PDA

View Full Version : Blues for beginners

bigdjiver
28th-April-2004, 09:58 PM
I had a discussion about whether Blues dancing could be feasibly taught to beginners, or whether they should learn MJ first. Any opinions?

Better still, any experience? Does anybody know people that started at a blues classes?

Yogi_Bear
28th-April-2004, 10:24 PM
An advantage of teaching blues dancing to beginners wityhout MJ experience is that they would arrive free of MJ baggage. By which I mean they would not see slow music as a challenge, and would not simply churn out a set of MJ moves at rapid tempo at the slightest opportunity. If you teach MJ moves as part of blues dancing then you only need simple ones like first moves and travelling returns I suggest.
At its simplest to dance blues requires very little movement and very little effort. It also requires listening to the music - a valuable diiscipline not part of the beginner MJ lesson structure which is totally move-focused.

Gadget
29th-April-2004, 08:25 AM
true, but MJ breaks down the physical boundaries that most folk have when they start a partner dance. Blues needs this gone before it can be done with any confidence.
If it was taught to beginners, I think that they would have to be partners and there would be no rotation untill they had passed the "beginners" stage.

bigdjiver
30th-April-2004, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by Gadget
true, but MJ breaks down the physical boundaries that most folk have when they start a partner dance. Blues needs this gone before it can be done with any confidence.
If it was taught to beginners, I think that they would have to be partners and there would be no rotation untill they had passed the "beginners" stage. I used to do ballroom dancing classes, and they were UCP as far as I was concerned. I was not aware of anybody having problems, though I would guess there were some that I was not aware of.

How about a different scheme of things? Teacher demonstrates a move - asks for couples wanting to learn that move, and it is up to the guys and gals to sort themselves into couples. This gives the opportunity for a rejection on the grounds of not being sure if they are ready to do that move yet. After teaching the move allow a practise time for that move in a freestyle context, long enough for an unwilling partner to disengage and seek another for the next move. A long way from perfect, but it may work well enough. This could make the blues more accessible to those with difficulties in arriving as a couple.

Lounge Lizard
30th-April-2004, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by bigdjiver
IHow about a different scheme of things? Teacher demonstrates a move - asks for couples wanting to learn that move, and it is up to the guys and gals to sort themselves into couples. I prefer to teach an UCP AND a 'safe' variation, that way all dancers join in, and the lady gets to dictate what version they dance - or visa versa

Sheepman
1st-May-2004, 01:33 AM
Originally posted by Lounge Lizard
I prefer to teach an UCP AND a 'safe' variation I totally agree, the proximity should be up to the lady to decide, based on the "invitation" from the man, even so, I'm sure there are those of both sexes that feel uncomfortable about it. Some guys you wouldn't want to hold even at arms length!

Greg

ChrisA
1st-May-2004, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by Sheepman
Some guys you wouldn't want to hold even at arms length!
As you appear to be discovering... :whistle: