PDA

View Full Version : Latin Jive .... WHat is it?

Gus
6th-April-2004, 01:59 PM
Couple times recently ended talking to people about Latin jive. I'd started coming from the point of using the phrase to describe the Ballroom type of dancing prevalent at Blackpool, but other seem to take it to mean a Salsa/MJ fusion. anyone care to venture what it actually means ... is there a standard definition/understanding?? Or is Salsa and Latin the same kind of thing ... just different:confused: :tears:

Chicklet
6th-April-2004, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by Gus
... is there a standard definition/understanding?? :eek: like you're going to get that here :rofl:

I'll start with an easy one that *surely* can't be negated:

To my eye it's upright, body and often most noticably head.
(sits back to await negashun (sic)):D

Stuart M
6th-April-2004, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by Gus
I'd started coming from the point of using the phrase to describe the Ballroom type of dancing prevalent at Blackpool, but other seem to take it to mean a Salsa/MJ fusion. anyone care to venture what it actually means ... is there a standard definition/understanding??
Bit worrying...next thing you know there'll be competition categories, lists of permitted and banned moves, entry criteria, weekenders with "No club-style jiving permitted".... :what:

Like you Gus, I'd always thought it meant a certain style - bit more of a frame, more hip movement, mambo steps at every opportunity, that sort of thing (I'm certainly not qualified to define it - just my perception). Whereas club-style jiving was lower, more legs-apart with big steps, bouncy at the knees etc. I'd suggest Latin-style and Ballroom-style are not quite the same thing however - I would see Ballroom as being more upright with less hip movement, more elegant/ less sexy. But again, generalisations.

One thing I love about Modern Jive is how different the styling can be among people doing what are technically the same moves - I'd hate to see one style predominate over others.

Emma
6th-April-2004, 02:57 PM
...and is it the same as Tango Jive....or am I barking up the wrong dancestyle? :nice:

Chicklet
6th-April-2004, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by Stuart M
more elegant/ less sexy.

One thing I love about Modern Jive is how different the styling can be among people doing what are technically the same moves - I'd hate to see one style predominate over others.
Totally agree with the last bit here.

on the first bit, at the risk of meandering a trifle off thread...does this mean elegant isn't sexy???

Chicklet
6th-April-2004, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by Gus
I'd started coming from the point of using the phrase to describe the Ballroom type of dancing prevalent at Blackpool,

but other seem to take it to mean a Salsa/MJ fusion.

so did they call what you called Latin style, Ballroom style?, because their latin was more specific and / or had to include particular moves, which in that case might not be a latin ~style~ (somebody teach me to font) but actually a latin ~dance~???

I know what I mean, not sure if anone else will....

C

Stuart M
6th-April-2004, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by Chicklet
...does this mean elegant isn't sexy???
Fair comment...I was thinking more Salsa sexy than, say, Tango sexy. But Tango's Latin, not Ballroom...hmm.

Gus
6th-April-2004, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by Stuart M
Fair comment...I was thinking more Salsa sexy than, say, Tango sexy. But Tango's Latin, not Ballroom...hmm.

Aha ... I think you begin to understand my confusion. Interestingly my partner (Dusky Helen) has been described as having a 'Latin' style and so when I dance with her I tend to change my style to suit ... but I would then describe my movement as more Tango-esque, if I was being kind to myself

Martin
6th-April-2004, 03:57 PM
Modern Jive, Ceroc etc, is often refered to in Mebourne and Newcastle (aussie newcastle) as being Latin Jive.

I think Melbourne describes it as Dirty Latin Jive.

Not sure where Club jive fits in though :wink:

Great to meet up with you at Stompin Gus :cheers:

Gus
6th-April-2004, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by Martin
Not sure where Club jive fits in though :wink:

Not sure that Club Jive fits in anywhere :sick: Cant get any (many?) DJs out of our area to play decent club music to dance to:angry: Hence me running the Club Jive workshops to try to achieve a greater appreciation .... {will get off the sermon box now}

Back to the thread ..... is 'Salsa Fusion' included under Latin Jive or is it another beat entirely. How would you describe Viktor's style of MJ (other than awesome).

Lounge Lizard
6th-April-2004, 04:09 PM
I take latin jive to be an incorporation of any latin based dance style AND moves into an MJ freestyle or workshop

I often teach with cross body lead moves and a salsa style step.

when I teach beginners I always point out that with Salsa and other latin styles we step WITH our partner whereas with MJ or lindy we step away from our partner, creating the 'spring' or sometimes bounce associated with MJ

So to me latin style also requires stepping into your partners space plus moves and style - this can work great to blues, softSwing pop or dance music.

At our next Amphill blues workshop we will be adopting this style of dance a lot.
LL (Latin Lizard:rofl: )

Fran
6th-April-2004, 04:32 PM
well that wsa embarresing - just posted tis on the wrong thread!! - dumb blonde moment or what!!!!

I think there has been a influence of the latin comming into jive, i personally have liked what I've seen. This yera at blackpool I saw female dancers who had changed their dance style from previous years to incorporate small touches.

I do think its also notiable that that in competitions the "dress style" has also been influenced. There are a more sparkley latin style dresses worn by ladies in competitions now than in previous year and high shoes - just wish I could wear the shoes and still dance!!!

looking forward to hearing you music at Beach Boogie Peter - lots of blues -

fran

DavidB
6th-April-2004, 05:55 PM
To me there is a big difference between authentic latin dances (eg Tango, Salsa etc) and the Ballroom style Latin dances.

This follows on into Modern Jive. Some people talk about a 'Latin' style doing well in competitions. Others try to blend Latin moves and attitude into their dancing. There is a big difference.

The 'Latin Competition' style has little to do with 'Latin' and a lot to do with presentation and performance, and ideas from the Ballroom world. I'd suggest keeping the 'Latin' description just for the fusion styles.

David

spindr
17th-August-2004, 03:31 PM
Thought I'd resurrect this thread, and give everyone the opportunity to comment again, especially given recent posts.

To me Latin Jive would be a fusion of latin american dance, e.g. mambo, salsa, cha-cha, lambada, etc. to jive -- so I would expect mambo footwork, cuccarachas, Cuban hip action -- multiple spins/turns, shines, footwork, ladies styling, body rolls, etc.

SpinDr.

P.S. I have a recurring thought that Latin jive should be learning to Ceroc in togas; "Sinister, dexter, sinister, dexter" :)

Rhythm King
17th-August-2004, 04:19 PM
P.S. I have a recurring thought that Latin jive should be learning to Ceroc in togas; "Sinister, dexter, sinister, dexter" :)

"So Class, all IV moves together: -

quinque, sex, septem, octo..."

cerocmetro
18th-August-2004, 03:31 PM
I think there has been a influence of the latin comming into jive, i personally have liked what I've seen. This yera at blackpool I saw female dancers who had changed their dance style from previous years to incorporate small touches. fran

I am going to enjoy this coz I love what is happening in Ceroc at the moment.

Latin Jive, forgive humble little me but what are we talking about exactly here. I see it as this. About five years ago we started to hear Latin music becoming more dominant in the pop charts. It therefore naturally followed that we heard it played at Ceroc. I would just like to mention here that one of CerocMetro's DJ's Tezi, found a track called Latin Lover. She is a bit of a secret really between her and another CerocMetro DJ, Jon Brett we tend to lead the way in new tracks and dare I say styles. (I am sure I am setting myself up here). :devil: but bring it on if I don't think CerocMetro and all its crew are the best on the planet then why am I bothering getting out of bed in the morning :whistle:

Anyway, getting back to the thread, :rolleyes: Ceroc lets not forget is aimed at the masses. The majority come along to the classes for fun, not to become great dancers. If LAtin music is flavour of the month, then if a teacher is offering Ceroc with Latin style then hey guess what it sells and lets not kid ourselves we are running Ceroc to make money.

Latin Style. For the majority, teach a bit of footwork, a mambo, a manhatten, a bit of hip rolling, a bit of attitude raise the odd arm/hand above the head, even shout oley. It works and the punters are happy bunnies.

For the more serious, if you want LAtin dancing, then go and do ballroom, or salsa.

So what is LAtin Jive? To me Ceroc danced to Latin music with the dancers putting on a bit of latin attitude. :flower:

I teach a music interpretation workshop. Quite a few of you in Scotland have done it. I hopefully showed you how you can dance Ceroc to Swing, Blues, and yes Latin music. The idea was to show you how to adapt your attitude to enjoy the different styles of music without having to go very far outside your ceroc environment. It is possible and as Fran says competitors have gone that way and it looks great. Latin is in, well until it is out and something else is in :sick:

Adam