PDA

View Full Version : Help Needed On Ben Nevis

Sheepman
3rd-March-2004, 02:40 PM
This is my 1000th post, I feel I've "come of age"! Now I had planned a missive for this milestone, that will have to wait, but at least this is a topic I'm sure hasn't appeared before on the forum!

In July, my sister (who lives in Stockholm) is having a marriage "celebration" (she's already done the civil bit) half way up Ben Nevis. (No, madness doesn't run through the entire family!) The plan is to walk up to Lochan Meall an t-Suidhe, where the celebration will take place, then continue the walk to the peak of Ben Nevis. I'm told there is a track leading up to a pony/rescue hut near the lake, and I've been given the task of finding out whether or not it is possible to hire a 4WD vehicle and get it to this point, so that elderly and infirm members of the family can take part.

Does anyone think that it's a good plan so far?

I've tried the Scottish Tourist Board on this, they promised to get back to me - stony silence since. I thought the area mountain rescue service might be able to help, but I can't find any contact details.

So can anyone supply me with any useful contact details, or do you have local knowledge that would help us decide if any of this is possible?

Greg

TheTramp
3rd-March-2004, 02:49 PM
"The easiest ascent of "The Ben" is from Glen Nevis, via Meall an t-Suidhe to the north-west following the old road which was constructed to service the hotel and observatory, now both are ruins near the summit".

This suggests that there was a road at least at one point. Whether or not it still exists would be a different matter.

I suggest (unless anyone else can tell you) that you get the OS map of the region. That might give you an idea too. It's number 0041. Any decent walking shop should sell it, or you can get it online too. You'll need it, if you're going to climb to the top anyhow (even if the path on that route is like a motorway!!).

Trampy

Stuart M
3rd-March-2004, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by Sheepman
I'm told there is a track leading up to a pony/rescue hut near the lake, and I've been given the task of finding out whether or not it is possible to hire a 4WD vehicle and get it to this point, so that elderly and infirm members of the family can take part.

Does anyone think that it's a good plan so far?

I've tried the Scottish Tourist Board on this, they promised to get back to me - stony silence since. I thought the area mountain rescue service might be able to help, but I can't find any contact details.

So can anyone supply me with any useful contact details, or do you have local knowledge that would help us decide if any of this is possible?

Greg
I would seriously doubt any of the authorities would allow a 4WD up Ben Nevis. The "Bridle path", as the common route up to the Lochan is known (it's the one Trampy's talking about) is not really suitable for vehicles anyway.
The land is owned and under the protection of the John Muir Trust (http://www.jmt.org/cons/nevis/), who are generally not keen on vehicles!

RoyBoy
3rd-March-2004, 03:55 PM
Although there is a landrover track which winds its way up the lower slopes towards the Alt n Mullin - this is the large corrie below the North face where the CIC hut is located - it is not open to the public. Even if permission were granted to use the track, it would still be about a 1hr stiff walk to the CIC hut. The Half way lochan is situated on the shoulder of the Ben, above the Alt n Mullin and its a pretty bleak place unles the sun is shining. It is best approached from the Youth Hostel in GLen Nevis, but again there is no vehicular access and would take 1.5 to 2 hrs walking. In short, I would strongly advise against making the trek for anyone who isnt reasonably fit.

An alternative may be to use the Nevis Range cable car just up the road a wee bit. Takes you up to the half way restaraunt and is absolutely sensational on a clear evening.

Twinkle Toes
3rd-March-2004, 03:58 PM
Try the Nevis range, it has a Gondola system which might be of help. It takes you up 2000 feet.

www.nevisrange.co.uk

TT x

Sheepman
3rd-March-2004, 05:32 PM
Many thanks for all your advice, I will try contacting the JMT, but you're saying pretty much what I expected, I'll email what's been said to my sister, and see if she will change plans.

There is another serious problem with her plans from my point of view. Clashing with important dance events, now this could be a real test of addiction!!

Greg