink: With all the creme de la creme there........

And the after show time was HOT HOT HOT!!!:na:

maybe next week Mr Z.........................

zimbabwean
1st-September-2007, 06:49 PM
Sorry about not being there But went to fleet and had brilliant evening aircon works and goes on till 11.30 so loads fo dancing maybe you need to try that some time?

Mythical
6th-September-2007, 11:50 PM
Someone said to me:
Your dancing style has changed. You've got alot more bluesy, much more relaxed.
:mad: Fantastic, I thought. I hate blues!

whitetiger1518
7th-September-2007, 11:18 AM
Thank you CJ for your comments at the weekend about my dancing - they have made my week and kept me going through a very interesting and knackering :( time!

Vegetable
13th-September-2007, 10:34 AM
I get, all the time....

"I wish I had brought my daugter" (Becos im not and old man)

Ive Had TWICE (2 differnt ppl)....

"You look like my Ex Husband when he was younger" Thanks?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

I dont really think they are Complements tho Haha!

P.s In all honesty, I know im young to dance, But... People seem 2 treat me as if im a kid, gets a bit teidious.

xXKyronXx

Minnie M
13th-September-2007, 03:39 PM
I get, all the time....

Ive Had TWICE (2 differnt ppl)....

"You look like my Ex Husband when he was younger" Thanks?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

I dont really think they are Complements tho Haha!

P.s In all honesty, I know im young to dance, But... People seem 2 treat me as if im a kid, gets a bit teidious.

xXKyronXx

It makes me so cross, when I hear comments like above. Kyron is a naturally talented dancer, with a lovely smooth lead and he has only been dancing about 5 months :worthy: we don't want the older women scaring him off with stupid comments.

How about those women start encouraging their sons and nephews to dance, rather than making silly comments.

There are quite a few young female dancers, but not enough guys in that age group (I am sure Mini Mac will agree)

I wonder if Jammy and Jamie get such comments

MartinHarper
13th-September-2007, 06:40 PM

Ahh, you just need to get your own back...
"I wish I had brought my granddad"

Connie
19th-September-2007, 02:33 PM
I was told yesterday that I danced like a monkey tripping out on LSD :eek:

I was sure I hadnt heard the gent correctly the first time, so I asked him to repeat what he had just said. Yup sure enough, I heard correctly the first time.

However his face was a picture when it slowly dawned on him that perhaps it wasnt the most tactful thing to say.

Me thinks I need to work urgently on NOT looking like a primate on acid when I dance :tears:

Yliander
19th-September-2007, 03:46 PM
from southport - "I forgot how light you are"

Lynn
19th-September-2007, 04:20 PM
From Southport 'Dancing with partners like you inspire me'.

David Bailey
21st-September-2007, 11:25 AM
Coming out of practice yesterday - "Are you dancers? You look like dancers, you've got it written all over you" - from a dance teacher :D
* (and, no, I didn't have "dancer" written all over me, brand madness notwithstanding)

Mac
21st-September-2007, 11:56 AM
It makes me so cross, when I hear comments like above. Kyron is a naturally talented dancer, with a lovely smooth lead and he has only been dancing about 5 months :worthy: we don't want the older women scaring him off with stupid comments.

How about those women start encouraging their sons and nephews to dance, rather than making silly comments.

There are quite a few young female dancers, but not enough guys in that age group (I am sure Mini Mac will agree)

I wonder if Jammy and Jamie get such comments
:yeah::yeah::yeah::yeah::yeah::yeah::yeah:

Dont forget young Joe! and he is only nine! (well almost ten then) But he is already a great mover. It would be a great loss if he was put off by scary women!:hug:

firefly
25th-September-2007, 03:46 PM
From one of my favourite partners at the weekend, a beautiful leader whom I don't have the chance to dance with very often - "You're a lovely, lovely follower...you're innocent, cheeky and sexy all at the same time".

:blush: :o

I think I'm still floating back to earth!

straycat
25th-September-2007, 04:17 PM
After having a lovely dance with a taxi-dancer (long before whatever point in the evening taxi-dancers at that venue are allowed to dance with non-beginners), I was told:

'That was worth getting sacked for.'

Daisy Chain
26th-September-2007, 12:21 PM
The best compliment is when the face of someone (who you think is rather good) lights up when you ask them for a dance.

Daisy

(A Complimented Little FLower)

nebula
1st-October-2007, 06:52 PM
Post-Bliss
"That was the smoothest dance I've had during the whole weekend" Ahhh, bless you, so it was....:kiss:
Another from a teacher "You always put me through my paces." :what: Hmmm, not exactly sure it was a compliment - I thought it was supposed to be the other way around? I am a follower there...?
And another "You are wild. You've got so much power in you.":innocent:

Nessiemonster
2nd-October-2007, 07:33 AM
From a guy at the weekend who declined to give me his name, "You're such a good follower I feel I should learn some more interesting moves."

Twirlie Bird
9th-October-2007, 01:11 AM
Not sure if this is the correct thread for this but I was dancing with a guy the other night who first off told me he'd been dancing for 2 weeks (which seemed spot on) then laughed and said he'd actually been dancing for 18 months!!!! :eek:

Anyway he said to me 'oh you are one of these who are into musical interpretation!'. :rofl:

Cruella
22nd-October-2007, 06:39 PM
I got one from someone I danced with at Daventry on saturday, accompanied with some Rep 'dancing with you was as smooth as silk' :grin:

under par
22nd-October-2007, 06:54 PM
I was offered the following comment.. " Some men you know what they are going to do but each dance is different with you."

Don't tell Mrs Par she's always saying "do something different !!!"

There is no pleasing some.:D

live and let dance eh !

Little Monkey
22nd-October-2007, 08:51 PM
I was pretty nervous at Boogie by the Bay with all those amazing American westies, having only done about 15 WCS classes over the last 2 years, and with hardly any chance to practice. I therefore thought I'd warn my partners in advance, and ask them to be gentle, as 'I'm only a wee beginner from Scotland'.

One amazing dancer said: I wish all the American beginners were as amazing as all you Scottish so-called beginners! You're all awesome!

Another one said 'If there's no wcs classes where you live, you must be a natural. You're an amazing dancer. You can follow anything!:o:awe:

And a third asked me to move to San Francisco, 'cus he'd like to dance with me all the time!:D:waycool:

Maybe my wcs isn't completely hopeless after all? :clap:

drathzel
23rd-October-2007, 12:33 AM
I was offered the following comment.. " Some men you know what they are going to do but each dance is different with you."

but its very true!

purplehyacinth
29th-October-2007, 11:28 PM
I was told at the weekend that I was "a great little mover" dance-wise.

jive_me
30th-October-2007, 01:17 AM
"You're a lovely graceful dancer with VERY wicked eyes" That pretty much made my week. It certainly made me giggle.

Not really a compliment as such but when dancing the other night I was told "I like your nose" :confused:

xXx:flower:

Gadget
30th-October-2007, 02:23 PM
Had one of the best compliments at the weekend:D...

Just finished Lucky/Ruby's 'fishing' class where they were getting couples to close their eyes and concentrate on feeling their partner's movements, then replicating what was felt to reproduce those same movements.
The level of concentration and internal focus through out the class was almost tangable in the air.
Then there was a mass merging dance (you had to be there I suppose) and after it people were saying how 'connected' it felt, how good it was, and the whole "good vibes" thing going on when just moving to the music and the dance.

And then a couple of people said that the only time dancing felt similar to that before was when dancing with me! :D::love::love::D

That made my weekend :flower:

HelenB
30th-October-2007, 02:31 PM
Had one of the best compliments at the weekend:D...

Just finished Lucky/Ruby's 'fishing' class where they were getting couples to close their eyes and concentrate on feeling their partner's movements, then replicating what was felt to reproduce those same movements.
The level of concentration and internal focus through out the class was almost tangable in the air.
Then there was a mass merging dance (you had to be there I suppose) and after it people were saying how 'connected' it felt, how good it was, and the whole "good vibes" thing going on when just moving to the music and the dance.

And then a couple of people said that the only time dancing felt similar to that before was when dancing with me! :D::love::love::D

That made my weekend :flower:

I did that class at Breeze - it was fab - though when it was :drool:I kept sneaking a peek to see who I was dancing with :whistle::blush: :D

Now if you dance like that, methinks I should ask you for a dance ... (that is if I'm ever in Scotland) :D

Steven666
30th-October-2007, 02:43 PM
I was recently told by a venues member of staff that I gave that person their best dance of the night, and that person had danced with the instructor.

Also I regular get in classes that I was the first person to get in right when doing a more clomplex routine twice through. Then the next 4-5 on the trot in turn say the same. Or they say that they are glad they are being lead by me as I always know what I'm doing.

I like to believe it is all true anyway.

Little Monkey
30th-October-2007, 07:07 PM
Ok, I'm only just starting to descend back to earth from my fluffy little cloud after all the compliments I got at Blaze II.

Several people came up to me over the weekend and told me that my dancing was so good they 'couldn't take their eyes off me'!:what:

But the ones that sent me straight to cloud number nine were from Michael Kielbasa in the private class with him. The first one was 'You're hot, girl!' :waycool: He also told me I'm 'a really great spinner', and have the right body control, head movements and technique! :D

Oh, but he also told me 'You've got to stop being so hard on yourself, girl!' :blush:

Ooooh, and I was also told by a couple of guys (extremely good dancers/teachers) that their dances with me were among the most memorable dances they'd had that weekend/for a long time. :D

Head needs deflating, methinks. It's getting difficult to get through doors! :rolleyes:

Jamie
30th-October-2007, 07:10 PM
Head needs deflating, methinks. It's getting difficult to get through doors! :rolleyes:

Your left handed yoyo needs work.. Hows that? :whistle:

Little Monkey
30th-October-2007, 07:15 PM
Your left handed yoyo needs work.. Hows that? :whistle:

Better. Ooooh, dancing with only my left hand was really a challenge. Gods, I'm utterly crap at following with only my left hand when it comes to doing mirror images of the usual moves! :D

pmjd
30th-October-2007, 07:25 PM

It was difficult enough to get your ego into the car:na:

However, I do hope you take ALL those compliments to heart and stop being so hard on yourself.

Right, get back up to that fluffy cloud and don't come down for a while:waycool:

Nessiemonster
30th-October-2007, 10:59 PM
Compliments abounded on my dancing at Blaze, which was fab to hear and a huge ego boost, especially when coming from those leads I admire so much. I've been working hard on my connection, so to be told by one of my new favourite dancers that he was leading me swaying in a blues move with just one fingertip was a Huge compliment - thank you, you know who you are!

I also received a hugely boosting compliment on my leading from a follow whom I admire and respect.

A thoroughly positive experience! :D

StokeBloke
30th-October-2007, 11:12 PM
At Blaze I got asked to dance, and afterwards the lady asked me if I was a teacher. I thought that was quite a compliment considering the high level of teachers at Blaze! :D

Gadget
31st-October-2007, 02:51 PM
I wouldn't read too much into that sokie: I got asked the same question :rofl: {:wink:}

Gav
31st-October-2007, 03:39 PM
At Blaze I got asked to dance, and afterwards the lady asked me if I was a teacher. I thought that was quite a compliment considering the high level of teachers at Blaze! :D

I wouldn't read too much into that sokie: I got asked the same question :rofl: {:wink:}

:yeah: I once got asked if I was a professional dancer because watching me was like poetry in motion :blush:. Mind you, she took it all back when I tripped over her guide dog :tears:.

Caro
31st-October-2007, 04:53 PM
I once got asked if I was a professional dancer because watching me was like poetry in motion :blush:. Mind you, she took it all back when I tripped over her guide dog :tears:.

Now that sure is a compliment :wink::rofl:

StokeBloke
31st-October-2007, 05:40 PM
I wouldn't read too much into that sokie: I got asked the same question :rofl: {:wink:}Hey! After watching your micro-blues workshop, I'd be more than happy to be considered on a par with you Gadget :wink:

David Bailey
16th-November-2007, 03:42 PM
I got a compliment passed on to me last night. Someone said "He's a great dancer" about me.

Which was good, but what made it unusually nice was that this was in the context of me dancing Zydeco at a Cajun event. :D

Steven666
16th-November-2007, 04:17 PM
A DJ left there station recently asked me stating they liked that particular track.

I'll take that as something anyway, lol!

Lory
16th-November-2007, 04:27 PM
A DJ left there station recently asked me stating they liked that particular track.

I'll take that as something anyway, lol!

:confused: sorry, I think i'm having a thick moment but I didn't understand any of that :what:

Jamie
16th-November-2007, 07:34 PM
:confused: sorry, I think i'm having a thick moment but I didn't understand any of that :what:

A DJ left their box to ask Steven to dance to a song they put on... :nice:

kiwi_clay
16th-November-2007, 11:47 PM
I was told I "dance like a dream", by a lady that I had only danced in rotation with, then later another follow I am in awe of said that she would be asking me later after our first ever dance,, "I'm walking on sunshine...."

Lost Leader
17th-November-2007, 11:02 AM
I wouldn't read too much into that sokie......

Well, I did hear it was rather wet at Blaze.

Mini Mac
18th-November-2007, 11:21 AM
Recently at hammersmith i was told that "i danced like a fairy", i was a bit puzzled so the man said, because your so light on your feet!

I also got another compliment at st albans last thursday, the man said to me You have got fantastic style!

Something iv been longing to hear for ages!

Rhythm King
18th-November-2007, 01:55 PM
Somebody actually called me "snakehips" after a dance on Wednesday evening...

Steven666
20th-December-2007, 12:37 AM
Someone tonight at Stockport, after the first 4/5 moves or so in the dance, asked if I was a teacher.

Lol.

Jhutch
29th-February-2008, 11:57 PM
Good flexibility:D

JiveLad
1st-March-2008, 01:43 AM
Tonight (Cheshunt) after dancing to 'Knock on wood':

"That was lyrical"

:confused:

gebandemuishond
1st-March-2008, 03:11 AM
T'other week, "do you do ballet? I mean you move your feet like no-one I know. In a good way"

I'm happy with that!!

Dan

StokeBloke
3rd-March-2008, 02:15 AM
Last night a tango track came on and a lady said to me
"You don't tango do you?"
I replied..
"That's right, I don't. I've never done it in my life"
She asked if I would like to dance anyway, I gladly accepted. She told me how she loved to tango. So I held her in a frame and did my best tango impression. Afterwards she said to me... "You told me you couldn't tango, you liar"! :D:D

Damn I always thought that the way David James goes on that tango was difficult :wink: :rofl:

Gav
3rd-March-2008, 09:41 AM
Damn I always thought that the way David James goes on that tango was difficult :wink: :rofl:

He just makes out it's difficult so that the rest of us won't have a go and make him look bad. :na:

robd
3rd-March-2008, 10:38 AM
He just makes out it's difficult so that the rest of us won't have a go and make him look bad. :na:

Does it need the rest of us? :whistle:

Damn, I really should talk about actions not individuals.......

robd
3rd-March-2008, 10:39 AM
Someone tonight at Stockport, after the first 4/5 moves or so in the dance, asked if I was a teacher.

Is that a compliment? :confused:

Maybe it was your tweed jacket with corduroy elbow patches? :grin:

Steven666
3rd-March-2008, 10:41 AM
Is that a compliment? :confused:

Maybe it was your tweed jacket with corduroy elbow patches? :grin:

Good point. But I'll take anything that says I'm not completely rubbish!

Lost Leader
28th-March-2008, 10:12 AM
I was complimented last night on my musicality. Especially thrilled to receive this compliment from a superb follower. It really made my evening.

dep
28th-March-2008, 01:56 PM
Musicality?
Is that when your partner asks if you're counting out the beat or just humming to the words you don't know?

Mini Mac
28th-March-2008, 05:36 PM
i got told a compliment by my friend tom last thursday (the one i want as my dance partner) he told me he loved to watch me spin and was such a light dancer he wants to learn aerials with me!

i also got told that i made dancing fun (by a really nice man at stevenage this wedesnday)

the weirdest compliment i've ever had was when i was at peterborough with dad and this man asked me to dance. He asked me how long i'd been dancing and i went through the whole..i've been dancing a year since march..you know. and he looked surprised and he said "Oh really? i don't believe that for a second."

After we'd danced and i thanked him he told me, your dad's getting very rusty with his dancing these days...perhaps you can teach him?

hohoho that made my night!
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Caz
29th-March-2008, 01:29 AM
Just been to a local venue in Doncaster and had so many compliments that I am glowing :D :blush: :waycool: To be honest I expected an average night and after a rubbish day at work I was not on top form at the start of the night.. Got better and better tho :D

and not just about my dancing ... one woman asked what make up I was using cos my complexion was so good.. I was amazed cos I had no make up on!! Guess the lack of chocolate is doing me some good :yum:

Lost Leader
29th-March-2008, 10:07 AM
I must be on a roll - last night at the Rugby free-style at the end of a dance one of my partners said (in a really meaningful way) "Wow!, that was fantastic". I've not had any really memorable compliments for ages and now I've had two in the space of two days. I certainly don't expect compliments, but it does feel great when you occasionally receive one, and it does wonders for your confidence as a dancer.

fletch
29th-March-2008, 10:19 AM
I must be on a roll - last night at the Rugby free-style at the end of a dance one of my partners said (in a really meaningful way) "Wow!, that was fantastic". I've not had any really memorable compliments for ages and now I've had two in the space of two days. I certainly don't expect compliments, but it does feel great when you occasionally receive one, and it does wonders for your confidence as a dancer.

I had a complement last night right at the end, I was told that they had neaver seen anyone match clothes like I did and it realy makes a differnce.

That makes it all worth while, :cheers:

martingold
29th-March-2008, 10:22 AM

I had a complement last night right at the end, I was told that they had neaver seen anyone match clothes like I did and it realy makes a differnce.

:yeah: couldnt agree more with that statement and i can honestly say fletch when we met you at camber you looked awesome (even if you didnt wear the red catsuit :rofl:)

dep
29th-March-2008, 11:06 AM
:yeah: couldnt agree more with that statement and i can honestly say fletch when we met you at camber you looked awesome (even if you didnt wear the red catsuit :rofl:)Now, I'm wondering what Fletch looks like when she takes off the red catsuit.:drool::devil:

Easily Led
30th-March-2008, 12:54 PM
I'm getting a little jealous of all the compliments Lost Leader is getting recently about his dancing ........:tears:

One of the nicest unsolicited compliments I have every had was the following:

"You are a very sexy lady - can I dance with you often?".

That was about a year ago and I have never seen the man since :confused:!!!!!
(Perhaps it was a little too much for him?)

martingold
30th-March-2008, 03:13 PM
Now, I'm wondering what Fletch looks like when she takes off the red catsuit.:drool::devil:
now theres a thought albeit a norty one :whistle:

wigglebum
31st-March-2008, 06:59 PM
I dance with a male friend the other night to warm him up for his competition partner.

Danced with a few ladies afterwards and they said how lovely I danced with my boyfriend!! I hate apparently looking like will young! lol

Anyway.

A lovely lady came up to me and said "There is a rumor going round that your an awesome dancer!" about 10 seconds into dancing said "They are all right!"

How lovely!

dep
31st-March-2008, 07:12 PM
"There is a rumor going round that you're an awesome dancer!"

How lovely!with an alias like that,:yum: would you give me lessons?:devil:
I want to compete with Aurion.:na:

Astro
31st-March-2008, 07:20 PM
with an alias like that,:yum: would you give me lessons?:devil:

So you have rabbit tendancies. :na:

wigglebum
31st-March-2008, 07:22 PM
I am wondering what sort of lessons you mean!? :whistle:

ShinyWeeStar
31st-March-2008, 07:35 PM
I am wondering what sort of lessons you mean!? :whistle:
You probably don't want to know... :whistle:

dep
31st-March-2008, 08:10 PM
You probably don't want to know... :whistle::rofl:me thinks Shiny and I have met.:devil:

dep
31st-March-2008, 08:12 PM

So you have rabbit tendancies. :na:Rabbid more like. The animal in me wanting to be let loose.

ShinyWeeStar
1st-April-2008, 09:44 AM
Last night I danced with a fab wee dancer, very experienced and great at leading and following, who told me I had a wonderful lead... :D

Unfortunately, this may have been slightly more believable if the aforementioned follow hadn't spent half the dance collapsing with laughter at me waving my leading hand indecisively in the air. :rolleyes: Scarred for life I am :whistle:and never leading again.

Well, not till tomorrow at least. :wink:

Little Monkey
1st-April-2008, 06:11 PM
Last night I danced with a fab wee dancer, very experienced and great at leading and following, who told me I had a wonderful lead... :D

Unfortunately, this may have been slightly more believable if the aforementioned follow hadn't spent half the dance collapsing with laughter at me waving my leading hand indecisively in the air. :rolleyes: Scarred for life I am and never leading again.

Well, not till tomorrow at least. :wink:

How terribly roode!!! :rofl:

Sounds like a complete hotshot to me...... :whistle:

Freudian Hips
1st-April-2008, 07:36 PM
I was dancing in a venue I'd haven't been to before and was told by one dance partner, "You dance beautifully. You are so elegant". I proudly repeated this to the friend I came with. He looked puzzled and said, "Elegant isn't quite the word I would have chosen ....." and went off to dance with someone else!! :confused: :tears:

robd
1st-April-2008, 07:58 PM
I was dancing in a venue I'd haven't been to before and was told by one dance partner, "You dance beautifully. You are so elegant". I proudly repeated this to the friend I came with. He looked puzzled and said, "Elegant isn't quite the word I would have chosen ....." and went off to dance with someone else!! :confused: :tears:

Perhaps he misheard 'elegant' as 'elephant'? :confused:

I had a nice compliment on a recent visit to a venue I used to be a regular at but which I don't go to very often now when a lady said to me that when she danced with me she felt graceful 'like it's supposed to feel'.

Cruella
1st-April-2008, 11:26 PM
I had a nice compliment on a recent visit to a venue I used to be a regular at but which I don't go to very often now when a lady said to me that when she danced with me she felt graceful 'like it's supposed to feel'.

Sure it wasn't her asking if you were grateful?

Aurion
2nd-April-2008, 02:12 PM

As the lead or follow:wink:

Or do you mean against...
*visualises a hip-hop stylee wiggle showdown..*
:waycool:

Aurion
2nd-April-2008, 02:39 PM
Last night I had several great dances with a lady who has only been coming a few weeks. After the last track she said:

"Wow! Do you dance?"

My response was:

":what:............:what:.........erm......yes..... .....thanks"

I think I know what she meant.. :nice:

Red Lory
2nd-April-2008, 08:31 PM
I've been told I dance like a butterfly, but feel more like a moth!

Lost Leader
2nd-April-2008, 08:32 PM
I've been told I dance like a butterfly, but feel more like a moth!

That's because you only come out at night.

Gary
7th-April-2008, 02:03 PM
I was told tonight that I make every girl I dance with look good. I didn't ask whether that was through skill or by contrast :whistle:

Steven666
13th-April-2008, 12:40 AM
I got told my dancing was "so smooth" from a fab follower.

I lolled. Me, Smooth?

fletch
13th-April-2008, 01:53 AM
I got told my dancing was "so smooth" from a fab follower.

I lolled. Me, Smooth?

get away with you :eek:

she must be from the Midlands :wink::na:

Yliander
13th-April-2008, 04:02 PM
Can I have a go with you? you look like lots of fun - in the best possible way :what::sick:

Brighton Belle
13th-April-2008, 05:39 PM
I was dancing with an older gentleman recently who I had seen at a few venues around the area. "I've seen you at a few events round here haven't I?" he said.
"Yes" I replied
"Do you have your own following?" he said. !!!

My own following? You mean like groupies or something?

When I start my fan club I'll let you know!!

Zara
13th-April-2008, 07:17 PM
I was dancing with a guy at a venue I dont usually go to. Everytime a there was a break in the music, I responded to it and got a lot of smiles and nods as I did so. The guy then started being a bit more musical and led the breaks rather than me sabotaging (:blush:).

At the end of the dance, he said "your a perfect dancer, Ive never done that stopping thing before". :really::what::rofl:

Whitebeard
14th-April-2008, 01:29 AM
I was dancing with an older gentleman recently who I had seen at a few venues around the area. "I've seen you at a few events round here haven't I?" he said.
"Yes" I replied
"Do you have your own following?" he said. !!!

My own following? You mean like groupies or something?

When I start my fan club I'll let you know!!

Tread carefully my girl, I think there may only be room for one Fletch !!!

DavidY
14th-April-2008, 07:56 PM
Ive never done that stopping thing before". :really::what::rofl:Well musicality is not something that's taught from the stage in many class-nights, so if this person hasn't gone on a musicality workshop, or read the endless posts on here about it, how else would he know about that "that stopping thing" unless someone started sabotaging him into it? Sound like you've found someone who might be good at it, though. :wink:

Zara
14th-April-2008, 09:38 PM
Well musicality is not something that's taught from the stage in many class-nights, so if this person hasn't gone on a musicality workshop, or read the endless posts on here about it, how else would he know about that "that stopping thing" unless someone started sabotaging him into it? Sound like you've found someone who might be good at it, though. :wink:

I completely agree. I just find it suprising that some people are not even aware of the music they are dancing to. I blame this on the teaching in that particular venue of course, because you cant know what you haven't been taught. I used to dance in the exact same way before I started doing weekenders, but now Im spoilt so I forget what it was like! :D

ShinyWeeStar
15th-April-2008, 12:12 AM
I was having another go at leading in the intermediate class tonight and wondering why I was bothering, as it all seemed a bit of a muddle. Then I got a lady in rotation who beamed at me and said "Wow, you made that seem so easy!". Pretzel shmetzel! :rofl:

Made my night that did! :D

jeanie
15th-April-2008, 01:15 PM
SWS you're a good lead.. I like dancing with you :flower:

I had a new guy say to me last night 'I like dancing with you cos you make me look good...'

Always happy to bolster confidence :grin:

Moondancer
15th-April-2008, 08:36 PM
I had a nice compliment from someone who told me after the first minute and a half that I was easy to lead because I followed so well....so I promptly went completely wrong and missed loads of cues for the rest of the dance...ooops....

Gadget
23rd-April-2008, 01:03 PM
I think this was intended as a complement...

"I thought you were doing it wrong until I realised you were actually leading!"
{I'm assuming that they were a WCS dancer... :devil:}

(Oh, and :flower::hug: for all the other comments I got over the weekend - even got an offer to kidnap my kids so I could come to Blaze.... very tempting... :whistle:}

robd
3rd-August-2008, 11:04 AM
The one memorable part of a pretty shocking time at Northampton last night was a lady who commented, after I apologised for a move not going as intended or something similarly trivial

"It's okay, I am hanging on in there"

:what:

I'd never thought the experience of dancing with me would be described like that :rofl:

As for the night as a whole, it made me realise that the ability to follow is a bit like oxygen or sex. You take it for granted until it's not there at which point you're desperate to get it back :rolleyes:

JennyC
5th-August-2008, 09:26 PM
But I'm sure she had fun though Rob...

gstyle
6th-August-2008, 03:24 PM
Oddest compliment I recieved was not from the woman I was dancing with but from a guy who was watching me dance.

He came up to me after the dance and said he liked the style of my dancing and thought he would copy the way I danced! Poor, misguided guy :rofl:

Steven666
6th-August-2008, 03:25 PM
I got told from a third ear that I'm good but lazy. Sounds about right! :)

bigdjiver
6th-August-2008, 05:11 PM
I got told from a third ear that I'm good but lazy. Sounds about right! :)I had never heard the term "third ear" before. Thanks to a web search :eek::

BBC NEWS | Health | Performer gets third ear for art (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7039821.stm)

CheesyRobMan
6th-August-2008, 06:06 PM
Favourite compliment: "I like dancing with you, you're really easy to follow."

:grin:

Not so favourite compliment: "You're a real tease when you're dancing."

:what:

Easily Led
19th-September-2008, 10:40 AM
I was dragged out to a post-Southport (I am very tired and still haven't done the washing/ironing) class night yesterday not expecting to have a good time. However, I got 2 really nice compliments about my dancing, one from a stranger who asked me to dance twice and was really good :worthy:, and one from one of my favourite dancers but who is really hard to get dances with as he is so popular :drool:. It made my night and then I dared to ask one of the more hotshot dancers that I usually wouldn't dare (and I only fluffed up once, I think!)

I find I am really dependent on having a great dance/compliment from someone I consider a really good dancer in order to be brave enough to ask the other better or more challenging dancers myself. Is this true of everyone? I really have to feel on top of my game to ask someone who has criticized me previously to dance again :blush:!

dave the scaffolder
19th-September-2008, 05:16 PM
I was dragged out to a post-Southport (I am very tired and still haven't done the washing/ironing) class night yesterday not expecting to have a good time. However, I got 2 really nice compliments about my dancing, one from a stranger who asked me to dance twice and was really good :worthy:, and one from one of my favourite dancers but who is really hard to get dances with as he is so popular :drool:. It made my night and then I dared to ask one of the more hotshot dancers that I usually wouldn't dare (and I only fluffed up once, I think!)

I find I am really dependent on having a great dance/compliment from someone I consider a really good dancer in order to be brave enough to ask the other better or more challenging dancers myself. Is this true of everyone? I really have to feel on top of my game to ask someone who has criticized me previously to dance again :blush:!

Wassa matter mit you?

You is a storming dancer, especially whilst doing blues....Oh I say.:hug:

nebula
20th-September-2008, 10:19 AM
I really have to feel on top of my game to ask someone who has criticized me previously to dance again :blush:!
I find I do have to have a good dance before I find the courage to ask the better dancers for a dance.
However, why would somebody criticize you? I would be put off altogether... Constructive advice is one thing, criticism is completely another. And after all, the fact that they are better dancers does not mean they are omnipotent gods - we just do it a bit differently :wink:

Toasti
20th-September-2008, 04:48 PM
I had the most amazing compliment about a year ago at Natwich. A woman came up to me and said, "You are the most beautiful woman I've ever seen." (Obviously a nutter.) "I've seen you here before..." (it was only my second time there), "...and when you're dancing you're so graceful and elegant I just can't take my eyes off you."

I think she then misread my look of sheer amazement and disbelief as her face suddenly dropped in horror and she said, "I'm not bent, honestly I'm not" and ran off before I got chance to thank her for the wonderful things she'd said!!!

Poor, deluded lady, whoever you are, I'm not bent either but I love you for the nicest compliments I've ever had - dancing and none dancing! :awe:

dave the scaffolder
20th-September-2008, 04:54 PM
Ok Toasti get a picture on and a bit sharpish girly.

In a bikini if at all possible.

Toasti
20th-September-2008, 06:49 PM
Ok Toasti get a picture on and a bit sharpish girly.

In a bikini if at all possible.

Don't get too excited Mr Scaffolder - you saw me at Southport!

I was dancing with Mikey and one of his moves was a little inappropriate, er I mean, even more inappropriate than some of his others. :really: I said, "I'm sure that was illegal", so he danced me over to you and said, "Dave, just confirm to this woman that if it's on the beat it's legal!"

You boys don't half stick together! :doh:

dave the scaffolder
20th-September-2008, 06:55 PM
Don't get too excited Mr Scaffolder - you saw me at Southport!

I was dancing with Mikey and one of his moves was a little inappropriate, er I mean, even more inappropriate than some of his others. :really: I said, "I'm sure that was illegal", so he danced me over to you and said, "Dave, just confirm to this woman that if it's on the beat it's legal!"

You boys don't half stick together! :doh:

I remember that, a bikini shot is even more desirable now my lovely.

Toasti
21st-September-2008, 12:01 AM
Yeh right, you'll tell me anything :rolleyes:

You didn't ask me to dance though :tears:

dave the scaffolder
21st-September-2008, 02:23 PM
Yeh right, you'll tell me anything :rolleyes:

You didn't ask me to dance though :tears:

Course I will tell you anything...I am a man!!!!!

Oh baby please ask me to dance as I have a memory of a Goldfish and forget most of what has happened in about 10 mins.:doh:

Astro
21st-September-2008, 05:29 PM
Oh baby please ask me to dance as I have a memory of a Goldfish and forget most of what has happened in about 10 mins.:doh:

I can't hear what dancers say to me, unless they know I'm deaf and speak clearly.

I often wonder what the others say........

Lost Leader
26th-September-2008, 07:46 PM
I was lucky enough to receive a special compliment at Southport in the blues room early on Saturday afternoon. I am afraid I don't know the name of the lady concerned but she was a really lovely dancer. I cannot quite recall her exact words, but at the end of the dance she thanked me saying that the particular track was a very special and emotional one for her and that I had danced it really well.

It is always great to be told something as nice as this at the end of a dance so :hug: and :flower: to whoever it was. I am sure that most of us could make more of an effort to compliment our partners (and I am as guilty as anyone). There are lots of reasons why we mean to do it but don't quite manage to often enough, however the feeling one gets when one receives a complement like the one above is sooo good :nice: that it makes you realise that you really should make more of an effort to hand out some real compliments yourself when you have really enjoyed a dance.

Moondancer
2nd-December-2008, 05:04 PM
On Saturday at Rugby (brilliant night, btw, and this was a one-off) the floor was busy and I danced with a guy who seemed to have no floorcraft at all. I had a couple of minor bumps and a few near misses - you’ll guess by now that this lead wasn’t a great dancer. He seemed totally oblivious of the problems he was causing, and I felt like I needed eyes in the back of the helmet I wished I was wearing (…certainly made me appreciate the skill of other leads that night.)

Near the end of what seemed like an incredibly long and tedious dance he pushed me right into someone else and I had to do an emergency stop and reverse to avoid a major crash. Being a polite creature, I didn’t tell him what a stupid #### he was but I couldn’t help giving him a bit of a look, thinking that even he couldn’t fail to realise I had just averted a major pileup even though it had aborted his move halfway through. He just beamed at me and said in a patronising tone: “That’s right, love, you’re getting the hang of it now!”

Well, that's nice to know then.

:eyebrow:

Lory
2nd-December-2008, 07:44 PM
in a patronising tone: “That’s right, love, you’re getting the hang of it now!” [/SIZE][/FONT]

Is he still alive?

Cruella
2nd-December-2008, 07:48 PM
“That’s right, love, you’re getting the hang of it now!”

Maybe he meant 'the hang of' avoiding the crashes!

martingold
2nd-December-2008, 07:51 PM
He just beamed at me and said in a patronising tone: “That’s right, love, you’re getting the hang of it now!”

Well, that's nice to know then.

:eyebrow:

and that was a compliment????? :what:

Is he still alive?
ha i know if you were there he wouldnt be lol

David Bailey
2nd-December-2008, 09:13 PM
"Sorry, I'd forgotten what it was like to be led" :D

Moondancer
3rd-December-2008, 02:24 PM
Is he still alive?

I'm such a wuss I didn't say anything! But I was so taken aback by his reaction because I'm sure he meant it as a compliment and was oblivious to what was actually going on. The stupid thing was that the move which prompted the compliment was totally aborted, as opposed to me managing to wriggle out of the way of the traffic and complete what he was trying to get me to do, albeit not very well, which was what I’d managed to do for most of the dance.

I am getting better though, taking the advice of the forum I did stand up to a yanker recently: I stopped him early on and told him his lead was rather too strong. He said “Thank you”, so I said "No, I mean you're hurting me." He retorted rather indignantly that he had been dancing for 12 years (obviously that made it alright to hurt me and it was my fault I was in pain) so I just repeated that he really was hurting me. I think he would have liked to walk off the floor there and then but we finished the dance with him leading nicely (but no eye contact), then he vanished at the end faster than you could say …er…“yanker”. What a difference in the lead though, I could actually dance, as opposed to concentrating on not being pulled over. I got someone else to dance with him later, and she agreed about the yanking but didn’t like to say anything.

My appropriate course of action in both cases should probably have been to get my tall blonde feisty friend-who-takes-no-prisoners to have danced with them both! :stirring:

martingold
3rd-December-2008, 03:01 PM
I am getting better though, taking the advice of the forum I did stand up to a yanker recently: I stopped him early on and told him his lead was rather too strong. He said “Thank you”, so I said "No, I mean you're hurting me."

snip

, and she agreed about the yanking but didn’t like to say anything.

a little trick you can do here is perhaps to relax your follow in such a way that he cant yank your arm or if he does all that happens is his arm moves back
i do this with follows who are too stiff and yank back rather than building the tension just relax it a bit
now i am not saying its your fault just that you can sort it out without having to say anything if you wish to do so

My appropriate course of action in both cases should probably have been to get my tall blonde feisty friend-who-takes-no-prisoners to have danced with them both! :stirring:
:lol: love it

Kel_Warminster
3rd-December-2008, 03:03 PM
I was told at my last freestyle that "dancing with you is a real white-knuckle ride, exciting and unpredictable".

I think its a compliment, well, it made my night :)

martingold
3rd-December-2008, 03:04 PM
I was told at my last freestyle that "dancing with you is a real white-knuckle ride, exciting and unpredictable".

I think its a compliment, well, it made my night :)
well i have danced with you and ................. :na:

tiger
3rd-December-2008, 06:36 PM
"Sorry, I'd forgotten what it was like to be led" :D

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Whitebeard
3rd-December-2008, 07:15 PM
Suppose my partner, of boundless experience (being the night's boss an' all), kindly requested a penultimate dance with me, an unknown quantity, and then sang along to the very familiar (even to me) track throughout the dance.

Should I take this as a compliment to my unexpectedly lyrical and tuneful dancing ?

Or, should I see this deep immersion in the musical content as an attempt to remedy the very real deficiencies of my dancing ?

And, even if the former, can this negate a confidence sapping and unprecedented run of three turn-downs that night ?

Kel_Warminster
4th-December-2008, 10:30 AM
Suppose my partner, of boundless experience (being the night's boss an' all), kindly requested a penultimate dance with me, an unknown quantity, and then sang along to the very familiar (even to me) track throughout the dance.

Should I take this as a compliment to my unexpectedly lyrical and tuneful dancing ?

Or, should I see this deep immersion in the musical content as an attempt to remedy the very real deficiencies of my dancing ?

And, even if the former, can this negate a confidence sapping and unprecedented run of three turn-downs that night ?

Well, they were three unlucky people to miss dancing with you hun :hug:

I sometimes find myself singing along to the tune, especially if its a favourite. Can't speak for other people, but I usually only hum/sing along while dancing if I am happy and confident with my partner. For me. it means I can relax into the lead enough to enjoy both the music and the dance!

Hope this helps Whitebeard :)

Kel x

Lory
4th-December-2008, 12:03 PM
I sometimes find myself singing along to the tune, especially if its a favourite. Can't speak for other people, but I usually only hum/sing along while dancing if I am happy and confident with my partner.

I think we had a thread on 'singing' while dancing somewhere. I'm one of those who can't help singing.... even if I don't know the real words :sick::blush::D

Trouble
4th-December-2008, 12:14 PM
I think we had a thread on 'singing' while dancing somewhere. I'm one of those who can't help singing.... even if I don't know the real words :sick::blush::D

Im a la la la girl also. :D

nebula
4th-December-2008, 12:59 PM
Me too - if I am enjoying the dance, and even not knowing the words, enjoying the music, I find myself singing to it - or humming :)

Allez-Cat
4th-December-2008, 04:07 PM
Danced at Luton this last Tuesday with a visiting dynamo from Buckingham. She referred to the dances we had as "awesome". Moi? Not even my mother ever referred to me as "awesome" (well, actually she did, but in another context .... :D). I'm still waiting for the dream to evaporate ....

Easily Led
4th-January-2009, 05:27 PM
Last night someone said I was "Licensed to thrill". I think that is a good thing :confused: :blush:?

gamebird
4th-January-2009, 09:52 PM
I was told I looked "almost spohiticated" - there were a few others, all from the same guy, all in a similar vein. Luckily he's a nice dancer and I was in a good mood:wink:

Daisy Chain
11th-January-2009, 11:47 AM
Last night, a complete stranger told me that I was lightfingered. :what: How could he deduce that from a dance?

Daisy

(A Dishonest Little Flower)

under par
11th-January-2009, 11:56 AM
I was told I had the most amazing nipples whilst out dancing last night...:lol:

Maxine
11th-January-2009, 11:59 AM
I was told I had the most amazing nipples whilst out dancing last night...:lol:

Was that when you were dressed as a rather attractive but extremely tall woman (photos later):wink:

Lost Leader
3rd-May-2009, 12:49 PM
I danced with a complete stranger and Banbury who, though perhaps not that experienced, followed really well. At the end of the dance she said that I was a "brilliant dancer". Lovely to hear, but so not true!

Any compliment is of course always very welcome and appreciated, but if it comes from a really good dancer you admire and respect then it is especially to be treasured. I have been lucky enough to have a couple of such complements recently. At the Rugby ball I danced with one of the best dancers there to a fastish swing track in the blues room. It did seem to go pretty well and at the end of the dance she said "You are very good" which made my night. Most recently as the Daventry free-style I was told by an absolutely fab follower I had not danced with for some months, whose dancing is widely admired, that my dancing had really improved.