PDA

View Full Version : Speeling

TheTramp
2nd-March-2004, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by LilyB
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: And (d), Lily, are you fed up with everyone's inability to actually spell your name?!? (The clue is in the way that Lily spelt it when she logged onto the forum!!)

Trampy

Heather
3rd-March-2004, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by TheTramp
And (d), Lily, are you fed up with everyone's inability to actually spell your name?!? (The clue is in the way that Lily spelt it when she logged onto the forum!!)

Trampy

I'm just fed up with everyone's inability to SPELL !!!
Haven't people HEARD of good old fashioned DICTIONARIES ?
:sick:
:hug:
Heather,
X

Martin
3rd-March-2004, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by Heather
Heather,
X

That is just the thing, dictionaries are old fashioned - I use word as my e-mail editor and have auto spell check enabled.
Any documents go through a spell check.

Never did listen in school.

Thing is, no spell check on the forum, so there you have it.

I used to have a dictionary in the UK, moved to Aussie with a suitcase, backpack and bag, not much room for books such as dictionaries.

A constant bad speller, much to my dad's frustration (him being a headmaster)

Seemed to survived thus far with my lack of "proper spelling".

Andy McGregor
3rd-March-2004, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by Heather
Heather,
X

I've looked up Lily in the dictionary I keep by my computer. One of the difinitions is as follows:

2. a person or thing of special whiteness or purity.

Since joining the Forum I've used my dictionary every day. I'm constantly amazed at the number of common words I can't spell:blush:

I'm even more amazed at the even greater number of words some other Forum members can't spell. And I'm fascinated by some of the grammar:confused:

TheTramp
3rd-March-2004, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by Andy McGregor
I've looked up Lily in the dictionary I keep by my computer. One of the difinitions is as follows:

Since joining the Forum I've used my dictionary every day. I'm constantly amazed at the number of common words I can't spell:blush:One of them being 'definitions' :whistle:

Easiest way I think is to try any words that you're unsure of into Google (open up a new window). Comes up at the top of the list with "Did you mean definition".

Other easy way, is to just keep a word-processing pacakage open, and run any words through that.

Having said that, I'm sure that in most cases, it's typing errors, rather than actual spelling errors....

Trampy

ChrisA
3rd-March-2004, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by TheTramp
Having said that, I'm sure that in most cases, it's typing errors, rather than actual spelling errors....

Yorn.

David Franklin
3rd-March-2004, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by Martin
That is just the thing, dictionaries are old fashioned - I use word as my e-mail editor and have auto spell check enabled.
Any documents go through a spell check.

I have a spelling chequer. It came with my pea see.
It plane lee marques for my revue miss steaks eye can knot sea.
I ran this poem threw it, I'm sure yore pleased two no.
Its letter perfect in its weigh - my checker tolled me sew.

Mary
3rd-March-2004, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by David Franklin

:rofl: :rofl:

Cool.

About the only thing I was good at at skool wos spellling.

M

Martin
3rd-March-2004, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by David Franklin
I have a spelling chequer. It came with my pea see.
It plane lee marques for my revue miss steaks eye can knot sea.
I ran this poem threw it, I'm sure yore pleased two no.
Its letter perfect in its weigh - my checker tolled me sew.

Eye two have to cheque many off my stuff
truly said weigh to live they tell me
:tears:

Chris
3rd-March-2004, 06:21 PM
I use MS-Word to check posts sometimes with a quick cut-and-paste, and the dreaded Outlook I use for email has built in spellchecking. There's a handy (free) little system tray gizmo you can use for single words I've installed recently though called WordWeb - quick and tiny, you can download it free from http://wordweb.info/free/

Having said that, there's a sort of charm about misspelt words that adds to the informality. I misspell constantly on msn messenger - as long as it's understandable most folk don't mind!

But names are more important (I wonder if the inimitable Ms Barker would like to give everyone a definitive spelling of her first name to end age-old debates she is maybe unaware of lol?)
:flower:

TheTramp
3rd-March-2004, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by Chris
But names are more important (I wonder if the inimitable Ms Barker would like to give everyone a definitive spelling of her first name to end age-old debates she is maybe unaware of lol?)
:flower: Well. I'd say that she has, by how she signed onto the forum. I mean, she's unlikely to have spelt her own name incorrectly is she.... Mrs LilyB :D

Trampy

Chris
3rd-March-2004, 06:50 PM
Hey Trampy! Just looked up the definition of your name on various spell-checker dictionaries! Phew!
:rofl: :rofl:

Whitebeard
3rd-September-2004, 08:42 PM
Not to worry about it - it seems

Lifted this, not quite word for word, from The Times 2 supplement ..... read it quickly and without predjudice.

"Rdanieg tihs it was dfuclfit to blveiee it cluod aulaclty be udensrotod. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid. Aoccdrnig to rseearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and the lsat ltteres be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huammn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh? Yaeh, and I awlyas thoghut slpelnig was ipmorantt !!"

baldrick
3rd-September-2004, 10:16 PM
As a mild lysdexic I can type/write way faster than I can spell. I reread everything and correct what I catch, the rest takes its chances. If you want I'll not do the rewrite and then post, its fun. Relax there's no mistakes only freestyle :D

Gadget
3rd-September-2004, 10:52 PM
The seplling thnig was pointed out on this thread :little known facts (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2622&p=67104) a while ago

You could even ressurect this thread: Spelling and Dyslexia (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1049) if you wanted to
[quote]

Whitebeard
3rd-September-2004, 11:12 PM
Relax there's no mistakes only freestyle.
You haven't seen my Freestyle. But I'm sure you're right ..... the secret, easier said than done though, is to relax and just go with the flow.

Whitebeard
3rd-September-2004, 11:21 PM
The seplling thnig was pointed out on this thread :little known facts (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2622&p=67104) a while ago

You could even ressurect this thread: Spelling and Dyslexia (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1049) if you wanted to

No, I won't flog a daed hrose any further !!

Are you a Txai Gdaget? You seem to know all the bkalcayles round this place.

Minnie M
4th-September-2004, 12:31 AM
And (d), Lily, are you fed up with everyone's inability to actually spell your name?!? (The clue is in the way that Lily spelt it when she logged onto the forum!!)

Trampy

Yep and the Jive Addiction Guys have spelt Mrs. Barker's name LILI on the Southport brochure :rolleyes:

AND people still spell my name Linda (on emails) and not Lynda, even though the list is Lynda's List and my email address has my name on it too - mind you (mentioned before on another thread) they will get a shock if they look for my list with the wrong spelling :rofl: :rofl:

Lounge Lizard
4th-September-2004, 07:40 AM
Not to worry about it - it seems

Lifted this, not quite word for word, from The Times 2 supplement ..... read it quickly and without predjudice.

"Rdanieg tihs it was dfuclfit to blveiee it cluod aulaclty be udensrotod. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid. Aoccdrnig to rseearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and the lsat ltteres be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huammn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh? Yaeh, and I awlyas thoghut slpelnig was ipmorantt !!"this looks fine to me, no spelling mistakes hear.
dicktionaries.........yuo nede to no the spelling of the woed to find it.
I cant type or spell - some may have noticed by now :whistle:
even with a spell checker like word I cant get the word I am trying to use close enough to the real thing for the software to correct it.
as for using a dictionary - I spend enough time on the forum without checking every other word - I do sometimes type replies in word, spell check then cut and paste it
LL

Whitebeard
4th-September-2004, 08:18 PM
..... without checking every other word.
Sadly, I'm a bit of a nitpicker myself and spend far too much time reading and re-reading, editing and re-editing, scratching my head, and generally fussing around, that everything takes far too long.

Spelling isn't too bad but plenty of typos and this wayward keyboard quite frequently doubles up on a character (nothing to do with the repeat rate).

Gadget
4th-September-2004, 11:00 PM
Are you a Txai Gdaget? You seem to know all the bkalcayles round this place.
No, I'm not a taxi - I dance with begginers and advanced dancers with equal preference. I choose to dance with new faces over regulars most of the time. I always have an opinion and like a good argument. That makes me a regular poster on most toppics :rolleyes:

As to knowing my way arround here; I've been here a while and I remember a few things. I am then fairly good at using search engines to find what I am looking for. (although I can't find the post that I said something like this...)

If you can understand what is being said, then what is the point in highlighting the errors? There are worse crimes to grammer and punctuation on this forum than I have ever done to spelling!

Whitebeard
4th-September-2004, 11:31 PM
If you can understand what is being said, then what is the point in highlighting the errors? There are worse crimes to grammer and punctuation on this forum than I have ever done to spelling!

That goes without saying. Keep up the good work !!!

philsmove
5th-September-2004, 01:06 PM
Any letter from me that do not containe at least one spelling or gamma mistak is a forgery

MartinHarper
6th-September-2004, 10:29 AM
bkalcayles

Huh? Some of us aren't fluent in anagram...