PDA

View Full Version : Something interesting to say...

Geordieed
30th-March-2004, 03:10 PM
There doesn't seem to be as many interesting points of views from certain dancers to read anymore.

ChrisA
30th-March-2004, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by Geordieed
There doesn't seem to be as many interesting points of views from certain dancers to read anymore.
Well why don't you write some then?

:devil:

Geordieed
30th-March-2004, 04:19 PM
You know it's funny but the more you learn the more you realise that you are not qualified to say that much. I am listening alot more.

One thing that I have learnt recently that helps alot is grounding. That's about it really.

Where you been MrA on a Friday. Paul is doing an all day workshop in May if you are interested.

ChrisA
30th-March-2004, 04:29 PM
You know it's funny but the more you learn the more you realise that you are not qualified to say that much. I am listening alot more.

Maybe there are those that would like to hear even from those that think they're not qualified. It would be a pretty dull forum if no one posted because of this...

One thing that I have learnt recently that helps alot is grounding. That's about it really.

What's that?

Where you been MrA on a Friday. Paul is doing an all day workshop in May if you are interested.
I certainly would be...

I've kind of lost my WC confidence since Xmas. And now there's a bit of a barrier to overcome... :tears:

Chris

Dreadful Scathe
30th-March-2004, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by ChrisA
Maybe there are those that would like to hear even from those that think they're not qualified. It would be a pretty dull forum if no one posted because of this...

Every utterance makes us more popular with some and less popular with others at the same time - some people even manage the popularity shift in equal amounts both ways. I just appeal to my fans as I know everyone else is a figment of my imagination anyway.

posted by Gadget Man

replied to by ChrisA
What's that?

Its when you attach yourself to a metal pylon during thunderstorms!

See, now everyone* is really eager to hear what i have to say next :)

*Except for those of you who dont actually exist.

Geordieed
30th-March-2004, 04:57 PM
Oh yes I am bang smack in the middle of learing how to prep the next part of a lead at the end of a move. Have been watching the likes of Kyle and Jordan and have not finished finding out about it. It is really subtle and not to be used with any big movement.

Again too much of a beginner to know much more about it.

Will listen and learn now.

Bill
30th-March-2004, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by Dreadful Scathe
[B]I just appeal to my fans as I know everyone else is a figment of my imagination anyway.

B]

You have an imagination.......................:na: :whistle: :D

Bill
30th-March-2004, 05:06 PM

It has gone a little quiet since Blackpool....................... maybe most points have been covered as there is some repetition of issues on some threads.

Try not to put forward any interesting points of view.......... did it once and then people thought I might actually know something :what: :blush: :na:

Dreadful Scathe
30th-March-2004, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by Bill
You have an imagination.......................:na: :whistle: :D

I most certainly do oh strange figment of my imagination :). I once thought that I could reshape the world in my own image, have everyone believe what i believe and act the way i act. I lived in this world for some time, but there was no one to talk to. I knew what they would reply to any question, they saw what i saw and there were no suprises or revelations. Cuddly smurf toys were everywhere but they no longer brought me joy. I committed suicide and the world ended. No more anything. Sad really but if it proves anything, which it er..doesn't, it proves that the opposite of YOU is needed simply to have something to fight against.

er..and i always picture you in fishnet stockings but thats less imagination and more down to memory :).

TheTramp
30th-March-2004, 05:14 PM
You've really gotta hate that memory sometimes, haven't you, DS...!! :whistle:

Trampy

DavidB
30th-March-2004, 05:17 PM
One thing that I have learnt recently that helps alot is grounding.You don't hear too much about 'grounding' in Modern Jive, although it might be if interest to anyone who talks about footwork.

A simple definition is

(from CentralHome.Com (http://www.centralhome.com/ballroomcountry/dance_tips.htm))
Grounding
The term "grounding" is used in dancing, but many dancers still have a hard time understanding this word. Basically if you can picture yourself walking across an ice rink, most people will try to walk across the ice so that they don't slip and fall. When dancing you want to place your feet on the dance floor like you don't want to let them slip. Accomplishing this requires pressing your center into the ground over top your feet. Your feet must be placed in which ever position that is correct and no movement or adjustments after the placement. This grounding technique will make your footwork cleaner and your balance more solid.

David

Lounge Lizard
30th-March-2004, 05:41 PM
sometimes the thought (and hassle) of being flamed for trying to raise topics for discussion put some off posting
I know I have recently typed replies then deleted rather than post them.

Even when it is made clear it is the topic not the individual is the discussion the sh*t still seems to hit the fan.

I am sure this is a common thing and soon there will be newbies on the forum with foot fully in the mouth.

till then lets all be friends and get on well together............see what I mean just deleted the insulting comments directed at Andy & Chris

I have been talking to Gus about a forum awards thingy for the BFG
Is this a good idea?
what categories [not best dancer more best flame thrower or nicest member etc.

Is there any interest? got any ideas post or PM me
Franck has said it could be done

peter

Chris
30th-March-2004, 08:15 PM

I know a lot of people have just stopped posting. Others have toned down their posts (myself included).

Andy McGregor
30th-March-2004, 11:39 PM
Originally posted by Chris
Others have toned down their posts (myself included).

I agree with Chris. I've also been posting much less. I was hoping to overtake ChrisA on number of postings but this will never happen as I'm here less because I'm getting fed up with being flamed instead of having my postings stimulate debate.

My last few postings have been about the annoyance I feel about the roasting I felt was unjustified regarding my entry into C2D - all they've done is stimulate even more vitriolic insults. Therefore, I do not really feel inspired to secrete the creative juices required to come up with something I think will be entertaining and stimulate further entertaining debate. I like to feel I've contributed some completely useless but entertaining postings but do not feel inclined to continue in the current climate of anger and accusation.

I won't be leaving but I will be reading more and writing less. Which will please some people:tears:

spindr
31st-March-2004, 01:36 AM
Well, I find some of the discussions particularly illuminating; they certainly help me work out which of the winners are stars, and which of the stars are winners.

Like the holiday camp where the girls are looking for husbands, and the husbands are looking for girls -- the situation isn't quite as symmetric as at first glance :)

SpinDr.

Sheepman
31st-March-2004, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by spindr
Well, I find some of the discussions particularly illuminating; . . . :confused: Have I missed something here, or am I just being as dumb as normal? This sounds like an interesting point you are making, but it is too subtle/obscure for me to fathom it.:what:

Please let's keep everything uninteresting for now, 'cos I just don't have the time to get involved. :devil:

Greg

PS I'm just catching up on another thread, and maybe it is all starting to make sense again, it is all just too interesting again!

Bill
31st-March-2004, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by Sheepman
[B
Please let's keep everything uninteresting for now, 'cos I just don't have the time to get involved. :devil:

Greg

[/B]

well I'm doing my best...................... but if I htink of anyhting interesting I'll remember not to add it :rolleyes: :na:

Dreadful Scathe
31st-March-2004, 05:00 PM
but if I htink of anyhting interesting ...

:confused: :D

Jayne
31st-March-2004, 05:12 PM
htink of anyhting
Are you right handed?

J :nice:

CJ
1st-April-2004, 01:02 AM
as one of the more shy retiring types on here, I don't usually say much.

However, I can say that the behaviour of one forumite has disgusted me of late. It may or may not be of interest to you: that's up to you to decide.

Mean time, I'm off to work it out...:sick:

Bill
1st-April-2004, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by Jayne
Are you right handed?

J :nice:

my brain is but my hand isn't.............................. :rolleyes: :na:

and actually I'm ambidextrous ............. I can use either hand :innocent: .....and get just as many typos :rolleyes:

Bill
1st-April-2004, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by Ceroc Jock

However, I can say that the behaviour of one forumite has disgusted me of late. It may or may not be of interest to you: that's up to you to decide.

Mean time, I'm off to work it out...:sick:

oh me too.................. I'm almost interested but might not be the same person as I'm thinking of but if it is I really might be interested but if it's not then I don't give a monkeys :sick: :na:

Pammy
1st-April-2004, 10:22 AM
I don't give a monkeys :sick: :na:

Who'd give a monkey - what a positively horrid thing to do to someone - chimp-o-phobia kicks off again... :tears:

Dreadful Scathe
1st-April-2004, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by Ceroc Jock

However, I can say that the behaviour of one forumite has disgusted me of late.

What did I do ? by the way, you looked smart in that posh restaurant in Edinburgh at lunchtime last week, would have said hello but didnt want to intrude.

Bill
1st-April-2004, 11:47 AM
What did I do ? by the way, you looked smart in that posh restaurant in Edinburgh at lunchtime last week, would have said hello but didnt want to intrude.

:D :whistle: .................oh do tell..........sounds like a story :drool:

Bill
1st-April-2004, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by Pammy
Who'd give a monkey - what a positively horrid thing to do to someone - chimp-o-phobia kicks off again... :tears:

not me......that's why I saiod I don't give a monkeys............. otherwise I'd have said I do give a monkeys which would of course be the opposite - wouldn't it :rolleyes:

but if I did give a monkeys I'd be very careful with it and ensure it was looked after and was well trained. But I'd expect it back - unharmed. Don't you like lovely little chimps ??They could make your tea for you :D

Dreadful Scathe
1st-April-2004, 11:54 AM
But I'd expect it back - unharmed. Don't you like lovely little chimps ??They could make your tea for you :D

Thats monkeyist that is, just because they're known to star in PG Tips adverts doesnt mean you can continue the stereotype willy nilly billy.

:D

i am working today, really.

Bill
1st-April-2004, 11:59 AM
Thats monkeyist that is, just because they're known to star in PG Tips adverts doesnt mean you can continue the stereotype willy nilly billy.

:D

doesn't seem like it :rolleyes:

anyway..........I didn't suggest that was ALL they could do. It's just that I get my little monkey to do all sorts of things....include making the tea. Juts have to be careful when pouring :D :whistle:

Pammy
1st-April-2004, 01:35 PM

Yes, but working on what - that's the scarey thought of the day...

And as for PG Tips adverts - the one with the piano that went down the stairs gave me nightmares as a child - thank god they seem to have dropped them fromt he advertising campaign.

Geordieed
1st-April-2004, 01:54 PM
:cheers: Big thanks to DavidB for the information on the hand lead. Sometimes you see something to window shop for and take it on board and go with what you think you like. Having access to a valued opinion that set me straight was invaluable.

Better go and post my vote on the other thread.

ChrisA did you read the info posted about grounding.

Back to the beginners now.

Dreadful Scathe
1st-April-2004, 02:26 PM
:D :whistle: .................oh do tell..........sounds like a story :drool:

It was a dry day. A cold wind drove the shoppers on Princes Street to pull their cardigans tighter about them as I walked my class round to lunch on Frederick Street. It was a short journey, shortened further by my rendition of "the one about the Bishop and the Nun". Warmth enveloped us with a mild slapping as we stepped off the street. A buxom waitress approached provacativly and asked who the hell we were, or at least thats what it said in her eyes. Luckily, we had a booking. She showed us to our seats.

Having previously ordered, our starters soon came. I had barely started my soup, when i glanced up, spoon hovering under my gormless face. The saloon doors swung open with a bang. In walked Ceroc Jock with a lady friend, his manly hair catching the last gust of wind as the doors swung shut. I shouted 'awright, Bob' in a disturbingly squeeky voice as he nodded his recognition. He continued his journey to a cubicle at the back, his mean eyes scanning for signs of a 'Read it and Weep' t-shirt. Dissapointed, he sat down. I had lunch, which was nice, and sauntered back to the training rooms on Princes Street, a chance to speak to Bob not having presented itself.

I was not to speak to Bob again that day, or the next, or the next...etc....

Sheepman
1st-April-2004, 02:56 PM
Back to the beginners now. :rofl: That would be "beginners" as in the Trampy school of thought would it? :waycool:

Greg

Bill
1st-April-2004, 02:59 PM

great start..........keep it going......I'm getting interested. What was Bob eating ? Who was he with? Did oyu enjoy the meal? What happened to the buxom waitress and what kind of look did she have in her eye when you all left ????????

Better than Crossroads this :what: :D

Geordieed
1st-April-2004, 03:02 PM
:rofl: That would be "beginners" as in the Trampy school of thought would it? :waycool:

Greg

Lory
1st-April-2004, 03:03 PM
great start..........keep it going......I'm getting interested. What was Bob eating ? Who was he with? Did oyu enjoy the meal? What happened to the buxom waitress and what kind of look did she have in her eye when you all left ????????

Better than Crossroads this :what: :D :yeah: :rofl:

Geordieed
1st-April-2004, 03:05 PM
:rofl: That would be "beginners" as in the Trampy school of thought would it? :waycool:

Greg

I will take that as a compliment but that is back to the beginners as in relation to the bar that has been raised since I started doing dance classes on a Friday. It has opened up a new field of dancers to aspire to. Both teacher and in the U.S. Can't wait for the showcase at MJC this year.

TheTramp
1st-April-2004, 03:20 PM
:rofl: That would be "beginners" as in the Trampy school of thought would it? :waycool: People who can't dance?? :tears:

Trampy

Bill
1st-April-2004, 04:14 PM

I fthis was Crossroads then was the buxom waitress and ageing Miss Diane ???? Who was Benny and was Sandy there ???? Did the walls shake and did oyu look up from your meal to see people looking anxiously at each other waiting for a line :sick: