PDA

View Full Version : Ceroc/Jive in Dublin?

Marlene
28th-March-2004, 02:10 PM
Heading for a long weekend in Dublin and looking for a ceroc/jive class/club. Anyone been there and ceroced the night away? Somewhere that plays the kind of music you can ceroc to would be fine. Any info would be great.

John S
28th-March-2004, 05:43 PM
Hi Marlene

A few years ago I went to Dublin and like you tried to get some info beforehand about where it would be possible to do MJ - no luck. Maybe things have changed, but i doubt it - surely there's a commercial opportunity for someone!!!

However, in the local paper there were events in the small ads called "Adult Dancing" which for some reason (can't think why) caught my eye. It turned out these were in big pub-like places with Irish showband sort of music, and at least half of it was danceable - much to the amazement of most of the Dubliners present.

So if you don't get any better answer, try that! Good luck.

Lynn
29th-March-2004, 09:10 AM
Haven't been to Dublin recently but I had come across these when searching the net a while back

Swing Dublin (http:///www.geocities.com/boogiebeatswing/) I think there are details of parties and venues as well as classes (currently running Lindy classes in Terenure) and there is also Jivefever Ireland (http://www.athlone.ie/jivefever/) though I they mainly run classes - but might be able to give you some details of venues.

Let me know how you get on - might pop down some weekend myself.

Lynn

Sheepman
29th-March-2004, 10:47 AM
We lived in Dublin for over 7 years until 1999, and apart from one friend who tried to set up a venue, we found no MJ. It always seemed to impress people whenever we gave it a go at functions/bands. (A bit of a shock when you think the applause is for the band, and you turn round to discover it was for your dancing!)

John's idea is probably your best bet, but don't expect a decent dancefloor. Good to see that Jivefever may be starting in Dublin, perhaps I'll have to delay my next trip until then . . .

Greg

Lynn
29th-March-2004, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by Sheepman
Good to see that Jivefever may be starting in Dublin, perhaps I'll have to delay my next trip until then . . .

Greg
I have only had brief email contact with Jivefever - and it seems to be that they run classes only. Have you come across them before? If they ran events I'm sure I could get a group to travel down sometimes. But maybe they are like us here in Belfast, still a bit small to run events and parties so just dancing in classes and local clubs.

Sheepman
29th-March-2004, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by Lynn
Have you come across them before? No, just looked at their website, and thought it might look promising for things to get kicked off in Dublin.

I think Andy should go there and set up a class, after all, as from today ALL VENUES ARE NO SMOKING!!! Once again Ireland are ahead of us.

(Who mentioned rugby?)

Greg

Marlene
30th-March-2004, 12:48 PM
Thanks for all your helpful advice and tips. I plan to have a ball anyway and I am sure we will find somewhere to dance, even if we do get some:confused: and:really: and even:what:. And of course if things have moved on and there is a rocking(or should I say jiving) good venue, I will let you know.

Lynn
30th-March-2004, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by Marlene
And of course if things have moved on and there is a rocking(or should I say jiving) good venue, I will let you know. Please do, might be down in Dublin myself some time in next month or so.

Jayne
30th-March-2004, 02:12 PM
ooo - I'll be there in the first week of May too!

J :grin:

Sheepman
30th-March-2004, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by Jayne
I'll be there in the first week of May too! That would be from the 1st then would it? :devil:

Greg