PDA

View Full Version : Battle of the DJs

Gus
4th-April-2004, 09:26 PM
Ok ..... an extract from our current publicity:

Our May freestyle (Sat 1st May)will be a very special one. The night will host the first heat of the National Modern Jive DJ Champs. There will be 4 DJs to going head to head, playing their best music. They will judges will be YOU, the dancers.

The Contenders so far are (subject to confirmation);

Neil Franks from Blitz Chester
‘Dance Demon’ from Route 66 (Edinburgh)
John Baker from Ceroc Solihull
Joel Murphy from Barnside Jive

Spot anyone familiar :wink:

Sorry for the lousy timing but as the Ceroc Champs gave bu**ger all notice they were going ahead I'd already got things organised. So, if you want to support Scotland's representative and hear some really good tracks, come along to Northwich.:grin:

This heat is a 'proof' of concept'. If it works out a number of other dance orgnanisations are interested in running local heats. I've still got a load of interested DJs to invite up for another heat later in the year. If it works, think there would be enough interest for a Scotland heat?

Dance Demon
26th-April-2004, 06:46 PM
So.......anyone not going to the Ceroc Champs.......going to this ?
I know one or two travelling down from Scotland..:D

Alfie
27th-April-2004, 06:53 AM
Yep, me and the boss lady will be there. Night off though , no shoes just us.

Gus
27th-April-2004, 08:10 AM
Originally posted by Gus
The Contenders so far are (subject to confirmation);

Neil Franks from Blitz Chester
‘Dance Demon’ from Route 66 (Edinburgh)
John Baker from Ceroc Solihull
Joel Murphy from Barnside Jive

Slight change to plan. Injuries have meant we are down to a straight Head to Head ..... Dance Demon v John Baker ... two strong lads with good form ..... likely to go the full distance Harry.

Surprising amount of interest ... its a new format for the MJ arena and I'm not totally sure how the dancing public will react .... but as we're averaging about 170+ dancers I'm sure we'll still have a good party.

But the questions remains, Scotland v West Mids .... who will be victorious????

DavidY
27th-April-2004, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by Dance Demon
So.......anyone not going to the Ceroc Champs.......going to this ? I did toy with the idea of doing both... but I think I may give the Champs a miss this year.:sad:

I do intend to get to Northwich though. :D

One question which occured to me the other day. Is there any danger that we'll hear the same tracks repeated by the different DJs. I'd probably prefer not to dance to too many tracks twice in one night..

Chicklet
27th-April-2004, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by DavidY
One question which occured to me the other day. Is there any danger that we'll hear the same tracks repeated by the different DJs. I'd probably prefer not to dance to too many tracks twice in one night..

Speaking purely as an outsider I would have thought that making sure this didn't happen would be one of the skills on the night, part of the beauty of the format is that, as it's head to head, two tracks each (I think!?) both will have to be thinking on their feet to make nice segues......and speaking as ever so slightly an INsider - there's not a chance in Hammersmith (geddit:wink: ) that the other chap is gonna play what DD will play!!!

see you there David!!!

DavidY
27th-April-2004, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by Chicklet
Speaking purely as an outsider I would have thought that making sure this didn't happen would be one of the skills on the night, part of the beauty of the format is that, as it's head to head, two tracks each (I think!?) Ah - I wasn't sure if it was going to be like that, or if each DJ was playing a short set of eg. half an hour or so.

I guess the latter would give more chance of having duplicate tracks on playlists (and give an advantage to whoever went first I suppose).

Do we dancers get to vote at the end? If there's an evening where the DJs swap every 2 tracks I may need to bring pen and paper & take notes on which songs I like best as otherwise I won't be able to keep track (if that's the word) :wink: ?

there's not a chance in Hammersmith (geddit:wink: ) that the other chap is gonna play what DD will play!!!I guess it would be more of an issue if the original 4 DJs were coming - with more chance of overlap of style.

see you there David!!! You'll be there then? Looking forward to a dance or few ..:clap: :hug:

Chicklet
27th-April-2004, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by DavidY
You'll be there then? Looking forward to a dance or few ..:clap: :hug:
I'll be the quiet shy one in the corner dressed in matt black.....or maybe not.....:devil:

Dave Hancock
27th-April-2004, 01:49 PM
I'll be the quiet shy one in the corner dressed

Sounds to me like you're turning into Linda:wink:

Chicklet
27th-April-2004, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by Dave Hancock
Sounds to me like you're turning into Linda:wink:

oooh if only!!!
actually, *remembers* you can thank me later for Linda still being available for next week, she had another (long, complicated and involved) offer from quite a bizzare chap that we had to escape with the old can't_POSSIBLY_go_to_the_loo_on_my_own trick.:D

Dave Hancock
27th-April-2004, 02:03 PM
I was getting that story yesterday and I'm lucky indeed as I'm led to believe that the chap in question has a good record in comp's and has only failed to progress past the first round of any competition on one occassion! Puts the prssure on you know.

Dance Demon
27th-April-2004, 04:39 PM
......and speaking as ever so slightly an INsider - there's not a chance in Hammersmith (geddit:wink: ) that the other chap is gonna play what DD will play!!!

see you there David!!!

Ah Chickie......you know me so well..:D :D :D :wink:

Daisy Chain
27th-April-2004, 07:31 PM
Now, shall I vote for Terry Wogan or shall I vote for the DJ who plays the most Shaky? :wink: Oh decisions, decisions....

Daisy

Chicklet
28th-April-2004, 08:48 AM
Originally posted by Daisy Chain
Now, shall I vote for Terry Wogan or shall I vote for the DJ who plays the most Shaky? :wink: Oh decisions, decisions....
Daisy

What about the one that plays the most 'riginals of Shaky tracks??Good compromise??? Hmmmm...wonder who it might be???:waycool:
Hope this means you're going and we can put faces to names!:D

Daisy Chain
28th-April-2004, 12:06 PM
Hope this means you're going and we can put faces to names!:D

Sadly not, but I will be sending in a postal vote

Daisy

Dave Hancock
28th-April-2004, 12:08 PM
Does this mean that Daisy Chain shall be in London at the weekend at the Ceroc champs??

Daisy Chain
28th-April-2004, 12:21 PM
Does this mean that Daisy Chain shall be in London at the weekend at the Ceroc champs??

Depends if I can decide whether I'm intermediate or advanced.

I'm not very good at decisions :confused:

Daisy

Dave Hancock
28th-April-2004, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by Daisy Chain
Depends if I can decide whether I'm intermediate or advanced.

:confused: :confused: What does it matter what category you are?? And shall I be blessed with a dance??

Daisy Chain
28th-April-2004, 12:36 PM
:confused: :confused: What does it matter what category you are?? And shall I be blessed with a dance??

Depends if I can get near you for adoring females :flower:

Dave Hancock
28th-April-2004, 12:39 PM
I don't think you'll have too much to worry about somehow, but thank you for the kind words :hug:

Daisy Chain
28th-April-2004, 12:41 PM
I don't think you'll have too much to worry about somehow, but thank you for the kind words :hug:

It has happened before. :tears: Have they all gone off you?

Dave Hancock
28th-April-2004, 12:46 PM
Not been aware of this, but was hardly asked at Camber so yes they must be going off me, just as this has gone off topic, apologies Gus and hope you introduce yourself at the weekend DC as not awfully sure who you are!

Gus
28th-April-2004, 01:38 PM
Well .... the DJs are in the final stages of preparation (:grin: ) and all I've got to work out is how the heck I'm going to get two sets of kit working without any interference .... no worries :sick:

Must admit to being a bit nervous. We are constantly trying to be innovative ... but there is still a risk that at the end of the day the dancers don’t like the event. Having said that, with the two DJs ready to take part the event should be a roaring success and lay the foundation for Head to Head contests at venues through the rest of the UK. If dancers are interested they should start mentioning the idea to their local franchisees and suggest DJs they would like to see slugging it out. How about CJ v Curtain ... a no holds 10 round fight to the death. Want to place your bets ... HEY ... thats an idea of making extra money:wink:

Chicklet
28th-April-2004, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by Gus
. How about CJ v Curtain ... a no holds 10 round fight to the death. Want to place your bets ... HEY ... thats an idea of making extra money:wink:
there'd have to be a written rule about the use of light sabres I think.:eek:

Gadget
28th-April-2004, 02:09 PM
there'd have to be a written rule about the use of light sabres I think.:eek:
what, like "only one dis-memberment per round" or something?

...Curtain; I am your father... :rofl:

spindr
28th-April-2004, 10:05 PM
Surely the only rule you need when DJs fight it out is: no scratching!

Tiggerbabe
30th-April-2004, 09:47 PM
GOOD LUCK DD - The Scottish Contingent down in London for the Champs will all be thinking about you tomorrow night :hug: :hug:

Sure you'll play a fab set :worthy: - have a great party :kiss:

Dance Demon
30th-April-2004, 10:54 PM
Cheers Sheena. looking forward to it, and I'm sure I'll have a great time whatever the result. maybe see you at the Invercarse on Monday Night, where I'll be deputising for Craig.........& good luck to y'all in London.....:clap: :clap:

Chicklet
3rd-May-2004, 09:28 AM
Well back from the sunny south and have to report had a great time! The night went with a great swing (possibly more of a SWING than they are used to:eek: ) in spite of a technical hitch or two at the start, (you really need to hire a 14 year old boy to be doing the stuff with the wires Gus! :flower: )

Good to see DavidY up avisitin, we were first on the empty floor :grin: no shyness among forum members!! Alfie and his (much more attractive:wink: ) better half were there in style too and didn't we look like a chocolate box stood together!!!

Both DJs rose to the challenge and played some really great stuff with JohnSouth just pipping JohnNorth at the post, but even to other, unbiased, eyes there wasn't a lot in it!

Just one thing to point out Gus- you really shouldn't be FORCING your visitors into doing cartwheels in the middle of the dance floor, especially the ones in frocks and beehives!!!!!!

Anyone who hasn't been to a Northwich night really should give it a go if they get a chance! Really is a great venue and the crowd were friendly. The bloke that runs it is alright too but just don't expect him to stand still for more than 20 seconds!:what:

C:D

Alfie
3rd-May-2004, 10:26 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Chicklet
[B]

Alfie and his (much more attractive:wink: ) better half were there in style too and didn't we look like a chocolate box stood together!!!

A bit square but both with soft centers????? or would you be refering to my stunning last minute choice of bright red trousers to complement that gorgeous frock you had on. We were the best dressed people in the room

Both DJs rose to the challenge and played some really great stuff with JohnSouth just pipping JohnNorth at the post, but even to other, unbiased, eyes there wasn't a lot in it!

My vote went to Mr Demon I am deffinately going to try and get up to one of his gigs later in the year.

thankyou for the dances Chickie see you at Southport:clap: :clap: :clap:

DavidY
3rd-May-2004, 02:57 PM
Good to see DavidY up avisitin, we were first on the empty floor :grin: no shyness among forum members!! :yeah: :hug: :flower:
There was:
(a) music
(b) someone to dance with (wearing a lovely red dress that swooshed round very stylishly on the spins)
(c) space to dance :devil:
so why waste good dancing time with shyness? :confused:

A most enjoyable night (can't get to the next Northwich though :tears: ).

Dance Demon
3rd-May-2004, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by Alfie
[B

My vote went to Mr Demon I am deffinately going to try and get up to one of his gigs later in the year.

[/B]

Yay Alfie...I'll look forward to seeing you. We had a fab time, and what a great venue. I played a Route 66 set(under pressure from Chickie:D ). Had hoped to get another spell to play some more MJ type stuff, but there was no time coz it all ended at midnight. When is England going to drag it'd licensing laws into the 21st century?.......
Well done to big john for a cracking set. I found it hard to select just`10 tracks, and kept changing my mind all the time.....but it was great fun:waycool: Thanks for inviting me down to take part Gus. I'm sure Mrs d & me will be back down sometime.
Oh...and Chickie.......our very own Ronnette.....you looked FAB:hug: :hug: :kiss:......and that cartwheel.........:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Gus
3rd-May-2004, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by Dance Demon
and Chickie.......and that cartwheel.........:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

AND I MISSED IT:tears: :tears: :tears:

That tradgedy aside .... what a wonderfull night (including even the minor technical hitches earlier on). Two cracking DJs entertained well over 200 eager dancers ..... great contest and has proven that this Battle of the DJs event is a great crowd pleaser. A huge thanks to both Johns for making it a superb night .... sets a high standard for young Lounge Lizard to meet when he plays at our June gig :wink:

djsaz
13th-July-2004, 05:35 PM
june - have i missed something, like taking part? help, not fair!!

xx

Gus
13th-July-2004, 11:24 PM
june - have i missed something, like taking part? help, not fair!!

xx

Well ...we're going to give it another go at our September event and if that goes as well as the last one then we'll start pushing it again. I still think the best idea is for local organisations to run thier own events ... think Jive+ were interested but no-one yet has actually done something about it.

Gordon J Pownall
14th-July-2004, 12:00 AM
Well ...we're going to give it another go at our September event and if that goes as well as the last one then we'll start pushing it again. I still think the best idea is for local organisations to run thier own events ... think Jive+ were interested but no-one yet has actually done something about it.
:yeah:

Have a word with Adam, Gus...I'm sure he would be willing to host a battle of the DJs at one of the Friday night bashes down here .... just as long as DJ Bunnie gets an entry... :hug:

Oooops....I meant invite.... :really:

(no..not now dear - in a minute I'm on the forum......) :blush: