PDA

View Full Version : Other dance styles

catherine_redhead
16th-April-2004, 03:33 PM
Has anyone tried other dance styles that have significantly added to/improved their style and repertoire? I've tried breakdance and hiphop, and would like to try tango next. (The breakdance and hiphop hasn't brought a significant improvement yet but it's ealy days!) And I'm off to try ballroom next week too.

Jive classes don't really get the most out of breaks as an individual dancer. I guess a few of you will mention the musicality workshops and advanced workshops as the place to introduce more detail and personal interpretation to moves.

Cath x

sars
16th-April-2004, 03:57 PM
i started latin american not long back and that has really help especially with moves with foot work! it gives more comfidence with different styles of music and to try different things out. also there are quiet a few moves that can be stolen and adapted

John Gimber
16th-April-2004, 04:25 PM
Try popping off to a dance weekend like Camber Sands (JiveTime). You get a great cross-section of dance styles and classes to have a go at - very useful for stimulating the imagination!

John.

catherine_redhead
16th-April-2004, 04:29 PM
I'm going for the sixth time next week! The jive weekends are good for a quick hit, but I think real change can only come about by working on moves again and again (i.e. through weekly classes) so that they become fixed in the brain. :innocent:

ElaineB
16th-April-2004, 06:31 PM
Hey a near all Bristol thread!!!

Cath, you probably didn't realise, but I go to a Tango class before I come to Kingswood - guess where? Very, very close to the BBC in Bristol!! Have a look at the www.tangowest.co.uk.

Elaine :)

Barryf
16th-April-2004, 11:26 PM
Other Styles really will influence your dancing, I do Latin ,Ballroom ,Sequence too, and each has its charm, and lots of steps can be carried between styles, and you can recognise another way of getting into jive moves.

I find them easier to understand if I learn them as moves.

I often break into a Cha or a rhumba , even a waltz at Blackpool to ' Norah Jones Come away with Me', when the music is right, and almost all the Ladies enjoy the change. (or don't even notice)

We have tried 40's nights too they are great fun if you don't mind making a mess of things occasionally. They are full of all the above with swing and hip hop too, the only trouble is they expect you to get in the spirit and dress 40's ,uniforms, pillbox hats, etc don't ask I am not telling what I get to wear.

spindr
17th-April-2004, 12:44 AM
Rock'n'roll got me started dancing.

Ballroom helped my dance frame in closed holds. You can also use moves like pivots in MJ.

Latin American helped my Jive, etc. Especially, triple steps, kick ball changes, etc. Maybe also helping a bit with spare arm syndrome.

Lindy is helping me with leading and working with 8 beat moves.

WCS is helping my tension/compression in the handhold.

Argentine tango, is so like "zen dancing", I haven't worked out how to integrate it into MJ yet -- but there's time.

Salsa is helping my spins -- and I can steal a lot of moves and transfer them to MJ.

And they all help me have fun :)

SpinDr.

Minnie M
17th-April-2004, 08:21 AM
Originally posted by spindr
........And they all help me have fun

And it has worked :worthy: you are a great dancer, considerate and fun to dance with :yeah:

and your Rock 'n' Roll is still good too :wink:

spindr
17th-April-2004, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by Minnie M
And it has worked :worthy: you are a great dancer, considerate and fun to dance with :yeah:

:blush: Right back at ya babe! :blush:
Hmmm, still need to improve -- got called "manic" twice last Friday :) -- and the accidental groping on the Wednesday made me feel like a right boob (that's the trouble with short partners who spin close behind you when you lead a confident hatchback) :).

SpinDr.

spindr
17th-April-2004, 11:29 PM
Thinking a bit more:
1). Lindy Hop: crazy legs -- really useful for leaders -- really good for trying to get a follower to smile.

Add them to a "follower walk around the leader" move for a bit more style.

2). Salsa shines -- these really help when you lose handhold / dancehold -- for a bit more confidence dancing solo. Especially if your partner's "playing" and doesn't want to come straight back into hold.

SpinDr.

philsmove
18th-April-2004, 12:22 PM
At a swimming pool party this weekend I tries Syncro Swimming

Not sure if this counts as dance, anyhow it has had no effect on dancing style

But It did strike me a swimming poll could be a very safe and fun place to practice aerials

:D :D :D

Jive Brummie
18th-April-2004, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by philsmove

But It did strike me a swimming poll could be a very safe and fun place to practice aerials

:D :D :D

..........v. "Dirty Dancing"