PDA

View Full Version : Feburary 29th? Proposals?

Pammy
1st-March-2004, 11:14 AM
I have it on good authority that a certain forum member was inundated with proposals on Saturday night... :really: I believe at the last count he'd been asked four times :what: .

They don't call him the Coolster for nothing :grin:

Pamkinite
x

Jayne
1st-March-2004, 11:34 AM
Well I had nae luck yesterday! I proposed to six guys over dinner - and none of them accepted... :tears: :tears: Maybe I should have made more of my feminine charms....

J :wink:

Pammy
1st-March-2004, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by Jayne
Well I had nae luck yesterday! I proposed to six guys over dinner - and none of them accepted... :tears: :tears: Maybe I should have made more of my feminine charms....

I think my other quarter ( :wink: ) muttered something about me not asking, and then I went and forgot anyway :blush: . I'll have to wait another four years I guess.

Incidentally; you have more chance of being asked than me if six men take you out to dinner at once :really: :tears: :rofl:

Andy McGregor
1st-March-2004, 11:53 AM

Maybe one of them is waiting until he can ask you:wink:

Pammy
1st-March-2004, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by Andy McGregor
Maybe one of them is waiting until he can ask you:wink:

Maybe all of them are? :wink:

Dreadful Scathe
1st-March-2004, 12:09 PM
No one proposed to me at all....wonder why ? :confused:

Pammy
1st-March-2004, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by Dreadful Scathe
No one proposed to me at all....wonder why ? :confused:

Bugger! Well, if I'd known that yesterday :whistle:

By the way, 'bout time you changed your sig. me thinks; or haven't you noticed yet :wink:

Px

ChrisA
1st-March-2004, 12:16 PM

Hah :devil:

... this, from the girl that had a marriage proposal from Viktor a couple of weeks ago, and turned him down.

:rolleyes:

spindr
1st-March-2004, 12:23 PM

Well, you should have at least made a profit...

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/February_29
"There is a tradition that women may make a proposal of marriage to men only on February 29; this is a tightening of an older tradition that such proposals may only occur on leap years. In 1288 the Scottish parliament legislated that any woman could propose in Leap Year. The man may, of course, refuse but, by tradition, he should soften the blow by providing a kiss, one pound currency and a pair of gloves (some later sources say a silk gown). This law was adopted in France, Switzerland and Italy and the tradition was carried to America."

Loitered specially late on Saturday, but no takers :D

SpinDr.

Dreadful Scathe
1st-March-2004, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by ChrisA
... this, from the girl that had a marriage proposal from Viktor a couple of weeks ago, and turned him down.

sheesh, I wouldnt have turned down Viktor :D

Originally posted by Perfect Pam
By the way, 'bout time you changed your sig. me thinks; or haven't you noticed yet [/B]

huh ? wha ? why ? no unnerstand, its ironic isnt it?!

Jayne
1st-March-2004, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by spindr

"There is a tradition that women may make a proposal of marriage to men only on February 29; this is a tightening of an older tradition that such proposals may only occur on leap years. In 1288 the Scottish parliament legislated that any woman could propose in Leap Year. The man may, of course, refuse but, by tradition, he should soften the blow by providing a kiss, one pound currency and a pair of gloves (some later sources say a silk gown). This law was adopted in France, Switzerland and Italy and the tradition was carried to America."

Tee hee hee! Come on guys, pay up!! You know who you were!

J :rofl:

Pammy
1st-March-2004, 12:49 PM
Tee hee hee! Come on guys, pay up!! You know who you were!

Yes, I want my gloves AND a silk gown - crikey Chris, this could prove an expensive week for you :wink:

DS: Check out Boomers sig :grin:

Bill
1st-March-2004, 12:50 PM

and you wonder why you have a reputation.......or are you just trying to develop one :rolleyes:

6 men eh...................... must have been a hell of a meal :innocent:

Divissima
1st-March-2004, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by Spindr:
he should soften the blow by providing a kiss, one pound currency and a pair of gloves (some later sources say a silk gown). Yeah, Coolster - pucker/pay up!:wink:

And Neil, so sorry - if we'd only known we were likely to get a better response from you :wink: :flower: Chris just muttered something about not moving to Utah....

I was intending to wind Toby up by dropping to one knee at various moments throughout the day, then fiddling with a shoe lace/looking at the carpet, etc. - but got so engrossed in the Drama of the Tea that I missed my chance. :tears:

xSalsa_Angelx
1st-March-2004, 01:07 PM
Ooooops I forgot about the leap year women proposing thing, I would have asked Andy :tears:

But then it would not have been romantic anyways sending him a text or asking on the phone while he is away.

Pammy
1st-March-2004, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by Divissima
Yeah, Coolster - pucker/pay up!:wink:

He's gone very quiet :rofl:

Lynn
1st-March-2004, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by spindr

I knew I had heard that somewhere before about a silk dress. I had planned yesterday to propose so that I would get a nice new dress and had carefully explained that this was the reason why... but I didn't. So no new dress for me then :tears: :tears:

Maybe I was scared he might say yes!:wink:

spindr
1st-March-2004, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by Divissima
And Neil, so sorry - if we'd only known we were likely to get a better response from you :wink: :flower:

You'll never know now... but then I've nearly been caught on the silk-dress scam before...

I was intending to wind Toby up by dropping to one knee at various moments throughout the day, then fiddling with a shoe lace/looking at the carpet, etc. - but got so engrossed in the Drama of the Tea that I missed my chance. :tears:

You should've grabbed the microphone at midnight on Saturday -- that might have got his attention :)

Of course, there's always November 15 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sadie_Hawkins) --- might make an interesting theme for a dance.

And always useful to have an incentive for getting more running training in!

SpinDr.

Heather
1st-March-2004, 01:49 PM
DS, since when did you become 'Senor Smurf' ? Is this an indication of a hitherto unknown Spanish parentage?? I always thought that you were born in Bonnie Dundee (Centre of the Dancing Universe)?:confused: :confused:

:kiss: :hug:
Heather,
XX

Dreadful Scathe
1st-March-2004, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by Heather
DS, since when did you become 'Senor Smurf' ? Is this an indication of a hitherto unknown Spanish parentage?? I always thought that you were born in Bonnie Dundee (Centre of the Dancing Universe)?:confused: :confused:

Ive always been 'Senor Smurf' as I like Siestas, and as Gadget pointed out on another thread its a play on 'Senior Member'. Strangely although both my parents were from Dundee (well, Tayport anyway) I was actually born in Leith, Edinburgh. And now no one is reading this as its really boring, so flibble wibble, Lick the screen to continue.

Pammy
1st-March-2004, 03:43 PM
I really need a pair of gloves - my nice SHEEEEEPskin ones have worn through on one finger and I have to squeeze two fingers into one in order to keep it warm :tears: John Lewis don't sell that sort anymore - SHEEEEEP fur lined with fingers - only do them as mittens now, which are no good for driving :sad:

So, Chris, I'll await my new pair, oh and a blue silk dress. If not, I like big diamonds, big BIG diamonds :grin: :rofl: So big you'd have to call it a bardolomite :wink:

Jayne
1st-March-2004, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by Pammy
So, Chris, I'll await my new pair, oh and a blue silk dress. If not, I like big diamonds, big BIG diamonds :grin: :rofl: So big you'd have to call it a bardolomite :wink:
Oi!! I asked him for a diamond before you did!!! No luck so far though - but I'm working on it.... :wink:

J :nice:

Pammy
1st-March-2004, 03:53 PM
Oi!! I asked him for a diamond before you did!!! No luck so far though - but I'm working on it.... :wink:

If he bought four at once they might work out a special rate :wink:

Jayne
1st-March-2004, 04:18 PM
If he bought four at once they might work out a special rate :wink:
four diamonds - one ring, two earrings, one necklace... Oh - you meant one for each girl who asked him on sunday....

ChrisA
1st-March-2004, 04:36 PM
He's gone very quiet :rofl:
I've just looked at this thread after getting sidetracked on to other things for the last few hours....

... and now I'm in shock. :tears:

But girls, you had your chance to become Mormons and move to Utah with me, but you blew it.

It wasn't so much that I turned you down - in fact I got the distinct impression that you were getting cold feet as soon as I alluded to my other abilities... maybe you didn't think you'd have the energy to keep up :waycool:

Chris

:flower: :flower: :flower: :flower:

TheTramp
1st-March-2004, 04:40 PM
I think that we've moved into the realms of too much information here Chris!!

Who am I kidding?!?

I know that we've moved into those realms!!! :na:

Trampy

Jayne
1st-March-2004, 04:45 PM
Chris
:flower: :flower: :flower: :flower:
How about that girls, an e-flower for each of us...

The dress & diamonds are in the post, I trust!

J :nice:

ChrisA
1st-March-2004, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by TheTramp
I think that we've moved into the realms of too much information here Chris!!

I can't imagine what you might be thinking about Trampster... I trust you're not besmirching my unimpeachable reputation for respectability.... :tears:

Anyway, I put it all down to competition nerves... :wink:

Pammy
1st-March-2004, 04:53 PM
The dress & diamonds are in the post, I trust!

Don't forget the gloves :grin:

TheTramp
1st-March-2004, 05:00 PM
Anyway, I put it all down to competition nerves... :wink: Nah. There's no nerves any more. Just doing it to have fun.

Trampy

ChrisA
1st-March-2004, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by TheTramp
Nah. There's no nerves any more. Just doing it to have fun.

That might be true for a beginner like yourself, but once you get to the intermediates, you'll find out what it can be like ... :rolleyes:

:whistle:

Pammy
1st-March-2004, 05:06 PM
That might be true for a beginner like yourself, but once you get to the intermediates, you'll find out what it can be like ... :rolleyes:

You tell him hubby :wink:

TheTramp
1st-March-2004, 05:07 PM

:whistle: That's why I'm staying down in the beginners. I don't want to compete against the average people, let alone the best :whistle: :whistle: :worthy:

Trampy

Bardsey
1st-March-2004, 05:09 PM
Incidentally; you have more chance of being asked than me if six men take you out to dinner at once :really: :tears: :rofl:

Me too, I say stop being so selfish and share them out :rofl: :rofl:

Andy McGregor
1st-March-2004, 05:09 PM
I can't imagine what you might be thinking about Trampster... I trust you're not besmirching my unimpeachable reputation for respectability.... :tears:

Anyway, I put it all down to competition nerves... :wink:

Two red cards I think - should look nice with 2 diamonds on each:wink:

Bardsey
1st-March-2004, 05:13 PM
you'd have to call it a bardolomite :wink:

Did someone call???

Pammy
1st-March-2004, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by Bardsey
Did someone call???

Only to say, why be a four when we can be a quintet - that's one for every weeknight Chris :wink: !?!

Px :rofl: