PDA

View Full Version : The Talc Thing

Chicklet
27th-February-2004, 10:09 AM
If you're sitting comfortably....

Last week I went to a new (to me) venue and found the floor sticky (I'm a crappy spinner at the best of times and appreciate a bit of glide if I can get it).

I enquired of a (lovely dancer and respected forum member) taxi dancer if the crowd had any objections to a little talc and was told no, no problem.

I put a little down in the least used corner of the room and saw a few of the other (probably more experienced) dancers dipping the odd toe.

Had a great night all in all.

Following week I was a bit later arriving at the same venue and noted that someone else has already placed a small amount in the same corner. I dipped in this until it ran out around 9.45 and topped it up a little. Around 10 I danced quite near that corner with a gentleman (another well respected forum member) who asked, seemingly not too pleased, who had put the talc down.

I fessed up to having put a little down he said nothing further and it wasn't a big deal. ( I'm fairly sure) We're still buddies:D

But it prompted me to think about it a little all week and now I would like to ask for views.

IMHO, a small amount in a corner, for use by those who like and easily walkaroundable for those who don't shouldn't be a prob.

(In hindsight I think perhaps this week's had spread a bit more than the ideal but I think it was still only visible in the corner square less than a yard by a yard).

Anyway, what y'all think and does anyone know of or developed any kind of selftalcing system for use on the social dance floor??
(I have tried dabbing my own shoes from a seated position and leaving the talc on a plastic bag at the side but neither could be called succesful ploys!)

C:grin:

Jayne
27th-February-2004, 10:41 AM
The floor in Acton Town Hall on Wednesday was appaling so I resorted to the old talc trick. Having been told that there had been complaints in Ealing about talc on the floor I poured it into my hand and rubbed it on the soles of my shoes. BUT I do wear suade soled shoes so it sticks to my soles - I imagine if you're wearing dance trainers then this wouldn't work.

If you're not spreading it *all* over the floor then what's the problem?

J :nice:

Bill
27th-February-2004, 11:43 AM
No problems about having it on the floor ............but doesn't that make it very difficult to get your armpits down that far :sick: :D

Chicklet
27th-February-2004, 11:48 AM
maybe we should try and invent a new VERY LOW dip move to sort out the issue then Bill!!!:waycool:

see you Sat for a practice!

Andy McGregor
27th-February-2004, 12:05 PM
I was at Acton and found a loveley patch of Talc amongst the seating at the side so I 'dipped'. And there was one corner which had got some talc in it too.

Speaking personally I found this was the ideal solution to a very sticky floor.

I've seen Katie from Rebel Roc walk though the dancers shaking Talc on the floor.

So what is the counter argument to the use of Talc as I've never had a problem and am now thinking of getting some for my dancing bag - maybe a nice perfumed talc, possibly 'Lily of the Valley':flower:

spindr
27th-February-2004, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by Andy McGregor
So what is the counter argument to the use of Talc as I've never had a problem...

Well, presumably some poor soul has to sweep the (corner of the) floor to get it presentable for the next (non-dancing) event. What's the problem with bringing an extra pair of "fast" shoes?

I still have nightmares about the doorman who just walked onto the floor casually broadcasting talculm powder in the middle of a track -- the floor when from slightly tacky to having lethal super slidey patches in seconds. It took 10-20 minutes to get it back to a reliable surface.

SpinDr.

TheTramp
27th-February-2004, 12:16 PM
2 problems with putting talc on the floor.

1st is that most venues don't like it. It has to be cleaned up afterwards, and you'll find that they will start to complain.

2nd is that if you're used to the floor being fairly sticky, and all of a sudden you an in a 'talc area', it can be a little disconcerting when you suddenly start to slide. Especially if you walk through it, without noticing it, and then try to move in the way you have been accustomed that night, and then almost fall over. Which may or may not have happened on the night in question, though I'm equally sure that there is no harm done at all to the relationship in question.

I suggest that maybe if you want to talc up your shoes, you should just apply it to the bottom of your own (as Jayne suggests), without actually putting down a little pile of it. A small pile is easily walkaroundable, true. But only if you actually notice it. :D

Trampy

Jayne
27th-February-2004, 12:58 PM
General points:

1) I don't agree with spreading it all over the floor - some people may not be having problems and it could just make it even faster for them...

2) Although I see the point of not having patches of talc because someone could suddenly slip on it I don't see the problem of a wee pile in the corner somewhere.

3) really, it's not a hassle to clean it up - sweep the floor.

4) an extra pair of fast shoes??? please...

5) if we're talking about patches of slippyness & non-slippyness then I have a soapbox about people who drop liquid on the floor (either drinks or sweat). Gonnae naw do tha'! I wear suede soled shoes and go from lovely flowing movement to beig stuck to the floor in a fraction of a second, sometimes pulling at tendons in ankle & knees. [/soapbox mode]

J :nice:

Stuart M
27th-February-2004, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by Jayne
Gonnae naw do tha'!
Ahem...it's "Gawnae no dae tha'!"

No true Glaswegian would ever say "do", except in reference to pigeons...:D

Jayne
27th-February-2004, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by Stuart M
Ahem...it's "Gawnae no dae tha'!"

No true Glaswegian would ever say "do", except in reference to pigeons...:D
Would a Weegie actually say "no"?

J :wink:

Chicklet
27th-February-2004, 01:31 PM

:clap: to this sauce nonsense instead of vinegar on chips perchance?:D

Petal
27th-February-2004, 02:17 PM
General points:

I don't see the problem of a wee pile in the corner somewhere.

Just occurred to me maybe a powder tray in a corner would help similar to the powder trays provided for gymnasts to dip their hands before performing.

Andy McGregor
27th-February-2004, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by Jillian
Just occurred to me maybe a powder tray in a corner would help similar to the powder trays provided for gymnasts to dip their hands before performing.

Great idea. You'd probably need a mat to brush off the excess so you didn't leave a trail of talc footprints.

p.s. Could be a new use for unwanted ash trays:devil:

Dreadful Scathe
27th-February-2004, 02:57 PM

yes they do, usually at the end of every sentance, no ? :D

Pammy
27th-February-2004, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by Dreadful Scathe

Ah, the Smurf; once I'd seen you'd contributed a post, I felt sure it would have nothing to do with talc and sure enough... :grin:

Incidentally, do they do blue talc? :what:

fruitcake
27th-February-2004, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by Dreadful Scathe

Sometimes they don't fisnish the sentence with no,I have old glaswegian men on the phone fer ma job, and they call me hen, at the end of every sentence,eh hen.
What do they call the men, cockerel? ( That's not what I put down the first time....)
They also are renowned for "by the way"at the end of sentences.
Its a nice day, by the way"

Is it not special pwder that is used for dancing rather than talc, by the way?
Fruitcake

Bill
27th-February-2004, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by Chicklet
maybe we should try and invent a new VERY LOW dip move to sort out the issue then Bill!!!:waycool:

see you Sat for a practice!

I'll see what I can do................. I'll bring the talc - you can bring a little strappy top and a bare armpit :D

Gareth
29th-February-2004, 11:27 AM
most venues don't like it. It has to be cleaned up afterwards, and you'll find that they will start to complain.

Trampster is quite correct, my venue has complained in the past about the use of talc, for all the reasons previously stated. So it would probably be polite to ask the organiser before placing liberal amounts over the floor. :grin:

Alfie
29th-February-2004, 12:12 PM
Hi Gang,
My local venue has just banned the use of talc on the dance floor.
There have been complaints from the ballroom club who also use the venue as they have had some injuries recently.
The only way to get Talc of the floor is to wash it of which damages the floor surface if it has been waxed and polished correctly.
I have danced on some vey poor floor surfaces, and if you complain the venue usually do somthing to improve them.
I have also been known to slow a fast floor down by using soap flakes but this also damages the polish

Gareth
29th-February-2004, 01:54 PM
I remember doing ballroom competitions and it was the normal thing to see an area of soap powder. But this was for grip rather than to speed the floor up. I can`t remmber any complaints about this.

Stuart M
29th-February-2004, 02:04 PM
Originally quoted by Jayne

Naw, yur right enuff therr, hen.
Think I can safely assume this was a question about dialect...

Originally quoted by fruitcake
What do they call the men, cockerel? ( That's not what I put down the first time....)
Jimmy - all Glaswegian men are called Jimmy...or bawheid :D

RogerR
7th-March-2004, 06:06 PM
Modern venues, ever concious of today's litigatious society, prepare a standard floor to suit general usage. They will usually have it in their hire contract that hirers will not apply any sobstance to the floor, soap resin talc etc, AND hold the hirer financially liable for any cleaning required. Notre Dame Hall Leicester Square did 10 years ago, and an overnight strip, seal and polish costs a fortune.