PDA

View Full Version : Wanted: Dancers to create a new style of Modern Jive

Gus
20th-April-2004, 04:12 PM
After complaining about the lack of recognition of the ‘Club Jive’ subset of MJ, I've come to the conclusion that rather than complaining about it positive action would be a good idea.

So .... I’m putting a call out to all experienced dancers who would like to contribute to developing this style. I’ve already done some work with a number of other dancers to try to work out some ideas. As a result of that I've got one finalised workshop (as taught at Glasgow and Stompin at Brighton) and the bare bones of an intermediate workshop. However, I think the time has come to widen the scope of this activity.

I’m particularly interested in any dancers with a Jazz Dance, Hip Hop, contemporary background. The idea is to try to get together in a group or groups and spend a few hours in a dance studio playing to the music and seeing what type of moves/style comes out of it.

When I talk about Club Jive I’m not referring to Urban/Hip Hop ... the music is generally too slow for MJ and better lends itself to the Lindy fusion already developed by the likes of Dan Baines and Sue Freeman. The music I have in mind is more of the like of Chocolate Puma, Sash, Craig David, Lasgo etc.

So ... anyone interested?

Bill
20th-April-2004, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by Gus
better lends itself to the Lindy fusion already developed by the likes of Dan Baines and Sue Freeman.

Well I have a vest................ if I spend the next year in the gym I might have some upper body like Dan............ and I'm sooooooo well know for my lindy/ hip hop dance style. :na: What about standing still club style.... but with attitude :whistle:

Gadget
21st-April-2004, 08:20 AM
Originally posted by Gus
If it wasn't for distance, yea - excelent idea :worthy:
...although I don't think I could bring anything usefull to the table other than enthusiasm :blush: {and an over-critical eye :innocent:}

Siobhan (Forum Plant)
24th-April-2004, 06:25 PM
sounds cool- maybe you can get a workshop together & invite us down for it? or bring it here?

I for one would be very interested
:clap:

JamesGeary
26th-April-2004, 01:43 PM
Get Laith Sami & Candice Leong (salsa club style) to your event.

Both of them have backgrounds of Jazz & Hip-Hop and have already done the hard work of incorporating them into partner dancing.

Or just get a video of their dancing and copy them if you want to develop an unusually good club style.

Gus
26th-April-2004, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by JamesGeary
Get Laith Sami & Candice Leong (salsa club style) to your event.

Someone mentioned to me there was a 'street' version of Salsa around ... wonder if these guys were the proponents. Any idea where they are based or contact (web) details?

Originally posted by Siobhan
sounds cool- maybe you can get a workshop together & invite us down for it? or bring it here?

Funnily enough, we've only taught the 'Intro to Club Jive' 3 times, in Brighton, Wellington (NZ) and Glasgow ... still not managed to run the course in my home area yet:tears: Hoping to put this omission right and run it on 5th June at Northwich. Re running a course in Scotland ... waiting until we've developed the 'Improvers' workshop ..... hope to be able to bring it North of the Border some time in November (dates, venues and politics permitting).

Emma
26th-April-2004, 02:17 PM
Gus you should get Dan Slape involved - lovely guy, great teacher, fab dancer! (destroyer of thigh muscles at workshops owwowwwoww) :nice:

Chicklet
26th-April-2004, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by Emma
Gus you should get Dan Slape involved - lovely guy, great teacher, fab dancer! (destroyer of thigh muscles at workshops owwowwwoww) :nice:
'specially if you give him a couple of pretty girls (seconded from the DJ area :wink: ) a bit of grass and about 6 hours to cook something up!

DavidB
26th-April-2004, 02:32 PM
Gus

You have said you want the dancing to be different to the hip-hop style of Dan Baines etc, but only said what sort of music you want. What sort of look are you after?