PDA

View Full Version : Get your ass in the grass....

Jive Brummie
10th-April-2004, 11:40 AM
..........for some gardening, that is.:what:

Right, all you green fingered types out there. Don't be shy, help me out. I'm new to all this gardening stuff and of late am sick of seeing my garden look rubbish.

It's neat and tidy but other than that, is pretty naff. Am planning on building a pond in the back some time soon but other than that i have no idea what i'm s'posed to do in the garden at this time of year....

...........help.
:sick:

Fran
10th-April-2004, 12:27 PM
if youo for natural wild life pond then provided it has the correct oxegating plants it will look after itself and you wont need pumps/filters etc. you wil get frogs, newts and other things but it not really meant for fish. Ive just built one - or dug one i should day. You can buy liners but I did it the old fashioned way with a hole the size i wanted - a layer of old carpet to protect from roots, a layer of sand then a covering with the thick black plactic sheeting for ponds. make sure that the black plastic is protected from teh sun at teh top of the pond ( where there is no water) as it will go hard.

at the moment you can be planting out seeds for flowers or buy them already started,.
Planters look good but do need a regular watering. you can buy specail water absorbant crysltals which you mix in with the compost as you plant. If there is nothing really in the garden its a great time to plan it out - the mistake I made when I bulit my house was that i didnt have the time to plan mine properly so I am not going back to do the job better. I did not have enough ever geren foilage as in the cold & wet scottish winter the garden can looka bit miserable without seasonal plants.

happy gardening ( dancing really put a hold on it for me)

Jive Brummie
10th-April-2004, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by Fran
if youo for natural wild life pond then provided it has the correct oxegating plants it will look after itself and you wont need pumps/filters etc. you wil get frogs, newts and other things but it not really meant for fish. Ive just built one - or dug one i should day. You can buy liners but I did it the old fashioned way with a hole the size i wanted - a layer of old carpet to protect from roots, a layer of sand then a covering with the thick black plactic sheeting for ponds. make sure that the black plastic is protected from teh sun at teh top of the pond ( where there is no water) as it will go hard.

at the moment you can be planting out seeds for flowers or buy them already started,.
Planters look good but do need a regular watering. you can buy specail water absorbant crysltals which you mix in with the compost as you plant. If there is nothing really in the garden its a great time to plan it out - the mistake I made when I bulit my house was that i didnt have the time to plan mine properly so I am not going back to do the job better. I did not have enough ever geren foilage as in the cold & wet scottish winter the garden can looka bit miserable without seasonal plants.

happy gardening ( dancing really put a hold on it for me)

:worthy:

I'm impressed. But come on everyone else....share your wisdom as Fran has done!!!!!!

James.......x

Fran
10th-April-2004, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by Jive Brummie
:worthy:

I'm impressed. But come on everyone else....share your wisdom as Fran has done!!!!!!

James.......x

urmmm, not being modest here, not sure that I have any gardening wisdom:what: I just stumble along. but thanks anyway :grin: :hug:

DavidB
11th-April-2004, 10:58 PM
i have no idea what i'm s'posed to do in the garden at this time of year Hire a gardener

Jive Brummie
11th-April-2004, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by DavidB
Hire a gardener

....and that, ladies and gentlemen is why they call him 'The Oracle'..........I thankyou!!!:wink:

Heather
12th-April-2004, 01:16 AM
I can put you in touch with a gardener James, The guy who does my garden, which was a jungle until he took over last year. Reasonable rates !! See you Thursday in Perth - let me know if you are interested- in the gardener, that is !:wink: :rofl:
:hug:
Heather,
X

thewacko
13th-April-2004, 07:48 AM
Originally posted by DavidB
Hire a gardener

the other alternative is to buy lots of broken concrete slabs and crazy pave the bloody lot of it, then once a year or so go round with a watering can full of "pathclear" for the weeds, you can then dedicate the rest of your time to dancing:clap: :clap: :clap:

denise
13th-April-2004, 11:38 AM
James, there is no need for you worry your little head about your garden. It is beautiful..........compared to mine!! What does one do with 8mx4m of garden? You have a lovely bit of ground and may i say its very neat and tidy. i hear the pond is coming on well. You'll have to give me some ideas. Magazines dont seem to give me much inspiration, but they dont give you free seeds!!! (and NO! they're mine!! hehehe)

Denise

TheTramp
13th-April-2004, 12:29 PM
Have to admit that I do like the 'pave it over' idea :D

But then, I do have black fingers!

Trampy

thewacko
13th-April-2004, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by TheTramp
Have to admit that I do like the 'pave it over' idea :D

But then, I do have black fingers!

Trampy

Its nice to know there are truew gardeners out there just like me:clap: :clap: :clap:

Jive Brummie
13th-April-2004, 02:36 PM
....pave it over???.....PAVE IT OVER!!!

Percy Thrower (sp?) would be turning in his grave.

Have put the finishing touches to the pond today. Over the past 2.5 days, i've dug it out, sanded, line'd and filled it, then paved the edge and also stone chipped/cobbled it. Today i've put some plants in too.......... Have to be honest, I'm dead chuffed with my wee-self.

Quick question though........are all lillie's expensive....mine cost £18!!!!! (DavidB...answers on a postcard:wink: )

More top tips required please.

James.........x

p.s. I did get some help!!....free manual labour......

thewacko
13th-April-2004, 02:40 PM
....pave it over???.....PAVE IT OVER!!!

Percy Thrower (sp?) would be turning in his grave.

More top tips required please.

James.........x

:devil: you could always extend the pond

a venice garden would look quite nice, but the price of gondolas these days:cheers:

filthycute
14th-April-2004, 01:29 PM
........are all lillie's expensive....mine cost £18!!!!!

James.........x

JEESY PEEPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You wait till i get home mister!!!!!!:angry: :angry:
You kept that little beauty quiet!

Miss Hutton x

TheTramp
14th-April-2004, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by filthycute
JEESY PEEPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Are you sure that you didn't mean CHEESY PEEPS?????????

Trampy

Pammy
14th-April-2004, 01:48 PM
Perhaps we should start a plant swapping scheme to cut down on costs. They are indeed very expensive.

Here is my garden; you know me and my photos :grin:

I love gardening. My garden isn't huge, but it is a little oasis in the middle of busy old Watford. I like cottage garden plants - things like Foxgloves (my favourites) Delphiniums & Lupins, plus any sort of herby plant.

I also enjoy growing my own veg and this year I have an abundance of tomato plants, so if anyone wants one, give me a shout :grin:

I know Lory has a lovely garden I seem to remember a nice snow scene piccie she posted a while back.

J.B. Can you post a picture of the pond so we can all see :nice:

thewacko
14th-April-2004, 02:03 PM
Aint got any plants but found this pic of a garden wiv a pond:whistle:

thewacko
14th-April-2004, 02:05 PM
:yeah:

hey put the plant pot in the corner:rofl: :rofl:

Jayne
14th-April-2004, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by filthycute
Miss Hutton x
And intending to keep it that way if he keeps spending all the money on the garden.... :rofl:

J :wink:

ChrisA
14th-April-2004, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by Jayne
And intending to keep it that way if he keeps spending all the money on the garden.... :rofl:
Hey, don't knock it, J... if they get enough into gardening, their dance practice will be neglected... and one day when we're good enough for the advanced, we might get to compete with them again... and maybe, just maybe...

... ok, I can dream can't I????

:sad: :whistle: :nice:

Jayne
14th-April-2004, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by ChrisA
Hey, don't knock it, J... if they get enough into gardening, their dance practice will be neglected... and one day when we're good enough for the advanced, we might get to compete with them again... and maybe, just maybe...

... ok, I can dream can't I????
Ahhh, bless.....

J :flower:

ChrisA
14th-April-2004, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by Jayne
Ahhh, bless.....

J :flower: http://193.203.244.221/images/midfing2.gif

:wink:

Lory
14th-April-2004, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by Pammy

I know Lory has a lovely garden .....

Thankyou Pammie :flower:

Jayne, sorry to have to inform you, gardening can get quite addictive BUT its basically a daytime hobby, so I doubt it will interfere too much with their dancing! :D

And Melanie, I think JB forgot to tell you something, he lovingly bought the Lilly for you! didn't you JB? :whistle:

Well, here goes, these are my tips for starting a garden, make a plan of the basic shape you want to go for and the theme, i.e. cottage, formal, contempory and stick to it. If you have an excising lawn try using some rope to make shapes around the edge, u can keep standing back till u get the desired shape, then cut out your borders, (clean edges to the grass is one of the most important things for making the garden look instantly neater)

Then go for Shrubs, these will be the 'backbone' for your garden, buy small, their cheaper and have a better success rate, they will soon grow (don't over plant, they will soon spread out) my garden looked very sparse 5 years ago.

I wouldn't bother with seeds and bedding plants the first year, as they work out expensive and you'll have nothing to show for your money next year!

Choosing the shrubs.... It might be a good idea to check what soil type u have, some plants like alkaline and some are acid lovers, the local garden centre will have a good idea, otherwise u can buy soil testing kits quite cheaply look at the label for the height and width growth within 10years, this should give u an idea of how far apart to plant them, and which should go at the back of the borders and visa versa.

I'd then go for contrasting colours and shapes, to group together, groups of 3 or 5 always look better!

I've never really gone for flowers in the borders as I like to have colour all year round from evergreen plants, so I tend to plant up tubs in the summer.

Lastly, don't try to do it all at once, section off a small areas at a time and concentrate just on that, its very disheartening to try and take on the whole garden at once, when u stand back, u hardly notice all your hard work, but if you take on bite sized projects and 'finish it' the sense of achievement is immense!

Good luck its a great hobby!

Here a few pics of mine!

Lory
14th-April-2004, 03:49 PM
Opps the pics didnt work!

Lory
14th-April-2004, 03:50 PM
~

CJ
14th-April-2004, 03:51 PM
... Anyone want to come and sort my back garden?!?:wink:

thewacko
14th-April-2004, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by Ceroc Jock
... Anyone want to come and sort my back garden?!?:wink:

:wink: Have concrete mixer, can travel:cheers:

Lory
14th-April-2004, 03:54 PM

thewacko
14th-April-2004, 03:56 PM
dig up the grass, pull out the plants, pave the bugger, it could look luvverly:wink:

Pammy
14th-April-2004, 04:01 PM
Very nice Lory. Thanks for posting those.

Anyone else got any?

Pamster
x

CJ
14th-April-2004, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by thewacko
:wink: Have concrete mixer, can travel:cheers:

My back garden craves something a little more solid.... :sick:

Lynn
14th-April-2004, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by Lory
... look at the label for the height and width growth within 10years ...or longer...my parents bought a small tree (18") about 20 years ago - and now it looks like something you put outside a town hall at Christmas... Fortunately they knew what they were doing - which is more than I do.

My house came complete with a garden of pebbles (not paving) and I have lots of pots, some with small shrubs - but I think my favourite are winter flowering pansies - I have lovely bright colours all year round.

thewacko
14th-April-2004, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by Lynn
[BMy house came complete with a garden of pebbles (not paving) . [/B]

:clap: close enough :whistle:

rubble would have been better:wink:

Pammy
14th-April-2004, 04:57 PM
My house came complete with a garden of pebbles (not paving) and I have lots of pots, some with small shrubs - but I think my favourite are winter flowering pansies - I have lovely bright colours all year round.

Sounds lovely - come on Lynn, post a piccie :nice:

Lynn
14th-April-2004, 05:41 PM
Sounds lovely - come on Lynn, post a piccie :nice:
I don't think I have any recent ones :blush: and haven't got a digital camera. Its at the front, not much space out the back (and it is concrete) just a flower bed and patio - but don't mind as front is south facing and have a stepping stone path, lovely bench etc. Though I wish I had a lovely south facing back garden like yours Pammy!

Jive Brummie
14th-April-2004, 05:47 PM
Right, thanks everyone for the top tips.

Now i need some names please of plants. I know i need to find out what soil i have first but surely there must be some good all rounders.

I need plants for part-shaded area's, quite damp/wet areas and sunny areas as it seems we have it all in our garden.!!!!

As for the piccy of the pond...i'll do my best.

Oh, and in all those plant name's you lovley people are going to give me, can you also tell me the rough size they'll all grow to, as i want a good bit of depth in there too......

Ta very much. Hope i'm not asking for too much.

James........x

philsmove
14th-April-2004, 08:12 PM
Ethel tells me you can get them at B&Q (BRISTOL Hatcliff) for under a fiver

Sorry Im have not worked out how to post a photo yet

Pammy
15th-April-2004, 09:11 AM
My favourite of the last few years is a wet loving perennial verbena that has purple leaves and the most striking scarlett plume flowers. Homebase are doing them for 3.99 each at the moment and they are gorgeous.

B&Q are probably the cheapest for plants, although the variety will be somewhat limited. If you want to get some basics though, for not too big a spend, I'd definitely recommend them. I always go there for my annuals as you get 30 pansies/lobelias/whatevers for about 4 quid - a bargain!

Px

thewacko
15th-April-2004, 09:19 AM
B&Q also do a loveley range of paving slabs, you can get white or pink, or if your really adventurous you could mix the two

ooooh a loveley chequor board effect:worthy: :worthy: :worthy:

Boomer
15th-April-2004, 11:20 AM
Right, thanks everyone for the top tips.

Now i need some names please of plants. I know i need to find out what soil i have first but surely there must be some good all rounders.
Cacti. Low maintenence, unusual spikey but starngely appealing...anyone else resemble their favourite plant?

Lynn
15th-April-2004, 11:52 AM
My shrubs are hydrangea (needs somewhere not too dry/sunny), peiries (sp?), ie Forest flame and a small tree - no idea what it is but we found it at the dump! Someone had thrown it away because the pot it was in had broken - we repotted it and it looks great. Still learning about gardening, as I have mainly pots its a lot of watering in the summer, once or twice a day, but worth it!

thewacko
15th-April-2004, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by Boomer
Cacti. Low maintenence, unusual spikey but starngely appealing...anyone else resemble their favourite plant?

Dandilions and long grass have a certain appeal as well, its that tuffty look that appeals to me (and other wild life):rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Stuart M
15th-April-2004, 01:00 PM
Shouldn't this thread be Outside? :rolleyes:

OK crap joke...I'll go away and talk about dancing then...

thewacko
15th-April-2004, 01:07 PM
...anyone else resemble their favourite plant?

Here are a few pictures of some of my friends ....

make up your own minds

thewacko
15th-April-2004, 01:07 PM
:yeah:

thewacko
15th-April-2004, 01:09 PM
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
and ...

Pammy
15th-April-2004, 02:14 PM
Forest flame

They are lovely aren't they :nice:

Lynn
15th-April-2004, 10:56 PM
They are lovely aren't they :nice: Especially at this time of year (as long as there are no late frosts - I used to put plastic over it at night if there was going to be a frost - don't know if it helped or not! Now I have moved it to a more sheltered spot.)

I viewed a house tonight with a huge tarmaced area at the back - and beyond that a tiered garden with steps going really high - terraces of shrubs, and one for BBQs and right at the top (about level with the roof of the two storey house!) a little hidden grassy area, really cute - though pretty impossible to get a lawnmower near!

Pammy
16th-April-2004, 09:19 AM
though pretty impossible to get a lawnmower near!

I still have a push lawnmower. Got it at a car boot sale for £7; absolute bargain! I prefer it so much to an electric one - keeps you fit and no "water" worries, plus you can have it "in, out and done :blush: in five minutes"

Lynn
16th-April-2004, 12:15 PM
I still have a push lawnmower. A push mower would help with the distance from electric supply but you would need some sort of pulley system installed to get it up to the garden bit! I drove past that house again today - and sadly the sheer height of the sloping garden means it shades itself from the sun - so probably not a goer. Would a great venue for BBQs though!

Pammy
16th-April-2004, 02:01 PM
Would a great venue for BBQs though!

BBQs???? :yum:

Now you're talking :cheers:

Pammy
16th-April-2004, 02:23 PM
NOTICE:

For all the green fingered mob, B&Q has 20% off plants today. Just been and their selection is by far the best around. Got six mixed foxgloves for £4.00 - all nice sixed plants, plus 30 verbenas for 3.19.

Lynn - get yourself down to your nearest store and stock up :grin:

Bardsey
16th-April-2004, 02:38 PM
Here are a few pictures of some of my friends ....

make up your own minds

Just out of interest, I used to own a greengrocers shop and the wholesalers who I got my stuff from were the children (or was it grandchildren) of the guy who wrote Bill and Ben. He wrote it about himself, his brother and Little Weed was their sister. Just a piece of useless info on this rainy day!

Lory
16th-April-2004, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by Bardsey
Just a piece of useless info on this rainy day! Rainy day:confused: it's absolutly beautiful here in London :waycool: and I'm just about to take Pammie's advice and head for B&Q to get some bedding plants! :grin:

Bardsey
16th-April-2004, 03:04 PM
Rainy day:confused: it's absolutly beautiful here in London :waycool: and I'm just about to take Pammie's advice and head for B&Q to get some bedding plants! :grin:

Go on then, rub it in mate! Very overcast with a fair bit of rain on and off up here in deepest darkest Yorkshire! Still, if the sun's gonna shine on anyone, I can't think of anyone better than my lovely southern friends :kiss:

Pammy
16th-April-2004, 03:09 PM
Rainy day:confused: it's absolutly beautiful here in London :waycool: and I'm just about to take Pammie's advice and head for B&Q to get some bedding plants! :grin:

Best thing is, just realised looking at my receipt, I didn't get charged for the foxglove collection :grin:

Bardsey
16th-April-2004, 03:11 PM
Best thing is, just realised looking at my receipt, I didn't get charged for the foxglove collection :grin:

It must be a lucky time for you........you get the sun :waycool: and free plants :flower:

Pammy
16th-April-2004, 03:25 PM
It must be a lucky time for you........you get the sun :waycool: and free plants :flower:

Yes :grin: and Yes :grin: but NO :tears: not lucky enough to not be at work and enjoying them! :rofl:

Bardsey
16th-April-2004, 03:30 PM
Yes :grin: and Yes :grin: but NO :tears: not lucky enough to not be at work and enjoying them! :rofl:

Flippin' work.......doesn't it interfere with our social lives? :sad:

Lynn
16th-April-2004, 06:34 PM
Lynn - get yourself down to your nearest store and stock up :grin: Would do that - except heading out to dance soon! :clap: B&Q had 50% off a few weeks ago - got violas, pansies and geraniums :) I really love a bargain!

Flippin' work.......doesn't it interfere with our social lives? :sad: I know, it can be really irritating!

Probably not a good time to mention I work from home a couple of days a week and on a nice afternoon can head down to the local park and catch up on my work on a cloudy evening.

thewacko
19th-April-2004, 01:50 AM
Go on then, rub it in mate! Very overcast with a fair bit of rain on and off up here in deepest darkest Yorkshire!

Don't worry It comes to the best of us - did you see the london marathon - absolutely pi**ed it down.

:blush: Ok I know you have been trying to ignore my gardening! tips but on a serious note (god forbid) there was a home and garden programme on telly this morning (sunday) that featured a garden in Ripon, where this bloke transformed a scraggy old front garden into a very nice feature with topiary whatsits and raised beds with roses and a smart path. (mind you it looked blooming expensive and seem to put certan peoples £18 lillies to shame)

:waycool: see low maintenance and beautiful, with just a hint of concrete and bricks :cheers:

Pammy
19th-April-2004, 09:08 AM
:waycool: see low maintenance and beautiful, with just a hint of concrete and bricks :cheers:

At least you don't get left with scraggy old hands from digging and clipping all day Saturday - apologies to anyone who had to put up with my rough hands at Hammersmith :blush:

Lory
19th-April-2004, 09:44 AM
At least you don't get left with scraggy old hands from digging and clipping all day Saturday - apologies to anyone who had to put up with my rough hands at Hammersmith :blush: Pammie, you need to invest in some Marigolds, of the rubber variety! :wink:

Bardsey, you got me back! It poured and poured all day yesterday! :angry: I was going to 'weed and feed' the lawn on Saturday but I was kna..tired by the end of the day, now I'm kicking my self as, you have to do it when it's dry but rain is expected within 48hours, Saturday would have been perfect :tears:

The saying 'never put off today, what you could do tomorrow' annoying springs to mind!:rolleyes:

Pammy
19th-April-2004, 12:18 PM
you have to do it when it's dry but rain is expected within 48hours, Saturday would have been perfect :tears:

I tried one of those last year, but my lawn stayed brownish for quite a while. This year, I dug all the dandylions out by hand - about 50 of them :tears:

Bardsey
19th-April-2004, 12:21 PM
I tried one of those last year, but my lawn stayed brownish for quite a while. This year, I dug all the dandylions out by hand - about 50 of them :tears:

You're such a Trojan, I'm well impressed !:flower:

Lory
19th-April-2004, 01:21 PM

I know, the moss turns black and you have to rake it out :rolleyes:
As for digging Dandelions out by hand! :worthy:

thewacko
19th-April-2004, 05:06 PM

I prefer to see a bunch of roses or marigolds on my table, but each to their own.

hee hee back to the silly mode again:rofl:

Pammy
19th-April-2004, 05:13 PM
I prefer to see a bunch of roses or marigolds on my table, but each to their own.

I thought you'd have gone for a brick and a cup of sand ? :what:

:rofl:

thewacko
19th-April-2004, 05:15 PM
I thought you'd have gone for a brick and a cup of sand ? :what:

:rofl:

Dont be silly, they are on the mantle peice, not on the table - you women have no idea:wink:

dee
19th-April-2004, 05:32 PM
Opps the pics didnt work!

Ok Lory, when do you fancy a trip to Buckinghamshire? your garden is fantastic!!, i have a field of a garden, and really dont have green fingers, sister says i should use it for boot sales and make some money, somehow i dont think the neighbours would approve.

How do you put pics on this site? :flower:

dee
19th-April-2004, 05:38 PM

I tend to have plenty of the nettle range, stinging i think, oh and lots of brambles great for those blackberry pies :rofl:

thewacko
19th-April-2004, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by dee
I tend to have plenty of the nettle range, stinging i think, oh and lots of brambles great for those blackberry pies :rofl:

a perfect garden to concrete up :wink:

yipee:cheers:

philsmove
19th-April-2004, 09:55 PM
The perfect lawn needs weeding feeding cutting about the same number of times you go dancing a week

It’s a tough life
:cheers:

thewacko
20th-April-2004, 08:58 AM
Originally posted by philsmove
The perfect lawn needs weeding feeding cutting about the same number of times you go dancing a week

It’s a tough life

I am glad I do not currently have a lawn, else I would be cutting, weeding.feeding it about 4-5 times a week!

so I stand by my previous statement - a perfect garden to concrete up

Pammy
20th-April-2004, 09:32 AM
so I stand by my previous statement - a perfect garden to concrete up

Bet you have one of those BBQs built from a couple of breeze blocks - right? :rofl:

thewacko
20th-April-2004, 09:34 AM
Bet you have one of those BBQs built from a couple of breeze blocks - right? :rofl:

B&Q do these great barbecues that when you have finished you throw them away - no cleaning up afterwards

hey hey:clap:

Pammy
20th-April-2004, 09:36 AM
B&Q do these great barbecues that when you have finished you throw them away - no cleaning up afterwards

Throw away? Nah, just concrete over them :grin:

thewacko
20th-April-2004, 09:39 AM
Throw away? Nah, just concrete over them :grin:

DO YOU MIND:what:

some of us are trying to have a serious gardening discussion here:blush:

besides disposable barbecues make terrible paving slabs, as they keep giving way underfoot . . .

Now the burgers that I cook on a barbecue would make perfect paving slabs:drool:

Pammy
20th-April-2004, 09:45 AM
Wacko: Wait a minute, you'd better watch your back in your garden. Sounds a dangerous place. Sort of place you lay down to catch the rays and before you know it, someone's concreted over you as well...

Those burgers sound like economy ones to me - nothing worse than a 40% offle, 50% water, 5% salt & sugar and of course 5% concrete in a burger... :rofl:

thewacko
20th-April-2004, 09:59 AM
Wacko: Wait a minute, you'd better watch your back in your garden. Sounds a dangerous place. Sort of place you lay down to catch the rays and before you know it, someone's concreted over you as well...

Those burgers sound like economy ones to me - nothing worse than a 40% offle, 50% water, 5% salt & sugar and of course 5% concrete in a burger... :rofl:

:worthy: :worthy:

dee
20th-April-2004, 02:24 PM

Those burgers sound like economy ones to me - nothing worse than a 40% offle, 50% water, 5% salt & sugar and of course 5% concrete in a burger... :rofl: [/B]

You lot are so funny, can always guarantee a laugh on this forum :rofl: :rofl:

Bardsey
20th-April-2004, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by dee
You lot are so funny, can always guarantee a laugh on this forum :rofl: :rofl:

We aim to please! Actually, that's why most of us are on here too, its always good for a laugh :waycool:

dee
20th-April-2004, 02:31 PM
Wait til you see the pics of my garden, now that will guarantee a laugh. Lory just taught me how to do it, all i need to do is find some great ones and scan them in... Watch this space

Pammy
20th-April-2004, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by dee
Watch this space

Come on Dee, a concrete burger is yours for the first picture, plus, Bardsey will throw in one of DS's economy blue bangers as well - just keep your eyes peeled for a roaming Sheepy.

Pamster
x

thewacko
20th-April-2004, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by dee
Wait til you see the pics of my garden, now that will guarantee a laugh. Lory just taught me how to do it, all i need to do is find some great ones and scan them in... Watch this space

I must admit, if I had a photo of the garden in my house in Yorkshire, you would all be proud of me. as it consists of various trenches, half built brick walls and piles of bricks. Plus semi made terraces - would have looked nice had I had time to finish it:sad:

Alas I had to leave that behind, when seperating from my other half, so now i have to look out onto by bro's fully completed garden and do nowt but drink wine or beer or vodka and reminisc

Bardsey
20th-April-2004, 03:54 PM

Alas I had to leave that behind, when seperating from my other half, so now i have to look out onto by bro's fully completed garden and do nowt but drink wine or beer or vodka and reminisc

And whatsmore, you had to leave Yorkshire, I can feel your pain :tears:

dee
20th-April-2004, 05:13 PM
And whatsmore, you had to leave Yorkshire, I can feel your pain :tears:

Me to :tears:

dee
20th-April-2004, 09:43 PM
Tried to send in a pic of my garden but they come up to large. What am i doing wrong

Hevmac
21st-April-2004, 08:35 AM
Gardening AND dancing !!! What could be more perfect than a day spent in the garden followed by a night spent dancin'? well with a shower in between...oh and some food/wine??

James, don't profess to be a knowledgeble gardener but find that living in Scotland like fran said you do have to watch what you buy for your garden. Best thing is to look in other gardens around you and 1. see what you like and 2. what is surviving! That said my garden seems quite sheltered and things that are supposed to be less hardy do go through our winters, though I suspect they may not in Aberdeen.

I think someone said to get some shrubs in, for structure. Thats a good idea then I must admit I tend to choose the other plants depending on what is in and what is in flower! Not very scientific and only works if you keep popping back at different times of the year I guess as otherwise your plants fower at the same time!

You are very welcome to come and visit my garden and pinch a few plants. Always a good way to establish a garden. Alternatley we could all bring a plant along to Mondays class?!
Also have lots of books to borrow.....enough I am in danger of becoming a 'gareden bore'!!
if I can find a picture I will post.:flower:

Pammy
21st-April-2004, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by dee
Tried to send in a pic of my garden but they come up to large. What am i doing wrong

You could try reducing the size in your photo editing package before posting it. E.g. resize 50% until when you view in "full screen" it doesn't appear massive, then save it and post it.

Pamster
x

philsmove
21st-April-2004, 10:40 PM
Can someone do a “dummies guide to posting photos” or show me were the instructions are

Pammy
22nd-April-2004, 09:36 AM
Can someone do a “dummies guide to posting photos” or show me were the instructions are

When you view the photo on screen at 100% in whatever editor you use, it can't be too big - if it is, reduce the size proportionally so it's say not more than 5 inches wide (e.g. at 100% it fits about half of your pc screen).

You need to save it as something like a jpg in order to view it on here - so do file saveas and change the file type if necessary - now when you're posting a reply, underneath the box you type in, you'll see an Options section, and also and Attach File section. Click the browse button on the Attach File section and locate the photo you want to submit. At the end just click, Submit Reply as usual and your photo will be uploaded at the bottom of your post.

Hope this helps.

Pamster

Missy D
22nd-April-2004, 05:14 PM
Dee just buy a goat that'll keep the the nettles down.

Maybe you should think of doing a garden party like peter does with the local transport over the back sure many people would come. You could also charge them to look at your pets corner. Hey maybe sheepy could taste some of your special cat fur ball cakes too.

My garden is in a state too especially after the sewer collapsed in December - thought i would have many plants growing after 3 weeks of organic sewerage but, no! oh well might keep the mosquitoes down this year. Anyone want to come round for a bbq? with a real log fire too:rofl:

Lory
22nd-April-2004, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by Missy D
Anyone want to come round for a bbq? with a real log fire too:rofl:
I might have been tempted, seeing as I could walk to your house from mine but for some reason the log fire doesn't appeal that much! :sick: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

dee
22nd-April-2004, 06:42 PM
Ok here goes my garden, with a little help from Gadget :flower:

Emma
22nd-April-2004, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by Heather MacLean
. Best thing is to look in other gardens around you and 1. see what you like and 2. what is surviving!
~snip~
Alternatley we could all bring a plant along to Mondays class?!
Yeah, chat up your neighbours and ask for bits...go to your friend's gardens and get cuttings and seedlings. It's really nice a few years on to go around the garden and go 'oh that came from so-and-so'.

Also bear in mind that cutting the grass always makes it look 4 times better (and if you can get someone else to cut the grass so much the better!!) :flower:

philsmove
22nd-April-2004, 07:48 PM
note BQ water lillis under ice

fruitcake
22nd-April-2004, 09:39 PM
I am so impressed that Gadget helped in your Garden, ALL the way from Scotland too, now I know who to ask!
Philsmove- I WANT YOUR GARDEN!
Mine is two patches of floopy lookin grass that needs love and attention, aah!

Lory
22nd-April-2004, 10:14 PM
WOW Phil, your garden is absolutly beautiful! :worthy:

I'd love to see a pic of it now, without the snow! Please!

Some of my busy lizzys, that I hadn't got round to planting up yet, got a touch of frost bite the other morning! :tears:

Gadget
23rd-April-2004, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by fruitcake
I am so impressed that Gadget helped in your Garden, ALL the way from Scotland too, now I know who to ask!
Yea - took me ages to go round all those blades of grass with the white paint. :wink:

Must admit - Phil's garden does look very nice.
I have two trees, a brick BBQ, some grass, some bark chippings, a sand-pit, some decking and a little bit of slabbing in mine. My garden maintenance consists of mowing the lawn, raking the bark and firing waterpistols at cats.

Missy D
23rd-April-2004, 09:26 AM
Is it real Phil! What a beautiful garden! Bet its a close up of your Horrnby train layout really:rofl:

dee
23rd-April-2004, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by Missy D
Is it real Phil! What a beautiful garden! Bet its a close up of your Horrnby train layout really:rofl:

No one has a garden that nice, well except Lory, sure they are making it up and got the pictures off the net:wink:

philsmove
23rd-April-2004, 12:37 PM
[QUOTE]Bet its a close up of your Horrnby train layout really

Sadly my Dad gave my train set away ages ago

It was a Horby 3 rail complete with Mallard :mad:

Fruitcake - look at your garden as a blank canvas

A few years ago, mine was gravel and weeds

Then I met this lady at LeRoc

She made a drawing of what it should like

I don’t think, she thought I would actually do it

But one has to do something, when not dancing

philsmove
23rd-April-2004, 12:39 PM
still trying to get the atttachment thingy to work

fruitcake
23rd-April-2004, 12:40 PM
[QUOTE]Fruitcake - look at your garden as a blank canvas

:what: It is a blank canvas.....with a whirly in the middle:really:

dee
23rd-April-2004, 01:47 PM
[QUOTE]

She made a drawing of what it should like

Ok so i need this leroc lady to look at my photo and draw me what my garden should look like, and invite you over for a few weeks i would love to have a garden, that resembled a garden, and not a field :flower:

Sheepman
2nd-June-2004, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by dee
Ok here goes my garden, I think there's room for a bouncy castle in there dee :wink:
Well if dee is brave enough to post that pic of her garden, I suppose I should do mine. I must point out that this is the best it is ever likely to look (until we move out that is.)

Forte
4th-June-2004, 09:11 AM
I was in a hoose in St Monans for a barbie last Sunday...friend of a friend... never been before and they had an average sized garden but boy was it gorgeous! They had a huge pond, a rock waterfall and huge fish, frogs and plants in the pond. You would never go out! It really was "another room" and added so much to the house. There were wind chimes at the bottom of the garden, too. Very tranquil. The owner said it took ages to build (she id it herself) and she seemed unaware of how much impact it had on everyone else. Gorgeous and well worth the effort I'd say.

thewacko
4th-June-2004, 09:18 AM
Oh dear, I have got to admit I am buying a maisonette in Crayford, and one of its selling features was the garden, with it's rambling path, pond, and decked area. it is set out in such a way that one does not see the next area until you aproach it and looks absolutely gorgeus, especially when compared to a neighbours garden which is a large rectangle of lawn. This will actually mean that I may have to re-look through this thread once I move in to discover things about plants, instead of ripping it all out and concreting over it all.

Forte
4th-June-2004, 09:20 AM
. This will actually mean that I may have to re-look through this thread once I move in to discover things about plants, instead of ripping it all out and concreting over it all.

:really: :really: :what:

Concrete it over!! Don't you dare!

thewacko
4th-June-2004, 09:25 AM
:really: :really: :what:

Concrete it over!! Don't you dare!
ok I may just crazy pave it with a few pots with dandilions in em - oooh bliss :eek: :worthy: :worthy:

philsmove
8th-August-2004, 05:24 PM
I'd love to see a pic of it now, without the snow! Please!

sorry for the delay

Pammy
9th-August-2004, 09:22 AM
sorry for the delay

Wow, that's some garden :worthy:

I love the Monet bridge.

Thanks for posting that piccy.

Pamster
:flower:

Gadget
26th-June-2006, 08:53 PM
Since the weather's nice, I thought I would resurrect this thread :D
{BTW I don't have a fish-eye lense, so had to stitch and twist some photos together - the decking isn't that esceresque :wink: }

littlewiggle
26th-June-2006, 09:02 PM
Aint got any plants but found this pic of a garden wiv a pond:whistle:

I'm still laughing...........call that a garden! :grin: That's not a garden :D
I adore gardening and have bought a big greenhouse this year - it's currently like a jungle in there. I am very proud to say I have tomatoes, courgettes, aubergines, cucumbers and peppers! I'm afraid I've got a bit carried away and shall be feeding the forum! Oh ....and I put in about 300 bedding plants....all home grown! Not that I'm blowing my own trumpet or anything........... :whistle:

LW x

Twirly
26th-June-2006, 10:29 PM
I'm still laughing...........call that a garden! :grin: That's not a garden :D
I adore gardening and have bought a big greenhouse this year - it's currently like a jungle in there. I am very proud to say I have tomatoes, courgettes, aubergines, cucumbers and peppers! I'm afraid I've got a bit carried away and shall be feeding the forum! Oh ....and I put in about 300 bedding plants....all home grown! Not that I'm blowing my own trumpet or anything........... :whistle:

LW x

Hmm, sounds like we should get you together with Beo who seems to be into the cooking for a forum dinner with all those lovely veggies growing... :yum: :drool:

God, and I've all I've got is some window boxes suffering from greenfly. Wish I had a garden :tears:

Beowulf
26th-June-2006, 10:36 PM
hahaha nice going.. just pimp out my cooking abilities why don't you ;) xx

Twirly
26th-June-2006, 10:44 PM
hahaha nice going.. just pimp out my cooking abilities why don't you ;) xx

Well, you've been doing such a good job of advertising them :wink:

I'll be sous chef :yum:

Beowulf
26th-June-2006, 10:48 PM
well with those ingredients I'd probably add a selection of beans and make a vegetarian healthy option chilli with wild rice

or some nice chicken breast , into kebabs with the assorted veg with a honey and ginger glaze roasted over an open flame, served with a cous cous salad.

Twirly
26th-June-2006, 10:51 PM
I'll be sous chef for the veggie part then! What about a nice ratatouille? Or grilled veggie kebabs with a bit of halloumi between?

Beowulf
26th-June-2006, 10:53 PM
hmm yes, that sound quite nice.. am not a big fan of goats (or is it sheeps?) cheese but it does sound nice.

a nice simple ratatouille is always a good fall back.. good comfort food that !

Twirly
26th-June-2006, 10:57 PM
Think it might be sheeps - but whatever, it's squeaky cheese! Have heard it described as the veggie equivalent of bacon.

philsmove
26th-June-2006, 11:47 PM
Since the weather's nice, I}

its pouring with rain here

this is 10 days ago

dee
27th-June-2006, 08:10 AM
OMG i have just seen my garden i posted on here a few years back :what: how dare i post such a thing. I will post a recent one later

littlewiggle
6th-July-2006, 09:44 PM
Help! A disaster has struck..................overnight thousands - and I mean thousands of caterpillars have appeared in my garden - everywhere - lawn , patio, veg plot......YUK! How can I get rid of them. Don't fancy BBQ surrounded by caterpillars! Every time I look there are more of them..................................vile!

philsmove
6th-July-2006, 09:55 PM
Help! A disaster has struck!

http://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profiles0800/cabbage_caterpillars.asp

littlewiggle
6th-July-2006, 10:21 PM
http://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profiles0800/cabbage_caterpillars.asp

Cheers! I'm off to get some spray tomorrow - wanted to try and stay organic but when there are literally thousands of them, I've got to get rid of them as soon as possible. They are the large cabbage white variety apparently!

philsmove
9th-July-2006, 01:06 PM
taken today

littlewiggle
9th-July-2006, 02:20 PM
taken today

Sold! I'll take it!:D

Tazmanian Devil
9th-July-2006, 02:45 PM
This will actually mean that I may have to re-look through this thread once I move in to discover things about plants, instead of ripping it all out and concreting over it all.

You Gardening??? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

*ooh my sides hurt*

I think that is me doing all the hard work in the garden!!!

*quote from the other day when the wacko returned from work*

"agghhh what have you done to all the weeds I can find my way through the garden" :rofl:

dee
10th-July-2006, 12:37 PM
taken today

WOW!!!! how beautiful :what: