PDA

View Full Version : Aberdeen Jumpin Jaks!

xSalsa_Angelx
28th-April-2004, 07:56 AM
Tonight is the night ...... Yippee ... Cant wait..!!

Just wandered who is teaching tonight???

Managed to brain wash some random guy I work with to make him try tonight to come along to try ceroc :D

Gadget
28th-April-2004, 08:27 AM
Dunno who is teaching - I would guess Franck, but making a DJing return is the infamous Curtain. (or so I heard)

I also heard rumors of a southern invasion... so who's joining us then? :waycool: {OK, so 99% of the MJ population is southern in comparison to Aberdeen :rolleyes:}

Bill
28th-April-2004, 11:42 AM
I've heard Franck is teaching ( so the class might start by 8.00 :D ).

And great to have the old Curtain back again. Haven't slagged him off for ages so be great to see him and start moaning again. :na:

See you there tonight :cheers:

xSalsa_Angelx
28th-April-2004, 12:00 PM
Wey Hey Franck the Man :worthy: :flower: :hug:

Never met curtain yet, so it will be nice too :D

xSalsa_Angelx
28th-April-2004, 12:02 PM
Btw .... See ya tonight Bill :hug:

Must get a dance, not danced with you in ages :D and want to show off to my friend that Ive brainwashed to try Ceroc :rofl:

Lisa
28th-April-2004, 12:07 PM
Ooohhh.... I can't wait for tonight! JJ's is a fabby venue.

It's great to have DJ Curtain back. I knew he wouldn't leave us for long. Paul may need a new name though... there's definitely no curtain to hide behind!

Franck is teaching. A few Dundee dancers are coming and I think Marc and Rachel are coming along tonight too!:clap:

Lisa x

xSalsa_Angelx
28th-April-2004, 12:24 PM
Cool :clap:

See ya there :hug:

Franck
28th-April-2004, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by xSalsa_Angelx
Tonight is the night ...... Yippee ... Cant wait..!!

Just wandered who is teaching tonight??? Yeah :D
So exciting, I can't wait either. As Bill / Lisa confirmed, I should be teaching tonight, and I'll do my best to start on the right side of 8.00pm (though, as the opening night is free, and the influx of new members we're likely to get tonight, we might have to wait until the queue is processed :wink: )
I'm hoping to pick up Marc and Rachel too on my way, so the night will literally be 'Jumpin'

Marc is also doing a guest class in Perth tomorrow night, so anyone wanting to watch him and Rachel in action ahead of the Beach Ballroom Week-end should make their way to the Salutation hotel tomorrow (thursday 29th April)... What a week!

See you all tonight, and Salsa, I hope we can get a dance... :flower:

Bill
28th-April-2004, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by xSalsa_Angelx
Btw .... See ya tonight Bill :hug:

Must get a dance, not danced with you in ages :D and want to show off to my friend that Ive brainwashed to try Ceroc :rofl:

Look forward to it............:D - should be there just after 8.00.

Should be a great night. :clap:

DavidY
28th-April-2004, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by Franck
Marc is also doing a guest class in Perth tomorrow night, so anyone wanting to watch him and Rachel in action ahead of the Beach Ballroom Week-end should make their way to the Salutation hotel tomorrow (thursday 29th April)... I guess that means Marc isn't teaching at Rugby tomorrow night :sad: (so I won't get to ask Rachel to dance :tears: ).

xSalsa_Angelx
28th-April-2004, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by Franck
and Salsa, I hope we can get a dance... :flower:

YOU BETCHA :flower:

Lorna
28th-April-2004, 11:29 PM
Hi,

just got back from the opening night. It was Fab!!

It really is a great venue. It was good to see Marc and Rachel again. I hope your journey up was worth it! Thanks for the dance Marc. You really are a brave man, dragging a pregnant woman across the floor in a dipped position. Not that I was complaining of course. :yum:

Was also lovely to see Mel and James up too. Had a super dance with you James, thank you. (Good Luck this weekend).

I hope everyone else was impressed with the night. (Cool to see you back where you belong Curtain).

Lotsa love Lorna x-x

Tiggerbabe
29th-April-2004, 08:08 AM
It was a FANTASTIC night.

Brilliant venue and some great tracks from young Mr Curtain :hug: I had so many wonderful dances - thanks guys :kiss:

Have to mention the whole troupe of Aberdeen taxi dancers (8, 9 of them?) all on the stage at the one time - :worthy: :worthy:
What a great team, for all of the new faces that were trying ceroc for the first time last night.

And Lorna, I saw you dancing with Marc - you two were awesome :wink:

(and where was Niall? :tears: )

Bill
29th-April-2004, 08:56 AM
Yep......it was great....... and terrific to see two such wonderful couples there ie Marc and Rachel and James and Melanie. :D Managed to have couple of lovely dances with Melanie and Rachel but missed out on Marc and James :blush:

A real mix of music as you'd expect from Curtain - a few were even quite decent :wink:

Just hope all the beginner's come back but with almost one to one tuition from the taxi dancers then they all should :na:

Will anyone be there tonight ????????

Gadget
29th-April-2004, 08:59 AM
Great night. :D

Venue was good - if the floor gets too crowded, just move to the upper bar area :wink: Lots of people, about 15-20 newbies and lots of faces I haven't seen for a while. The floor was slide-ier than I expected {:blush:} with it being a bar and all.

The music was perfect for the crowd - a fair mix of newer chart stuff and 'older' chart stuff that everyone knew. Unfortunately the quality of music went into free-fall when the resident DJ took over at the 'end' of the night. (the place was almost empty within three tracks - he sure knows how to clear a floor!) Only one complaint to Curtain - some of us do like to dance to the very end of tracks: there were a few that got chopped slightly... I'll put it down to him being off the MJ scene for a little while.

Marc. :worthy: There are a few dancers who I wish I could do stuff like - Franck has some very smooth links. Bill has excellent close control. James has a funky movement. Roland has some complex twisty moves. Tramp has some nice self styling. Adam is amazing at seducers. David has an elegance and control that makes anything easy. But Marc is the only dancer I have seen who I want to be like. He seems to have passed simple 'leading' and gone out the other side - he can move his hands/arms and not lead the lady (not a very good description, but you get what I mean?). I am really looking forward to the Beach Ballroom workshops. {...all this and he has Rachel too :worthy:... where is that :envy: emoticon?}

Bill
29th-April-2004, 10:38 AM
Well..........a lot of time, dedication, muscial interpretation and quite a bit of natural talent is all you need :D

Pity Marc and James are not Aberdeen based. They have fairly similar styles and I think Marc is teaching hip hop at Southport. Theirs is more the Dan Baines 'school' of dance - and both have the style and physique to make it look great.

It's great for new ( and experienced) dancers to see how wide the mj styles can be and the fact that it's flexible enough to have dancers as different as DavidB, Nigel, Viktor, Dan, Marc, James, Trampy, Clayton et al.......

The girls must have had a great night - if they managed to catch Marc and James - neither of whom manged to get much rest :D

Sandy
29th-April-2004, 11:34 AM
Well done Franck, the new venue is fab. It was really busy but as Gadget said there are so many different places to dance.

thanks for all the lovely dances guys

Lovely to see everyone from outwith Aberdeen as well as the locals.

Had great fun

Nice to see you back Paul!

Away on holiday next week so wont make it till the following week but see you then

By the way, nothing to do with last night, but Sheena done a fab job of dj-ing on Tuesday at Peterculter, well done hen!

Cheers
San xxx

Funkierfi
29th-April-2004, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by Gadget
The floor was slide-ier than I expected {} with it being a bar and all.Thanks Gadget for the dance - it's not often I have men falling at my feet!!;)

Gadget
29th-April-2004, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by Funkierfi
Thanks Gadget for the dance - it's not often I have men falling at my feet!!;)
:blush: it's only the second time I've ever fallen on the dance floor - and the last time I dragged down my partner as well :tears:. Thank you for not laughing too hard. :flower: (oh, and the dance :wink: )

PS welcome to the forum. :waycool:

Curtain
1st-May-2004, 04:49 PM
Thanks for all the nice comments guys. I'm really chuffed to be back and I hope I live up to all your expectations over the coming months and, hopefully, years.

Apologies to Gadget, I wasn't aware of cutting off any tracks the other night, but my head was all over the place trying to remember what music worked and what didn't. Also you may have noticed a few tracks to be a little loud and/or bassy, but we have remedied that situation and it should be alright from next week. However, if you have any problems in future with the sound quality please don't hesitate to come up and give me abuse!!

By the way, the music at Jumpin' Jaks is going to be a little quirky, just to warn you all. Franck wants to make Wednesday night a little different and also more modern, so although I'll slip in the odd classic, don't expect too many standards in a night.

Cheers
Curtain

Bill
4th-May-2004, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by Curtain

By the way, the music at Jumpin' Jaks is going to be a little quirky, just to warn you all. Franck wants to make Wednesday night a little different and also more modern, so although I'll slip in the odd classic, don't expect too many standards in a night.

Cheers
Curtain

Nothing new there then if you're playing the music :rofl:

And blaming Franck already for the music. Ah well, plenty of opportunity to slag you off again..................... welcome back !!!!!!:cheers: :D

Gadget
5th-May-2004, 08:36 AM
Decisions, decisions, decisions: I'm only let out of my straight-jacket once a week. My regular night is a Tuesday@Culter; Huge dance floor, “regulars”, Tramp’s music,… but I like the music Curtain plays too and JJ’s is a decent venue. :sick:

Much as I would love to go to the two venues, I just can’t :tears:. I think that I may alternate them.

Bill
6th-May-2004, 11:28 AM
Well not as many people last night but a great range of music by Curtain....and at least 2 tracks were quite good :D

Going to be a great night there but a real dilema for those dancers who can only make one night a week. But 3 very different venues and atmospheres and contrasting musical styles.

Curtain
23rd-May-2004, 07:49 PM
Oh Bill, you old tease!!

Personally, I don't see the dilemma though. It's got to be a Wednesday (once I've sussed out how the lighting works).

TheTramp
23rd-May-2004, 08:26 PM
Personally, I don't see the dilemma though. It's got to be a Wednesday (once I've sussed out how the lighting works). :cough:

Trampy

Curtain
24th-May-2004, 10:47 AM
You know it man!!:wink:

Bill
24th-May-2004, 11:52 AM
You know it man!!:wink:

well I think the term eclectic comes to mind :rolleyes:

and I'm sure you'll get the hang of playing appropriate tracks for the demos !!!!!!!:na:

Curtain
24th-May-2004, 10:14 PM
Bill, my dear fellow, I'm not here to play tried and tested. My job is to test the barriers of good taste and try new tracks. Granted I can be a little risque on the demos, but it's all as fresh to me as it is to you amigo.

I'm bound to make some errors of judgement along the way (you can't make an omelette without breaking some eggs). I don't think I've made any big mistakes yet anyway, I'm just keeping the music interesting and you on your toes. If you want me to play the usual, then fine, I'll go back to standards (a subject I believe you have some strong views on).

You can't have it both ways. You either go with the flow or change direction, I'm trying to do the later so give us a break.

TheTramp
24th-May-2004, 11:39 PM
Bill, my dear fellow, I'm not here to play tried and tested.Not even if that's what the punters want??

NB. Speaking totally with my 'dancers' hat on now (DJ hat is firmly locked away in the cupboard....)

Trampy

Gadget
24th-May-2004, 11:59 PM
Originally posted by TheTramp
Not even if that's what the punters want??
It's a new night: nothing to compare it to or follow on from.
Anyway, I thought we had the discussion that it was the DJ's who set the 'feel' of the night and to a large extent determined the punter's tastes? :whistle:

TheTramp
25th-May-2004, 12:10 AM
Originally posted by Gadget
It's a new night: nothing to compare it to or follow on from.
Anyway, I thought we had the discussion that it was the DJ's who set the 'feel' of the night and to a large extent determined the punter's tastes? :whistle: OKie. Re-reading what I said, does maybe imply criticism. I wasn't intending any, it was supposed to just be a question for Curtain.

Of course most of the people there have something to compare it with, as for most of the people who go to Jumpin' Jaks (there may well be some beginners (!) who have never been to O'Donogues or Culter), they can compare the music with all the other nights that they've danced at.

I do agree that the DJ does set the feel for the night in the area that they are in, but possibly only if they are the only DJ for that area. If people have a choice, then they will go to the DJ who plays the sort of music that they like dancing to.

I'm positive that there are plenty of people in Aberdeen who will be glad that Curtain is back DJing, who started dancing when he was the regular DJ in Culter, and who missed his style of music.

Speaking for myself, I'm always happy to dance to things I haven't danced to before, as long as they are good to dance to, so will miss the opportunity of going to JJ's on a Wednesday (as I'm DJing in Stirling that night). This is why I wasn't intending any criticism in what I originally asked.

However, speaking for a lot of people (from the experience I have gained over the last few years of working as a DJ), they like to dance to things that they know, and like. If I'm introducing something new to people, I always sandwich it inbetween two tracks that I know people like, in order to break it in gently.

Trampy

Bill
25th-May-2004, 12:26 AM

You can't have it both ways. You either go with the flow or change direction, I'm trying to do the later so give us a break.

And why not :rolleyes: .. I want some nice slow, fastish, tried and tested new tracks that are both recogniseable and different.

Oh, and they have to be danceable by absolute beginners and challenging enough for the 'oldies' :sick: :what:

No problems..............

Look forward to Wednesday

and good to have you back :cheers:

Curtain
25th-May-2004, 12:34 AM
I've been criticised in the past for not being a dancer. I suppose in some way this is meant to mist my perception of what dancers like to dance to. Now, although I can understand this point of view, I feel I'm an unbiased arbitor when it comes to selecting my music.

I don't have any dancing style preference (I wouldn't know what one was even it hit me square in the face), so therefore I feel I can be much more "eclectic" when it comes to MY night.

The way I see it, is that people in Aberdeen have three choices now, and I'm confident enough in my own ability to develop my own crowd!! I don't need to follow the same old script, so I think I'll rip it up and start a new one. Even if in the short term people are a little unsure, they'll come round eventually and if they don't ...

they always have you trampy :wink: