PDA

View Full Version : Crowded Venues

Gadget
14th-April-2004, 09:25 AM
There was an announcement made last night from the stage about floor craft and watching out for your partner and everyone around. *
I assume that this was made because the venue is getting more crowded (O'Donahughs has always been packed - one of the main reasons I stopped attending) Personally, I would say that the current 'Culter venue is about the maximum number of dancers for comfort. {Am I guilty of being one of the people Lorna was warning of?}

There is a busk planned this weekend - this will probably draw in more people, making venues even more crowded... The question is: how many more dancers are expected to be drawn in from a busk? Was the warning just in preparation for an influx? Does there come a point that there are too many dancers for X venues and there is an argument for starting another one? {<- hopes :nice:}

* (as well as a warning to not lead overly complex moves with beginners. After recent posts I'm beginning to get paranoid here... If someone sees me and thinks I am doing inappropriate moves with beginners; please tell me :tears: )

The Wizard
15th-April-2004, 12:40 AM
Surely there is a maximum number of people at any venue as part of the licence. But it is worth speculating whether there is a difference between the maximum set by the local council (fire brigade) who would grant the licence (which would be higher) and the dance company organising the dance.

Me thinks the dance company will go to the Council's maximum rather than what is comfortable for dancing! :sad:

Franck
15th-April-2004, 12:55 AM
Originally posted by The Wizard
Me thinks the dance company will go to the Council's maximum rather than what is comfortable for dancing! :sad: There is a maximum safety limit on all venues with a 'Public Entertainment License', but this limit is of no use for all and any Ceroc / MJ promoter.
I cannot think of anyone who would allow (knowingly) anywhere near the theoretical maximum in a venue. Typically, you have to half the number to get a decent limit.

Aberdeen has been very busy of late, but is nowhere near over-crowded. Just busy and buzzing! :D

Originally posted by Gadget
There is a busk planned this weekend - this will probably draw in more people, making venues even more crowded... The question is: how many more dancers are expected to be drawn in from a busk? Was the warning just in preparation for an influx? Does there come a point that there are too many dancers for X venues and there is an argument for starting another one? {<- hopes :nice:} We are busking on Saturday because you can never have too many new members, and if we want Aberdeen to remain as vibrant as it is today, we need to bring in new dancers!
Having said that, your hopes and prayers are answered! We are opening a 3rd night in Aberdeen in a new fantastic venue: Jumpin' Jaks (431 Union Street).
The new night will launch with a FREE opening night on Wednesday 28th April...

Jayne
15th-April-2004, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by Franck
I cannot think of anyone who would allow (knowingly) anywhere near the theoretical maximum in a venue.
:whistle: :whistle: :wink: :blush:

Sorry Franck, couldn't resist....

J :flower:

Franck
15th-April-2004, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by Jayne
:whistle: :whistle: :wink: :blush:

Sorry Franck, couldn't resist.... :blush: I was well aware of that when posting the above :wink:
and that's why I added knowingly!
Having said that, we weren't near the maximum number on that night either! :really: