PDA

View Full Version : Dance Partner Forum??

Siobhan (Forum Plant)
16th-April-2004, 10:41 AM
Do you think it would be a good idea to have a designated room on this forum for people on the hunt for a partner, for example:-

:drool: dance partners for competing
:drool: dance partners for practicing/developing
:drool: or just partners for a bit of lurvvve

Gus
16th-April-2004, 11:41 AM
Funny you should mention that ... currently in discussion with a technical mate of mine to provide a 'matching' service, especially for dancers who want to compete. HOWEVER, not intending it to be a Dating service:tears:

Any suggestions as to useful parameters would be appreciated.

Lounge Lizard
16th-April-2004, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by Gus
Funny you should mention that ... currently in discussion with a technical mate of mine to provide a 'matching' service, especially for dancers who want to compete. HOWEVER, not intending it to be a Dating service:tears:

Any suggestions as to useful parameters would be appreciated. Is a technical mate someone who likes you an a mechanical sort of way:rofl:

CJ
16th-April-2004, 11:48 AM
... try it and see.

Think it might be a good idea but you run the risk of SERIOUS luvviness going on. (Not looking at any London venues in particular:whistle: )

Also, if people are taking themselves TOO seriusly, a good portion of michael will be extracted.:innocent: :innocent:

ChrisA
16th-April-2004, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by Ceroc Jock
(Not looking at any London venues in particular:whistle: )

Also, if people are taking themselves TOO seriusly, a good portion of michael will be extracted.:innocent: :innocent:
:rofl:

How will we tell the difference from the usual portion?

Bardsey
16th-April-2004, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by Siobhan
Do you think it would be a good idea to have a designated room on this forum for people on the hunt for a partner, for example:-

:drool: dance partners for competing
:drool: dance partners for practicing/developing
:drool: or just partners for a bit of lurvvve

Excellent idea! I'm up for all 3 categories :rofl:

Gadget
16th-April-2004, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by Gus
Any suggestions as to useful parameters would be appreciated.
Do you need anything more than "location" and "distance willing to travel"? {OK, so you can't really pair up two leads or two followers...}

Possably ability level, but I figure most people looking for a "practice buddy" would be 'intermediate'. Yes/No?

OK, competition partners may require some indication of styles, strengths and weaknesses allong with preferred partner's styles, strengths & weaknesses (eg good in drops, poor in spins...) BUT some people click, others don't - I don't think that it can be determined by a questions & answers session: they have to dance together.

Perhaps a specific "freestyle" event with the sole aim of finding a partner - gawd, does this sound like speed dating :what:

As to a specific area of the forum for it - why? Just post a 'personal ad' in the "Chit-Chat" or "Let's talk about dance" areas.

Dave Hancock
16th-April-2004, 01:56 PM
Why would one need a seperate area??? Surely a thread started as Gadget suggested would be a very good way of starting things and thereafter if you find a partner then it would be better to PM them or e-mail them instead of viewing all thoughts on a forum.

Alternatively just go to a few party nights or different venues and then find someone you find you dance well with with and ask them straight for practise, to be a competition partner or for some loving.

Does a dance forum really require a designated room for partner hunting????

Bardsey
16th-April-2004, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by Dave Hancock
Alternatively just go to a few party nights or different venues and then find someone you find you dance well with with and ask them straight for practise, to be a competition partner or for some loving.

:rofl: :rofl: Dave, you're a star! Would that it were so easy! Spoken like a true blue male.......just ger-in there and tek wat yer wants, boy! :rofl: :rofl:

Dave Hancock
16th-April-2004, 02:11 PM
Jill,

I take your foot in mouth point, but a large amount of people who don't have partneres to dance with haven't really asked anybody and it is much better to find a partner in the flesh than use some internet method of doing so. One just has to be brave and ask. Also I think part of the problem is that some people think they are very good and would only dance with certain elite people and not others (ohhh here comes a flaming for Davey boy!!).

I guess I may be biased being male, and can appreciate that on average there are far more better woman dancers than male dancers and as such sometimes woman can sometimes get fustrated at lack of good males to dance with but sometimes if a more established female dancer takes a relative beginner then the results can be fantastic (case in hand Mel when she started seeing James - Mel already established and a wonderful dancer and James a novice whereas now they are a truly amazing couple).

Before I get flamed for my viewpoint on the people not wishing to dance with people they consider not so good, my experience is based on a couple of dancers who wanted to compete last year and when I give them a list of about 8-10 males not competing they found a reason not to dance with each of them.

Bardsey
16th-April-2004, 02:21 PM
I guess I may be biased being male, and can appreciate that on average there are far more better woman dancers than male dancers and as such sometimes woman can sometimes get fustrated at lack of good males to dance with but sometimes if a more established female dancer takes a relative beginner then the results can be fantastic (case in hand Mel when she started seeing James - Mel already established and a wonderful dancer and James a novice whereas now they are a truly amazing couple).

I do take your point, Dave and even agree with you to a certain extent, but unfortunately its easier said than done. All the "good" male dancers down my way are already taken and any new beginners who show promise are equally snapped up quickly or have already been brought along by their other half, as James was. I'll keep searching though, never have been one to give up easily. Perhaps I'll just have to become a little more aggressive.......should be good for a laugh (at my expense....my friends would die laughing at the thought of me being aggressive :rofl: )

Dave Hancock
16th-April-2004, 02:28 PM
Aggressive is the way to go and good luck in finding a man Jill, will you be at Southport and if so will I get a dance this time???

Bardsey
16th-April-2004, 02:31 PM
Aggressive is the way to go and good luck in finding a man Jill, will you be at Southport and if so will I get a dance this time???

Yes Dave, I'll be at Southport, it will be my first event since my op.......can't wait! I'll DEF get a dance with you this time, if I have to lasso you and wrestle you to the ground first..... all part of my new aggressive image, you understand :rofl:

jazzy
16th-April-2004, 04:41 PM
An online forum for finding a partner for lurve? - just accenuates the fact that ceroc is seen by the unknowing and presuming outsider as a sad singles club.

JamesGeary
16th-April-2004, 05:17 PM
Jazzy, just wait til Bardsey lassos you, tackles you to the ground, takes you home and stores you in bed next to DaveH and the rest of her collection. Forget sad, learn fear.

spindr
17th-April-2004, 12:24 AM
Originally posted by jazzy
An online forum for finding a partner for lurve? - just accenuates the fact that ceroc is seen by the unknowing and presuming outsider as a sad singles club.

Well I was hoping it was a happy singles club :)

Martin
18th-April-2004, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by spindr
Well I was hoping it was a happy singles club :)

uhh, you mean this is not a happy singles club? :confused:

Now you tell me...:tears: :tears:

Siobhan (Forum Plant)
18th-April-2004, 01:11 PM

Some come for the sheer love of the dance
Some come for the potential of meeting somebody
Some come for both
Some just come

If you see this as sad, then that's sad.

Siobhan (Forum Plant)
18th-April-2004, 01:15 PM
it is much better to find a partner in the flesh than use some internet method of doing so.

Yea but if there's not enough 'flesh' in your vicinity is there anything wrong with using a system specifically designed to match dancers up? You'd have to give your location, height, level, style, etc. If it was regional, that would help.

Bardsey
19th-April-2004, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by JamesGeary
Jazzy, just wait til Bardsey lassos you, tackles you to the ground, takes you home and stores you in bed next to DaveH and the rest of her collection. Forget sad, learn fear.

Yes Jazzy, be afraid, be very afraid :devil:

jazzy
20th-April-2004, 10:03 AM
Some come for the sheer love of the dance
Some come for the potential of meeting somebody
Some come for both
Some just come

If you see this as sad, then that's sad.

Not being an outsider then I do not see this as sad, but when trying to drag the lads form work along - they, being outsiders said to me - Ceroc? Is that not a like a sad singles club?

Siobhan - I think you misunderstood my point. I do not see this as sad, but as I first wrote, outsiders do.

Pammy
20th-April-2004, 10:14 AM
I do not see this as sad, but as I first wrote, outsiders do.

I completely agree. People at work smirk when I say I go dancing. They think it's for sad people.

They imagine I am the only one who is under 60, without a blue rinse doing ballroom. Not that any of those three things is anything bad (yes even blue rinses have their place!) What I mean is, outsiders have a very narrow minded view as to what "dancing" constitutes and they don't imagine it can be modern, for all ages, fun and a great socially.

All I think is "their loss" :grin:

TheTramp
20th-April-2004, 10:30 AM
Not being an outsider then I do not see this as sad, but when trying to drag the lads form work along - they, being outsiders said to me - Ceroc? Is that not a like a sad singles club?
But do the same people not see any mixed social activity as a 'sad singles club'? What's the difference between Ceroc and anything else (in people's perception)?

Trampy

jazzy
20th-April-2004, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by TheTramp
But do the same people not see any mixed social activity as a 'sad singles club'? What's the difference between Ceroc and anything else (in people's perception)?

Trampy

I'll have to ask them Trampy. I think as Pammy said, they see it as the blue rinse brigade as seen on come dancing.
These people probably don't do much and are unhappy.

ChrisA
20th-April-2004, 11:20 AM

One difference is that Ceroc does tend to attract a certain number of geeky types - horn-rimmed glasses mended with sellotape for example, or trousers three inches too short (or, at one venue I went to, straggly facial hair was combined with horrible old trousers complete with cycle clips, which were kept on for the whole night :sick: )

Whereas the clientele of a posh London club for instance tends to be trendier and put some effort into appearance. Just as much a "singles" scene - more so, in fact - but not quite so sad, at least supercially, anyway :wink:

Chris

TheTramp
20th-April-2004, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by ChrisA
One difference, surely unarguable, is that Ceroc does tend to attract a certain number of geeky types - horn-rimmed glasses mended with sellotape for example, or trousers three inches too short (or, at one venue I went to, straggly facial hair was combined with horrible old trousers complete with cycle clips, which were kept on for the whole night :sick: )But what sort of percentage of people is this, compared to the huge number of gorgeous women (Hayley et al), or hunky male dancegods (Bill) ?!? :whistle: :D

Trampy

ChrisA
20th-April-2004, 11:28 AM
But what sort of percentage of people is this, compared to the huge number of gorgeous, lycra-clad women, or hunky male dancegods?!? :whistle: :D

At the venue with CycleClips man, it was about 60%. One woman told me she wouldn't do the beginners class because of all the weirdos. I joined the class and realised what she was talking about... it was very scary.

That's extreme, of course - but what percentage does it take to put off a woman in her early 20s who's a bit nervous of the whole concept of partner dancing, coming as she may well be from a younger, clubbier scene where even if all the blokes aren't to all the girls' taste, at least they are dressed ok and have showered recently.

Chris

Gadget
20th-April-2004, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by Pammy
I completely agree. People at work smirk when I say I go dancing. They think it's for sad people.
:sigh: muggles.

I think that a few people may initially come for the "singles" aspect - but they continue coming for the "fun" aspect. :D :waycool:

Dreadful Scathe
20th-April-2004, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by Gadget

I think that a few people may initially come for the "singles" aspect - but they continue coming for the "fun" aspect. :D :waycool:

nope. hot babes all the way :)

TheTramp
20th-April-2004, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by Dreadful Scathe
nope. hot babes all the way :) Look. You already got one. Give the rest of us a chance!!!

Trampy

Lynn
20th-April-2004, 02:08 PM
I think people who come along to any sort of mixed social activity solely to find a partner are pretty easy to spot after a fairly short time. That's quite different from going to something you love doing and being on the lookout to meet someone else who also loves it (or even not being on the lookout and meeting someone!) The ones who are there 'on the hunt' tend to stand out, maybe drop out after a while, and move on to something else, unless of course they discover they really do enjoy dancing!

Sheepman
20th-April-2004, 02:36 PM
A friend who is a brilliant dancer once said to me "I can't imagine finding a partner on the dance scene, but then, I can't imagine having a partner who is not a dancer." Is it surprising to know that she is still (happily) single, despite numerous offers from dancers? I think the implication was that dancers are too weird or set in their ways to make suitable partners.
Not being bothered by such issues, Mrs Sheepman and I occasionally speculate over suitable matches, we never get very far!!

Greg

Siobhan (Forum Plant)
22nd-April-2004, 06:23 PM
Not being an outsider then I do not see this as sad, but when trying to drag the lads form work along - they, being outsiders said to me - Ceroc? Is that not a like a sad singles club? Siobhan - I think you misunderstood my point. I do not see this as sad, but as I first wrote, outsiders do.

OK- misunderstood your point- soz... It's just that I just have never heard anyone describe it as a sad singles club, and have told literally loads of people that I do it! And I'm not single anyway, my partner doesn't dance (yet) so maybe outsiders would perceive it differently when someone like me goes to Ceroc.

But whoever mentioned the wierdo's- there are hundreds of them. Hard to stop that though isn't it? This kind of legitimate close body contact with hot babes is bound to attract them. Yuk!

stewart38
23rd-April-2004, 02:42 PM
Im still amazed how so many people have never heard of ceroc and jive you have to go to like 'rock and roll' before you get a glimmer of understanding, ceroc isnt of course like rock and roll

I recently put on this forum I had a partner (long term) that doesnt dance

It hasnt worked out although for some i know it does

So Ill be single at Camber is that sad not being single but saying i will be :yum:

ChrisA
23rd-April-2004, 03:12 PM
But whoever mentioned the wierdo's- there are hundreds of them. Hard to stop that though isn't it? This kind of legitimate close body contact with hot babes is bound to attract them. Yuk!
But what always amazes me is that the hot babes put up with so much from the weirdos.

Chris :confused:

Bill
23rd-April-2004, 04:15 PM
But what sort of percentage of people is this, compared to the huge number of gorgeous women (Hayley et al), or hunky male dancegods (Bill) ?!? :whistle: :D

Trampy

That'll be another Bill then...................... but at least I get 1 out of 3 ( well I think I'm male :what: ).

Bill
23rd-April-2004, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by ChrisA
At the venue with CycleClips man, it was about 60%. One woman told me she wouldn't do the beginners class because of all the weirdos. I joined the class and realised what she was talking about... it was very scary.

Chris

So what makes someone scary or weird ??? I honestly can' t think of anyone at either of the Aberdeen classes I would describe as 'weird'. A range of styles and we've had a couple of men who might have been a little 'too friendly' .......... but maybe I'm wrong. :rolleyes:

Would the woman do the Intermediate class - or are there weirdos there too ? Does wearing different clothes make someone weird ?

Sheepman
23rd-April-2004, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by Bill
Does wearing different clothes make someone weird ? :what: :sad:
Greg

Siobhan (Forum Plant)
24th-April-2004, 06:15 PM
Would the woman do the Intermediate class - or are there weirdos there too ? Does wearing different clothes make someone weird ?
:devil:
Glint in the eye, nasty body odour, hovering around with intent, dreadful dancer who only comes for a grope, double your age, sleazy, and usually badly dressed. Present company accepted and no offence intended.

ChrisA
24th-April-2004, 11:12 PM
So what makes someone scary or weird ???Er, what part of...

"Wore cycle clips for the whole night" didn't you understand?

Bill... this guy turns up at a Ceroc night looking like a tramp (not THE Tramp, you understand :wink: ), and he leaves his cycle clips on.

The whole time. Through the classes, and the freestyle. And I promise you, they were not the weirdest thing about him.

He was ****ing weird, I tell ya.

Chris

fruitcake
25th-April-2004, 08:39 AM

. One just has to be brave and ask.

I agree DAve....... they can only say no!!:really:

fruitcake
25th-April-2004, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by Pammy

They imagine I am the only one who is under 60, without a blue rinse doing ballroom.
:

I have a blue rinse, I'm told it suits me, goes with my eyes!
Actually!:cheers:

philsmove
25th-April-2004, 11:58 AM
I think you must work with some sad people

It was someone from work who got me dancing

:cheers:

Sparkles
20th-June-2004, 02:46 PM
I usually get a few funny looks when I first tell people that I go dancing, but I quickly jump in with a very short explanation of what it's *actually* like and they soon soften up and accept I enjoy it.
If they still look sceptical I usually, very sincerely, offer to take them to a class with me and remind them they have no right to judge if they've never been. This usually results in one of two responses, either they shut firmly up and stop looking at me like I'm a freak or they say "yeah, why not, I'll give it a go!". Either response is fine by me.

bigdjiver
20th-June-2004, 03:12 PM
Why would one need a seperate area??? Surely a thread started as Gadget suggested would be a very good way of starting things and thereafter if you find a partner then it would be better to PM them or e-mail them instead of viewing all thoughts on a forum.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

~ Does a dance forum really require a designated room for partner hunting???? I think yes.<o:p></o:p>

Looking for a partner will, hopefully, be a short term situation, and would be best served in an area where the messages self-destruct after, perhaps, a fortnight. If the quest fails then the poster can re-post, perhaps re-thinking parameters. <o:p></o:p>

It may not just be a partner, it may be dancers, say for a busk, formation team, an unofficial gathering, such as meeting up at a club where there is music and a dance floor.

Why a forum? People can only be at one venue at a time, and talking time eats into dancing time.

Gadget
23rd-September-2004, 01:05 PM
Looking for a partner will, hopefully, be a short term situation, and would be best served in an area where the messages self-destruct after, perhaps, a fortnight. If the quest fails then the poster can re-post, perhaps re-thinking parameters.
Why self-destruct and re-post? why not post a closeing post in the thread you submit saying "I've found someone". If there is no interest, then they can post again under the same thread saying something else.

It may not just be a partner, it may be dancers, say for a busk, formation team, an unofficial gathering, such as meeting up at a club where there is music and a dance floor.
hmmmm... like the "social" area of the forum perchance?
(Actually I think that the current post pending thing in that area is a bit heavy-handed and would be better as re-active moderating rather than pre-active modrating {ie remove "Advertising" posts and inform the user of the policy after they had been posted.})

People can only be at one venue at a time, and talking time eats into dancing time. :yeah:
But I don't think we need a new 'room' (although we seemed to need one for the Big Brother House :what::confused: {:innocent:})

drathzel
23rd-September-2004, 02:03 PM
I'm not sure.

It would be nice to meet someone with similar interests but is it not just a bit cheesey!

Gadget
23rd-September-2004, 02:17 PM
It's finding a partner to dance with: someone to practice and do those [/i]"only do these moves if you've practiced them off the dancefloor with someone"[/i] moves.

While out dancing, you are generally dancing; not going over the same move again and again trying to discover something or get something right. Or trying something slowly to see if it works. Or getting a feel for the correct balance and weight distribution for dips and drops... generally practicing. (Lonley feet rather than a lonely heart :wink: )

drathzel
23rd-September-2004, 04:36 PM
(Lonley feet rather than a lonely heart :wink: )

I have both. I thought it was more for a dance partner but when reading other peoples posts i was getting confussed! :sick: :blush:

bigdjiver
23rd-September-2004, 06:39 PM
Why self-destruct and re-post? why not post a closeing post in the thread you submit saying "I've found someone". If there is no interest, then they can post again under the same thread saying something else. Too many people will not remove outdated requests, so I think a limited shelf life is essential. Out of date info grossly degrades the usefulness, and perception of usefulness, of such postings. I have seen too many poorly maintained notice boards.

I, too, suggested that they could post again if there was no response, and the need was still there.

drathzel
2nd-October-2004, 01:52 PM
Too many people will not remove outdated requests, so I think a limited shelf life is essential. Out of date info grossly degrades the usefulness, and perception of usefulness, of such postings. I have seen too many poorly maintained notice boards.

I, too, suggested that they could post again if there was no response, and the need was still there.

I know. But maybe you could put a closing date on it or somethin (sounds silly but it could work) :clap: