PDA

View Full Version : Childhood Beliefs

Stuart M
21st-March-2004, 09:31 PM
I just spent a fair bit of Sunday on this site having a good laugh.

Iusedtobelieve (http://iusedtobelieve.com/)

It reminded me of my childhood fear of Kellogg's Special K (bear with me...).

When I was about 5, Special K was advertised on TV with the slogan "For grownups who don't want to grow any more", or something like that. My calculating little brain thus reasoned that if I ate any, I'd never grow up...I stuck religiously to Weetabix for years just in case...:blush:

Pammy
22nd-March-2004, 11:59 AM
I can't eat scrambled eggs as my dad told me the white bit you get in it was an "eye". :sick: Still to this day it haunts me when I see someone eating one. :tears:

Claire
22nd-March-2004, 07:30 PM
I still can't eat the bottom inch of a banana because I was told that the spiders live there.:sick:

Dance Demon
22nd-March-2004, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by Claire
I still can't eat the bottom inch of a banana because I was told that the spiders live there.:sick:

:sick: :sick: :sick: ...........similar sort of thing, I never eat strawberries unless they have been cut in half, because I was told that you can sometimes get earwigs inside them:sick:

Claire
23rd-March-2004, 01:14 AM
I used to think that there was a person sitting under the ground who could see the traffic out of a little spy hole and would change the lights to green when there were lots of cars waiting.

Claire
23rd-March-2004, 01:20 AM
(I do like this thread!)

I was told that you shouldn't swallow chewing gum as it would wrap around your insides which was bad for you.

I was at an age when I knew that you had a skeleton inside your body but I sort of thought that was loose inside with a few organs hanging around.

Therefore I thought that if you swallowed the gum it would wrap around the bones at the top of your body and then if you ate anything else then the food would bounce back out of your body as it hit the little trampoline made by the gum across the bones.

Crazy!

Pammy
23rd-March-2004, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by Claire
I was told that you shouldn't swallow chewing gum as it would wrap around your insides which was bad for you.

That's not true :what: ?????

Lory
23rd-March-2004, 11:34 AM
I thought, if I ate an apple core, the pips would grow into a tree inside my tummy :sick: :rofl:

Aleks
23rd-March-2004, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by Lory
I thought, if I ate an apple core, the pips would grow into a tree inside my tummy :sick: :rofl:

Along with the pips from oranges/satsumas.

The tree would get so big that it would grow out of my ears and nose......

Bardsey
23rd-March-2004, 12:28 PM
When I was about 3 and my brother was playing up, I remember telling my Grandmother about how I behaved when I was a boy. For some reason I firmly believed I used to be a boy!!!:rofl:

Boomer
23rd-March-2004, 02:27 PM
thanks to granddad I used to believe that peanut butter was made from powdered ratbones..hold on... I sill do:tears:

I was always told that swallowed gum wrapped itself around your heart:what:

Gadget
23rd-March-2004, 02:36 PM
Can't wait untill my kids are old enough to ask stupid questions, just so I can warp their minds...
"Don't lie in the grass!"
"Why?"
"'Cos it'll turn your hair green."

I used to call RiceCrispies "Dougal Bits" because they were the same colour as Dougal from The Magic Roundabout. I remember my primary school teacher being most perplexed.

Bardsey
23rd-March-2004, 03:03 PM
I was always told that if I pulled a face and the wind changed, I'd stay like that forever.

Also you had to ALWAYS do the "hold your collar, never swallow, never catch a fever" chant when an ambulance passed by!:rofl:

Who still counts magpies and desperately looks round for the 2nd one if there is a lone magpie AND if I remember in time, to salute the solitary one, cos then you don't set the "sorrow"??? Mmmm just me then eh? Wish I could get out of the daft habit, I just can't!!! :blush:

Aleks
23rd-March-2004, 03:06 PM
Magpies - I do that too.
We have a pair of magies nesting in a tree in the back garden so I know that if I hang around long enough I'll always see a second one. I'm a big cheat, I know.

Bill
25th-March-2004, 01:22 PM
I shared a bedroom with my twin sister when we were young and once told her that a moth could land on your ear and get inside your head. She slept with her head under the blankets for years ( she might still do) and still has a fear of moths :sick:

Didn't realise what one remark could do :blush: ..........and of course doesn't help when tehre is the odd story of insects found in peoples eardrums :eek:

Gadget
25th-March-2004, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by Bill
and of course doesn't help when tehre is the odd story of insects found in peoples eardrums :eek:
Well how do you think "Earywigs" got their name? :innocent: :whistle:

Bill
25th-March-2004, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by Gadget
Well how do you think "Earywigs" got their name? :innocent: :whistle:

and you can imagine the effect that had on her................. but I was quite a nice wee boy - honest :rolleyes: :innocent:

Jive Brummie
25th-March-2004, 06:20 PM
I've never eaten peas as i always thought little green catterpillars grew in them......... They do though....don't they??:sick:

My father however, always insists on putting them on my plate when at home.........to 'add a bit of colour'!!!!!......... That's just twisted as far as I'm concerened.

James.......x

filthycute
25th-March-2004, 07:17 PM
I always thought that all cats were girls and all dogs were boys............yeah, stoopid, i know :sick: :yum:

filthycute x x

Dance Demon
26th-March-2004, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by filthycute
I always thought that all cats were girls and all dogs were boys............yeah, stoopid, i know :sick: :yum

filthycute x x

oh I don't know FC.......according to Leo in another thread....there are some female dogs out there..:wink: or maybe he was just being catty.......:D

Boomer
26th-March-2004, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by Bill
I shared a bedroom with my twin sister when we were young and once told her that a moth could land on your ear and get inside your head.

Nope, spiders do that.

Stuart M
26th-March-2004, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by Boomer
Nope, spiders do that.
What's more, they lay eggs when they get in.

Boomer
26th-March-2004, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by Stuart M
What's more, they lay eggs when they get in.

And!, the eggs use the surrounding material: flesh, wax, brain-matter as feul for growth.

Stuart M
26th-March-2004, 12:41 PM
And!, the eggs use the surrounding material: flesh, wax, brain-matter as feul for growth.
And when you go to sleep, they all hatch, and they all come out your mouth and nose.

Anyone creeped out by this should, on no account, stroll around the Guggenheim in Bilbao at night (anyone who saw the Jean Bourgoise retrospective at the Tate Modern in London will know what I'm talking about :wink: )

Boomer
26th-March-2004, 12:47 PM

Anyone creeped out by this should, on no account, stroll around the Guggenheim in Bilbao at night (anyone who saw the Jean Bourgoise retrospective at the Tate Modern in London will know what I'm talking about :wink: )

Or, if visiting the plains in Africa, sleep on the ground. They have a nocturnal, ground-dwelling grub that is attracted to the carbon-monoxide that we breath out. It comes out and follows it nose to find yours, whereupon it begins to feast on one's blood.

Don't think I believed in anything as a child..no change there then :grin:

Pammy
26th-March-2004, 12:50 PM
Don't think I believed in anything as a child..no change there then :grin:

No doubt; so, are you saying you didn't see what was on the ceiling last night that the cats were watching? :grin:

Lory
26th-March-2004, 02:25 PM
(anyone who saw the Jean Bourgoise retrospective at the Tate Modern in London will know what I'm talking about :wink: )
Yes, I've seen it, it was near to the nude man, beating himself up! :what: weird but fascinating! :D

Stuart M
26th-March-2004, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by Stuart M (anyone who saw the Jean Bourgoise retrospective at the Tate Modern in London will know what I'm talking about :wink: )
Originally posted by Lory
Yes, I've seen it, it was near to the nude man, beating himself up! :what: weird but fascinating! :D
Sorry, I meant Louise Bourgois . I think there are a few throughout the world - maybe they're breeding.

The Bilbao one has the best setting though. At night they intermittently fire up some mist generators around it, just in case it wasn't creepy enough. By the way, it's called "Maman" :D

spindr
26th-March-2004, 03:33 PM
Hmmm, *almost* looks scarier than the "Martian" in Woking.

SpinDr.

Boomer
26th-March-2004, 03:58 PM
Sorry, I meant Louise Bourgois . I think there are a few throughout the world - maybe they're breeding.

The Bilbao one has the best setting though. At night they intermittently fire up some mist generators around it, just in case it wasn't creepy enough. By the way, it's called "Maman" :D

To quote the Levellers 'Is This Art'! :tears:

Pammy
29th-March-2004, 10:03 AM
To quote the Levellers 'Is This Art'! :tears:

I dunno, but that shadow walking under the spider could be you :what:

Stuart M
29th-March-2004, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by spindr
Hmmm, *almost* looks scarier than the "Martian" in Woking.

SpinDr.
Aha, well, you've no doubt seen scarier things on your travels...:D

For a minute when you said Woking, I thought you were referring to that quarry which doubled for every alien planet you'd ever landed on :wink:

However, I've since realised there's a real Martian in Woking!

Chicklet
29th-March-2004, 10:48 AM
Toaster boy - get off this thread and find the one you now have all to yourself - the suspense is painful!!!!:whistle:

Stuart M
29th-March-2004, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by Chicklet
Toaster boy - get off this thread and find the one you now have all to yourself - the suspense is painful!!!!:whistle:
Then loosen the dress, dear.

As to that thread - still thinking what to say, if anything. I'm wondering what other people have been saying, too :rolleyes: .

Chicklet
29th-March-2004, 12:04 PM
Then loosen the dress, dear.
: .
Didn't need to after someone sorted out the insides of it for me:flower:
Well actually two people did and SHE got a damn site further in inside it than you did!!:rofl:

Stuart M
29th-March-2004, 12:19 PM
Well actually two people did and SHE got a damn site further in inside it than you did!!:rofl:
:really:
That's news!

It's always the people you least expect, isn't it?

:whistle:

Bill
29th-March-2004, 04:44 PM
Didn't need to after someone sorted out the insides of it for me:flower:

and I wasn't there to watch this !!!!!!!!!!!!!!:rolleyes: :blush: :whistle: