PDA

View Full Version : Rules And Regulations

Rachel
21st-April-2004, 02:33 PM
I just had to share this - it's brilliant! Has anyone else seen it?
Rachel
_____

RULES AND REGULATIONS

Governing Dance Halls, City of Cleveland [circa 1925]

*Section 8 of Ordinance No. 20456-A:

1. Vulgar, noisy Jazz music is prohibited. Such music almost forces dancers to use jerky half-steps and invites immoral variations.

2. Male dancers are not permitted to hold their partners tightly; generally this is the fault of the gentleman's partner. Both dancers should assume a light, graceful position.

3. Partners are not permitted to dance with cheeks close or touching. When dancers put their cheeks together it is simply a case of "public love-making."

4. So-called "neck-holds" are prohibited. The gentleman's arm should encircle his partner's waist, his hand resting lightly at her spine, just above the waist line; the lady's left arm should not encircle the gentleman's shoulder or neck.

5. So-called "shimmy" dancing is shaking or jerking of the upper body, while taking short steps, or standing still, and will not be tolerated. Short side steps, first right, then left, when done continuously, are not conducive to refined dancing, and will not be permitted. Teachers should not teach any steps or movements which cannot be controlled.

6. Dancers are not permitted to take exceptionally long or short steps. The proper dancing step should be the same as the natural walking one, except in exhibition dancing, which belongs to the stage and not to the ballroom.

7. Don't dance from the waist up; dance from the waist down.

8. Suggestive movements are not permitted.

9. Dancers are not permitted to copy the extremes that are now used on the modern stage.

10. Anyone carrying intoxicating liquor on their person into any dance hall, will be ejected from the hall and arrested.

11. Raffling of any kind is prohibited, and raffle tickets must not be sold.

12. Flirting, spooning and rowdy conduct of any kind, is absolutely prohibited.

13. The announcing of prospective dances to be held, is not permitted, except by permission of the management of the dance at which such announcement is made.

14. Smoking in the room reserved for dancing, is not permitted.

15. Expectorating on the floor is prohibited. Persistent violators of this provision are subject to arrest and ejection from the hall.

16. All men must remove their hats while in the dance hall.

17. Indecent, profane or vulgar language will not be tolerated.

18. Dance Halls must be kept clean, healthful, well ventilated and sanitary. All stairways, exits and passageways to rooms connected with the dance hall, must be kept open and well lighted.

19. "Moonlight" dances are not permitted, unless there is sufficient light in the building so that the patrons can be easily seen.

20. Gentlemen must wear coats while dancing. During the hot summer months, shirtwaists must be worn with full-length sleeves, cuff links fastened and belt.

By orders of, CHARLES P. JOHNSON, CITY DANCE HALL INSPECTOR
____

Dave Hancock
21st-April-2004, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by Rachel

12. Flirting, spooning and rowdy conduct of any kind, is absolutely prohibited.

What does spooning mean in this context?? :innocent:

Chicklet
21st-April-2004, 02:47 PM

12. Flirting, spooning
it's fab!!!

please may we have an official definition of "spooning", just so as not to be caught in the wrong, obviously.

NB, I'm sure the definition I'm thinking off can't be right, and it would certainly be uncomfortable if the man was wearing his coat, cufflinks and belt :eek:

Dave Hancock
21st-April-2004, 02:49 PM
Miss Chicklet, you always have to take it a step further!!!

Chicklet
21st-April-2004, 02:50 PM
but note you got in and finished (cough, your post) before me!!!:rofl:

Rachel
21st-April-2004, 02:53 PM
Personally, I want to know what 'expectorating' is???? Makes me think of severely pregnant women ...

TheTramp
21st-April-2004, 02:55 PM
I think that they are all excellent rules, and will look forward to them being brought in at all dance venues up and down the country.

Starting with Glasgow tonight :D

Trampy

Dave Hancock
21st-April-2004, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by Chicklet
but note you got in and finished (cough, your post) before me!!!:rofl:

Short and sweet my wee chum, short and sweet!

Dave Hancock
21st-April-2004, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by TheTramp
I think that they are all excellent rules, and will look forward to them being brought in at all dance venues up and down the country.

Starting with Glasgow tonight :D

Trampy

Here, here!

Stuart M
21st-April-2004, 03:00 PM
Personally, I want to know what 'expectorating' is???? Makes me think of severely pregnant women ...
Spitting :sick:

Starting in Glasgow tonight? Damn - must rethink my choice of garb now thanks to 16 & 20...

TheTramp
21st-April-2004, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by Dave Hancock
Here, here! Where, where!?!

Trampy

Chicklet
21st-April-2004, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by Stuart M
Damn - must rethink my choice of grab now thanks to 16 & 20...
:confused: :eek:

Stuart M
21st-April-2004, 03:08 PM
garb
You've been learning from CJ on this misquoting front, haven't you Ms Chicklet?

Like Chicklet needs to learn from anyone about any front...

CJ
21st-April-2004, 03:18 PM
Ok, I admit I'm an arse

Me??:innocent: :innocent: :innocent:

:wink:

Dreadful Scathe
21st-April-2004, 03:24 PM
hmm no smoking and no rude language rules, they were ahead of the times :)

More spooning at Ceroc and other Jive events, thats what I say. Someone start a poll :)

Stuart M
21st-April-2004, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by Ceroc Jock
Me??:innocent: :innocent: :innocent:

:wink:
Walked into that one... :rofl:

Chicklet
21st-April-2004, 03:29 PM
boys, boys, boys, all this intheface stuff is really passe.....the skill is in flashing one's misquotes just enough that the beloved reader feels the need to come back for another look.........often alone......and from time to time.....bringing it right back on thread Ithankyou ......with thoughts of spoons...no?

Dreadful Scathe
21st-April-2004, 03:33 PM
.the skill is in flashing one's misquotes just enough that the beloved reader feels the need to come back for another look

all the better if one has a pink flower between the misquotes - metaphorically speaking of course :)

Chicklet
21st-April-2004, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by Dreadful Scathe
a pink flower
:kiss: you boys just love feeding me the lines don't ya! but given that I really don't want to be barred from Camber before I even get there I'm just going to sit on my little pink flower

Chicklet
21st-April-2004, 03:43 PM
I'm just going to sit on my little pink flower
now would you look at that, I didn't finish my sentance before I accidentally hit submit.

should read "sit on my little pink flower story", obviously.:blush:

Lory
21st-April-2004, 04:16 PM
When dancers put their cheeks together it is simply a case of "public love-making."

____

:really:I think I may have inadvertently made a brief public spectacle of my self last night :blush: you don't think I could be pregnant do u? :what: :rofl:

Retread
21st-April-2004, 04:52 PM
According to Webster's New Collegiate Dictionary, 1934 edition (which just happens to be handy), Spooning is "to act with silly and demonstrative fondness".

I'd rather not describe expectoration, but public transport in certain cities years ago used to have a prominent notice which read: "Spitting is Strictly Prohibited".

That's what the sawdust on the floor is for. . . . . . .

Retread.

Sheepman
22nd-April-2004, 03:09 PM
Teachers should not teach any steps or movements which cannot be controlled. Maybe with the aid of a whip? :yum:

But it seems like they were generations ahead of their time:-
14. Smoking in the room reserved for dancing, is not permitted. :clap: :clap:

Greg

Nick M
22nd-April-2004, 07:10 PM

Spitting

As in the Charles Dickens novel, Great Expectorations

fruitcake
22nd-April-2004, 07:57 PM
Hey-ho!
I thought expectorating meant coughing it all up, and THEN spitting it out, y'know, like men do!
Hoochhhyyeuch- spit!
That sort of thing. Like cough mixture expectorant, makes ya cough!

As for the rules well naturally i don't do any of those things, I's so good y'see!

No spooning, flirting, or (absolutely never!)swearing.
Arms around mens neck (they own't let me), but it doesnt mention anywhere, sh**ging so presumable that would be allowed eh? That;s not obscene behaviour......oh, are we going upstairs now?

Bill
23rd-April-2004, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by fruitcake
oh, are we going upstairs now?

only if you buy us a drink...........:whistle: :na:

Bill
23rd-April-2004, 12:11 PM
invites immoral variations.

By orders of, CHARLES P. JOHNSON, CITY DANCE HALL INSPECTOR
____

I want Lisa and Lorna to teach these variaitons :D :innocent:

Nick M
23rd-April-2004, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by Retread
I'd rather not describe expectoration, but public transport in certain cities years ago used to have a prominent notice which read: "Spitting is Strictly Prohibited".

There was a young man from Darjeeling
Who visited Hipsters, in Ealing
It said on the door
"Do not spit on the floor"
So he stood up and spat on the ceiling

fruitcake
23rd-April-2004, 12:17 PM
Who needs teaching....!!:wink:

foxylady
29th-April-2004, 10:33 PM
in similar vein, this extract from the 1925 Life Saving Scout and Guard magazine, in reply to a scout asking whether it was proper to continue his weekly trips to the dance hall....

"To begin with there is nothing very constructive about dancing, to a Scout or Guard who has other opportunities for physical exercise. The attraction is a social one. Young folk like the lights, the music, the dresses, the chatter. The conversation is not on a high level of intelligence. If a boy goes to meet girlfriends it is scarcely likely that the best sort of girls will be found. If he goes to meet boy friends, the chances of meeting decent, manly fellows is much less in the dance hall that at outdoor games.

Dance hall conditions, generally speaking are... stale air, late hours and dances that are often questionable in their moral influence............

.....Nearly all fellows we know who are keen on scouting and manly things and had a contempt for the dance hall have found the right girl somehow. The dance hall sort may be good partners for a hop across the floor, but they are rarely much good as partners on the lifelong trail."

Sheepman
30th-April-2004, 10:49 AM
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Foxylady, that's hilarious, and so true :really: :wink: But I don't have much time for an organisation who's leader started scouting for boys on Brownsea island!
I think it should be posted up at every dance venue!

Greg