PDA

View Full Version : Rediscovering Forgotten Classics

Gus
14th-March-2004, 12:42 PM
Was in the car yesterday with the radio as mere background to conversation ... when over the airwaves came "Year of the Cat" (Al Stewart??) .... I went into raptuous adulation while my (younger) companion looked on blankly. After a few minutes though, after admitting she'd never heard the track before, she agreed that it was a wonderfull track with superb production.

On getting back to my hovel I've tried to find my long lost CD of the track ... currently to no avail ... but I did unearth Baker Street :grin: Made me realise ... isn't it easy to forget that there are some great classics about that (shock, horror, probe) ... you cant dance to :wink: Anyone else out there who will admit to being spellbound by Year of the Cat or am I in a sad lonely minority again?

Bill
14th-March-2004, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by Gus
Anyone else out there who will admit to being spellbound by Year of the Cat or am I in a sad lonely minority again?

Ah..still remember the album and the title track..... takes me back a few years :sick: :na: Have the album here in front of me but my turntable is knackered so can't play it ( yep I still have my vinyl copies :D ). Back in 1976 at a time when I'd just moved on from Elton John and Rod Stewart and was getting into Bruce Springsteen and punk was about to arrive ... and I was just about to go to uni.

Jive Brummie
14th-March-2004, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by Bill
Back in 1976 at a time when I'd just moved on from Elton John and Rod Stewart and was getting into Bruce Springsteen and punk was about to arrive ... and I was just about to go to uni.

...........Good year that............I was born then!!!!!!!:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

james......x

DavidY
14th-March-2004, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by Gus
but I did unearth Baker Street :grin: Made me realise ... isn't it easy to forget that there are some great classics about that (shock, horror, probe) ... you cant dance to :wink: The DJ at one of our local Ceroc venues played "Get it Right Next Time" (from Baker Street I believe) - I really enjoyed dancing to it. Quite an interesting track musically and I'm sure those dancers who can interpret music (ie not me) could really make something of it.

Dance Demon
14th-March-2004, 01:58 PM
I have a compilation CD called "accoustic moods", which has both Baker St and Year of the cat on it, along with some other wee gems that fall into the same category as these two.
Full Playlist:

Lady Eleanor---Lindisfarne
Stuck in The Middle---Stealers Wheel
Baker St---Gerry Rafferty
Year Of The Cat---Al Stewart
They Shoot Horses don't They---Racing Cars...(one for Sheena:wink: )
Arms Of Mary---Sutherland Bros & Quiver
Chestnut Mare--The Byrds
Castles In The Air---Don McLean
Blue Guitar---Justin Hayward & John Lodge
Moonlight Shadow--Mike Oldfield(Kirsty McColl on vocals)
Lay Down---the Strawbs
How Come--Ronnie Lane's Slim Chance
Reason to believe--Rod Stewart
Journey---Duncan Browne
I Don't Mind At All---Bourgeois Tagg
Pinball---Brian Protheroe
Streets Of London---Ralph McTell
Time In A Bottle--Jim Croce
Morning Has Broken---Cat Stevens
After The Goldrush--Prelude

mostly just for listening to, with the exception of one or two

Gus
14th-March-2004, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by DavidY
The DJ at one of our local Ceroc venues played "Get it Right Next Time" (from Baker Street I believe) - I really enjoyed dancing to it. Quite an interesting track musically and I'm sure those dancers who can interpret music (ie not me) could really make something of it.

Funny you should mention that ... played it a few times and was thinking along the same lines. Waiting till I see Helen again and see what she thinks about it.

Gus
14th-March-2004, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by Dance Demon

Arrrghhhh ... I've been after that track for aeons .... it was one of the test tracks that BRMB radio played when they were starting transmission ... wonderfull track .... reminds me of the Summer of 78 .... getting my O level results and losing my Dad .... strange times :sick:

Is the album still available?

Tiggerbabe
14th-March-2004, 02:57 PM
I have a compilation CD called "accoustic moods", which has both Baker St and Year of the cat on it, along with some other wee gems that fall into the same category as these two.
Full Playlist:

Wow, thanks DD - Sheen xx (off to Amazon as soon as she posts this :flower: )

fruitcake
14th-March-2004, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by Gus
Was in the car yesterday with the radio as mere background to conversation ... when over the airwaves came "Year of the Cat" (Al Stewart??) .... I went into raptuous adulation while my (younger) companion looked on blankly. After a few minutes though, after admitting she'd never heard the track before, she agreed that it was a wonderfull track with superb production.

?

Well Gus Mdear, I must just be a baby, I don't know year of the cat, but I was on another thread, can't remember now, two minutes ago, speaking about eddie grant, electric avenue,.
Iv'e got loads vinyl in my loft but nothing to play them on.
But yes, Baker street is one of them, oh so many....
david Cassidy, David essex, Elton John,Stylisitcs, anyone remember them,the cure, boomtown rats, strangelers, 10cc.
Oh I'm in Heaven now!!!!
And on a roll....pretenders,Glitter band(oh yeah!)
Stautus Qo, DEEP PURPLE, black sabbath,......ooooh!!!
ELO,Santana,/.....sigh!!!
Whos' from my era then?!!!

Bill
14th-March-2004, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by Jive Brummie
...........Good year that............I was born then!!!!!!!:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

james......x

shut up.....................:sick: :sad: :D

Bill
14th-March-2004, 04:39 PM
I
Lady Eleanor---Lindisfarne
Stuck in The Middle---Stealers Wheel
Baker St---Gerry Rafferty
Year Of The Cat---Al Stewart
Chestnut Mare--The Byrds
Castles In The Air---Don McLean
Blue Guitar---Justin Hayward & John Lodge
Moonlight Shadow--Mike Oldfield(Kirsty McColl on vocals)
Lay Down---the Strawbs
How Come--Ronnie Lane's Slim Chance
Reason to believe--Rod Stewart
Journey---Duncan Browne
I Don't Mind At All---Bourgeois Tagg
Pinball---Brian Protheroe
Streets Of London---Ralph McTell
Time In A Bottle--Jim Croce
Morning Has Broken---Cat Stevens
After The Goldrush--Prelude

mostly just for listening to, with the exception of one or two

Oh good grief...........I remember all of these and loved most of them when they were released :D Thought Cat Stevens was great then ....partly because I had the same hairstyle for a few years :na: ...and the original After the Goldrush and the music Neil Young was producng then ( and now). Ah nostalgia ( and no comments from you young master James !!!)

Lory
14th-March-2004, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by fruitcake
Me! :blush: :hug:

Gus
14th-March-2004, 06:18 PM
DEEP PURPLE, black sabbath,......ooooh!!!
ELO,Santana,/.....sigh!!!

Just in the process of rebuilding my heavy rock collection ... Black Sabbath, AC/DC, Rainbow and Deep Purple all featuring .... ahhh youth today dont know what they missed:wink:

Jive Brummie
14th-March-2004, 06:18 PM
shut up.....................:sick: :sad: :D

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :whistle:

Dance Demon
14th-March-2004, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by Gus
Arrrghhhh ... I've been after that track for aeons .... it was one of the test tracks that BRMB radio played when they were starting transmission ... wonderfull track .... reminds me of the Summer of 78 .... getting my O level results and losing my Dad .... strange times :sick:

Is the album still available?

It's on PolygramTV label catalogue No 516 659-2
Let me know if you can't get it Gus, and i'll bring you down a copy in May:cheers:

PS...I remember all of these when they first came out.......in the days when music WAS music.............and a pint was only 20p, and you could get 5 woodbine and a fish supper and still get change from a pound.....in the good old days,....sigh

Daisy
14th-March-2004, 11:00 PM
Have been reading this post with interest and have lots of great memories to all the LPs and tracks that have been mentioned....many of them mark corner stones in my growing up as they probably do for many others.

Particular favourites not mentioned are:

The Eagles..(various albums)...Saw them at Bingley Hall in Stafford in about 1977
Eric Clapton...In concert in Coventry about 1979
Free....only got the LPs
Bad company....an all time favourite!
Daryl Hall & John Oats..(Abandoned Luncheonette)...fabulous!
Yes (The Yes Album).... I can still sing along to this cover to cover!
Crosby Stills Nash & Young....( Daja Vu)....a classic.
Fleetwood Mac
Steely Dan
and many many more...........

We are lucky enough to have a fantastic album collection and even luckier to still have a turn table to listen to them on, and we can record them onto mini disc too.

Bill
15th-March-2004, 12:46 AM
black sabbath,......ooooh!!!
sigh!!!

I certainly am ( though I know I'm a few years older than you fruity ..:rolleyes: )

but I do remember dancing to 'paranoid' ( say nothing ....esp kids who weren't even born then :sick: ...... at the summer school camp in Stirling ( boy we travleed in them days !!) with my huge flairs ( frayed at the ends of course) bare feet and hair half way down my back........ only dancing I ever did till I came to Ceroc and took me almost 5 years to stop jumping ( excpet at competitions...:tears: :sick: ). and of course I danced alon - even my girlfriend at the time would have been too embarrassed to join in :whistle: :rofl:

Chicklet
15th-March-2004, 11:32 AM
Confessions then:

Spent a fair amount of time in the front row of the Barrowlands aged about 15 swooning to Big County and the Alarm while allegedly at a friend's house doing homework! Had a few very near misses running the length of Argle St flat out for the last train home!

Spirit of 76 in a whole different way!!!:D

Emma
15th-March-2004, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by Chicklet
Spent a fair amount of time in the front row of the Barrowlands aged about 15 swooning to Big County and the Alarm while allegedly at a friend's house doing homework! Had a few very near misses running the length of Argle St flat out for the last train home! OK, am now pictuing you in checked shirt and 1980's hair. Photos. We need photos :)

azande
15th-March-2004, 11:41 AM
Confessions then:

Spent a fair amount of time in the front row of the Barrowlands aged about 15 swooning to Big County and the Alarm while allegedly at a friend's house doing homework! Had a few very near misses running the length of Argle St flat out for the last train home!

Spirit of 76 in a whole different way!!!:D

ALARM!! Thanks Chicklet I thought I was the only one that listened to them!

Absolute Reality!:wink:

Chicklet
15th-March-2004, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by Emma
OK, am now pictuing you in checked shirt and 1980's hair. Photos. We need photos :)

NEVER!!!!

Spent hours and hours making sure the short sides were appropriately lacquered flat against my head and I had a couple of REALLY cool string "ties"!!!

Bill
15th-March-2004, 12:13 PM
NEVER!!!!

Spent hours and hours making sure the short sides were appropriately lacquered flat against my head and I had a couple of REALLY cool string "ties"!!!

Sounds wonderful...................:D :sick: .ah fashions !!!!:na:

Wendy
15th-March-2004, 01:36 PM
Great thread.... sigh......smile....

I remember sewing the Yes logo onto my (hessian!!!) schoolbag... must've been 77... and my first (proper - blush) boyfriend gave me the Baker Street single .. sigh.... wanted an Afghan coat (wasn't allowed ) and a curly perm !!!! (like I needed one of those !!! )...only girl in my class wearing a long indian skirt and dessert boots....

Songs....

Chicago - If You Leave Me Now
Leo Sayer - When I Need You
Lynyrd Skynyrd- Freebird
Genesis - Trick of the Tail and Wind and Wuthering (every single note and word)

First concerts Dr Feelgood and the Stranglers and John Martyn.... (ahhhh May You Never another great song)

And went to first Uni disco with my big sister In Edinburgh ... wow !!!!! joss sticks, henna...and boys with long hair :drool: ....Free and Stones and Zep and stuff... dance heaven....and then when I went it was all Altered Images and the Human League... I was born too late !!!!! :tears: :tears: :tears:

Was just wondering lately how CEROCers would dance if they had to dance alone .... interesting... maybe that could be a fun category at Blackpool next year
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: or an excuse for a DISCO !!!!!! :grin:

Wxxx

Lynn
15th-March-2004, 01:49 PM
oh so many.... 10cc.
Discovered 10cc a few years ago and really liked them, especially the first few albums. Must dig them out and listen to them again.

DavidY
15th-March-2004, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by Wendy
Was just wondering lately how CEROCers would dance if they had to dance alone Depends... in my case I need someone to teach me the Beginners Moves (Dancing Alone Variety) first.:wink:

Aleks
15th-March-2004, 01:59 PM
Plastic bangles and beads, batwing sleeves, legwarmers, "cropped tops" and puffball skirts.

A-ha, the end of Wham! and Duran Duran, Rick Astley :what: , Curiosity Killed the Cat, Communards/Bronski Beat, Madonna etc etc.

I wore orange almost constantly......

Jeans with rips - Nick Camen:drool: :drool: :drool:

First gig - local band called Dow Jones.

Then I went to college and met patchouli-smelling-leather-jacket-clad-tatooed-nose-pierced-long-haired Michael and fought with my mum about painting my room black until I left home!

Stuart M
15th-March-2004, 02:25 PM
Was just wondering lately how CEROCers would dance if they had to dance alone .... interesting... maybe that could be a fun category at Blackpool next year
:rofl:
Watch what any bloke does while the lady double spins, or goes off on one of her, ahem, moments :wink: and you'll see just how bad an idea this would be...only way a guy could win would be if they were awarding points for comic relief IMHO...

And the floor would have to be marked out using handbags :rolleyes:

My recent rediscovered classics moment was picking up a "Best of Madness" CD in a bargain bin. Baggy Trousers, House of Fun, Our House...definitely a school disco moment.

Chicklet
15th-March-2004, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by Stuart M
. Baggy Trousers, ...definitely a school disco moment.
One that you are determined to rebel against!!??!:innocent:

Stuart M
15th-March-2004, 02:45 PM
One that you are determined to rebel against!!??!:innocent:
:blush:

:rofl:

Mary
15th-March-2004, 03:05 PM
Just looked at this thread - just reading the words 'Year of The Cat' sent goose bumps down my spine. Don't think I ever got bored with that track. Al Stewart did a couple of other corkers as well.

Remember seeing Allman Brothers band and 10cc in concert, I think the Doobie Bros may have been there as well. My, much older, boyfriend at the time was heavily into the music scene.

In terms of dancing I reckon there is nothing you can't dance too.:devil: I'm sure I am now going to be proved wrong. I even had the most delightful dance with Roger Chin to Handel (or was it Bach?) can't remember now.

Must go and dig out the Al Stewart album.

M

Gadget
15th-March-2004, 04:02 PM
black betty - ram jam
love cats - stranglers
echo beach - martha & the muffins (?)
house of fun - madness
corrosion - sisters of mercy
size of a cow - ?
loosing my religion - rem ?
dizzy - vic reaves & wonderstuff
3am eternal - ancient & justified something of mu-mu
sit-down (next to me) - ?
the joker - ?
the devil flew down from georgia - ?
killing me softly - foojies?
Bird-house in your soul - ?
:waycool: those were the days I used to be out in night clubs 'till 3am four nights from seven. Wonder why I dodn't do as well as I could have in Uni? :D
I used to be a DJ groupy :blush: helping with setting up & packing away - occasionally dabbling.

So: who's going to be playing a "re-lived" night then?

Lynn
15th-March-2004, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by Aleks
Plastic bangles and beads, batwing sleeves, legwarmers, "cropped tops" and puffball skirts.

A-ha, the end of Wham! and Duran Duran, Rick Astley :what: , Curiosity Killed the Cat, Communards/Bronski Beat, Madonna etc etc.

I wore orange almost constantly...... All sounds so familiar - I felt so grown up in my cerise batwing blouse with beads... and home permed hair!! :what:

Wendy
15th-March-2004, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by Gadget
love cats - stranglers The Cure I think ??

Wxxx

Lounge Lizard
15th-March-2004, 06:12 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Back in 1976 at a time when I'd just moved on from Elton John and Rod Stewart and was getting into Bruce Springsteen and punk was about to arrive ... and I was just about to go to uni. [B/]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by Jive Brummie
[B]...........Good year that............I was born then!!!!!!!:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

james......x So was my daughter - Also got married that year:blush:

Boomer
16th-March-2004, 04:27 PM
Great thread.... sigh......smile....

I remember sewing the Yes logo onto my (hessian!!!) schoolbag... must've been 77...

:what: When does school finish up there then?

Listening to dad's old collection last night, Fleetwood Mac - 'The Chain', good stuff....although The Floyd - 'ummar gumma' was a bit much:what:

Wendy
16th-March-2004, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by Boomer
:what: When does school finish up there then? Of course, I was only 5 at the time... girls always mature that little bit earlier...

Originally posted by Boomer
Listening to dad's old collection last night, Fleetwood Mac - 'The Chain', good stuff....although The Floyd - 'ummar gumma' was a bit much:what: Get his Meddle out and play Echoes just before you drift off to sleep one nght wee chum..sublime.... Did you know there is an Australian Pink Floyd who tour the UK ???? Think you'd like it....

Wxxx

bobgadjet
16th-March-2004, 08:39 PM
Well you lot "were" making me feel quite old, well I am really, but then I think about all the requests at the nightclub on friday nights, and a lot of those memories are still being requested.
not a week goes by without at least half if not ALL of the following being requested......
Rick Astley
The Farm
Gloria Gaynor
Grease, the megamix
Arrow
Bill Medley & Jen Warns
Proclaimers, 500 miles
and many more nostalgic tunes

and last friday we even got to play
Cotton eye Joe

Memories.... well just keep them coming as they fit all age groups.

Ain't memories great, Ain't music fun, Ain't this world a brilliant place to enjoy life?