PDA

View Full Version : May 8th Joe & Trish Sewell Workshop & Blues Party (DJ The Jive Jock)

Daniel Sandars
22nd-March-2004, 11:50 AM
3rd Jook Joint Blues Party & Workshop, May 8th

All sights are set on the next event on May 8th when Joseph and Trisha Sewell come to Ampthill for a 4 hour workshop and evening dance.http://www.bluesdance.org.uk/38399.html

We have secured exclusive use of showering and changing facilities at the adjacent sports hall. This should help our workshop guests freshen up before the evening dance, giving them time to join the rest of us in one of Ampthill's many splendid restaurants. http://www.ampthill.org.uk/

Joe and Trish will be transporting us back to the plantations, cotton fields and Jook joints of the 1920's rural Mississippi delta and up the Blues trail to the industrial centres of Chicago and Detroit and their Barrelhouses and Blues clubs. This is the source of their own very unique Blues style. They will draw that wealth of cultural history forward into contemporary expression on today's Blues dance floor. Novice Blues dancers will not find this workshop impossible.http://www.jiveswing.com

To compliment the style of Joe and Trish and to keep the very high standards set by Peter Phillips we have invited DJ Rob McKim "The Jive Jock" to lead another Blues Party that raises the roof. http://www.jive-junction.demon.co.uk/index.html

We have already had our first reservations from as far a way as 200 miles. Is BluesDance just about to break out on to the National Dance Scene? Our teachers are promoting this event at all the National Modern Jive and Swing dance events.

Ampthill is within easy reach of the M1(J12 & J13) and A1 and Flitwick train station
http://www.multimap.com/map/browse.cgi?client=public&GridE=-0.4962&GridN=52.0313&lon=-0.4962&lat=52.0313&db=hcgaz&addr1=&client=public&addr2=&advanced=&addr3=&pc=&quicksearch=ampthill&scale=100000&cidr_client=none&place=Ampthill,Bedfordshire

Ticket Only £22.50 for the workshop (12:30-5:00pm), £7.00 for Blues Party (8:00pm-11:45pm) or £25.00 for both. Evening tickets on the door £8.00 (if any left). Numbers will be limited to maintain a relaxed intimate atmosphere of collision free dancing and a near one to one rapport with the teachers and DJ.

Interested? then check availability BluesMan (bluesman@bluesdance.org.uk)
-------------
Dan

Daniel Sandars
5th-April-2004, 01:19 PM
Workshop down to the last 10 places. Still space at Rob McKim's Blues Party

Daniel Sandars
19th-April-2004, 12:58 PM
Workshop fully booked, some travelling over 200 miles for this special class by Joe and Trisha Sewell

Evening Blues Party selling well. Fancy a taste of the Blues with DJ Rob McKim?

Message to Bigdjiver and Yogi_bear. Marc and Rachel are on for the evening Blues Party

Yogi_Bear
19th-April-2004, 05:38 PM
Daniel
Sounds good....I think I have a dance reserved with Rachel :)
yb

Daniel Sandars
30th-April-2004, 10:48 AM
10 days to go for the third 'Jook Joint' Blues party and...

May 8th Joe and Trisha's Blues Workshop sold out, with 10 waiting in the queue.

May 8th DJ Rob McKim's Evening Blues party also heading for a sellout with less than 20 tickets remaining.

Nigel and Nina considering increasing their July 3rd event with us to include a Blues workshop component.

Stephanie & Daniel

bigdjiver
11th-May-2004, 01:31 AM
In short - a superb day and evening.

In long - the pluses - A good grounding from Joe & Trish in where blues dancing came from and how it developed, and in ways of moving to the music, concentrating on safety and style. There were lots of exercises to get us loosened up, mentally and physically, and into the vibe (my word). This was followed by a very thorough going through of a routine, illustrating the principles taught. The emphasis was more on a toolbox for use on moves that we had learned elsewhere rather than learning lots of blues moves. I found that the routine taught fitted nicely with my mental capacity, so I was able to take away nearly all of it for further practice. I find that many workshops over-extend my capacity, so I actually take away less than I might have.

There were excellent snacks with fresh fruit to eat and tea to drink being particularly appreciated, as well as the odd chocolate, and the final serving of ice cream.

The music was to my taste, and was superb, a “my dream” play list. Thanks to “The Jive Jock”.

The gents were stocked with deodorant, and the candles and light strings brought as much atmosphere as possible to the hall. I did not use the showers.

There was a TV room with some videos that could be watched. In hindsight I would have eaten sandwiches in the break between workshop and dance and watched more of those. Having now seen a small sample of the Beach Boogie one for 2001 I can recommend that.

I have to list the minuses for the benefit of other organisers, they did not stop me enjoying myself thoroughly.

Joe and Trish started the class with a game of tag as a warm up and loosen up exercise. I regard that as a mistake, potentially too robust as a warm up exercise.

Someone tried incense as an atmosphere creator, but it was an experiment that seemed to be rapidly ended, for which I was glad. I found it stung my eyes.

Candles are always a worry. We had a small, non-threatening, fire on the entrance table at the end of the class, whilst the helpers were receiving well deserved thanks for their efforts. This was rapidly extinguished by the quick action of an attendee. I contrived to burn my finger, and get some wax on my trousers putting out the last embers. Daniel and Stephanie took great care of me.

I loved the day, thanks to all.

Daniel Sandars
11th-May-2004, 11:14 AM
Thanks, Bigdjiver as someone on the recieving end of our first accident I am impressed that you haven't lost sight of strengths of what the crew, DJ and treachers achieved on Saturday. Joe and Trisha, as well as the Blues Crew, worked themselves into the ground to pull the event off, our most ambitious to date! I am sure with your insights any snags that BluesDance encounters as it develops will soon be ironed out.

Yes, Rob McKim's Blues set was very well recieved. It triggered a fierce debate amongst the regulars at BluesDance as to whether Rob McKim or Peter Phillips had the edge on the Blues. DJ 'Nig' Anderson is the next DJ in the hot seat on July 3rd.

We are bringing Rob back to compliment the Blues style of Simon and Taina on March 12th 2005. Rob also wants to work with us to build a much bigger midnight to sunrise Blues pyjama party at Good Night Sweat Heart in February next year.

We will soon be working up future Blues ideas with Joe and Trisha as soon as they catch their breath.

Yes, I agree that some of the activities, like the warm-up game of tag and the fun Blues competitions, where a love or hate affair for the dancers. Some of this stuff seems to work better at Dance 'holiday' camps and weekenders when people are more up for it and can also readily wander of into another 'tame' workshop.

Daniel & the Blues Crew
ps. You only have to shout if you want to borrow the BeachBooige 2001 video for a while!