PDA

View Full Version : Learning new techniques

Gadget
22nd-March-2004, 01:51 PM
Is it better to concentrate on honing existing techniques(/moves/style/...), or to develop new ones?
I know that the two are not exclusive, but you can bias more towards one or the other.

I picked up a concept from the "blues/swing" party that had never occured to me before and opens up a whole new area of leading; leg leads:
Using slight pressure from touching thigh/knees to guide the lady into a lunge. Only really applicable in close blues style moves, but I imagine that it could be applied to a quite a few of them (Is this actually part of "Blues" dancing?). I'm sure that other movements could be led from this contact, but the first 'exposure' to this concept and one that I am considering experimenting with to learn more.
Bearing in mind the limited number of partners I would actually be able {or willing} to practice this with; is it worth my time? Would I be better utilising these partners in trying to improve another area of my dancing?

spindr
22nd-March-2004, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by Gadget SNIP... I picked up a concept from the "blues/swing" party that had never occured to me before and opens up a whole new area of leading; leg leads:
Using slight pressure from touching thigh/knees to guide the lady into a lunge. Only really applicable in close blues style moves, but I imagine that it could be applied to a quite a few of them (Is this actually part of "Blues" dancing?).

It's not only blues, there's a similar concepts in other dances, e.g. ballroom tango -- upper thigh / knee contact from the man leads the lady to move her leg backwards. Of course if your partners not used to this level of intimacy you might find yourself blacklisted :)

I don't dance blues often, but one "fun" move is to bring your right "inside" knee repeatedly left and right --- slightly knocking the inside of the lady's right and left knees in alternating fashion --- literally a knock-knee'd move.

If you have a good relationship with your partner, you can use your foot to move theirs -- I don't necessarily recommend it with complete strangers / beginners. For example, you *can* use the right inside foot to slide out the lady's left foot to the side -- be careful if you can side-lunge further than your partner. You can then use your left outside foot to drag the lady's right foot -- so both of you close.

Similarly, you can block the lady's foot with yours -- but some followers may *hate it* -- I can't use it to lead one friend, as she it feels like I may trip her up (haven't yet).

At the tango lesson at the "sweary place" they taught a "sandwich" where the man blocks the lady's foot in-between his feet -- haven't found a good reason to use that yet in social jive / blues yet tho'.

I'm sure that other movements could be led from this contact, but the first 'exposure' to this concept and one that I am considering experimenting with to learn more.
Bearing in mind the limited number of partners I would actually be able {or willing} to practice this with; is it worth my time? Would I be better utilising these partners in trying to improve another area of my dancing?

I'd try and introduce new ideas slowly, so that you both have fun dancing -- especially if they haven't done much similar moves before. Have fun!

Neil.

Gadget
23rd-March-2004, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by spindr
Of course if your partners not used to this level of intimacy you might find yourself blacklisted :)
hence the carefull wording: there are only a few partners that I would feel that comfortable with, never mind them :wink:

If you have a good relationship with your partner, you can use your foot to move theirs
it was actually a 'foot sweep' move {my words} which was taught and inspired me. I know a few first-move variations that require a strong "frame" to lead effectivly - combined with using the foot/knee leading it may be able to loosen up the "frame" and have more natural looking/feeling moves.

I'd try and introduce new ideas slowly, so that you both have fun dancing -- especially if they haven't done much similar moves before. Have fun!
Considering it's blues; it can't really be done anything but slowly! :D
...and I always have fun when I'm dancing. :waycool:

ChrisA
23rd-March-2004, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by Gadget
...and I always have fun when I'm dancing. :waycool:
That's nice.

Originally posted by Gadget
Would I be better utilising these partners in trying to improve another area of my dancing?

Do the ones being utilised enjoy it too?

Chris

Jayne
23rd-March-2004, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by ChrisA
Do the ones being utilised enjoy it too?
:yeah: :clap:

spindr
23rd-March-2004, 03:47 PM
Hmmm, that's half why I wrote "so that you both have fun" when I replied to Gadget.

It's a bit picky, but the pedantic in me suggests that one probably utilises a utensil, or a utility. Hmmm, maybe it's time to get the DJs to play Eurythmics "Sweet Dreams Are Made Of This" again... all togther now
"Everybody's looking for something,
Some of them want to use you,
Some of them want to get used by you" :)

SpinDr.

azande
23rd-March-2004, 04:03 PM

Some of them want to get used by you" Some of them want to abuse you,
Some of them want to be abused.

Sorry, I couldn't resist! :wink:

Gadget
23rd-March-2004, 04:12 PM
It's a bit picky, but the pedantic in me suggests that one probably utilises a utensil, or a utility. Hmmm, maybe it's time to get the DJs to play Eurythmics "Sweet Dreams Are Made Of This" again... all togther now
Some of them want to get used by you" :)

SpinDr.
Why do you think I'm called "Gadget"? :rofl: