PDA

View Full Version : When I were a lad.....

Johnny_boy
3rd-March-2002, 12:15 AM
I've started going back to Ceroc on a regular basis recently, hoping to make it twice a week.

I was dancing the other night with a friend from when I first started about 6 years ago and I did a move (can't remember which) she said nobody had done for ages - she was quite surprised! We had a quick chat about the moves which don't seem to get taught anymore like first-move-jump, lindy-kick, lindy-jump, catapult and back, etc. Have we both just missed these or have they been dropped somewhere along the line?

I have to admit to coming close to dropping a girl on a couple of occasions during the lindy-kick - both times because they forgot the lean-forward and immediately threw themselves backwards into the kick as I leaned back for my bit - I caught both at the last minute but it was pretty close! :eek: so I can see why this one may have been dropped (pardon the pun :sorry )

The jumps were always good sylish moves providing you didn't do them on a crowded dancefloor where they could be quite dangerous.

My pal introduced me to some new people as "John, who thinks the old moves were the best"

eee...in my day there used to regularly be 25-35 women sitting at the stage at Moray House and dammed grateful they were too for a dance, even if you were sweaty and had two left feet or you were a woman who could dance like a man....mind you it only cost £3.50 in the old money in those days......

:D

Franck
6th-March-2002, 11:14 AM
Hi John,

Most of the moves you mentionned are still being taught (as far as I know), I have taught both the 1st Move Jump and the Lindy kick in the last few weeks.
I think you probably touched on the issue with the crowded dance floor... We have to be aware of how busy the class is. Each teacher has to decide whether the move he / she is about to teach will be safe, based on the venue and the number of people present at the night...
I believe that we should teach the jumps and drops, not because I think they are necessarily great moves, but mostly because if we do not, then people will learn them on the dance floor from anyone who vaguely knows the move, and without proper safety advice...:sick:

What I would generally recommend is that you place a request for a move (or a type of move), as long as you do not expect it to be taught on the same night:nice: , you could ask if your regular teacher could include it in the following week's routine !

Cheers,

Franck.