PDA

View Full Version : Monster Jive Cocktail 25th/27th June - Bisley

RobC
29th-April-2004, 02:33 PM
Monster Jive Cocktail 8

Friday 25th - Sunday 27th June 2004

Monster jive Cocktail is a whole weekend of dance fun for Cerocers, modern jivers and swing dancers.

During the Saturday and Sunday there will be 42 workshops to choose between in 4 rooms in modern jive, and related styles including lindy hop, jazz, west coast swing, and tap.

In the evenings there will be 3 rooms of dancing:
The Monster Swing Ball, the Modern Jive Disco, and the Latin & Blues Room.

For more info, including the teacher line-up and workshop program, and booking info, see www.monsterjivecocktail.co.uk (http://www.monsterjivecocktail.co.uk/)

Graham W
29th-April-2004, 03:13 PM
..thanks Rob.. its a great event...

(I'll kick of my first dance of the evening with the move on the opening web page.. :-))

G

why arent Dave & Lily teaching..?
Gr8 to c Adam & tas there thu - saw there new cabaret (?) at Yeovil recently - its even better then the last one!!

Gus
29th-April-2004, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by RobC
Monster Jive Cocktail 8

Friday 25th - Sunday 27th June 2004
For more info, including the teacher line-up and workshop program, and booking info, see www.monsterjivecocktail.co.uk (http://www.monsterjivecocktail.co.uk/)

Great news and great line up. Must admit I'd heard a (obviously erroneous) rumour that only Ceroc teachers would be teachng .... reassuring to see such a wide range of skills on display. Nice to see Mr & Mrs Ceroc teaching ... should be well worth the money.

..... now just got to scrape together the sheckels to afford to get down to the Deep South where the roads are paved with gold etc. etc.:wink:

RobC
13th-May-2004, 02:23 PM
Did I mention that you can book online and even pay by credit card over the phone ?

Check out www.monsterjivecocktail.co.uk (http://www.monsterjivecocktail.co.uk/) for more info.

And what can I say about the Teacher / DJ line-up. See for yourself:
Ryan Francois & Jenny Thomas
Joseph & Trisha
Dan Baines
James & Bridget Hamilton
Adam Crewe & Tas Beckett
Viktor
Richard Holland
Mick Wenger
Kate Miles
Paul & Jodie
Adam & Mandy Nathanson
Tony & Paula Levy
Mike & Linda Ellard
Gordon & Sally
Rob May
Karen Skilling

Rob McKim
Laurence Ward
Peter Phillips
Annalisa & Ivan Martin
Paul Brooks
Adam Crewe
Greg Davidson
Sally

I think the highlight for me is going to be the Stomp class with our very own Dan Baines. :cheers:

spindr
13th-May-2004, 04:01 PM
Should be good -- looking forward to lots of WCS, Lindy and Tango -- hope that the DJs are prepared for lots of requests for those styles :)

Though, I bet the video's not as good as last year :)

SpinDr

P.S. You did mention the £2 per person booking fee for booking by credit card over the phone, didn't you Rob?

Lounge Lizard
13th-May-2004, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by spindr
Should be good -- looking forward to lots of WCS, Lindy and Tango -- hope that the DJs are prepared for lots of requests for those styles :)

Though, I bet the video's not as good as last year :)

SpinDr

P.S. You did mention the £2 per person booking fee for booking by credit card over the phone, didn't you Rob? requests are welcome.............not sure if we will take any notice but please feel free to ask away:wink: :wink:
p

spindr
13th-May-2004, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by Lounge Lizard
requests are welcome.............not sure if we will take any notice but please feel free to ask away:wink: :wink:
p

And then you complain that no one gives you feedback? :)

More seriously, it seems daft to arrange w/shops in WCS/ cha-cha-cha / hip-hop / salsa / lambada / tango and then expect that no one will want to freestyle them in the evening?

Anyway, I suggest you consult the sexiest Bisley DJ for WCS -- tho' I reckon JZ's "99 problems" should work for WCS/hip-hop; and maybe Sting's "Fields of Gold" for Tango/Blues crossover (there's a nice definite click that ties in well with AT). Maybe a couple of Gotan tracks for the tango purists :)

Maybe that'd make a nice thread -- crossover tracks?

SpinDr.

Sheepman
14th-May-2004, 10:27 AM
I suggest you consult the sexiest Bisley DJ for WCS -- tho' I reckon JZ's "99 problems" Does Marilene have that track then? Not one I know.

Hasn't the crossover thread been done before? (No time to search for it now.)

Greg

stewart38
18th-May-2004, 01:00 PM
Is anyone going to the Bisley Jive weekend in mid June ?

I cant seem to find much out about it

Its not far from where I live and hence isnt on the coast :confused:

Not sure what nos are likely to attend who is teaching /DJs etc

Can you just turn up for the evening etc

Danger Mouse
18th-May-2004, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by stewart38
Is anyone going to the Bisley Jive weekend in mid June ?

I cant seem to find much out about it

Its not far from where I live and hence isnt on the coast :confused:

Not sure what nos are likely to attend who is teaching /DJs etc

Can you just turn up for the evening etc

try

http://www.monsterjivecocktail.co.uk

spindr
18th-May-2004, 01:06 PM
I believe that this covered in the Monster Jive Cocktail thread: http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2846

Previously years have been pretty good -- and presumably will be even better now that it's a Ceroc event...

If you want a preview get hold of last year's video/DVD.

SpinDr.

Simon r
18th-May-2004, 01:13 PM
Got to say last year was spot on and of course who could miss Dan Baines
He is my god:D

Gus
18th-May-2004, 01:37 PM
Previously years have been pretty good -- and presumably will be even better now that it's a Ceroc event....

SpinDr.

Just curious ... why would it be better now its a Ceroc event????:confused:

Lounge Lizard
18th-May-2004, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by Simon r
Got to say last year was spot on and of course who could miss Dan Baines
He is my god:D but Dan was outdone last year by Glen, how good was he!!!

Lounge Lizard
18th-May-2004, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by Gus
Just curious ... why would it be better now its a Ceroc event????:confused:
Cos Mike Ellard, Mick and Adam are teaching perhaps :wink: :wink:

I dunno, looks the same to me, I like the idea of a Latin-Jive room tho
pp

TheTramp
18th-May-2004, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by Lounge Lizard

pp That'd help. 3 very good teachers.....

There's also the backup that Ceroc can offer, with the additional advertising etc. (if they are doing that).

Trampy

ChrisA
18th-May-2004, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by TheTramp
That'd help. 3 very good teachers.....

There's also the backup that Ceroc can offer, with the additional advertising etc. (if they are doing that).

Trampy
True. And maybe a few very good teachers that would not now be invited? :devil:

Geordieed
18th-May-2004, 03:11 PM
For anyone who has not seen Paul and Jodie then I look forward to the surprise.

I would put Paul in my top 5 best teachers that I have personally experienced. He is not a Ceroc teacher so you will be learning something different.

Glen is one hell of a dancer (look at last years DVD, they were showing it at the Ceroc champs this year). For anyone who missed that he can be seen in his new band doing the promo circuit and the music shows on tv. Last weekend felt like it was dedicated to his band.

stewart38
18th-May-2004, 04:48 PM
If this is going to be a long thread maybe someone can amend title as I see its end of June not mid June ?

Do many stay on site ?

spindr
18th-May-2004, 06:20 PM
Do many stay on site ?

No, but I've used the showers there -- charitably described as basic, but free :)

SpinDr.

Barry Shnikov
18th-May-2004, 08:46 PM
Quite fancy this - is anyone else here going?

Paul F
18th-May-2004, 09:29 PM
Oh my god.

I honestly had no idea this was going on :what: :what:

Just looked at the website (when i finally figured out how to get the menubar on)

It looks FANTASTIC!!!!

BREAKDANCING - yay!!!!! Broken bones all round :wink: Cant wait.

This is the first time I have ever seen 'Nightclub two step' being taught in this country. Im sure it has been but I just couldnt find anywhere to do it so ended up learning from a video :mad: Its a great dance.

Some excellent classes.
Anyone know what the accommodation offered is like?? Its cheaper than i thought what with it being in surrey and all :confused:

Daisy
18th-May-2004, 10:16 PM
It's a shame for people who can only manage to go to the Saturday night dance, that they will have to pay £25 each.......this being the cost for two dances (Fri & Sat). It is not possible to buy a ticket for one evening dance only.

Seems very steep to me, unless anyone who can only go on the Friday night is willing to share the cost with you and split the ticket.

Why is it being done like this?

RobC
19th-May-2004, 01:10 AM
Originally posted by Daisy
It's a shame for people who can only manage to go to the Saturday night dance, that they will have to pay £25 each.......this being the cost for two dances (Fri & Sat). It is not possible to buy a ticket for one evening dance only.

Seems very steep to me, unless anyone who can only go on the Friday night is willing to share the cost with you and split the ticket.

Why is it being done like this?
This is a weekend event and we are trying to persuade people to be there for the whole weekend. :nice:

Up until last year MJC used to be a single day event. Last year, with the move to a full weekend event, we gave people the choice to almost pick and choose what they did. This was an organisational nightmare with so many variations in tickets and prices and we found that most people turned up for the saturday, but the friday and sunday were quieter. This year you have 2 choices and 2 prices : All weekend £79 or a limited number of evening only tickets for £25.

Do many stay on site ?
I can't remember the numbers from last year, but I seem to remember that most of the Crawford cabins were in use, there were a number of people who stayed in the dormitories (there is one for men and a seperate dorm for ladies) and there were at least 2 or 3 tents.

One thing I would say is that they are 'basic' and don't expect too much. If you like your creature comforts, I suggest that you contact Woking Tourist Information (http://www4.surreycc.gov.uk/tourism/visitortourist.htm) for details of local B&Bs or hotels.

RobC
19th-May-2004, 01:23 AM
These videos haven't made it onto the CerocPlus or MJC websites yet, but if you want to get a flavour of what last year's event was like, you can pull these 2 clips off my server.

MJC7 Trailer (low speed dialup connection) (http://www.jive-videos.cjb.net/videos/jivebug/MJC7/MJC7-teaser100k.wmv) - 2.7 MB

MJC7 Trailer (high speed broadband connection) (http://www.jive-videos.cjb.net/videos/jivebug/MJC7/MJC7-teaser256k.wmv) - 6.7 MB

RobC
19th-May-2004, 01:32 AM
Originally posted by Barry Shnikov
Quite fancy this - is anyone else here going?
If you hadn't guessed yet - ME :waycool:

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Unfortunately I won't be doing the MJC video/DVD this year due to prior commitments. :tears:

Barry Shnikov
19th-May-2004, 08:19 AM
One thing I would say is that they are 'basic' and don't expect too much.

Are there catering facilities in the 'cabins'?

RobC
19th-May-2004, 09:17 PM
Are there catering facilities in the 'cabins'?
Sorry, can't remember, but I don't think so. You'd be better off contacting bookings@monsterjivecocktail.co.uk for a definitive answer. Food is available on site though, and the venue isn't far from a large Sainsburys.

Barry Shnikov
20th-May-2004, 12:20 AM
Food is available on site though

By food do you mean 'meals'?

NB I will explore the site further when I get a mo'.

RobC
20th-May-2004, 07:34 AM
By food do you mean 'meals'?
Sorry, yes that's what I meant. I didn't stay onsite since I don't live that far from the venue, but there is definitely breakfast available for people staying onsite (cereals and cooked breakfast) and from what I remember a selection of hot and cold lunches. I can't remember what was there in the evening though as I had gone back home to shower, change and grab a bite.

RobC
3rd-June-2004, 02:04 PM
Frank, How can I get MJC added to the Forum calendar ? I tried the add event link but it said I didn't have permission.

annalisa
3rd-June-2004, 02:46 PM
Hello!

I am taking the bookings for MJC. Simon & I have agreed (due to popular demand) that we will split the evening tickets... an administrative nightmare for us but this is the pricing:

Friday Night £10
Saturday Night £18
Sunday Night £7
All Evenings £25

Of course you can attend the whole weekend. We have also decided to take request for Saturday OR Sunday bookings and if we can match you up to share a weekend ticket, then great!

All of this requires a huge amount of work from this end so if you are planning to come along PLEASE can you post in your booking via email asap by going to www.monsterjivecocktail.co.uk and clicking on Bookings. Then at least I can get your details on to the booking form, which will help save time nearer to the event..

3 WEEKS TO GO......!!!
Best wishes
Annalisa

RobC
19th-June-2004, 04:39 PM
3 WEEKS TO GO......!!!
Only 1 week left. If you haven't got your tickets yet - ring or email now. Details on www.monsterjivecocktail.co.uk (http://www.monsterjivecocktail.co.uk/)

Gordon J Pownall
21st-June-2004, 12:16 AM

pp

'Scuse me......I'll be there as well, teaching with Sally - AKA DJ Bunnie

and she has a spot in the blues / latin room as well so get your red shoes out boys and girls.....

Minnie M
21st-June-2004, 10:03 AM
And I'll be on the door on Saturday to greet you :yeah:

Gordon J Pownall
21st-June-2004, 03:18 PM
And I shall be expecting a hug, kiss and a dance...!!!! :yeah:

:hug: :flower: :clap:

spindr
21st-June-2004, 04:08 PM
And I shall be expecting a hug, kiss and a dance...!!!!

Well if you insist!

Gordon J Pownall
22nd-June-2004, 01:44 PM
Oh,

I do .... I do .... :blush: :hug:

RobC
23rd-June-2004, 01:29 AM
Oh,

I do .... I do .... :blush: :hug:
Now now you two, surely this belongs in my hot date thread ? :rofl:

(Don't want Frank sending this thread upstairs / outside .... ) :sad:

Minnie M
23rd-June-2004, 02:59 AM
What's going on here :rolleyes: does this mean I have fight for MY hug and kiss or share :sad: :( :whistle:

Minnie M
23rd-June-2004, 03:01 AM
This is a test - as I have already replied and I got the same response as RobC :confused:

Zebra Woman
24th-June-2004, 09:03 PM
Hey Minnie, I'm going to meet you at last. See you on the door on Saturday night. :flower:

Miss Conduct and I will be mostly dancing to Latin & Blues, and there's a room especially for it. How fab is that? :clap: :clap: :clap:

Minnie M
24th-June-2004, 11:08 PM
See you on the door on Saturday night.

Looking forward to meeting you too :hug: - It's gonna be a great weekend :clap:

RobC
27th-June-2004, 11:33 PM
So, anyone got any feedback they would like to share ?

What did you think of Ceroc's first weekender event ? Apart from this being the first MJC without Nigel & Nina (I think ?) I personally think we had a first class line-up of teachers, mixing international stars and home grown Ceroc talent.

If you would rather not share your comments. feel free to PM me, or you could email Ceroc Plus (simon@cerocplus.co.uk) directly.

Andy McGregor
28th-June-2004, 01:34 AM
Apart from this being the first MJC without Nigel & Nina (I think ?)

On Saturday Nina was with me and a hundred other dancers at a Hog Roast and Nigel claims he was on a date - come on RobC spill the beans, did you pull at MJC? :whistle:

Gus
28th-June-2004, 07:36 AM

If you would rather not share your comments. feel free to PM me, or you could email Ceroc Plus (simon@cerocplus.co.uk) directly.

Accomodation was poor but more than made up for by the excellent admin, great line up of teachers and some of the best dancers at a freestyle event I've seen in a long time. Nice to see a range of teachers from the good (but not A list :wink: ) to the truly awesome ..... Paul and Jodie are names I'm not familiar with but just blew me away ... any idea how we can kidnap thme and bring them to the North?

Overall ... good weekend, well worth the trip :clap:

PS: Adam and Tazz's cabaret routine .... something to savour :worthy:

under par
28th-June-2004, 09:19 AM
On Saturday Nina was with me and a hundred other dancers at a Hog Roast and Nigel claims he was on a date - come on RobC spill the beans, did you pull at MJC? :whistle:

Andy, great night at hog roast :worthy: :worthy: :cheers:

but wasn't Nina with me??? (well at least for 2 tracks!)

Mrs Par tells me MjC was great and she had a really fantasic evening Saturday. :clap:

"""""Hey Minnie, I'm going to meet you at last. See you on the door on Saturday night.
Miss Conduct and I will be mostly dancing to Latin & Blues, and there's a room especially for it. How fab is that? """"""" posted by Zebra Woman

What did I miss with all these three ladies in one blues room. Lucky fellows at MjC eh! :yeah:

Hope you all had a fab night.
:kiss:

Minnie M
28th-June-2004, 10:46 AM
I was on the door from 4pm to 11pm Saturday and 9pm to 4pm on Sunday - not sure if Zebra woman was there as she never came to say hello :tears:

I only had 3 hours of dancing (wasn't there on Friday) but it was real quality - great event and very well organised. No problems and no moans just happy smiley people.

Praise to Simon and Analisa :worthy: and all their little elves (including me) and the teachers did them proud AND the cabarets were brilliant - even the compere was OK (Mike Ellard)

Shame it rained so hard - was looking forward to a picknic

PS: Someone did come over, point and said "Minnie Mouse" - I replied, "A forumite, who are you ?" but they were talking about the very very small computer mouse I was using :rofl:

Forgot to mention, there was one complaint ! My cabin mate (Mrs. Under Par) and I had a giggly midnight feast and the adjoining cabins were banging and shouting at us to shutup, don't know why - it was only 3am, haven't they been to Camber !

under par
28th-June-2004, 11:04 AM
Forgot to mention, there was one complaint ! My cabin mate (Mrs. Under Par) and I had a giggly midnight feast and the adjoining cabins were banging and shouting at us to shutup, don't know why - it was only 3am, haven't they been to Camber ![/I]

She is a very bad influence Minnie, but I am sure it was the paper thin walls not any inconsiderate behaviour by your good self and Mrs Par. :whistle:

spindr
28th-June-2004, 12:54 PM
I was on the door from 4pm to 11pm Saturday and 9pm to 4pm on Sunday

Great to see you there -- I'm sure you had a different hairstyle every time I walked past :)

Praise to Simon and Analisa :worthy: and all their little elves (including me)

You all did us punters proud!

and the teachers did them proud

Ryan and Jenny are just awesome teachers (now where did I put that leaflet for Camp Savoy). And Paul and Jodie's nightclub twostep class was just breathtaking in its grace and subtlety.

AND the cabarets were brilliant

Superb!

even the compere was OK (Mike Ellard)

Perhaps, next time arranging the compere well beforehand might be a good idea. At the time, I interpreted a lot of the repartee as being particularly negative in nature (telling one performer that they should have stuck with a different dance style, asking where the other two members of a display team were, and making a big thing of Adam going back to school) -- although maybe I misinterpreted the spirit that it was meant (I do have a warped sense of humour). I'd have preferred just a simple build up and intro' -- frankly it didn't need a lot of compering, as the standard of the cabaret was so high.

ODA ON: Though I didn't see any "real" Ceroc cabaret there, which was surprising for a Ceroc event? ODA OFF:

SpinDr.

Sheepman
28th-June-2004, 01:09 PM
to the truly awesome ..... Paul and Jodie are names I'm not familiar with but just blew me away ... any idea how we can kidnap thme and bring them to the North? No idea at all, and if I did have - well I won't be passing it on. Paul is our regular teacher at Bisley on a Friday. There have been a number of occasions on a Friday when I've put on a great track, and I'm wondering what's happening when there is just one couple on the dancefloor. :blush:
I've had to get used to it, it's just when the whole crowd decide they must watch Paul & his partner dancing! :worthy:

Greg

spindr
28th-June-2004, 01:30 PM

Rob, is there by any chance the remotest likelihood that there will be a video of the event produced?

Oh, and Sheepman awesome set on Friday :)

SpinDr (cash for questions :))

Geordieed
28th-June-2004, 01:35 PM
Big thank you for the MJC weekend. Congratulations for embrassing other forms of dancing and keeping alot of the spirit of MJC.

What a fantastic weekend. It is not often that we can see one event pull in a diverse range of top talent and all in such a great atmosphere. The feedback from the teachers I spoke with was the same and everyone felt at ease. The teaching in the daytime catered for many tastes and levels. I attended classes that ranged from beginners to some of the best dancers in MJ. The food was good in comparison with many events. And last but not least the evening performances were top drawer. To see even one or two performances like that would cost some money but to see so many was a treat.

Many people had not see Paul and Jodie together before so were pretty much wowed by the cabaret and by their freestyle and that of the other WCS women who came along for that one big night.

RobC
28th-June-2004, 02:03 PM
Rob, is there by any chance the remotest likelihood that there will be a video of the event produced?
Indeed there is, although it is not being produced by me this year. Steve Strong is doing the hard work this time. If you didn't preorder one from him this weekend, keep an eye on the Ceroc Plus / MJC websites - I'm sure details will be on there soon for ordering a copy.

Nicola
28th-June-2004, 03:22 PM
[QUOTE=Gus] Paul and Jodie are names I'm not familiar with but just blew me away ... any idea how we can kidnap thme and bring them to the North?

:yeah: I'll fight you for them! Definately having a word with ceroc central about getting them up......they were AMAZING! :clap: nice to meet you Gus! Thanx for the dance :flower: X

Gus
28th-June-2004, 11:20 PM
ODA ON: Though I didn't see any "real" Ceroc cabaret there, which was surprising for a Ceroc event? ODA OFF:

SpinDr.

I was going to comment on the same. A further thought was that any MJ demo that was forthcoming (with the possible exception of a Viktor/Lydia type performance) would have been somewhat eclipsed by the other cabaret routines (IMHO) .... ahhh, methinks another thread beckons....

ji vep
29th-June-2004, 09:06 AM
An awesome weekend and amazing workshops in West Coast swing and Night club 2 step especially. Paul Warden is a fantastic teacher and his dancing speaks for himself and Jodie too was amazing to watch. :waycool:

I thought there Showcase on the Saturday night was 1 of, if not (in my opinion) the best i have seen in the past 3 years, such musicality and style (amazing). :drool:

I hope to see Paul at other weekenders in the future :yeah:

RobC
29th-June-2004, 09:40 AM
I hope to see Paul at other weekenders in the future :yeah:
I've heard it on the rumour mill that Paul and Jodie are being invited to compete in the Jive Masters. Lets hope they accept the invite - they'll definitely be getting my vote.

Gordon J Pownall
29th-June-2004, 12:03 PM
I've heard it on the rumour mill that Paul and Jodie are being invited to compete in the Jive Masters. Lets hope they accept the invite - they'll definitely be getting my vote.

Hate to appear a little bit cynical, but how can you decide how to vote without having seen the competitors in the heats and final etc etc, (assuming they would be competing...assuming, assuming, they have been invitied to compete)...??? :confused:

Based upon your above post, perhaps a thread should be set up just asking peoples opinions of a list of dancers, get them to vote and then we can save

Sharif of LeRoc
Graham of BritRoc
Dave of Ceroc
Franck of Ceroc Scotland
Nicky in Australia
the Chance2Dance team

etc
etc
etc (apologies for anyone missed out)

a whole load of grief and heartache and get them to publish the results straight onto their respective websites - cutting out the need for any dancing, heats, finals, prize giving, freestyle dancing, accommodation, DJ's, catering, drinks, costumes, music, social interaction, practice, development of routines, new moves, friendship, networking, dancing with someone not seen for a long time and greatly missed, applause, admiration and most importantly...

~ FUN ~ FUN ~ FUN ~

(Not), sorry to be cynical but if you have already made your mind up without seeing how couples perform on the night to the music selected, in the environment, how can you possibly know that a couple 'deserves' to go through the heat or win...they could trip up, break a leg, throw up through nerves, or just simply not perform as well as usual....

(Gordon now gets down off his soapbox...and retires to a safe distance having lit the blue touchpaper :wink: ...)

Gordon J Pownall
29th-June-2004, 12:09 PM
Can I just add that this isn't a personal comment or opinion about Paul and Jodie by the way - Having been to and taught at MJC8 - I though they were bl**dy marvellous and an inspiration...

(Chilled out now)...Just get a bit frustrated by the ongoing arguments who should have won, who was good / bad etc, the judges were muppets etc etc(not the fun ribbing comments but the more individual criticisms) and then having gone through all of this, a blatantly biased and disrespectful (to any other competitors) comment is made....

...hope it didn't put any other competitors off performing (because that is the effect such comments HAVE HAD in the past) !

RobC
29th-June-2004, 01:06 PM
Hate to appear a little bit cynical, but how can you decide how to vote without having seen the competitors in the heats and final etc etc,
Sorry, been hit by the Strictly Come Dancing mentality, where they allow the public to vote before the celebs have even danced..... :blush:

Of course, I didn't actually say I'd place them first, only that they'd get my vote. Having been to many of last year's heats, last year's final and the first heat last month (didn't make it last weekend as I was at MJC :whistle: ) I am fairly confident in saying that, IF Paul & Jodie are in fact invited to enter, and IF they accept, then regardless of who the other couples are in the heat, they will probably blow them away. I have seen them freestyle as well as perform choreographed routines and they are just a fab.

spindr
29th-June-2004, 01:15 PM
Of course, I didn't actually say I'd place them first, only that they'd get my vote.

Rob, if you're going can you do a proxy vote for Paul and Jodie for me :devil:

Gordon J Pownall
29th-June-2004, 01:30 PM
Of course, I didn't actually say I'd place them first, only that they'd get my vote. Having been to many of last year's heats, last year's final and the first heat last month (didn't make it last weekend as I was at MJC :whistle: ) I am fairly confident in saying that, IF Paul & Jodie are in fact invited to enter, and IF they accept, then regardless of who the other couples are in the heat, they will probably blow them away. I have seen them freestyle as well as perform choreographed routines and they are just a fab.

Errrr......what a loads of bo**ocks....

you have intimated that regardless of who is competing, Paul and Jodie would get your vote - this is an absolute travesty and disrespectful to other competitors and the spirit and nature of the competition.

Basically, why bother going at all or even consider the other competitors -

Hey Guys, forget competing in any competition that Paul and Jodie are in because RobC will, ignore you, regardless of how hard you have trained, what costumes you are wearing or for that matter, anything else...

...if Paul and Jodie are there - they've got his vote - end of story......

Absolute and utter bo**ocks..... :mad:

I refer you to the previous posts of mine for why this is so very, very wrong, blinkered and inappropriate..... :(

RobC
29th-June-2004, 01:33 PM
Rob, if you're going can you do a proxy vote for Paul and Jodie for me :devil:
I just got my first negative rep for saying I'd vote for Paul & Jodie :tears:

Guess the competition is getting worried :rofl: (Which heat are you in Gordy ? )

TheTramp
29th-June-2004, 01:36 PM
That's okie. I'm going to vote for Gordy.

I've already sent in my postal vote.... :D

Trampy

Gordon J Pownall
29th-June-2004, 01:39 PM
I just got my first negative rep for saying I'd vote for Paul & Jodie :tears:

Guess the competition is getting worried :rofl: (Which heat are you in Gordy ? )

This has nothing to do with whether I am entering or not....guess your card is already marked for the rest of the heats anyway....

Plus....if I am invitied to enter, then I will enter into the competition as well as the spirit of the competition - what any competitor does not wish to here is bigotted, biased, discriminatory bu**sh*t such as spouts from you...!!!

If you believe that this has anything to do with the competition you are just even more naive that I thought...this is about an inappropriate and biased opinion and having been involved with two major competitions in the past two years, comments like yours have resulted in people withdrawing from competing.

If this is the effect you are after, then I would argue that you are nothing more than someone elses gimp!

TheTramp
29th-June-2004, 01:50 PM
Can I just say, that I think that RobC's comment was probably just a throw-away phrase. And I'm sure (knowing Rob) that if he did go to any heat, that he'd vote for the couple that he thought would do best on the night.

I think that he's just saying that Paul & Jodie are so good, that he couldn't imagine many couples doing better than them, and would be sure that they would win.

Whenever we go to this sort of thing, I'm sure that everyone has their own 'favourites' in mind. Certainly when I saw the first round of the heats this year, I knew (from previous performances) who I thought would win. I ended up marking one of the couples I thought that would do well last, because of their performance on the night, and the couple that I thought would come last, came 2nd on the night.

Lets calm it down just a little, eh....

Trampy

LilyB
29th-June-2004, 02:07 PM
Hmmm...... what if Jordan & Tatiana or Kyle & Sarah were to enter? Would that still be your view on ".. regardless of who the other couples are in the heat.." :whistle:

That is not a impossibility - Jordan & Tatiana will be here in October and Kyle & Sarah have also expressed an interest in coming over. It's entirely possible that the attraction of a £1000 first prize may well tempt them .... I have no doubt Adam will offer them an invitation should they so request it. :devil:

LilyB

Gordon J Pownall
29th-June-2004, 02:12 PM
Can I just say, that I think that RobC's comment was probably just a throw-away phrase. Trampy

Errr....no....sorry Steve. Lines like this upset people...Having personally consoled two couples who pulled out of competitions as a result of comments such as RobCs, he is way out of order.

Engage brain before putting mouth in gear is not a bad way to go through life..

And I'm sure (knowing Rob) that if he did go to any heat, that he'd vote for the couple that he thought would do best on the night. Trampy

Steve mate, RobC - lovely guy and all that - spent the weekend at MJC8 with him...however what you are suggesting above is actually quite wrong.

He has clearly stated the opposite in fact - his mind is made up (so much that he felt the need to state it publicly in writing!!!!).

We could re-animate Fred Astair and Ginger Rogers who would dance in the Jive Masters whilst sh*tting diamonds and pearls and RobC would not give a toss.....mind made up end of story and this very, very wrong if for no other reason than the impact such bigotry has on individual people.....

TheTramp
29th-June-2004, 02:36 PM
I still think that you're taking what I still regard as a 'throw-away' comment way too seriously.

And nothing personal, but if people can't take comments as innocuous as that is, then they really shouldn't be competing in the first place.

And no. He stated up there (in bold), that they would probably blow the competitors away. Which allows room for changing his mind, depending on the performance.

I personally don't see a problem with having a favourite. Have to say that I do. And certain couples would get my vote. Unless they didn't do very well on the night. Or someone else was fantastic. As I said before, I went to the heat I went to, fairly sure of the order I was going to be placing people. And after I watched all the dancing, my order changed significantly.

(My final attempt at pouring oil onto troubled waters).

Will agree that engaging brain before mouth is generally a good plan though!! :D

Trampy

spindr
29th-June-2004, 02:48 PM
Hmmm...... what if Jordan & Tatiana or Kyle & Sarah were to enter? Would that still be your view on ".. regardless of who the other couples are in the heat.." :whistle:

That is not a impossibility - Jordan & Tatiana will be here in October and Kyle & Sarah have also expressed an interest in coming over. It's entirely possible that the attraction of a £1000 first prize may well tempt them .... I have no doubt Adam will offer them an invitation should they so request it. :devil:

Well, in that case, I'd definitely pre-order the video :wink:

Gordon J Pownall
29th-June-2004, 02:50 PM

DEFINITELY.... :yeah:

not much room for maneouvre there..... :angry:

RobC
29th-June-2004, 02:55 PM
you have intimated that regardless of who is competing, Paul and Jodie would get your vote - this is an absolute travesty and disrespectful to other competitors and the spirit and nature of the competition.
So you're telling me that noone else ever goes to the Jive Masters heats with the intention of voting for the people they know. :devil: I think at just about every heat I have been to, there has been a crowd of people that have been drawn to that particular heat, just because they know and want to support the couple competing.

Basically, why bother going at all or even consider the other competitors -

Hey Guys, forget competing in any competition that Paul and Jodie are in because RobC will, ignore you, regardless of how hard you have trained, what costumes you are wearing or for that matter, anything else...

...if Paul and Jodie are there - they've got his vote - end of story......

Not at all the end of the story. Everyone has good nights and bad nights. At every competition I have been to, I have marked my score sheet based on what I have seen that night, and on the criteria set down on the score card, not based on previous reputation or competition success. I also mark each competitor as they dance, not wait until the end, decide the ranking and then make up the marks to suit (as I see many do each time), which on occasion even surprises me with the results I get. I challenge anyone to produce my scoresheet to prove otherwise. :mad:

What I will say though, is as I have probably been dancing longer than the average Ceroc punter who will be judging (I'm guessing typically less than 4-5 years), I am less likely to be swayed by big flashy moves and eye catching costumes. I'm more inclined to notice good interpretation of the music, accurately performed moves / lifts etc and a strong 'presence' on the dance floor.

Plus....if I am invitied to enter, then I will enter into the competition as well as the spirit of the competition - what any competitor does not wish to here is bigotted, biased, discriminatory bu**sh*t such as spouts from you...!!!
CHILL !!!

Can I just say, that I think that RobC's comment was probably just a throw-away phrase.

Errr....no....sorry Steve. Lines like this upset people...Having personally consoled two couples who pulled out of competitions as a result of comments such as RobCs, he is way out of order.
Well if I have upset anyone then I'm sorry, but my original post was purely infering that Paul & Jodie are truely fantastic dancers, and IF they were to enter the Jive Masters, or any other competition, then IMHO they would do well. :worthy:
(I don't know if Paul's achievements were read out at MJC this year, but he has competed on the world stage at international levels, and has won competitions as well. IMHO, that puts him in a different league to the majority of other competitors on the MJ scene.)

P.S. Franck, feel free to move the above posts to the Jive Masters thread :)

Sheepman
29th-June-2004, 03:03 PM
He has clearly stated the opposite in fact - his mind is made up (so much that he felt the need to state it publicly in writing!!!!).

they will probably blow them away. That doesn't look to me like his mind is made up.
Having seen Paul dance, and many other Masters competitors, I'd be inclined to think Paul would win his heat (after all, isn't there some "seeding" going on in the heats?) I wouldn't make my mind up until I saw the heat, but does anyone NOT have their favourites that they think will do well in any competition.

Gordon, I think you've blown Rob's comment out of proportion, as Trampy says, it was a throwaway line. And are there any competitors that wouldn't fear coming up against someone with a world dancing title?

Greg

Gordon J Pownall
29th-June-2004, 03:10 PM
So you're telling me that noone else ever goes to the Jive Masters heats with the intention of voting for the people they know. :devil: I think at just about every heat I have been to, there has been a crowd of people that have been drawn to that particular heat, just because they know and want to support the couple competing.

Not at all the end of the story. Everyone has good nights and bad nights. At every competition I have been to, I have marked my score sheet based on what I have seen that night, and on the criteria set down on the score card, not based on previous reputation or competition success. I also mark each competitor as they dance, not wait until the end, decide the ranking and then make up the marks to suit (as I see many do each time), which on occasion even surprises me with the results I get. I challenge anyone to produce my scoresheet to prove otherwise. :mad:

OK - I accept all of the above however that is not what you said earlier - you clearly stated that Paul and Jodie would DEFINITELY get your vote.

This is, at the risk of repeating myself, biased and unfair to the other comeptitors - others may vote for their favourites etc, etc, YOU put it in writing...

CHILL !!!

[/QUOTE]

Chilling....but please be aware of how comments and remarks can be misread, misheard or misinterpreted.

One couple overheard a crowd of at least fifteen 'supporters' clearly state that "whoever dances or whatever happens, Mr X and Miss Y win...OK...agreed"

The couple subsequently withdrew there and then.....

To quote an eminent Psychotherapist, "the words we use mean more than we mean in using them"

We should all think about the impact our 'throw away' lines, words etc could have to the pain or discomfort of others and even though unintended, it still is not nice...

RobC
29th-June-2004, 03:43 PM
OK - I accept all of the above however that is not what you said earlier - you clearly stated that Paul and Jodie would DEFINITELY get your vote.

This is, at the risk of repeating myself, biased and unfair to the other comeptitors - others may vote for their favourites etc, etc, YOU put it in writing...

Actually I said:

they'll definitely be getting my vote.
You added the capitalisation and emphasis on 'definitely' and completely changed the context of the comment. If I was to emphasise any part of that sentence, it would have been the MY.

I have no problem with publically showing my allegiances and support to various competitiors. At no point did I suggest or hint at any form of vote rigging or colusion to the detriment of any other competitors.

One couple overheard a crowd of at least fifteen 'supporters' clearly state that "whoever dances or whatever happens, Mr X and Miss Y win...OK...agreed"

The couple subsequently withdrew there and then.....

I guess what you meant to write was they heard one voice in a crowd of at least fifteen people .....

And that is why there is 100+ (or however many people it is you get at Chigwell for the JM heats) other people also feeding their scores into the final result. Now if it were any other competition where I heard 1 out of 5 judges make a similar comment then I'd be worried, but come on people.... the Jive Masters is about the majority decision. If the majority like you, then you'll win - regardless of individual's opinions. A single score card just doesn't carry that much weight !

Gordon J Pownall
29th-June-2004, 03:47 PM
Actually I said:

You added the capitalisation and emphasis on 'definitely' and completely changed the context of the comment. If I was to emphasise any part of that sentence, it would have been the MY.

I guess what you meant to write was they heard one voice in a crowd of at least fifteen people .....

OK...I block capital'd the word to emphasise the word you used earlier....

Secondly,

the couple heard (as did I), fifteen people agreeing to block vote one couple to the detriment of others....

Sorry to be pedantic but if we are going to carry this on - we should really be clear about what we mean - don't you think Rob...??? :wink:

Gordon J Pownall
29th-June-2004, 03:51 PM
...and my willy is bigger than your willy.....

TIME OUT ROB...

I think we've kicked the arse out of others good will and we are getting away slightly from the thread - a brilliant weekend at MJC8.

I still luv ya...xxx :hug:

Andy McGregor
29th-June-2004, 04:36 PM
Can I just say, that I think that RobC's comment was probably just a throw-away phrase. And I'm sure (knowing Rob) that if he did go to any heat, that he'd vote for the couple that he thought would do best on the night.

-snip-

Lets calm it down just a little, eh....

Trampy

:yeah:

I agree with the peace-making Tramp. I like to think I know RobC very well and believe he is a man of high moral standing and great integrity :waycool:

Andy

p.s. Of course, I am his Gimp so I would say that:wink:

Gordon J Pownall
29th-June-2004, 04:38 PM
:yeah:

I agree with the peace-making Tramp. I like to think I know RobC very well and believe he is a man of high moral standing and great integrity :waycool:

Erm...I also know Rob C - we spent the weekend together (not biblically you understand), anyway sleeping dogs and all that - thread finished.....

p.s. Of course, I am his Gimp so I would say that:wink:

Me too......when did you audition, were you allergic to wet fish as well.....

:what: :what: :what:

Andy McGregor
29th-June-2004, 05:01 PM
Me too......when did you audition, were you allergic to wet fish as well.....

:what: :what: :what:

The auditions must be tailored to the individual gimp - I had the chilli sauce treatment :sick:

Gordon J Pownall
30th-June-2004, 12:23 AM
The auditions must be tailored to the individual gimp - I had the chilli sauce treatment :sick:

I dreamed of chilli sauce - it's easier to take the chilli suace bottle..... :what: :what: :what: :sick: :sick: :sick:

Andy McGregor
30th-June-2004, 09:09 AM
I dreamed of chilli sauce - it's easier to take the chilli suace bottle..... :what: :what: :what: :sick: :sick: :sick:

I suppose that depends on the species of fish and what you wet it with :sick: