PDA

View Full Version : Aberdeen Beach Ballroom Weekend - 22nd/23rd May

Danger Mouse
14th-April-2004, 06:52 PM
Would an Englishmouse be safe to come to this?

I spotted this on the cerocscotland news and thought it sounded interesting, I've never been to Aberdeen.

I do like the odd Whisky and even had some hagis a few months ago, it was nice honestly, no honestly ;-) and of course there's a monster in Loch Ness, blimey I've seen the little devil, it was a calm windless moonlight night about 10 years ago, I'd just come out of this pub near Drumnadrochit at 11:30pm ish and there it was right in front of me.

How far is the airport from the venue and then I need accommodation nearby, any recommendations on hotels?

Franck
15th-April-2004, 12:28 AM
Originally posted by Danger Mouse

I spotted this on the cerocscotland news and thought it sounded interesting, I've never been to Aberdeen.Hey DangerMouse,

You certainly would be safe to make it to Aberdeen for the brilliant Beach Ballroom week-end.
The general idea is to have a great party night, in one of the best ballrooms in the country (plenty of space and a superb sprung dance floor), dancing goes on until 2.00am, so enough time to dance with everyone.
To make the week-end more special, we also have a guest teacher, teaching a series of 2 hour workshops on the Saturday and the Sunday.

For the 22nd / 23rd May, the guest teachers will be Marc Forster and the lovely Rachel who will teach the following workshops:

Saturday 22nd May (Venue: Ramada Jarvis Hotel, Market Street):
* 11.00am to 1.00pm: Hip Hop - Incorporating hip hop style into your dancing.
* 2.00pm to 4.00pm: Brand New moves - Using the dance space, style and attitude bringing a new dimension to your dancing.

Sunday 23rd May (Venue Northern Hotel, 1 Great Northern Road):
* 11.00am to 1.00pm: Creativity workshop - inventing new moves on the fly. Improvisation techniques for Freestyle.
* 2.00pm to 4.00pm: Introduction to Blues - Getting into a sexy mood on the dance floor.

As usual, you can book any workshop individually (£12.50 each) or get one of the packages:

Silver: any 2 workshops and the party for £30.00
Gold: all 4 workshops and the party for £50.00

How far is the airport from the venue and then I need accommodation nearby, any recommendations on hotels? Not sure of the distance from the airport... someone local might be able to help, but the hotel to stay at is the Patio Hotel (click here for website (http://www.patiohotels.com/patio.hotel/aberdeen.html) ). Make sure you ask for their week-end rate when booking...

TheTramp
15th-April-2004, 01:21 AM
Originally posted by Franck
Not sure of the distance from the airport... someone local might be able to help Hiya DM.

It's about 6-7 miles from Dyce airport to the centre of Aberdeen. When I did it last year, it cost me about £12 for a taxi. There's probably a bus that you could catch too.

Trampy

Gadget
15th-April-2004, 08:51 AM
Originally posted by TheTramp
It's about 6-7 miles from Dyce airport to the centre of Aberdeen. When I did it last year, it cost me about £12 for a taxi. There's probably a bus that you could catch too.
You could catch a bus into the center of Aberdeen (I think that most busses from the airport head that way) and then another one out to the bech, but if there are 2 or more, it's cheaper and more convenient to get a taxi.
(Or, depending on time of arrival, some kind soul could come out and give you a lift :wink: )

Boomer
15th-April-2004, 11:37 AM
Yep, I did. :grin: Good to see Franck actually giving the locations of the workshops... :grin:
Was recently thinking that a beginners Blues workshop, or something similar would be a very good idea, seeing as I've no idea how to dance to the slow ones. Shame I can't make BB this time, would love to do the workshop :sad:

Franck
15th-April-2004, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by Boomer
Yep, I did. :grin: Good to see Franck actually giving the locations of the workshops... :grin: hehe :nice:

I added that just for you Boomer! See! I learn from previous mistakes. :blush:

Shame you won't make it this time, it ought to be a good one again, bookings already flooding in... :waycool:

Franck
6th-May-2004, 11:34 AM
A quick update on the Beach Ballroom party :nice: :waycool:

The DJ line up has now been confirmed, and I'm pleased to announce that following her very popular previous visit last Christmas in Dunblane, Emma (a.k.a. Em-J the DJ from Ceroc Charlton) will be spinning the tunes until midnight, followed by a Blues session until 2.00am from our very own Steve the Tramp - King of Blues!

If you haven't booked for the workshops, make sure you do so very soon as I'm close to starting a waiting list.

The beach ballroom in Aberdeen is an incredible venue, and the end of May is the ideal time to be there, as the beach will be beautiful!

Chicklet
6th-May-2004, 11:39 AM
*cough* would you please be awfully kind and confirm back to people who think they've booked, but haven' t heard??

Franckie, baby, sweetheart, various other crawls, etc

:flower:

Franck
6th-May-2004, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by Chicklet
Franckie, baby, sweetheart, various other crawls, etc Woohoo... I like that in a woman! :devil:

Confirmed all the emails I've received now (including yours CDD :wink: ) so fear not, you *will* go to the ball! :flower:

Franck.

Gadget
6th-May-2004, 12:19 PM
...until 2.00am...
:waycool:

Petal
14th-May-2004, 05:03 PM
[ any recommendations on hotels? [/B]

Looking for recommendations on places to eat on saturday before the party.

Tried the italian and mexican restaurant in condonas in february but there were full. Can anyone given me the names of these two eateries so that i can book it for us this time.

Gadget
14th-May-2004, 05:20 PM
What sort of food do you like?
If you are looking allong the beach, there is a Harry Ramsdens (over-priced chipper), Cafe Contenental (snacks more than food), TGI Fridays (american), Pizza Hut (doh! {with toppings}), Mambo (inside the arcades - limited menu) as well as Chiquita's (mexican) and Frankie & Bennie's (It's called something like that - Itallian) you mentioned.

If you want to head towards town, at the corner of King Street & Union Street you can have the choice of La Lombada (itallian), KuRy (indian), Xu (Chinese), Archibald Simpsons (brewsters pub grub) and heading down Union street there are a mirriad of eateries to match your tastes.
...Actually, 100yards down from there in the Adelphi (little lane) is a Hungarian restraunt that's quite good.

{BTW This end of town is a 5 min walk from the Patio Hotel... erm, but I walk quite quickly, so perhaps 10min}

Petal
17th-May-2004, 09:33 AM
Thanks gadget, Italian or Mexican is what we were looking for, we'll try one of those you mentioned.

Emma
17th-May-2004, 10:01 AM
Emma (a.k.a. Em-J the DJ from Ceroc Charlton) will be spinning the tunes until midnight And i'm really looking forward to it! :grin:

Am currently trying to find a collapsable version of the DJ couch.....:waycool:

Gadget
17th-May-2004, 12:12 PM
Patched together a multimap.co.uk map of Aberdeen for those interested in dining.

1 and 2 are fairly self-explanatory.
3 is the Coddona's Leisure Complex, cinema & eateries mentioned in previous post.
4 are the cluster of restaurants mentioned before.
5 is Union Street - the "centre" of Aberdeen - travelling down it (e-w) you will find the standard city food things; sandwich shops, McDonalds, Burger King (On upper kirkgate, but close enough), KFC, heading down towards 10 & 11 there are a few expensive restaurants.
6 there are a few "coffee shop" style eateries in "the green" and under union street to the back-roads here. Outside of the indoor market, just down from union street, there is a stall that sells fresh droughts... mmmmmm.
7 two 'areas' here; there are steep steps from "bridge street" to "Crown terrace" - at the top are excellent Mexican and Chinese restaurants. Down the street parallel with Union Street is where a lot of clubs spill out onto, so you will find 2 kebab shops, a pizzeria, and a flame-grill burger place (sizzlers - best burgers in town.) There is also a hotel, but I've not eaten there. Just down from union street there is a good Indian as well.
8 "Carmens" is a small Italian cafe on Union Terrace - excellent food, but they don't do evening meals. There is a restaurant beside it, but I can't remember what it currently is/serves. Behind this there is a small "pre-theatre" restaurant - serves "cuisine" rather than food.
9 I'm sure there are a few places to eat around here - this is sort of a "wine-bar" area.
10towards this end of union street are a few restaurants - there is an Italian here and Yu (oriental) just down the street a bit.
11Pizza Express - a nice Italian restaurant - not as tacky as the name suggests. There is an oriental buffet place opposite here - help yourself, all you can eat, fixed price dining... :D It also happens that Jumping Jacks is a stones throw further down.

These are a few highlights, but I've missed loads - any other recommendations?

Tiggerbabe
18th-May-2004, 12:20 AM
OOOOOH! :grin: :grin: Only 5 sleeps to go!

Gadget
18th-May-2004, 08:46 AM
Anyone staying in the Patio Hotel for workshops on Sunday may like to be aware of this:

Title: City Of Aberdeen Baker Hughes 10K And Fun Run
Description: A 10k run, family fun run and wheelchair users run in and around the beach area of Aberdeen. Medals for all 10K finishers and a certificate to all family fun run participants. Prizes awarded to men, women, veterans, juniors, wheelchair users, club teams and corporate teams.

Open to all serious runners and those taking part in the run for the first time.

Race marshalls will steward the course and large signs mark each Km mark. A watering station will be provided at the Beach Esplanade.

ChampionChip - a device that enables an individual recording of a runner's time for the 10K only - will also be available this year.

Venue: Aberdeen Beach and surrounding area.
Date: Sunday 23rd May 2004
Start Time: Wheelchair race - 9.55am; 10K run - 10.00am; Family Fun Run - 10.10am.
End Time: Approx 1.00pm to 2.00pm. First wheelchair competitor expected at 10.20am. First 10k runner expected at 10.30am.

Franck
18th-May-2004, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by Gadget
Patched together a multimap.co.uk map of Aberdeen for those interested in dining. Thanks a lot for that Gadget, very useful map! :D

Just a quick update on availability for the workshops / party.
Party tickets are now almost sold out, only 40/50 tickets left, so if you haven't got yours yet, buy them in Aberdeen or email / phone me.

I still have places for some workshops. Hip hop and New Moves (Saturday workshops) have 4 or 5 spaces for both men and women.
For those of you who were in Southport and enjoyed Marc's Hip Hop class, he's teaching more of it (2 hours on the Saturday morning) and with a smaller class in Aberdeen. If you missed it, there's your chance to catch it.
Sunday workshops: Creativity is almost full, only 2/3 spaces and the Blues workshop only has spaces for men now.

Can't wait for Saturday and I hope we can do the picnic / walk on the beach again this year (after the dancing) :waycool:

Tiggerbabe
18th-May-2004, 09:23 PM
Will we need to get up early to move the car Gadget? Oh I do hope not :wink:

Gadget
19th-May-2004, 08:44 AM
Originally posted by Sheena
Will we need to get up early to move the car Gadget? Oh I do hope not :wink:
There will be streets arround the beach area closed off for certain times... I'll do some digging and let you know. (The beach boulivard will be, and the meeting place for all the runners is normally that large bit of grass between the Patio and the sea - could be noisy with tannoy calls etc.)

Emma
19th-May-2004, 09:04 AM
could be noisy with tannoy calls etc.) *packs earplugs*

Gadget
19th-May-2004, 09:26 AM
You will need to referr to the map posted previously, but this is a list of roads affected...{may also be handy for planning alternative routes - attached map showing where it is and a reference to the previous one.}

The annual Baker Hughes Fun Run will take place on Sunday 23 May. The schedule of temporary traffic orders associated with this is as follows:

Closure

· Beach Esplanade from King Street at Bridge of Don to New Pier Road: 9am - 12noon
· Beach Boulevard from Links Road to Beach Esplanade: 8am - 2pm
· Links Road from Beach Ballroom to Beach Boulevard: 6am - 2pm
· Links Road from Beach Boulevard to Wellington Street:9am - 12noon
· Accommodation Road from Golf Road to Beach Esplanade: 9am - 2pm
· Urquhart Road from Park Road/Park Street to Links Road: 9am - 12noon
· Wellington Street from Beach Esplanade to Waterloo Quay: 9am - 12noon
· St. Clement Street from Wellington Street to Miller Street: 9am - 12noon
· Miller Street from St Clement Street to Commerce Street: 9am - 12noon
· Waterloo Quay from Regent Quay to York Place: 9am - 12noon
· York Place from Waterloo Quay to York Street: 9am - 12noon
· York Street from York Place to Pocra Quay: 9am - 12noon
· Pocra Quay from York Street to New Pier Road: 9am - 12noon
· New Pier Road from Pocra Quay to Beach Esplanade: 9.30am - 10.30am
· Cotton Street from Links Road to Miller Street: 9.30am - 10.30am
· Commerce Street South Bound from Junction: 9.30am - 10.30am
· Virginia Street/Miller Street to Waterloo Quay: 9.30am - 10.30am
· Regent Walk at Golf Road (east bound): 9am - 1pm
· Golf Road from Regent Walk to School Road: 9.30am - 1pm

One Way

· Park Road North Bound from Urquhart Road to Golf Road: 9am - 1pm
· School Road West Bound from Golf Road to King Street: 9am - 1pm
· Golf Road North Bound from Park Road to School Road: 9am - 1pm

Waiting Restriction

· Urquhart Road from Links Road to Junction Park Road/Park Street: 6am - 1pm
· Links Road from Beach Boulevard to Beach Ballroom: 6am - 1pm
· Golf Road from Seaforth Road to School Road: 6am - 1pm
· New Pier Road from York Street to Beach Esplanade: 6am - 1pm
· Seaforth Road at Junction with Park Road: 6am - 1pm
· North side of School Road from King Street to Golf Road: 6am - 1pm

No Right turn

· from Linksfield Road on to Golf Road
· from Pittodrie Place on to Golf Road
· from Pittodrie Street onto Golf Road
· from Seaforth Road onto Park Road

Race course vehicles will be exempt.

Tiggerbabe
19th-May-2004, 08:50 PM
could be noisy with tannoy calls etc.)
Ach, I'm sure they won't mind if we make a little noise :wink: :whistle:

Gadget
20th-May-2004, 02:18 PM
Looks like Franck has booked a clear spell...