PDA

View Full Version : Competitive Costumes

Gareth
10th-March-2004, 06:03 PM
Jill & I had costumes made to suit a latin Style. This appeared to be a popular choice with other dancers too, I.E Ray & Jayne.

I was wondering whether this stylised look could be a disadvantage?:confused:

If a Hip Hop track is played, does a latin outfit costume look out of context and vice versa?

From the other side of the equation, would the likes of Mark and Jackie/ Filthycute & James look better if they did`nt wear clothes advertising their style?:waycool:

When you look at Janine and Clayton they wear very neutrally styled clothes, which give away few suggestions of dance style. :worthy:

Is this an advantage?

Whats the consenus of oppinion on this please?

Jive Brummie
10th-March-2004, 10:59 PM
good question Gareth.

I see your point. I guess Melanie and I were lucky in a sense that the tracks we got to dance to at the weekend suited exactly what we had on. If we'd have been dressed in posh frocks and wing collar shirts we might have looked a wee bit out of place:sick:

Think you're right about Clayton and Janine:worthy: . Even though they dress in a 'neutral' way they still manage to look well-cool..........................has nothing to do with their dancing of course!!!!!:whistle:

James........:cheers:

p.s. The outfits Melanie and I had on at the weekend were made by Melanie herself.........good eh!!

Jive Brummie
10th-March-2004, 11:01 PM
Everything I've just written above.....forget it all.

.............I just remembered Andy McGregor:sick: :wink:

Pammy
11th-March-2004, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by Jive Brummie
p.s. The outfits Melanie and I had on at the weekend were made by Melanie herself.........good eh!!

Yes, I was very impressed :nice:

Andy McGregor
11th-March-2004, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by Jive Brummie
Everything I've just written above.....forget it all.

.............I just remembered Andy McGregor:sick: :wink:

This year my clothes strategy was to look exactly like your partner. This was difficult as Hollie is 18 years old, taller than me, had a difficult to match hair style and she's very sexy - but I think I pulled it off:wink:

And, before you ask, we didn't match in the final because I didn't expect to be in the final:tears: Also, Top Shop had sold out of that particular pink dress!:devil:

On the subject of what to wear, I've made quite a study of this and one of the most important things I have noticed is that guys dancing looks good if their legs look longer - hence the high-waisted thing in ballroom. Also, black and white or shiny shoes show off your footwork. Glitter shows off all of your moves. Small patterns look rubbish - go bold is the answer.

Pammy
11th-March-2004, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by Andy McGregor
Glitter shows off all of your moves.

And some girls are more drawn to the sparkles than others :blush: .

The Magpie x

Bill
12th-March-2004, 12:12 AM
Originally posted by Gareth
Jill & I had costumes made to suit a latin Style. This appeared to be a popular choice with other dancers too, I.E Ray & Jayne.

I was wondering whether this stylised look could be a disadvantage?:confused:

If a Hip Hop track is played, does a latin outfit costume look out of context and vice versa?

Mentioned this on another thread and there definitely seems to be a move towards a latin style - both in dancing and in clothes especially for the women.

Not sure if this is a trend or coincidence but certainly some of the best female dancers certainly are moving to ( or have always worn) a latin/ ballroom style. The exception this year I think were James and Melanie but I think outfit really helps when a contest is close. J & M were so far ahead in the final that they could have been wearing sheets and still have won. :worthy:

I would hope that a range of outfits would be both acceptable and desireable so we don't end up with a complete ballroom attired final :D :whistle: ....and I have nothing against ballroom and the likes of Lily and some of the other women look 'fabby' in their frocks :D

Bill
12th-March-2004, 12:16 AM
Jill & I had costumes made to suit a latin Style. Is this an advantage?

Whats the consenus of oppinion on this please?

ps

as Fran and I are almost always knocked out in the first round the idea of having outfits made ( and so spending lots of money) would be rather a waste. She tends to make something and I wear whatever I find in the wardrobe that matches :whistle: :rolleyes:

No outfit is going to make that much difference :rolleyes: :sick:

Stuart M
12th-March-2004, 12:32 AM
Originally posted by Bill
ps

as Fran and I are almost always knocked out in the first round the idea of having outfits made ( and so spending lots of money) would be rather a waste. She tends to make something and I wear whatever I find in the wardrobe that matches :whistle: :rolleyes:

No outfit is going to make that much difference :rolleyes: :sick:
Wouldn't entirely agree Bill - I think what you wear can at least help you be noticed more.

The DWAS at Blackpool was a good example - you could see Denise from a mile off wearing that shiny blue skirt, and in a melee of 80 people anything that catches the eye can be a help (that said I'm not sure Denise got through!)

Similarly, Wendy and I thought bright blue would be good, because everyone else in Intermediate would probably be wearing red. We were right, I think I counted 5 couples in our heat in red and/or black. Can't say whether it made a difference, but given that we made it through from the back of the hall (which they tell you is never the best place to be), maybe it was worth something. More likely that than my dancing anyway!

And as to cost, mine totted up to about 30 quid in total, but it's stuff I'll happily wear again (well, since the trousers seem to be popular :wink: I'll just have to...)

Edited before the spelling police found me out...

Gadget
12th-March-2004, 09:30 AM
So is it better to wear "costumes" or "outfits"?

Costumes being one-off (or close to one-off) clothes & accessories that have been made/purchaced specially and you would only wear to a competition or special event.
Outfits being clothes that may (or may not) have been bought specially, but will be worn to other events and partys and generally used.

I would assume that "costumes" would get yourself noticed more than "outfits"; but since some of the competition criteria is based on 'presentation & apperance' {my words} would a gorilla suit be marked down as opposed to a smart trousers & shirt?

Gareth
12th-March-2004, 02:37 PM
would a gorilla suit be marked down as opposed to a smart trousers & shirt?

I remember a certain two guys dressed as "milk Tray/ James Bond", Hippy Chicks and a certain duck. They all did pretty good @ C2D. :D

Chicklet
12th-March-2004, 02:47 PM
I remember a certain two guys
good reminder Gareth, I'm sure I've seen footage (before my time) of two chaps placing in the Intermediate at Blackpool (two years ago??) are either or both of you on here??
And will you compete again as a pair??
My nosiness knows no ends but IMHO you were great!
C:D

Mary
12th-March-2004, 03:21 PM
I think those 2 guys were Andy McG and Ben Borrego - they came 3rd in intermediate in 2002.

M

Chicklet
12th-March-2004, 03:27 PM
thanks Mary, maybe I need to move closer to the telly, should have recognised that pair!! :rofl:

Mary
12th-March-2004, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by Chicklet
thanks Mary, maybe I need to move closer to the telly, should have recognised that pair!! :rofl:

Try buying more dance shoes.:D Reference to another thread with pics.:devil:

M

Gareth
12th-March-2004, 03:43 PM
I think those 2 guys were Andy McG and Ben Borrego

look what a costume has done for Andy :rofl:

Debster
12th-March-2004, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by Stuart M
Wouldn't entirely agree Bill - I think what you wear can at least help you be noticed more.

Or what you don't wear can help you be noticed more... ;)

Bill
12th-March-2004, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by Debster
Or what you don't wear can help you be noticed more... ;)

ah well...........look out for interesting outfits for the next double trouble........:sick: :blush: :D

RobC
13th-March-2004, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by Bill
ah well...........look out for interesting outfits for the next double trouble........:sick: :blush: :D
Hmm, think you'd be hard pushed to top what AndyMcG, Trampy and I wore last year. :cheers:
It's arguable if that's what helped us come 4th though :rofl: :whistle: :rofl:

denise
14th-March-2004, 05:06 PM
""The DWAS at Blackpool was a good example - you could see Denise from a mile off wearing that shiny blue skirt, and in a melee of 80 people anything that catches the eye can be a help (that said I'm not sure Denise got through!)""

Thought the skirt would be a good eye-catcher and loved wearing it. It was purely for fun though. It would have been ideal if i had a jumping jive sound track on!!

It was my first time making something and i did most of it myself. Im dead impressed with myself!! Have to say thank you to fran for helping me out with the waist band on the wednesday night before the competition. It did cost a bit to make but i know ill wear it again and again.:D :D

Graham W
14th-March-2004, 05:32 PM
.. an interesting DWAS variation I saw was a guy waving a kerchief (nah he wasnt suffering from flu..) in one hand & partner in other...

..using props could be a brave idea 4 DWAS..?
G
In Janine & Claytons defence I didnt think their outfits were neutral but q eyecatching !! - Blackpool 2004

Minnie M
14th-March-2004, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by denise
It was my first time making something and i did most of it myself........

Respect Denise :worthy: you looked great, and yes it was eyecatching. Thought Bill's costume was memorable too :clap: