PDA

View Full Version : Reading posts offline

Lynn
6th-March-2004, 05:37 PM
I am not yet on broadband so I often read long threads by viewing as a printable version and then all the posts from that thread on one page - I can then go off-line and read the thread. But the past few days this only works for the 12 posts on the page. Is this a change? Is there a reason? Is it going to change back?

Lynn

Sheepman
24th-March-2004, 06:51 PM
This is frustrating me too, if I'm trying to catch up on a long thread I've not come across before, it is the only way to do it. Please bring back the "show all posts for this thread" option.

Greg

David Franklin
24th-March-2004, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by Lynn
I am not yet on broadband so I often read long threads by viewing as a printable version and then all the posts from that thread on one page - I can then go off-line and read the thread. But the past few days this only works for the 12 posts on the page. Is this a change? Is there a reason? Is it going to change back?

Lynn Maybe a silly question, but have you tried setting the 'number of posts/page' (in your preferences) to 50?

Dave

Lynn
24th-March-2004, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by David Franklin
Maybe a silly question, but have you tried setting the 'number of posts/page' (in your preferences) to 50?

Dave Just tried that. It does mean that I can view a lot of posts on one page - and therefore go offline to read - but it also takes the thread a lot longer to appear on the screen. The way it used to work with the printable version showing all the posts from the thread on one page was the best option. There was probably some technical reason why this was discontinued. I had just wondered if it was a permanent change.

Tiggerbabe
25th-March-2004, 01:47 AM
Not going to be much help really Lynn, Franck is away on holiday at the moment and I don't know if things have changed with regard to this - he will be back on Monday the 29th March, so if you can be patient I'll ask him on his return (although he's got a lot of reading to catch up on :wink: )

Lynn
25th-March-2004, 10:36 AM
:cheers:
I really should get on broadband - but then I would never get any work done :tears:

Sheepman
31st-March-2004, 03:42 PM
It's now gone down to 10 posts per page :angry:

Greg

Sheepman
5th-April-2004, 04:55 PM
OK, now it's gone up to 20 posts, what is happening here? Is it thread dependent? Is it a bandwith thing? Help?

Greg

Franck
5th-April-2004, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by Sheepman
OK, now it's gone up to 20 posts, what is happening here? Is it thread dependent? Is it a bandwith thing? Help? Sorry Greg,

It was me trying different things out.
It turns out the ability to view the whole thread on one page was removed as it could hurt the web server, so nothing I could do at all.
The number of posts you can see is now dependent on the number of posts per page I set in the 'general settings'. Unfortunately, I can't set it too high, as it would slow down page downloads for anyone not on broadband.

Cheers,

Lynn
6th-April-2004, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by Franck
The number of posts you can see is now dependent on the number of posts per page I set in the 'general settings'. Unfortunately, I can't set it too high, as it would slow down page downloads for anyone not on broadband.
Thanks for the explanation. I should really get broadband. An alternative I have found is to go from page to page on a long thread, not read them yet, then at the last page go offline and go back to the start and read through them offline. Main problem for me is at work as don't have broadband there and tend to look at the site quickly while I am online for work purposes and find a nice long thread to read offline on my coffee break.

Boomer
6th-April-2004, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by Lynn
Thanks for the explanation. I should really get broadband. An alternative I have found is to go from page to page on a long thread, not read them yet, then at the last page go offline and go back to the start and read through them offline. Main problem for me is at work as don't have broadband there and tend to look at the site quickly while I am online for work purposes and find a nice long thread to read offline on my coffee break.

Cunning! But you can't beat broadband, couldn't live without it now: instant browsing, download heaven etc. :grin:

Sheepman
6th-April-2004, 03:32 PM
Thanks for the explanation Franck, at least I know I have to be patient with those long threads now . . .

(I tend to do the same as Lynn, but doing it within "printable format" means it is quicker.)

Greg

Lynn
6th-April-2004, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by Sheepman
(I tend to do the same as Lynn, but doing it within "printable format" means it is quicker.) That's a good point, must do that.