PDA

View Full Version : New "Come Dancing" format...

Jayne
22nd-April-2004, 09:20 AM
So did we all hear about this on the radio this morning then?

see here (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/tv_and_radio/3646857.stm)

What do you think?

A tired show jumping onto a tired bandwagon?

Or a refreshing concept that will revitalise partner dancing?

J :nice:

Divissima
22nd-April-2004, 09:37 AM
Oh, good heavens..... :tears:

Am I getting confused - are there two new dance shows from the BBC, or is it just this one? I had thought they were bringing back a variation on the old format, showing dancers of all kinds of dance and not just ballroom and latin, maybe travelling around the country to different dance events/comps.

If there is only one and this is it, it makes my heart sink... I'm definitely of the opinion this is a 'tired bandwagon'.

Doesn't mean I won't watch it, though :wink:

TheTramp
22nd-April-2004, 09:45 AM
Oh my. So, we get to watch half-celebrities learning to dance.

I suppose that there might be some laughable value. Maybe. Though, maybe they should get them to eat beetles too!!

Wasn't quite what I was hoping to see though. Still, they may do the other part of what you're suggesting as well, Jayne. Which would be nice.

And we'll all be watching the night they have Ceroc on there, anyhow, won't we? :D

Trampy

Bill
22nd-April-2004, 10:20 AM
Oh good..........another reason for giving telly a miss :D :na:

uk-jive
22nd-April-2004, 12:54 PM
I received an e-mail from a BBC researcher about this last week... I'm waiting for a follow-up reply atm, but here's the original e-mail.

Dear Sir / Madam

I am working on BBC1's new Saturday night prime time show. We are bringing back "Come Dancing" which ran on British television for 50 years. The new series will be called "Strictly Come Dancing" and hooks into the international resurgence of ballroom dancing by creating a live family entertainment programme based around a strictly ballroom-style competition.

Presented by Bruce Forsyth, the format is an old favourite with a new twist. Eight high-profile celebrities will be paired with eight professional dancers. Over eight weeks they will learn and perform both Latin American and Ballroom dances in a battle to be crowned ‘Strictly Come Dancing Champions 2004’.

Each live Saturday night performance will be judged by a jury of professionals and personalities from the world of ballroom dance. The fourth judge will be the general public, whose votes could change the league profoundly. All profits made through phone calls will go to charity.

The reason that I am contacting you is that I have been browsing your website www.uk-jive.co.uk We have a show that goes out on BBC3 every night of the week for the eight week run that will work as a Fanzine show for both our show and the world of dancing. One of the segments that we would like to do is a dance partner section where we help viewers find a suitable partner.

I was wondering whether we could post some information on your website about the show and the dance partner segment of the show. It would be great to start getting people interested as soon as possible as the show goes out in May and June. Could you let me know your thoughts and whether this is a possibility.

If there is anything else that you think might make an interesting feature for the show then let me know. Don't hesitate to contact me on either of the numbers below or drop me an email. I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards,

Laura Buckwell
Strictly Come Dancing
BBC1 Live Team Runner
Rm 3317 TVC
Tel: 0208 225 9422
Mob: 07970 068 039

Divissima
22nd-April-2004, 12:58 PM
That sounds more like it!

Shame I don't have BBC3 :tears:

TheTramp
22nd-April-2004, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by Divissima
Shame I don't have BBC3 :tears: Ah. Well, you can come round my place and watch it if you want :D

Trampy

ElaineB
22nd-April-2004, 01:05 PM
Might be useful to watch as they may include tips, such as where to get your teeth whitened and how much carotene you can safely take to turn your skin yellow.......... :rofl:

Elaine

spindr
22nd-April-2004, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by uk-jive
I received an e-mail from a BBC researcher about this last week... I'm waiting for a follow-up reply atm, but here's the original e-mail.

Howabout, Frankie Manning -- Lindy Hopper extraordinaire and inventor of the airstep -- will be in Gloucester over the May bank holiday at "Jumping At The Woodside" (www.jazzjiveswing.com) celebrating his 90th birthday.

SpinDr.

Gadget
22nd-April-2004, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by uk-jive
Over eight weeks they will learn and perform both Latin American and Ballroom dances in a battle to be crowned ‘Strictly Come Dancing Champions 2004’.
Each live Saturday night performance will be judged by a jury of professionals and personalities from the world of ballroom dance. The fourth judge will be the general public, whose votes could change the league profoundly.
So there are eight different styles of dance being performed, but the judges all come from "ballroom"? Does anyone else think that the judging may be bias towards 'structured' moves and 'over-rehersed' routines? Which is kind of the opposite to the whole MJ thing.

I wonder if all the celebs are doing all the dance styles, or whether it's one per week. And then; if it is, does that mean that people will be voting for which dance style they like? If so, MJ could be in for a huge boost in popularity.

DavidB
22nd-April-2004, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by Gadget
So there are eight different styles of dance being performed but all 8 styles are from Ballroom & Latin. At a guess they will do Waltz, Foxtrot, Quickstep, Tango, Rumba, Cha Cha, Samba & Ballroom Jive.

Sheepman
22nd-April-2004, 02:27 PM
it makes my heart sink... I'm definitely of the opinion this is a 'tired bandwagon'. I'm still in this camp too, I can't see this format providing much inspiration.

Of course we'll all be watching out for the programme with the Ceroc content, but is there anyone who thinks, like me, that what we do doesn't make great TV? OK there are partnerships out there that bring MJ onto another level, and especially to the knowledgeable dancer, we can see how fantastic they are. Though IMO the general level of technique, style, and dedication doesn't seem to match that at the top level of ballroom. (I'm talking as someone who knows very little about the ballroom scene.) I'm basing this on the various bits of modern jive (including that shown on Come Dancing) I've seen in the past, I hope to be proved wrong when this programme appears.

Of course we do have one big advantage - the grins in MJ are (usually) natural!

Greg

RobC
22nd-April-2004, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by Sheepman
I'm still in this camp too, I can't see this format providing much inspiration.

Sorry, but this stinks of another poor rip-off reality TV format program, of which there are far too many already.

(But I'll probably still set the video :D )

uk-jive
22nd-April-2004, 04:08 PM
Further details of the BBC3 program are now available from http://www.uk-jive.co.uk/news-detail.asp?NewsID=276.

It'd be nice to see modern jive receive the exposure it deserves :)

Jon

Minnie M
22nd-April-2004, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by ElaineB
Might be useful to watch as they may include tips, such as where to get your teeth whitened and how much carotene you can safely take to turn your skin yellow..........

:yeah: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

ChrisA
22nd-April-2004, 04:16 PM
Of course we'll all be watching out for the programme with the Ceroc content, but is there anyone who thinks, like me, that what we do doesn't make great TV?
I agree - except maybe at the very highest level.

Amir and Kate's "Big spender" showcase is visually pretty good, and would probably be getting on for being flash enough if televised, but apart from "they seem to be having fun maybe I could have a go at that", I don't think that a short extract from the Intermediates comp would be at all impressive.

Depends on what the programme's angle is, I guess - if it's "here's a type of dance that's a bit more accessible than all that difficult stuff and still fun", then a few clips of some of the better MJ would be Ok.

Chris

Debster
22nd-April-2004, 04:29 PM
:yeah:

Gadget
22nd-April-2004, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by DavidB
but all 8 styles are from Ballroom & Latin. At a guess they will do Waltz, Foxtrot, Quickstep, Tango, Rumba, Cha Cha, Samba & Ballroom Jive.
But I thought Ballroom Jive was(is) miles appart from modern jive? :confused:
So what are they doing televising the champs? (unless, as Chris A suggests, they are showing it as a "look, you can do it too!" thing)

Sheepman
22nd-April-2004, 05:39 PM
So what are they doing televising the champs? In the past Come Dancing have had "guest spots" a diversion from the rest of the programme, where a different style of dance gets a few minutes airtime. The only ones I can remember are the Jiving Lindyhoppers (or was it Zoots & Spangles?), and some Ceroc, (including Viktor!) I'd assumed they might do something like this again, but with the new format, who knows?

Greg

DavidY
22nd-April-2004, 06:19 PM
I'm still in this camp too, I can't see this format providing much inspiration.

Of course we'll all be watching out for the programme with the Ceroc content, but is there anyone who thinks, like me, that what we do doesn't make great TV? I think maybe Chicklet came up with a better TV format in this post (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&postid=19801#post19801). :innocent:

spindr
22nd-April-2004, 08:08 PM
FYI: Channel 4 tonight / tomorrow morning (22/23 April): 04:55am. Post Modern Pastimes: How ballroom dancing is being embraced by a younger generation.

Keep an eye open - there's one in this series about Ceroc/Jive.

SpinDr.

fruitcake
22nd-April-2004, 09:35 PM
Actually, I would love to dance with Brucie, I got his autograph once he was LOVELY to me when the staff wouldnt let me near him and i chased him!!
Sigh!:kiss:

Bill
23rd-April-2004, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by fruitcake
Actually, I would love to dance with Brucie, I got his autograph once he was LOVELY to me when the staff wouldnt let me near him and i chased him!!
Sigh!:kiss:

you sad woman............................ and you seem quite normal in conversation :na: :wink:

fruitcake
23rd-April-2004, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by Bill
you sad woman............................ and you seem quite normal in conversation :na: :wink:

Whay an awful thing to say.....I'm not normal!!:devil:

RobC
23rd-April-2004, 01:28 PM
Just received this email. I'm hoping to go - may be see some of you there.

> We need a small audience for our pilot of Strictly Come Dancing this
> Saturday and yours truly has been instructed to get that audience!!
> You don't fancy coming to watch it do you and bringing some friends
> with you (or have any friends that want to come?). Bruce and Tess will
> be presenting, all the pro dancers will be there, and most of the
> celebs.
>
> It would be from 4.15 - 8.30 and smart dress (no under 18's)
>
>
> Danni Lowe
> Production Co-ordinator
> Strictly Come Dancing
> Room 3317, TVC
> T: 020 8225 9465
> F: 020 8225 8244
> M: 07834 154 459
> dannielle.lowe@bbc.co.uk

RobC
23rd-April-2004, 02:12 PM
More info if you are interested and free tomorrow.

STRICTLY COME DANCING

We are filming a non-transmittable pilot of the new
BBC 1 & BBC3 Saturday night shows of Strictly Come
Dancing this Saturday 24th April and we are looking
for an audience of 50-60 people.

Please let me know if you'd like to be a part of it

The BBC 1 show will be presented by Bruce Forsyth and
Tess Daly, with the BBC 3 show being presented by
Justin Lee Collins. 8 professional dancers from the
Latin/ Ballroom Dancing World will be taking the stage
along with various celebrities.

Audience members will need to be over 18, here at BBC
Television Centre (Audience Entrance), Wood Lane,
London W12 7RJ (nearest tube - White City on the
Central Line) at 16.15 and will be free to leave at
20:30 once the shows have been filmed. They will need
to be smartly dressed.

If you would like to come then please call me on the
number below and I’ll give you more details

Thanks very much

Danni

xxx

Danni Lowe

Production Co-ordinator

Strictly Come Dancing

Room 3317, TVC

T: 020 8225 9465

Dannielle.lowe@bbc.co.uk

Jayne
23rd-April-2004, 02:32 PM
I'm going!!!

:clap:

J :D

Divissima
23rd-April-2004, 02:57 PM
Cool! I'm busy so can't make it, but will someone post up an account on the forum on Sunday or early next week? Pretty please?? :flower: Would love to hear more about the show/format - and who the ballroom/latin stars are....

Bill
23rd-April-2004, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by fruitcake
Whay an awful thing to say.....I'm not normal!!:devil:

yes..........I'm beginning to gather that.......................:D :whistle:

fruitcake
23rd-April-2004, 04:18 PM
:D :whistle:
backatcha!!!!

RobC
25th-April-2004, 12:54 AM
Cool! I'm busy so can't make it, but will someone post up an account on the forum on Sunday or early next week? Pretty please?? :flower: Would love to hear more about the show/format - and who the ballroom/latin stars are....
Hmmm, what can I say - Pop Idol/Fame Academy meets Ballroom Dancing.

8 'D-list' Celebs & 8 Professional Ballroom Dancers paired up with each other. 4 couples dancing a Waltz, the other 4 dancing Cha Cha. Brucie plays 'Ant n Dec', 3 judges doing the Simon Cowel nasty comments bit.

Supposedly the celebs have had 6 weeks training with their pro-partners to practise their relevant routines which they will perform each saturday night live. Then the judges give their comments and score each couple out of 10. Then there is a public phone vote with is also converted into a score out of 10 and is added to the judges scores. The couple with the lowest score each week is booted off the show. Then next week the remaining couples go through it all again with different dances.

While 'waiting for the public phone vote' we were entertained by a fantastic demonstration from a Salsa couple (which was actually pre-recorded before the 'live' section of the show, so the studio audience is left twiddling their thumbs for a while. )

Can't imagine that modern jive is going to get any airtime with this program, unless they ask someone like Nigel & Nina to perform in the 'demo' slot while the public are voting.

The studio audience is sat down 2 opposite sides of the dance floor, so anyone there is likely to appear in several background shots and are mostly there to supplement the canned applause etc. It's a good set, but there aren't any monitors for the studio audience to watch the video clips on, so they miss out on the back stage interviews with Tess Daily, and most of the content of the BBC3 follow-up program. That said, if anyone can get tickets for the real filming, I think it is worth going - I'll be trying to get tickets......

uk-jive
25th-April-2004, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by RobC
...That said, if anyone can get tickets for the real filming, I think it is worth going - I'll be trying to get tickets......

Keep an eye out at http://www.bbc.co.uk/whatson/tickets/ for tickets - I guess they'll come up fairly soon.

Jive Brummie
25th-April-2004, 11:00 PM
Without sounding like a complete biff..........If i've got this right, a load of 'celebrities' get trained by pro's to compete against each other. One gets knocked out each week until only one couple remain???? So.........there's, like............no 'real' people competing for a title or anything..........just 'famous' people sparing some of their time to see if they can dance a bit????

.........it's not exactly the Come Dancing of yesteryear is it??? Sounds a bit pants to me........

James........xx

:what:

Dreadful Scathe
26th-April-2004, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by Jive Brummie
Sounds a bit pants to me........

indeed, theyre trying to drag any mileage out of the tired 'reality' tv format. I would find it far more interesting if they just took people off the street for the dancers, they seem to think that the general public find minor celebrities inherently interesting - but in this age of celebrity everwhere you look, is that really the case anymore ?

I had an idea for a reality tv show. You go round the world and pick 6 very intelligent people of different race, cultural background and language. You make sure that there is no common language between them all, so they are forced to interact other ways and find some common ground. So you stick them on a remote island and see how it all works out. Far more interesting experiment then sticking the usual muppets in a house/jungle/island and watching them bitch at each other :).

Gadget
26th-April-2004, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by Dreadful Scathe
I had an idea for a reality tv show. You go round the world and pick 6 very intelligent people of different race, cultural background and language. ...
you're relying on a TV resercher to select very intelligent people? :what:

There was a series a while ago that had a handfull of scientists (a botanist, physicist, chemist, engineer...) secluded on a desert island that were presented tasks like "make ice", "Create a sun-cream",... They did have things like hosepipes and gaffer tape, but that's all. Can't remember when it was on, but (I thought) it was quite good.

Dreadful Scathe
26th-April-2004, 03:02 PM
you're relying on a TV resercher to select very intelligent people? :what:

There was a series a while ago that had a handfull of scientists (a botanist, physicist, chemist, engineer...) secluded on a desert island that were presented tasks like "make ice", "Create a sun-cream",... They did have things like hosepipes and gaffer tape, but that's all. Can't remember when it was on, but (I thought) it was quite good.

"make ice" ? bah, yeah lets get clever people together and have them do pointless tasks....NO! :) Good old fashioned human interaction can actually be interesting. Look at how popular soap operas are. As for finding the right people - produce logic puzzles, quizzes and simple psychometric questions to find a good mix. With the extra language and cultural barriers there from the outset they have to consider how they interact all the more. I could present this :D.

For other reality shows there is nothing scientific about it
big brother get some 'average' stereotypical people as decided by tv researcher ...

m a celebrity: get some 'celebrities' as decided by a tv researcher (make sure they dont need much pay :) )..

That boyfriend/girlfriend on an island one get some attractive people that dont care about being faithful to a partner ...etc..

blah blah blah...off for a coffee break..

Gadget
26th-April-2004, 03:23 PM
"make ice" ? bah, yeah lets get clever people together and have them do pointless tasks....NO! :)
I think that in that program, the presenter wanted ice in his drink while he was lying in a hammock between two palm trees... see - not that pointless. (And I want to present this one :cool: )

Good old fashioned human interaction can actually be interesting. Look at how popular soap operas are. As for finding the right people - produce logic puzzles, quizzes and simple psychometric questions to find a good mix. With the extra language and cultural barriers there from the outset they have to consider how they interact all the more. I could present this :D. I'd think that they would probably look for a Carol Vordemort type person that could speak lots of languages. Does this forum prove that you had the idea first should someone want to produce it? And I never understood why soap operas were so popular: don't these people who watch them have lives of there own?
{<- imminent flaming}

Stuart M
26th-April-2004, 03:33 PM
don't these people who watch them have lives of there own?
{<- imminent flaming}
Yeah, but only for the spelling :whistle:

bigdjiver
26th-April-2004, 03:50 PM
I had an idea for a reality tv show. You go round the world and pick 6 very intelligent people of different race, cultural background and language. You make sure that there is no common language between them all, so they are forced to interact other ways and find some common ground. So you stick them on a remote island and see how it all works out. Far more interesting experiment then sticking the usual muppets in a house/jungle/island and watching them bitch at each other :). or stick a load of people who do not understand each other and onto one planet. Anybody spotted the cameras yet?

Actually, it would be a very intresting experiment, but probably not good TV - there would only be one person that most of the audience could understand, and they would not be saying much because the others could not understand it. It might be hilarious if you had Terry Wogan or Paul Merson doing voice-overs for what individuals were thinking / trying to communicate.

Gadget
26th-April-2004, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by bigdjiver
Actually, it would be a very intresting experiment, but probably not good TV - there would only be one person that most of the audience could understand, and they would not be saying much because the others could not understand it.
What, it wouldn't be pre-recorded so that sub-titles could be added?

PS: Stuart -

im·mi·nent ( P ) Pronunciation Key (m-nnt)
adj.
About to occur; impending: in imminent danger.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[Middle English iminent, from Old French imminent, from Latin imminns, imminent- present participle of imminre, to overhang : in-, in; see in-2 + -minre, to jut, threaten; see men-2 in Indo-European Roots.]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
immi·nent·ly adv.
immi·nent·ness n.
:na: :na: :na:

Stuart M
26th-April-2004, 05:11 PM
don't these people who watch them have lives of there own?
{<- imminent flaming}

Originally missed the point entirely by Gadget
imminent etc.
PS: Stuart -

:na: :na: :na:

Their's a lesson their for all of us, I think :whistle:

Lou
26th-April-2004, 05:21 PM
It might be hilarious if you had Terry Wogan or Paul Merson doing voice-overs Why the hell would you want an old Aston Villa player doing voice-overs, or have I missed the point entirely?! :confused:

Stuart M
26th-April-2004, 11:16 PM
OK, rereading the BBC press release (http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/pressreleases/stories/2004/04_april/21/strictly_come_dancing.shtml), the series is produced by a lady called Karen Smith. Her previous form on TV consists of a series on Channel 4 called "The Games", which apparently was about turning no-name celebs into athletes (never saw any of it - sounds like "Superstars" without the "Super" or the "stars" bits...).

So that explains the celeb aspect then. More to the point, that and tone of the press release makes me think it'll be the main focus of the show, unfortunately.

If you want an early tip for winner, I'd go for David Dickinson. After all, he's got the perfect skin colouring for ballroom already :D

Heather
27th-April-2004, 07:42 AM
[i]Originally posted by Stuart M

If you want an early tip for winner, I'd go for David Dickinson. After all, he's got the perfect skin colouring for ballroom already :D [/B]

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

:hug:
Heather,
XX

Jayne
27th-April-2004, 09:23 AM
I want to know...

...what happened to the Marshall Amplification Trophy?

J :confused:

Gadget
27th-April-2004, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by Stuart M
Their's a lesson their for all of us, I think :whistle:
That's not spelling; that's grammer. The words are all spellt right - just in the wrong places. :innocent: {:whistle:}

My eight-year-old neice watched that "Superstars" thing - I suffered an epesode {I think}... had people trying to do the vault: badly. I didn't recognised anyone except the guy who swindled lots of money and got put away. Maybe I'm getting old.

Dreadful Scathe
27th-April-2004, 02:10 PM
Actually, it would be a very intresting experiment, but probably not good TV - there would only be one person that most of the audience could understand, and they would not be saying much because the others could not understand it. It might be hilarious if you had Terry Wogan or Paul Merson doing voice-overs for what individuals were thinking / trying to communicate.

That would trivilaise the whole thing - too much tv seems to appeal to our baser instincts. TV too often does not even try to be mentally stimulating, you'd think for the reality tv genre theyd try to at least have something to say! Watching Big Brother I always felt was like watching 'Its a Knockout' that fantastic game show from the 80's :).

The audience in this instance should undertand as much as the other people there, a large part of our communication is non-verbal and it would be an interesting intellectual exercise. Maybe im suggesting a tv program only i would like though :).

Lou
27th-April-2004, 02:13 PM
That's not spelling; that's grammer. :yeah: :rofl:

Sorry. Couldn't resist. :innocent:

Sheepman
27th-April-2004, 03:09 PM
That's not spelling; that's grammer. Not grammar then? :wink:

Sorry, I couldn't resist!

Greg

DavidB
27th-April-2004, 03:24 PM
grammer ... spellt ... neice ... epesodeMy first reaction was that Gadget did this deliberately.

Sheepman
27th-April-2004, 03:27 PM
Gadget did this deliberately. Oooh subtle! :rofl:
Greg

Gadget
27th-April-2004, 04:35 PM
My first reaction was that Gadget did this deliberately.
Damn it: it looses some of the subtlety when I didn't intend to miss-spell niece or episode. :blush: {I did mean the others tho :wink:}

thewacko
29th-April-2004, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by TheTramp
Oh my. So, we get to watch half-celebrities learning to dance.
Trampy

Dare I say this but Jade Goody has already been to Charlton, before she went on Big Brother, hope she doesn't come back for a telivised version though:rofl: :rofl:

DavidY
5th-May-2004, 08:20 PM
I notice from next week's Radio Times that there's a Strictly Come Dancing programme on Wednesday 12 May at 11:30pm on BBC3 (for those people that can get it).

It's described as "Behind the scenes of the celebrity ballroom dancing game show which starts next week, as the celebs get in training and don their costumes."

There's also another programme on Friday 14 May on BBC3 at 10:30.

Stuart
7th-May-2004, 03:48 PM
Did anyone see this on BBC Breakfast this morning?

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/breakfast/3648625.stm (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/breakfast/3648625.stm)

Probably the first time you'll ever hear Rugby League and dancing mentioned in the same sentance on TV!

Stuart
15th-September-2004, 04:28 PM
I found this on the BBC website this morning, should anyone be interested.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/whatson/tickets/shows/strictlycomedancing.shtml

Gojive
15th-September-2004, 05:15 PM
I found this on the BBC website this morning, should anyone be interested.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/whatson/tickets/shows/strictlycomedancing.shtml

Excellent stuff!!!

I fell in love with the show, but missed out on tickets last time. So many thanks for this Stuart! :clap:

RobC
15th-September-2004, 07:54 PM
Excellent stuff!!!

I fell in love with the show, but missed out on tickets last time. So many thanks for this Stuart! :clap:
That's because the tickets weren't available to the public during the last series. :tears:

I was fortunate enough to get to hear about and go to the filming of the pilot, but when I enquired about tickets for the actual series, I was told that the studio audience would be made up mostly from friends and family of the 20 dancers.

RobC
15th-September-2004, 07:57 PM
Oh, did I mention that Ceroc Surrey are now teaching Ballrooom Latin classes at their Godalming venue on sundays - the teacher is non other than Kylie Jones (danced with Jason - the camp comedian), one of the stars of the last series of Strictly Come Dancing, :worthy:
(who has apparently also been asked back for the next series as well :clap: )

Debster
16th-September-2004, 01:18 AM
Apparently Anton Du Beke and Erin Boag will be back in the next series too :D
And BTW they teach private lessons too (please say Hi from Deb Woodyard , that Aussie girl, if you see them!) Anton is an absolute hoot! :worthy:
I'll be lucky if I get to see the last series sometime this year, I'm very jealous of those who can get tickets for the new one :rolleyes: Please cheer extra loud in the audience for me :clap:

Divissima
16th-September-2004, 08:58 AM
That's because the tickets weren't available to the public during the last series. :tears:

I was fortunate enough to get to hear about and go to the filming of the pilot, but when I enquired about tickets for the actual series, I was told that the studio audience would be made up mostly from friends and family of the 20 dancers.Got my tickets for one of the London shows!! YAY! I asked the guy in the ticket office about the show and apparently the grand final with be in Blackpool on 11th December. Tickets for that show aren't released until Monday.

Gojive
16th-September-2004, 09:03 AM
Got my tickets for one of the London shows!! YAY! I asked the guy in the ticket office about the show and apparently the grand final with be in Blackpool on 11th December. Tickets for that show aren't released until Monday.

Nice one D! :waycool:

Which show are you going to?. I'll be booking my tickets later today :grin:

Divissima
16th-September-2004, 09:06 AM
Nice one D! :waycool:

Which show are you going to?. I'll be booking my tickets later today :grin:4th December. Can't wait! If we go to the same one, you'll have to tell me who you are so we can get a Forum posse all sitting together.

Peter
16th-September-2004, 09:51 AM
Got my tickets for one of the London shows!!

... they told me that the "allocation" is run two weeks beforehand and that I would be informed if I am successful ...

anyone know how I can get onto the "A" list?

Divissima
16th-September-2004, 09:55 AM
Oh :really: :confused: That's a bit strange. The guy told me I had tickets - he didn't mention about any allocation or waiting to find out. Maybe he got it wrong :( Anyone else called up for tickets yet? If so, please let us know what they tell you.

Peter
16th-September-2004, 10:11 AM
Oh :really: :confused: That's a bit strange. The guy told me I had tickets - he didn't mention about any allocation or waiting to find out. Maybe he got it wrong :( Anyone else called up for tickets yet? If so, please let us know what they tell you.

2 weeks before the show, the ticket unit is advised by production of the number of seats remaining to be filled (ie after the friends and family have taken what they want). The remaining seats are allocated to those who registered with the ticket unit on a first come first served basis".

Divissima
16th-September-2004, 10:18 AM
2 weeks before the show, the ticket unit is advised by production of the number of seats remaining to be filled (ie after the friends and family have taken what they want). The remaining seats are allocated to those who registered with the ticket unit on a first come first served basis".Hmmmm.... Oh well. It sounds as though I got one of the less well informed members of staff :sad: Fingers crossed for that allocation, then :rolleyes:

Rhythm King
16th-September-2004, 11:31 AM
Just booked/requested 4 tickets for the 4th December. Hopefully see you there

R-K

Gojive
16th-September-2004, 12:22 PM
It get's odder!

I've just booked mine for the 23rd October, and was told "your ticket application is successful, and the tickets will be sent to you about 2 weeks before the show""

:confused:

Lou
28th-September-2004, 11:27 AM
The line-up has just been announced.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/tv_and_radio/3694382.stm

Brendan Cole's dancing with Sarah Manners from Casualty. And it looks like Esther Rantzen's got Anton, and Carol Vordeman's with Paul Killick. :what:

Divissima
28th-September-2004, 12:37 PM
Cool, Lou!

How did you find out who'se paired with who (I've been rooting around on the BBC website but can't find it)?

Lou
28th-September-2004, 01:19 PM
How did you find out who'se paired with who (I've been rooting around on the BBC website but can't find it)?

I'm ashamed to say - piccies in the Daily Mirror :blush:

RobC
28th-September-2004, 02:10 PM
I'm ashamed to say - piccies in the Daily Mirror :blush:
Not seen the Mirror, but here's the line-up I've just been emailed:

Erin Boag - Julian Clary
Anton Du Beke - Esther Rantzen OBE
Camilla Dallerup - Roger Black MBE
Paul Killick - Carol Vorderman MBE
Brendan Cole - Sarah Manners
Hazel Newberry - Quentin Willson
Ian Waite - Denise Lewis OBE
Nicole Cutler - Diarmuid Gavin
Lilia Kopylova - Aled Jones
Darren Bennett - Jill Halfpenny

under par
28th-September-2004, 03:34 PM
It get's odder!

I've just booked mine for the 23rd October, and was told "your ticket application is successful, and the tickets will be sent to you about 2 weeks before the show""

:confused:

Getting tickets is no gaurantee of a seat in the audience.

I went to see a programme(Coupling) being made and 35 people didnt get a seat due to "family and friends".

Those who don't get a seat get priority tickets for another night.

They will be seated first at subsequent evening.

This was at Teddington Studios.

Lindsay
28th-September-2004, 04:25 PM

Erin Boag - Julian Clary

Aled Jones and Julian Clary dancing. Think I'll tune in... Mind you I was totally hooked on the last series, so I doub't this will be any different.

Gojive
28th-September-2004, 07:15 PM

I went to see a programme(Coupling) being made and 35 people didnt get a seat due to "family and friends".

Thanks U.P. :) . Fingers crossed then!

Stuart
28th-September-2004, 07:15 PM

As someone who has been to a few BBC productions (mostly Radio), I've found that if you get there in good time, you can usually get in.

Gareth
29th-September-2004, 01:11 AM

Many years ago I was competing in a ballroom competition in Bristol and one of the couples were Hazel Newberry and Christopher Hawkins. I was`nt at their level unfortunately :( .
WOW, could they dance. They were the most amazing couple I`ve ever seen.
I think they went onto be World Ballroom Champion?

I wish I had the chance to learn with Hazel. Quentin is one lucky guy!!!

I`m looking forward to the new series

Pammy
29th-September-2004, 09:38 AM
Daily Mail today - next round of Strictly Come Dancing... A. Jones (aka, I think "I'm walking in the air....."

I ask you :rolleyes: :angry: :tears:

Debster
30th-September-2004, 01:38 AM

Erin Boag - Julian Clary

Oh STOP STOP! I'm going green with envy! :D
I just this week got to see the semi-final and final of the last series. It was very clever how they paired people up to get a good tv show - even if Chris whats-is-name was absolutely terrible.

I know all the ballroom stars except Ian Waite, but help a poor Aussie - who is Esther Rantzen? Sounds familiar but I can't place her.

And yes, Hazel is the best, but where is Christopher Hawkins? (They are world ballroom champions over and over now) Why hasn't he joined in the fun? Unlikely you'll find out, but in case anyone has the gossip, I'd love to hear.
:clap: :worthy: :clap: :D :clap: :drool: :clap:

David Franklin
30th-September-2004, 08:47 AM
And yes, Hazel is the best, but where is Christopher Hawkins? (They are world ballroom champions over and over now) Why hasn't he joined in the fun? Unlikely you'll find out, but in case anyone has the gossip, I'd love to hear.Well, Chris & Hazel have stopped competing together, so I assume he doesn't feel the need to accompany her on the series...

Other gossip, after splitting with Paul Killick, Hanna has now teamed up with Victor da Silva (the guy she did the showdance demo with on SCD) to form a new showdance partnership.

Dave

ToeTrampler
30th-September-2004, 10:16 AM
..but help a poor Aussie - who is Esther Rantzen? Sounds familiar but I can't place her.

Esther is a T.V. presenter most famous for the 'Thats Life' consumer programme some years ago in the UK. Also a founder of the charity Childline and I think she's also written some books.

Debster
1st-October-2004, 02:14 AM
Hey thanks for the replies. :) v. interesting.

Hannah and that show dance guy had better do a bunch more practise then, their demo on the show was a bit rough for people at their level... then again, they are so good they probably did that whole routine on half an hour rehearsal so I shouldn't complain. He was so strong, I'm sure he is normally totally awesome. :drool:

Gojive
14th-October-2004, 04:31 PM
B*gger!!!

With just over a week to go, to the show date I requested (23rd Oct), I still had no tickets arrive. So I phoned the ticket hotline, to be told I was not successful! :tears: Thanks Beeb!! :mad:

An update on the Blackpool dates:

There are two shows, one on the 20th Nov, and one on the 11th Dec (Final). Tickets will be up for 'possible' grabs on 19th Nov.

*Sigh* I'll try again I suppose....

Divissima
14th-October-2004, 04:46 PM
Good luck on those Blackpool tickets, Gojive. Fingers crossed for everyone else who applied.

David Franklin
14th-October-2004, 05:08 PM
Hey thanks for the replies. :) v. interesting.

Hannah and that show dance guy had better do a bunch more practise then, their demo on the show was a bit rough for people at their level... then again, they are so good they probably did that whole routine on half an hour rehearsal so I shouldn't complain. He was so strong, I'm sure he is normally totally awesome. :drool:I've seen two routines he did with a previous partner (Claire Edwards), and to be honest, they weren't really any cleaner (other than the fairly big fluff at the end of the SCD routine). The sheer quantity and pace of the lifts is impressive, but the individual execution isn't so hot - he never seems to get his arms even close to straight in the overheads (must be really strong though - I can't even imagine doing a 1 handed overhead with an arm as bent as his). He does seem very good at turning the lifts.

I suspect Hanna's inexperience meant they toned down the lifts slightly for SCD but in my opinion Hanna is a much better performer than Claire, so will be intesting to see how they do when she gains experience. I think they'll have a hard job beating the Iouvilov's (current World Champions and Cirque du Soleil performers) though.

Dave

DavidB
14th-October-2004, 05:11 PM
I know all the ballroom stars except Ian Waite,Ian used to dance with Melanie Walker. I remember them as amateurs 15 years ago.

He is probably the only one tall enough to partner Denise Lewis

Stuart
18th-October-2004, 04:36 PM
Found today on the BBC website

http://www.bbc.co.uk/whatson/tickets/shows/strictly_blackpool.shtml

Gojive
19th-October-2004, 01:23 PM
Further update: :(

All shows (including Blackpool) are now full! :tears: :tears: :tears:

Maybe next year.....