PDA

View Full Version : A new type of dancer?

DavidY
9th-April-2004, 11:51 AM
According to New Scientist (http://www.newscientist.com/news/news.jsp?id=ns99994845), Sony have developed a robot that can dance.

There's a video here (http://pc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/2003/1218/sony_06.wmv) showing them in action, but be warned it's a big download (7Mb or so) so I wouldn't bother unless you have broadband or similar. Also I couldn't get it to work on my old PC. :sad: :blush:

Buit what would happen if dancing robots were introduced to Modern Jive? :devil: Would you dance with one?

Chicklet
9th-April-2004, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by DavidY

Buit what would happen if dancing robots were introduced to Modern Jive? :devil: Would you dance with one?
I'm sure many women at least would say they already have and could name you a few......:devil: :blush:

Steven
9th-April-2004, 12:19 PM
Has to be said that must have taken a hell of a lot of work. Fairly impressive but I doubt they would ever manage the lead follow aspect of ceroc.

Would be interesting if they could get them to interpret the music somehow rather than following a set of programmed instructions.

Cheers
Steven

Flash
9th-April-2004, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by Steven
Fairly impressive but I doubt they would ever manage the lead follow aspect of ceroc.

Even as a human, well, non-robot at least, I confess to having difficulty with that whole letting the guys lead concept.
:confused:

ChrisA
9th-April-2004, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by Flash
Even as a human, well, non-robot at least, I confess to having difficulty with that whole letting the guys lead concept.
:confused:
Well, you don't have to - just find some guys that are happy to follow, and learn to lead. There are a few of them around.

However, there should be only one lead at a time. Otherwise, we call it wrestling, not dancing :D

Chris

Fran
9th-April-2004, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by ChrisA

However, there should be only one lead at a time. Otherwise, we call it wrestling, not dancing :D

Chris

and it would be very messy when the mud come on. :what:

I had some really enjoyable and lovely dances with you in blackpool Chris and i am disapointed that I probebly wont make it tomorrow night at the ball to ask you for another:sad: but if you at Hipsters on wed next week bill and i will be there - if there is a space on your dance card that woyuld be great. :nice:

Fran

ChrisA
9th-April-2004, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by Fran
I had some really enjoyable and lovely dances with you in blackpool Chris and i am disapointed that I probebly wont make it tomorrow night at the ball to ask you for another:sad: but if you at Hipsters on wed next week bill and i will be there - if there is a space on your dance card that would be great. :nice:

Dance card being cleared as I type... :wink:

What a treat to see you this far south :flower:

I'll certainly be there (I invariably am, but even if I wasn't I would be now...) ... and with Jayne glued to Bill :rolleyes: the coast should be clear for us :wink:

Don't get your hopes too far up, though, re the atmosphere at Hipsters on Wednesday - it's in a state of flux at the moment, so the numbers are a bit variable. But there's always lots of space to dance and Roger's freestyle sets have been pretty good recently.

You're not around Tuesday as well are you, so that you could sample both days??

Chris :hug:

Fran
9th-April-2004, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by ChrisA
Dance card being cleared as I type... :wink:

What a treat to see you this far south :flower:

I'll certainly be there (I invariably am, but even if I wasn't I would be now...) ... and with Jayne glued to Bill :rolleyes: the coast should be clear for us :wink:

You're not around Tuesday as well are you, so that you could sample both days??

Chris :hug:

oh thankyou.
Im much quieter than Bill in the dance circut, he'll no doubt be busy and I would love some more dances with you would be fabby. :grin: ( even if he wasnt busy)

we are around on the tue and might pop in we havent decided yet. I enjoyed hipsters the best on a wednesday night the last time I went because it was quieter and there was room to dance so I am looking forward to it.

If Im lucky I might get the odd dance with bill :rolleyes: :wink: - even though we know we are not naturals at competitions our practice has been practically none existant since blackpool.
:what:

have fun this weekend
:hug:
fran

fruitcake
9th-April-2004, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by DavidY
According to New Scientist (http://www.newscientist.com/news/news.jsp?id=ns99994845), Sony have developed a robot that can dance.

I wonder which new scientist that was?
I bought one 3 days ago, half read it, (the one with methane on mars in it) left it for 5 minutes, 5 MINUTES, at my club, and its walked!
Hah!