PDA

View Full Version : Help!!

Gareth
3rd-March-2004, 11:51 PM
I`m experiencing that falling into a big black void syndrom. This has been triggered by falling into the C2D advance category:eek:

Please can you give me some easy to understand advice on what type of moves I should be looking to replicate:rolleyes:

Also any tips would be useful............running in the opposite direction sound good to me

:yum:

Chris
4th-March-2004, 01:31 AM
Originally posted by Gareth
Please can you give me some easy to understand advice on what type of moves I should be looking to replicate:rolleyes:
The nice thing about advanced is there's much more room (too many people are scared to try it). So you can do all those 'big' moves, like running enthusiastically onto the dance floor*, feigning glee, and making a dramatic pause for the cameras at the end of the song before dashing elegantly to the men's room.

* the running/sliding-on-one-knee up to your partner half the length of the dance floor Ã* la Strictly Ballroom looks particularly good. I tried it once in kiwiland after a few beers, slid past my partner, and nursed a bruised cartilage all the way on the flight back.

Andy McGregor
4th-March-2004, 03:24 AM
I`m experiencing that falling into a big black void syndrom. This has been triggered by falling into the C2D advance category:eek:

What are you doing in advanced? I thought we'd established that you are intermediate.

Don't change a thing. It's too late to start learning new moves. Do the moves you've rehearsed and listen to the music. I know the judges are very keen on dancers who use the music.

stompin' phil
4th-March-2004, 04:50 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Chris
[B]So you can do all those 'big' moves, like running enthusiastically onto the dance floor[B]

Are arab springs and back flips allowed? Would they be classed as ariels!
It would be a different entrance

Lounge Lizard
4th-March-2004, 09:35 AM
Hi Gareth, good luck in the advanced, IMO you have won the respect of all forum members.

Please make sure we all know who you are so we can show our support

Peter

Gareth
4th-March-2004, 10:03 AM
Hi guys,
Thanks for all your support and helpful advice. I clarified my position with the organisers and it was suggested that we compete in the advanced section.

I have heard that all the established dancers in this caregory are now nervous about having to compete against us ;)

Bring the lambs to the slaughter :rofl:

See you all there, we`ll be the ones trying to sneak on and off without anyone noticing.:waycool:

Pammy
4th-March-2004, 10:12 AM
Thanks for all your support and helpful advice. I clarified my position with the organisers and it was suggested that we compete in the advanced section.

I for one will be cheering you on mate :hug:

See you later for a dance as well.

Pammy
x

PS I know who Gareth is, so I can point him out to the rest of you.

Gareth
4th-March-2004, 11:04 AM
Thank you Pammy, :hug:

I look forward to that dance

Gareth

Bill
4th-March-2004, 11:48 AM

Also any tips would be useful............running in the opposite direction sound good to me

Was going to try the last move there last year :na: ..........just slid off quietly after the track finished. If you have any bright ideas I'd love to hear them as my mind generally goes blank just as the music starts :sick: :tears:

Do remember some really nice moves but usually about 10.00 after all the comps are over :whistle: I find repeating the first move over and over works.............well it gets you to the end of the track but does mean you don't get through the first round ( s I've discovered :sick: ).

All the best for Saturday............... maybe we'll be in the same heat. :wink:

Gus
4th-March-2004, 01:32 PM

If you manage to find out what type of moves are guaranteed competition winner ... please pass on the word. Done three comps and still haven't the faintest idea what the judges are looking for:tears:

As for practical advice, as per what the others have said. Dance as you would do if you were really having fun ... and if you managed to 'project' to the judges and follow the music ... well at least you'll have given yourself a fighting chance.

Andy McGregor
4th-March-2004, 03:12 PM
Hi guys,

I spoke to Tony from C2D last night and told him that some people are saying that I'm too good for the intermediate section - he laughed - a lot:tears::tears:

I think that Gareth is doing the right thing by moving up to Advanced - after all, he is telling people he's a teacher. If I wasn't already in the Advanced I think that I would have done the same with Hollie - we aren't going to come anywhere in the Intermediate and we wouldn't come anywhere in the Advanced so the move wouldn't have made a meterial difference - and I would be having just as much fun...

Oh and a tip from ballroom I remembered last night, Vaseline(tm) your teeth otherwise your top teeth dry out and your top lip sticks to them - which can be off-putting.

Bill
4th-March-2004, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by Andy McGregor
Oh and a tip from ballroom I remembered last night, Vaseline(tm) your teeth otherwise your top teeth dry out and your top lip sticks to them - which can be off-putting.

Oh I don't know............................ think that gritted stare and fixed dry smile does wonders when you turn to face the judges .. if you remember that you are supposed to look at them occasionally :D :sick:

Rachel
4th-March-2004, 04:13 PM
... Oh and a tip from ballroom I remembered last night, Vaseline(tm) your teeth otherwise your top teeth dry out and your top lip sticks to them - which can be off-putting. um, silly question but ... why can't you just vaseline your lips?

Mind you, it's an interesting tip! Has anyone else got any other practical advice?

Like, I hear castor oil brushed onto the soles of suede-soled shoes is good for ice-rink floors. Does this work?

Does anti-perspirant sprayed onto your palms really help, if you're worried about them getting too sweaty and losing your grip?
Rachel

Rachel
4th-March-2004, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by Bill
....when you turn to face the judges .. if you remember that you are supposed to look at them occasionally :D :sick: Oh sh*t - are you really supposed to do that? I was hoping to be able to pretend to myself that they, and everyone else, weren't really there at all!
R.

Andy McGregor
4th-March-2004, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by Rachel
um, silly question but ... why can't you just vaseline your lips?

I suppose it might make it difficult to re-apply your lippy.

I've been told that the floor at the Tower is fast so any tips for slowing down would be helpful. My daughter's ballet teacher recommends rosin applied to wetted soles but when I tried it the rosin just rubbed off straight away. Maybe it works with suede soles.

Dan
4th-March-2004, 04:32 PM
um, silly question but ... why can't you just vaseline your lips?

Mind you, it's an interesting tip! Has anyone else got any other practical advice?

Like, I hear castor oil brushed onto the soles of suede-soled shoes is good for ice-rink floors. Does this work?

Does anti-perspirant sprayed onto your palms really help, if you're worried about them getting too sweaty and losing your grip?
Rachel

An ounce of alcohol applied to the back of the throat is excellent for dealing with a number of real and potential problems. Plus the fact that we love you equally whether you come first or last. Help us a little bit here, Rachel - go and have some fun!

Jayne
4th-March-2004, 04:32 PM
I've been told that the floor at the Tower is fast
Woo hoo! Who's up for quads on saturday? :wink:

BTW, I don't remember it being that fast last year - can anyone else remember???

J :nice:

Rachel
4th-March-2004, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by Dan
An ounce of alcohol applied to the back of the throat is excellent for dealing with a number of real and potential problems. Plus the fact that we love you equally whether you come first or last. Help us a little bit here, Rachel - go and have some fun! Oh I fully intend to do the alcohol thing! Wouldn't dare go near the floor if I didn't!

Thanks, Dan! I don't care too much about the placement - just really hoping to relax enough to have fun.

What's rosin? Is that, resin? How, what, where, do I get it?

My dance teacher recommended lemonade or coke on the soles, but I guess you couldn't do that with suede.

Mind you, this only applies if I actually get my new shoes on Friday (Christ, tomorrow!!). Never had suede-soles before. Wow, just think, I could soon be the proud owner of TWO pair of dance shoes. I'm getting more girlie every day! Never done the lipstick thing, however - I never actually thought of that for Blackpool....
R.

Chris
4th-March-2004, 08:26 PM
Does anti-perspirant sprayed onto your palms really help, if you're worried about them getting too sweaty and losing your grip? Rachel
Nope - not in my experience anyway - tried it years ago, just made hands sticky in a funny sort of way (got lots of odd questions!)

According to the fashion buzz from the Oscars, Botox injections are the latest thing to stop sweating in the hands!

Less radical (if only slightly) I think going jogging first helps

Andy McGregor
4th-March-2004, 08:47 PM
I'm getting more girlie every day!

:wink:

:waycool:

:flower:

Gareth
4th-March-2004, 10:19 PM
http://sc.groups.msn.com/tn/3A/41/GarethsLeRoc/1/11.jpg

I thought this might help gain some Scottish support?

Stuart M
4th-March-2004, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by Jayne
BTW, I don't remember it being that fast last year - can anyone else remember???

I recall the guy on the organ apologising, because he couldn't provide much fast music for the MJ'ers as it was exhausting. And those two fantastic kids doing all the ballroom stuff (wish I'd started dancing when I was 10 :tears: ). But I certainly don't remember the floor being fast - the opposite, if anything.

Quite sure it'll be fine on the day.

Gareth
4th-March-2004, 10:55 PM
I remember those two kids. As you stated they were good....and knew it .

I remember the ballroom dancers looking at the Jivers with an expression of................. HOW THE HELL DID THEY GET IN HERE?:(

Sheepman
5th-March-2004, 10:45 AM
Wow, just think, I could soon be the proud owner of TWO pair of dance shoes. I'm getting more girlie every day! :blush: I'm only taking 6 pairs.
Well the 4 pairs I ordered for Wednesday didn't turn up. :sad:

Greg

Dance Demon
5th-March-2004, 01:37 PM
[B]What's rosin? Is that, resin? How, what, where, do I get it?

B]

Hi rachel
i think Andy means resin. Violinists and cellists use it on their bows. Also before the days of non slip soles,boxers used to rub the soles of their boots in a resin tray to stop them from slipping on the ring canvas.(that's why the ref makes them wipe their gloves after a knockdown, in case they have resin on their gloves and it gets into their opponents eyes).......You should be able to get it from shops that sell musical instruments. It comes in a block and you have to break it up and crunch it ito a powder. ( it might leave a residue on the floor though, so the Tower ballroom people might not approve;) )

DavidB
5th-March-2004, 02:15 PM
Rosin/resin

Never used it, but there is a description of it at Infoplease.com (http://www.infoplease.com/ce6/sci/A0842440.html) , and instructions on using it at AntonioPacelli.com (http://www.antoniopacelli.com/cgi-bin/publisher/display.cgi?1510-5102-78349+news). (I never knew violinists used it.)

I've used gymnasts' chalk on my hands in the past, especially when doing aerials. It works really well, even if your hands start sweating. But don't use too much - you leave white handprints on your partner's clothes!

I'd avoid deodorant on the hands - it makes them too slippy.

Martin
7th-March-2004, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by DavidB
Rosin/resin

Never used it, but there is a description of it at Infoplease.com (http://www.infoplease.com/ce6/sci/A0842440.html) , and instructions on using it at AntonioPacelli.com (http://www.antoniopacelli.com/cgi-bin/publisher/display.cgi?1510-5102-78349+news). (I never knew violinists used it.)

I've used gymnasts' chalk on my hands in the past, especially when doing aerials. It works really well, even if your hands start sweating. But don't use too much - you leave white handprints on your partner's clothes!

I'd avoid deodorant on the hands - it makes them too slippy.

Not checked out your sites, however - nothing to do with shoes, for shoes, girls use topi soles - Sorts all floors out.

As to Ariels, gymnasts chalk for me = Rosin - what the tennis players etc. use.
When doing over the top ariels with flip downs, "rosin" the go. Always carry some in my bag.

I have natural heat disipation (sweat lots) so rosin the go, full grip.

As to deodorants and ariels - girls if BIG moves, do not slush up those armpits, that is where we have to contact:tears: