PDA

View Full Version : In too deep?

purplepony
11th-March-2004, 03:03 PM
I've been ceroccing (?) for 2 months and have become totally hooked. In a moment of over the top enthusiasm my friend and I have bought tickets for the champs in May and are now rather concerned that we will be completely humiliated by our lack of skill when it comes to the freestyle thing at the end. Any advice on etiquette in this situation?

Kerry

Peter
11th-March-2004, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by purplepony
I've been ceroccing (?) for 2 months and have become totally hooked. In a moment of over the top enthusiasm my friend and I have bought tickets for the champs in May and are now rather concerned that we will be completely humiliated by our lack of skill when it comes to the freestyle thing at the end. Any advice on etiquette in this situation?

Kerry

I have been dancing for 2 years and am often completely humiliated by my lack of skill ... Just go for it and enjoy!! I hope to dance with you either at the Champs or at Windsor

ChrisA
11th-March-2004, 04:04 PM
and are now rather concerned that we will be completely humiliated by our lack of skill when it comes to the freestyle thing at the end. Any advice on etiquette in this situation?
On the contrary... you should be applauded for getting so stuck in so soon. :cheers:

And the only etiquette is for those who may have more experience than you to dance with you beautifully and encourage you, enthuse you and inspire you.

Freestyle is freestyle. We all have more experience than some, less than others. Just enjoy the whole day - the atmosphere, the competitions, and the dancing.

Hope to see you there.

Chris

Chicklet
11th-March-2004, 04:42 PM
Hi Kerry,

and welcome to this bag of nonsense:D that is the forum!!

My buddy and I found ourselves in much the same situation a year ago at Blackpool, had been dancing for a couple of months and wondered what on earth we were getting into on the road down.

Sat most of the day open mouthed in awe at the dancing, the atmosphere, the cameraderie, the shoes for sale :wink: and the whole buzz in general. I was a really crappy dancer and hardly knew anyone so while I would wholeheartedly agree that if you can, you should get up and inamong it all and ask people, on the other hand, don't beat yourself up if you don't end up doing that first time round. There is a hell of a lot to take in and if you get joy and delight from sitting back (yeah like there's anywhere to sit at Hammersmith!!) and soaking it all in then it's really fine to do that too. It's amazing how much you can pick up about style and ideas for the spare hand etc from just watching that it can be a very enriching experience and help your dancing.

Going to Blackpool / the Champs is also a great conversation piece or starter both before and after if there are dancers in your regular venue that you think you would like to get to know but can't think of how perhaps?

Enjoy!

C:D (a slightly less crappy dancer than last year!!)

purplepony
11th-March-2004, 07:21 PM
Thank you for your kind words of encouragement :cheers: I'll be the one with the huge grin.

CJ
12th-March-2004, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by Chicklet

C:D (a slightly less crappy dancer than last year!!)

Eh, said WHO, exactly?!?:wink:

It's been too long: come dance with me, Chickie DD.

TheTramp
12th-March-2004, 10:51 AM
I've been ceroccing (?) for 2 months and have become totally hooked. In a moment of over the top enthusiasm my friend and I have bought tickets for the champs in May and are now rather concerned that we will be completely humiliated by our lack of skill when it comes to the freestyle thing at the end. Any advice on etiquette in this situation?Yeah. Just get out there and enjoy yourself. Everyone was a beginner once, and most people remember that, and are more than happy to dance with anyone. Those people that don't, probably aren't worth dancing with anyhow.

Not sure if I'm going, but if I am, then come dance with me please. I'm the bald, fat, ugly one who can't dance.

Trampy

Emma
12th-March-2004, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by TheTramp
Not sure if I'm going, but if I am, then come dance with me please. I'm the bald, fat, ugly one who can't dance.
Trampy ::::::slap::::::

TheTramp
12th-March-2004, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by Emma
::::::slap:::::: Oooh baby!! :drool:

Trampy

CJ
12th-March-2004, 11:14 AM
::::::slap::::::

I'm so glad you slapped him, Em!!

I hate it when he misses out his flatulence.

Emma
12th-March-2004, 11:15 AM
:rofl:

ChrisA
12th-March-2004, 11:28 AM

You want to be careful, Steve... she might run into someone that's really bald, fat and ugly and can't dance, and think it's you... :devil:

TheTramp
12th-March-2004, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by ChrisA
You want to be careful, Steve... she might run into someone that's really bald, fat and ugly and can't dance, and think it's you... :devil: Which bit were you disagreeing with?? :whistle:

Trampy

ChrisA
12th-March-2004, 11:36 AM
Which bit were you disagreeing with?? :whistle:

Well, since you ask, none of it (how could I be rude enough to disagree with the Forum Legend?).

But you're only moderately bald... :devil:

CJ
12th-March-2004, 11:48 AM
You want to be careful, Steve... she might run into someone that's really bald, :devil:

HOW bald does he have to be??????????????????????:what:

Chicklet
12th-March-2004, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by Ceroc Jock

It's been too long: come dance with me, Chickie DD.

*checks diary for a 5 minute slot to cover both tasks*

Gadget
12th-March-2004, 11:58 AM
Bald... receeding, thinning, very short, but I don't think you've quite reached bald yet.
Fat... well, you used to be larger, so only really if you were "obese" before. Bulky, large, thick-built possably.
Ugly... that's only because you manage to get georgeous partners {how does he do that?} - I'm sure that if you placed him among really ugly people he wouldn't look that bad.
Can't dance... I think that should be qualified with "as well as he thinks" or "to the Mavericks" or "with ugly people" or "when chained up"...

:devil:

CJ
12th-March-2004, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by Chicklet
*checks diary for a 5 minute slot to cover both tasks*

From memory, your slot covers whole degrees, not just minutes.

(fully prepared {and kinda looking forward to it} for enormous slap for that one)

Emma
12th-March-2004, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by Ceroc Jock
(fully prepared {and kinda looking forward to it} for enormous slap for that one) ..can I watch? *evil grin*

CJ
12th-March-2004, 12:33 PM
..can I watch? *evil grin*

Watch?!?!?!!?!?

You can help!!:devil:

TheTramp
12th-March-2004, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by Gadget
Fat... well, you used to be larger, so only really if you were "obese" before. Bulky, large, thick-built possably. Actually, according to the weight charts that you see in Doctors surgeries etc, I am still obese. Weighing in at just over 17 stone, and being 5'10".

Trampy

Gadget
12th-March-2004, 02:42 PM
Actually, according to the weight charts that you see in Doctors surgeries etc, I am still obese. Weighing in at just over 17 stone, and being 5'10".
:what: naaaa

just take comfort in the fact that muscle weighs more than blubber :whistle:

Rougeforever
12th-March-2004, 07:55 PM

Heh :)

Am in a similar position to you. Emma has suggested that I come to the champs too. My etiquette in all these things is to announce "I'm a beginner" really loudly when people ask me to dance. Forewarned is forearmed. That way our partners know to be gentle with us :)

... and I'm still not sure about coming to the champs !

ChrisA
12th-March-2004, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by Rougeforever
Do it!!

Anyway you'll have been dancing 4 months nearly by then :nice:

Chris

Tiggerbabe
12th-March-2004, 08:36 PM

Hey go for it!!!!!!!! It's gonna be a lot of fun - you'll love it - and I'll get the chance to dance with Matt - perfect :wink: :flower:

Emma
12th-March-2004, 09:47 PM
Yeah - I'd only been dancing 6 weeks when I went to the champs for the first time (I took a ticket off someone who couldn't go at the last minute)...it was great. I did wander about in a sort of stunned dream but it was a helluva nice dream :grin:. I think it's one of the reasons I get a bit irritated by people who moan about the championships...yes it's crowded, yes it's dark, yes there may well be a million things wrong with it...but I bloody loved it the first time I went despite or even because of that, and going back helps to recapture that feeling of something big and exciting and lovely and friendly :nice: I hope I never get so wrapped up in the politics of dancing that I lose the ability to find the sheer pleasure which still exists in events like that.

Tiggerbabe
12th-March-2004, 09:54 PM
I hope I never get so wrapped up in the politics of dancing that I lose the ability to find the sheer pleasure which still exists in events like that.
:yeah: :hug: :kiss:

Rougeforever
12th-March-2004, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by Sheena
Hey go for it!!!!!!!! It's gonna be a lot of fun - you'll love it - and I'll get the chance to dance with Matt - perfect :wink: :flower:

...well when you put it like that.....

Don't want to speak for him, but am sure he'd LOVE that :) I get a big kick out of seeing him dance with other ladies - particularly the more talented ladies. :grin:

We just went out for dinner and spent nearly the whole evening talking about dancing. It's great when you can share something like this with your partner :nice:

Rougeforever
12th-March-2004, 10:25 PM
Do it!!

Chris

Now there's a really scary thought. :what: :sick:

I'm quite enjoying hiding behind the "I'm a beginner!!" tag:grin: . By then I'll not be a beginner, I'll just be rubbish.

So much for thinking positive !:really:

Still, it would be lovely to meet some forumites. I know I've been more lurking than posting, but I only have so many words in me, and my journal (http://www.livejournal.com/users/rougeforever) gets most of them.

:wink:

Emma
12th-March-2004, 11:05 PM
my journal (http://www.livejournal.com/users/rougeforever) gets most of them. Journal pimpage!!! ;)

That's the last time I edit your vB code, Ms G! :wink:

purplepony
15th-March-2004, 02:44 PM

Thank you for your kind offer. I will definitely make a point of seeking out every bald, fat ugly man who can't dance in the place just so I don't miss you......

My etiquette in all these things is to announce "I'm a beginner" really loudly when people ask me to dance.

I did this for the first few weeks but then forgot once and had a fantastic dance with lots of exciting new moves to follow, but hey, it's probably a good idea just for the day. I am a bit absent-minded though so I may stick a post-it-note to my forehead just to inform people. Do you think it will lessen my chances of finding dance partners?

I'm just really looking forward to watching all the fabulous dancing and learning loads, I'm sure it will be a great (and long) day.

Kerry

TheTramp
15th-March-2004, 02:58 PM
Thank you for your kind offer. I will definitely make a point of seeking out every bald, fat ugly man who can't dance in the place just so I don't miss you...... Oh. I'm pretty unmissable.

But I don't think that I'll be coming down now :( We'll have to postpone until another time!

Trampy

purplepony
15th-March-2004, 05:43 PM

But I don't think that I'll be coming down now :( We'll have to postpone until another time!

Trampy

That's a shame :sad: I'll just have to check out the hirsute, fit, good-looking men who are fantastic dancers instead....sigh, what a chore.

Kerry.

TheTramp
15th-March-2004, 05:44 PM
That's a shame :sad: I'll just have to check out the hirsute, fit, good-looking men who are fantastic dancers instead....sigh, what a chore.I am so sorry for you. Please try to not be too upset....

Trampy

Emma
15th-March-2004, 05:45 PM
I am a bit absent-minded though so I may stick a post-it-note to my forehead just to inform people. :rofl:

Bill
25th-March-2004, 03:28 PM
That's a shame :sad: I'll just have to check out the hirsute, fit, good-looking men who are fantastic dancers instead....sigh, what a chore.

Kerry.

well I was hirsute at Blackpool and I'm pretty fit ( for a man of my years !) but 2 out of 4 isn't too bad :D Not sure what I'll be looking like at London as need to confer with my double trouble partners - not pirates again I think:na:

See you at Hammersmith :flower: