PDA

View Full Version : Hipsters

RoyBoy
3rd-February-2004, 06:35 PM
This is a long shot. It's 5:30, I'm staying in the docklands area, would like to go to Hipsters, looking for a lift from anyone passing or will give a lift to anyone in the area who will read the map?
Come back!!!

ChrisA
4th-February-2004, 10:58 AM
How busy was it last night? And anyone care to comment on the musicality theme that Amir was starting?

I missed last night and will miss next week too, since it'll be the last Tues at Bisley, but I'd be interested to hear how it went.

Chris

Mary
4th-February-2004, 11:19 AM
It was Amir's birthday yesterday (no, it wasn't on the forum!) - did he get to do the the obligatory birthday jam? Did he dance with Will?

Had to miss last night - gutted :sad: (new injury, doh)

Going tonight tho' :grin:

Mster

Will
4th-February-2004, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by ChrisA
How busy was it last night? And anyone care to comment on the musicality theme that Amir was starting?

I missed last night and will miss next week too, since it'll be the last Tues at Bisley, but I'd be interested to hear how it went.

Chris

Was very good in my opinion. Busy, but not overcrowded. And the music wasn't totally swing which is also a good thing for me. Didn't get there in time to see Amir's class. Saw his birthday dance (which I was very tempted to dive bomb after he did that to mine last week!).

Sheepman
4th-February-2004, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by Will
which I was very tempted to dive bomb I didn't realise you were so shy Will. You make a lovely couple!

I saw about 15 minutes of Amir's lesson, and people were enthusing about it. It seemed to be based about the 8 beat structure of the music, a theme which Nigel continued with his lesson.

It wasn't overly crowded, just enough to inhibit me! :sad:

Greg

Mary
4th-February-2004, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by Sheepman

, just enough to inhibit me! :sad:

Greg

Since when have you been inhibited .....................in those trousers!:really:

M

Andy McGregor
4th-February-2004, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by Mary
Going tonight tho' :grin:

Mster

See you there:clap:

Had to miss last night - gutted :sad: (new injury, doh)

Take it easy. I'd hate to beat you at Blackpool because you're injured - I want to beat you fair and square:devil:

Pammy
4th-February-2004, 04:34 PM
and me :-) :hug:

Graham W
5th-February-2004, 02:34 PM
Fab set again on Tues...

G

Must get free entrance next time now?

Divissima
18th-February-2004, 02:01 AM
It was less crowded tonight than my last Hipsters Tuesdays.

There were loads of women over which meant you had to fight for your next dance :tears: :really: I had some great dances, though - and just the sexiest dance I've had in ages to 'In these shoes..?' :yum:

So, who's going tomorrow?

ChrisA
18th-February-2004, 02:07 AM
Originally posted by Divissima
It would be rude not to, IMHO.

I mean, nah, far too busy. Even worse than Tuesdays :devil:

Re tonight, bring back Nigel, all is forgiven. And next time there's a visiting DJ, I vote he just DJs :devil:

Chris

ChrisA
18th-February-2004, 02:17 AM
By the way, could someone confirm that it's at Acton next Tuesday for two weeks, ie that tomorow it's still at Ealing?

TIA,
Chris

Divissima
18th-February-2004, 02:19 AM
The set was rather good - and for the Tuesday people who are less into lindy, there seemed to be fewer lindy tracks than JonB would usually play.

I had to leave just as Sheepy got his birthday dance :blush: In fact the only thing more frustrating than having to leave early, is not being able to go at all.

Great to see Foxylady there tonight :grin:

Divissima
18th-February-2004, 02:25 AM
Originally posted by Chris:
could someone confirm that it's at Acton next Tuesday for two weeks, ie that tomorow it's still at Ealing?
The flyer handed out this evening says that the applicable dates for Acton Town Hall are Tuesday 24 and Wednesday 25 Feb, Tuesday 2 and Wednesday 3 March.

Lory
18th-February-2004, 02:28 AM
Don't know what was wrong with me tonight but I was utterly RUBBISH!
I didn't particularly like the class and for the rest of the night, I just couldn't seem to get into it at all!:sad:

So I apologise to all the poor (lovely) men who suffered dancing with me tonight! It wasn't U, it was MEEEEEEEEE! :tears: :tears: :tears:

ChrisA
18th-February-2004, 02:51 AM
Originally posted by Lory
I didn't particularly like the class
Neither did I. I thought he liked the sound of his voice far too much at the expense of the teaching. Not a bad routine, though, I thought. I'd never done the pretzel that way round before.

So I apologise to all the poor (lovely) men who suffered dancing with me tonight!
Hope you're not apologising to me. I didn't suffer at all :hug:

:flower:

Chris

Geordieed
18th-February-2004, 10:38 AM
Alot of my partners were frowning up at the stage then looked at me as we both frowned at each last night when the tracks came on. Maybe the reason that so many people had a bad night was that what we got was not what we were expecting from a normal Tuesday night. (To be kind)

Mind you it helps us to appreciate Nigel and JB more. (Don't want to leave him out so Amir you are great too) Nights like last night shows why Hipsters works well as an alternative if you get what I mean.

Sheepman
18th-February-2004, 11:21 AM
I didn't suffer at all :hug: Neither did I Lory, except at my own ineptitude. :flower:

Greg

Mary
18th-February-2004, 11:24 AM
I really rather enjoyed last night. Not too crowded. Had some pretty cool dances - y'know those dances where you think it's going to be going thru' the motions but turn out to be luscious :drool:

Although I couldn't say I like all of Kerrin's music, I rather enjoyed the change, and therefore able to muck about with different stuff. Will still always love JB mind. And I found the atmosphere a lot more chilled out and friendly than on a usual Tuesday.:cheers:

M

Jayne
18th-February-2004, 11:28 AM
So who's going tonight then?

I have my special, new shirt that needs to see some action this evening...

..any takers?

J :innocent:

Geordieed
18th-February-2004, 11:29 AM
Yeh. Does anyone know why there weren't as many people around.

Some not so regular dancers were there specifically because it was half term and could afford to travel further and get home late.

Plus does anyone know what the dancefloor/venue is like for next week.

foxylady
18th-February-2004, 11:30 AM
Nice to see you too Divi - and my offer was serious and would enable us both to stay until 11.30 so take me up on it !!

the music wasn't up to its usual standard I agree, but the dancing I had was excellent....

A sublime :yum:dance or three with ChrisA (only three :tears: ), two with Sheepy, a great blues dance with someone, and more....

Just too many women, and having to fight for dances... Ho hum, can't win em all....

Well off to the Jive Bar tonight....

ChrisA
18th-February-2004, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by Geordieed

Look, will everyone quit with the "it wasn't so busy as usual" lines????

I mean, duhhhhhhhhh :rolleyes:

If it's not so busy, the proper thing to do is to SHUT UP

:devil:

Geordieed
18th-February-2004, 11:43 AM
I think you need the rabbit from the Cadbury's Caramel advert in your life Chris.

Any volunteers.

ChrisA
18th-February-2004, 11:45 AM
I think you need the rabbit from the Cadbury's Caramel advert in your life Chris.
:confused: :confused:

Geordieed
18th-February-2004, 11:48 AM
I know that you are too young to remember:( :whistle: :( .

Just take time out, relax, put your feet up and enjoy a nice cool refreshing drink with a chill pill.

Sheepman
18th-February-2004, 11:51 AM
Plus does anyone know what the dancefloor/venue is like for next week. From memory I would say it is better than Ealing, but a floor that hasn't been used for a while? I'll take 1/2 a dozen pairs of shoes just in case!

The only problem is a smaller car park, but I think local parking is OK.

Greg

Divissima
18th-February-2004, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by Foxy:
Nice to see you too Divi - and my offer was serious and would enable us both to stay until 11.30 so take me up on it !!You betcha! It's very kind of you, Tessa :flower: And anything which means I get to dance more is more than fine by me :waycool: And when TwK isn't there dance I get to dance more with all the other fantastic boys *but shhhhh* :wink:

A sublime dance or three with ChrisA (only three )Yes, he was on excellent form *swoon* - but I only got two :tears:

ChrisA
18th-February-2004, 12:00 PM
Yes, he was on excellent form *swoon* - but I only got two :tears:
Yeah, well you ran out on me early, didn't you :tears:

Mary
18th-February-2004, 12:01 PM

Yes, he was on excellent form *swoon* - but I only got two :tears:

You're lucky - I only got one (I think), AND I had to queue up for ages for that one. I counted 4 ladies (at least) and a minimum of 6 tracks before I was able to muscle in.:tears: :tears:

M

ChrisA
18th-February-2004, 12:04 PM
You're lucky - I only got one (I think), AND I had to queue up for ages for that one. I counted 4 ladies (at least) and a minimum of 6 tracks before I was able to muscle in.:tears: :tears:

Ah, diddums....

... though I expect Nigel managed to fill the gap for you, eh, M?

C:devil:

Lounge Lizard
18th-February-2004, 03:02 PM

Some not so regular dancers were there specifically because it was half term and could afford to travel further and get home late.
Dorking was busy over 130 last night, but Ceroc Plus opened at H.G. Wells Woking last night, perhaps some dancers were checking that out.
Anything on in south London tonight?
peter

Mary
18th-February-2004, 03:41 PM
Ah, diddums....

... though I expect Nigel managed to fill the gap for you, eh, M?

C:devil:

OUCH!!

But there was only one partner I queued for - so there. I WANT MY SYMPATHY.:angry: :tears:

M :wink:

ChrisA
18th-February-2004, 03:53 PM
But there was only one partner I queued for - so there. I WANT MY SYMPATHY.:angry: :tears:

Ok, OK.... I'll try and make it up to you tonight, would that be Ok?

:flower: :flower: :flower:

Mary
18th-February-2004, 03:56 PM
Ok, OK.... I'll try and make it up to you tonight, would that be Ok?

:flower: :flower: :flower:

Awww. Shucks. Thanks.:blush:

Apologies to all for helping to make this thread deteriorate into soppy drivel!!:flower:

M

Lory
24th-February-2004, 10:30 AM
Anyone going to Hipster's tonight, don't forget, it's not at Ealing! It's at Acton Town Hall! :nice:

ChrisA
24th-February-2004, 10:53 AM
Anyone going to Hipster's tonight, don't forget, it's not at Ealing! It's at Acton Town Hall! :nice:

Do you know, I've had about 5 reminders from various people since last Tuesday...

...and this still made me think "blimey, so it is"...

Thanks Lory, SYL.

Divissima
24th-February-2004, 11:03 AM
I've just checked the transport links for Acton Town Hall tonight - and I don't think I'll be coming after all... :tears: :really:
Sorry, guys - I'm gutted :tears: :tears:
I can just about get there under my own steam but really don't fancy walking back to Acton Town tube to get home - my brother used to live just around the corner and was mugged on his way home one night (he still has the scars).....
TwK and I may try out the Great Portland Street venue instead - anyone been who can give me the lowdown?

Jooles
24th-February-2004, 12:48 PM
Well you certainly won't have any trouble with the tube. The venue is about 30 seconds away from Great Portland Street station and it's a very busy, well lit, part of town. I'm reserving judgement on the venue intself. I went last week and had a good night, but not a great night.

foxylady
24th-February-2004, 12:48 PM
I've just checked the transport links for Acton Town Hall tonight - and I don't think I'll be coming after all... :tears: :really:
Sorry, guys - I'm gutted :tears: :tears:
I can just about get there under my own steam but really don't fancy walking back to Acton Town tube to get home - my brother used to live just around the corner and was mugged on his way home one night (he still has the scars).....
TwK and I may try out the Great Portland Street venue instead - anyone been who can give me the lowdown?

Well next week Divi I'll give you a lift, but tonigt I'm taxi-ing at ISH - so the low down is 'its the place to be' !!
Seriously its a nice venue, but needs a bigger group of intermediate dancers to start coming to lift it a little. I enjoy the group that do go, and I enjoy the space to dance, but we need more ! I danced with a guy called Colin, from Bromley, there and had one of the best dances ever :clap: :clap:, and last time I was there, Jonathen (who has just started teaching with Blitz jive up in machester, and used to come to the jive bar from time to time) was there :drool: :swoon: (Franck - there needs to be a :swoon: emoticon !)

Hopefully see you later

FL

(Divi if you would like a lift back from ISH, just ask - I know the tubes are fine, but I'll be in the car anyway)

Sheepman
24th-February-2004, 02:12 PM
Anyone going to Hipster's tonight, don't forget, it's not at Ealing! It's at Acton Town Hall! See you there, though not much chance of a dance :tears: as I'll be slaving behind the bar.

Greg

ChrisA
2nd-March-2004, 04:01 PM
Just in case anyone is as plank-like as I was last week (needing about 5 reminders before I finally got it through my head)...

Hipsters is at Acton Town Hall again tonight and tomorrow night

Boomer
2nd-March-2004, 04:10 PM
What?:what: So Hipsters is not at ealing tonight...where is it?

TheTramp
2nd-March-2004, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by Boomer
What?:what: So Hipsters is not at ealing tonight...where is it? 1st I've heard about that!!! :devil:

Trampy

Mary
2nd-March-2004, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by TheTramp
1st I've heard about that!!! :devil:

Trampy

So are you going tonight then or wot? S'not far y'know. Put me down for a dance - or will I have to wait 'til Friday?:devil: :flower:

M

TheTramp
2nd-March-2004, 05:21 PM
So are you going tonight then or wot? S'not far y'know. Put me down for a dance - or will I have to wait 'til Friday?:devil: :flower: I'd love to come down to Hipsters. Unfortunately, I work on a Tuesday and Wednesday, so it's always going to be a bit of a no-goer. Was looking at coming down to London on Thursday, so that I could meet up with Hayley before the competition (y'know, to try to remember what she looks like :D (Okie, so if I'm honest, I can't forget that :worthy: )), but it didn't quite work out :(

So, it'll have to be Friday. Where Hayley and I will be doing as much practise as possible. But I'll definitely keep a space free for you too :hug:

Trampy

Jayne
14th-April-2004, 10:51 AM
So Amir will be taking the classes on Wednesdays from now on....

Personally, I can't wait! :worthy: :clap: (BTW, wasn't that a fab class last night?)

...so who's going to the classes this evening (not just the freestyle)? Hope to see some familiar faces tonight....

J :nice:

ChrisA
14th-April-2004, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by Jayne
...so who's going to the classes this evening (not just the freestyle)?I will be - I'm really looking forward to seeing how Amir goes about teaching a beginners class.

Anyone care to bet on semi-circles and visual signals?

No? Didn't think so, somehow... :devil:

Chris

Doc Iain
14th-April-2004, 11:39 AM
(BTW, wasn't that a fab class last night?)

FAB.... did not envisage ever dancing to that track when I heard it on the Kill Bill soundtrack.... :yum: fab fab fab!:clap: :clap: :clap: :grin:

Sheepman
14th-April-2004, 12:04 PM
So Amir will be taking the classes on Wednesdays from now on.... A lot of people didn't know that.

Can't do tonight, still relative bound, and as one of them is a teacher of chefs, I can't just bung another pizza in the oven!

Greg

ChrisA
14th-April-2004, 12:10 PM
and as one of them is a teacher of chefs, I can't just bung another pizza in the oven!
The obvious solution, then, is to get him or her to cook.

Chris

Jayne
14th-April-2004, 12:12 PM
A lot of people didn't know that.
I could shout louder....

J :nice:

Sheepman
14th-April-2004, 12:30 PM
The obvious solution, then, is to get him or her to cook. You might have thought so, no sign of any volunteering yet though. I suspect he is related to Jayne, she doesn't shout very loud, so he's also the shy and retiring type. :wink: (They share the same name).

Of course it could just be that he is daunted by my culinary expertise :rofl:

Greg

ChrisA
11th-May-2004, 11:02 AM
For those with a memory as bad as mine....

Hipsters is at Acton tonight and tomorrow!!

Pammy
11th-May-2004, 11:03 AM

Will you be wearing your cape and yellow boots? :wink:

ChrisA
11th-May-2004, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by Pammy
Will you be wearing your cape and yellow boots? :wink:
:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Pammy
11th-May-2004, 11:12 AM
:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Staying incognito eh? :wink: Don't worry, Mum's the word... shhhhhhh!!!!!!

ChrisA
11th-May-2004, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by Pammy
Staying incognito eh? :wink: Don't worry, Mum's the word... shhhhhhh!!!!!!
Ok, I've seen the other thread now. :angry:

Bad girl, Pammy, bad girl :rofl:

dee
11th-May-2004, 02:11 PM
For those with a memory as bad as mine....

Is it really??? i never knew :flower:

ChrisA
11th-May-2004, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by dee
Is it really??? i never knew :flower:
Yep. Details are on the web site...

www.hipstersjive.co.uk

dee
11th-May-2004, 02:30 PM
Yep. Details are on the web site...

www.hipstersjive.co.uk

Thanks for that Chris, people i knew didnt know either, youre a star :flower:

DavidB
11th-May-2004, 03:25 PM
For anyone going to Hipsters tonight - check that the Tube is ok. There was a derailment (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/3704101.stm) on the Central Line this afternoon, and at the moment the line is suspended from Marble Arch to North Acton.

David

Sheepman
11th-May-2004, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by DavidB
a derailment on the Central Line Shouldn't be a major problem, as Acton Town/Ealing Common are the nearest tube stations (Picadilly line) for Acton Town Hall. More details (http://tube.tfl.gov.uk/content/pressreleases/0405/11.asp)

ChrisA
12th-May-2004, 09:38 AM
Shouldn't be a major problem Pah. Well despite my brightly coloured reminder for muppets with really short term memories...

Hipsters is at Acton tonight !! Some complete plank got into the car on complete autopilot and STILL went to Acton via the Ealing Town Hall car park....

Guess how I know... :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush:

Chris, Alzheimers 'r' us

Sheepman
2nd-June-2004, 03:09 PM
No apologies for dredging up this old thread, though do I hear a nation groaning? I planned to dredge up the much older version with the same name, but for some reason it's been closed?

Anyway, with all the recent talk of Wednesdays at Hipsters, and of "superclubs", I just had to say last night was possibly my best EVER night at Hipsters. I'm sure I had a head splitting grin from start to finish, I'm sure it was just a normal night for most other folks, so I'd better explain.

1. It's half term, no traffic! I got there on time!!!

2. There was plenty of space to be very "extravagant", we'd been advised by email that we might not be in the main hall, this always puts some people off, but then we were in the main hall, and with the tables pushed back.

3. The floor was great, (as usual).

4. One of JBs best music sets.

5. An excellent lesson from Nigel, but not at all easy, as anyone who tried it in freestyle would testify. (I missed Roger's lesson, as I was "working" on other stuff.)

6. Most importantly, totally brilliant dancers, from as far as Brighton, and Manchester (? - well that's what Nigel said, but I thought Helen was from Leeds). It was a gathering of great dancers that only happens on very special occasions, or in your dreams.

Originally posted by Andy McGregor
Even though it pains me to agree with LL, I, mostly, do. Although, as I implied in an earlier post, I don't think you can measure quality of dancing at a venue by number of dancers attending that venue.

People that don't go to Hipsters have got it into their heads that it's the Oxbridge of Jive: people that do go to Hipsters regularly know what it is. Well I sort of agree and disagree with this. For a start, too many people in any venue ruins it for me.
There is a huge range of abilities (and styles) to be displayed on almost any Tuesday at Hipsters, but IMO it is the only place I can go to where there will most regularly be a selection of top dancers that you would otherwise only find at special events or weekenders. On Wednesdays you won't often find so many of the top dancers there, but IMO the standard of dancers is still higher than other venues I might visit.
And despite what some others may have experienced, I do find it is the friendliest London venue I go to, but I know there can be nights where it can feel clicquey, and it does take time to feel part of the crowd.

Greg

Gus
2nd-June-2004, 03:37 PM
6. Most importantly, totally brilliant dancers, from as far as Brighton, and Manchester (? - well that's what Nigel said, but I thought Helen was from Leeds).

You will have to forgive Nigel (creeping senility :wink: ) ... Helen has the misfortune to partner me ... I'm South Manchester based, however Helen is indeed Leeds based, one of the teachers for Blitz at Pubsey and North Leeds. Only comment I got from Helen was a short txt ranting on how brilliant the dancers were :sad: WISH I COULD BE THERE etc. etc. etc.

DavidB
2nd-June-2004, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by Gus
Pubsey Are you implying that Helen drinks a lot?

Gus
2nd-June-2004, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by DavidB
Are you implying that Helen drinks a lot?

Could explain why she thinks you are wonderfull to dance with :tears:

Sheepman
2nd-June-2004, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by Gus
at Pubsey [/i] I believe Bardsey works there, so I expect everyone is a trifle incoherent. (He says, safe in the knowledge that Bardsey won't be looking in on this thread!)

Greg

Peter
23rd-June-2004, 01:07 PM
What a pleasure to dance with last night's Hipsters guest star from North of the Border, Lisa. I was lucky to get a dance - there was a hell of a queue, and Sheepman tried to steal her away mid dance ...

Rachel
23rd-June-2004, 04:35 PM
What a pleasure to dance with last night's Hipsters guest star from North of the Border, Lisa. I was lucky to get a dance - there was a hell of a queue, and Sheepman tried to steal her away mid dance ... Yes, it was brilliant to see Lisa again! Marc was absolutely delighted - I could barely catch him all night for a dance, and certainly never got hold of Rob or many others cos they were all in the queue for Lisa!!!
Rachel

Bardsey
23rd-June-2004, 05:10 PM
I believe Bardsey works there, so I expect everyone is a trifle incoherent. (He says, safe in the knowledge that Bardsey won't be looking in on this thread!)

Greg

Ha Haaaaa! That's where you're wrong, Mr Sheepman! Inchoretent? i dunt neu wet yeou meen?

under par
24th-June-2004, 01:39 AM
What a pleasure to dance with last night's Hipsters guest star from North of the Border, Lisa. I was lucky to get a dance - there was a hell of a queue, and Sheepman tried to steal her away mid dance ...Only managed one dance with Lisa :( :mad:

well worth the wait :kiss: :yeah:

Rachel
24th-June-2004, 10:56 AM
Only managed one dance with Lisa ... I'm so pleased you managed to squeeze in a dance with me, though - thanks!
Rachel

(think I'm in luvy luvy mood today ...)

under par
24th-June-2004, 11:11 AM
I'm so pleased you managed to squeeze in a dance with me, though - thanks!
Rachel

(think I'm in luvy luvy mood today ...)

I regret it was only one :sad: , you were being monopolised every time I looked for a second. There is always next time luvy :kiss: :hug:

Sheepman
24th-June-2004, 11:18 AM
i dunt neu wet yeou meen? No, I can't possibly decipher that!

and Sheepman tried to steal her away mid dance ...Well at least you managed to get a dance with Lisa, which I didn't, (despite a prior arrangement) :tears: Still I do know when she's coming back :whistle:
There were just so many fabulous dancers there last Tueday, and I spent most of the evening with just one of them :grin: :what: :tears: :confused:

Greg

Pammy
24th-June-2004, 12:45 PM
and I spent most of the evening with just one of them :grin: :what: :tears: :confused:

Must've been that hand of yours holding you back again :grin:

Rachel
24th-June-2004, 12:52 PM
Well at least you managed to get a dance with Lisa, which I didn't, (despite a prior arrangement) :tears: ...Greg Just thought you might like to know that Lisa turned down a dance with Marc (though they'd danced earlier) in order to find you for a dance. So at least you know she tried!
Rachel

Sheepman
24th-June-2004, 12:52 PM
and Sheepman tried to steal her away mid dance ...
Oh no it wasn't.
That should have read
and Sheepman tried to steal her away mid dance ... even silver members only get 15 minutes to edit their posts. Franck don't forget, I'm on dial up!

Greg

Sheepman
24th-June-2004, 12:56 PM
So at least you know she tried! Rachel Yes I know, and it was the last dance, but it was also the only dance I had with Mrs Sheepy that night :blush:

Greg

Rachel
24th-June-2004, 01:03 PM
Yes I know, and it was the last dance, but it was also the only dance I had with Mrs Sheepy that night :blush:

Greg Ooh you bad boy! But at least it was the last dance - that's the most important of the night IMO.

But anyway - who was the other lady you spent most of the night with, if not your wife???
Rachel

Sheepman
24th-June-2004, 02:34 PM
But anyway - who was the other lady you spent most of the night with, Careful, I did say evening not night :blush:
Anyway, to misquote an old saying, that was no lady, that was my dance partner. (For the Weston comp.)

Greg

Sheepman
29th-June-2004, 04:21 PM
It's been mentioned in another thread, but I thought I'd point out that there will be TV cameras at Hipster tonight. I missed the announcement about it, so have no idea what it's about (possibly Strictly Come Dancing?), but I do recall that we were asked to smarten up, this might have just been aimed at me, so I'll be keeping the sheep under cover tonight!

Greg

Sheepman
29th-June-2004, 04:45 PM
I understand tonight's filming is for a SCD spin-off programme, "Dance Mates", where they have teamed up as couples people from around the country, who applied to the BBC website. The "date" for tonight's couple is a class at Hipsters.
Yep, this brings it all back to me now.
I wonder if Nigel will be grincing tonight? :devil:

Greg

Andy McGregor
29th-June-2004, 04:51 PM
I think the programme is about a couple who go on a date to a dance class.

Lory
29th-June-2004, 05:06 PM
I wonder if Nigel will be grincing tonight? :devil:

Greg
I hope so! :D :rofl:

under par
30th-June-2004, 01:04 AM
Okay then who was there tonight? :eek:

What was it like with the BEEB there?

Did Nigel>>>>>>? :whistle:

Was there an element of dressing up for the cameras?

Was it a good evening dancing? Pray tell?

Mrs Par and I will be there for Amirs class on Wednesday. Been working tonight. :angry:

Lory
30th-June-2004, 12:45 PM
Okay then who was there tonight? :eek:
Nigel and Nina taught the class, a nice routine, with a couple of slinky moves thrown in for the cameras

What was it like with the BEEB there?
To be honest, I hardly noticed them. They filmed mainly from the stage. A very tall man, 35-40ish and lady, who was probably in her mids 40's were the 'couple' although they rotated during the lesson, I personally didn't dance with him, so I have no idea if he was any good!

Did Nigel>>>>>>? :whistle:
Not that I know of, He was there for the lesson and there again at the end, so maybe he WAS grincing but in private! :wink: :whistle:

Was there an element of dressing up for the cameras?
Yes some people made an effort, the Rythmn King and Foxylady looked very smart! :)

Was it a good evening dancing? Pray tell?
Well, I can only speak for my self and I had a great night, although not the best music set I've ever heard.

I think Sheepy noticed the music more that me though! :blush: I'll let him explain! :rofl:

Sheepman
30th-June-2004, 01:38 PM
I'll let him explain! :rofl: I also had a great night (but not quite as good as Tuesday last week). JB was having one of his occasional "70s soul" nights, which doesn't really do it for me to dance to. (Though in fact it was probably a maximum of 5 tracks, but they were all with people I REALLY wanted to dance with.)

I danced with all 3 of the "dance mates" during the lesson, the best MJ dancer amongst them was Coralie, the other 2 ladies seemed pretty nervous, their first time at Hipsters, and for at least one of them, her first time trying MJ. The cameras were very unobtrusive, though Mrs Sheepy hopes to have 10 seconds of fame, (on BBC3 :what: ) as she danced with the male "dance mate" in front of the camera.

"Dance mates" was apparently a spoof on "Blind Date".

Someone told me the programme will probably be screened tomorrow or Friday, I'll set the video, but with my recent record, I'll probably get the time/channel wrong. :sad: (Like I did again last night on trying to record the repeat of SCD with the "dance mates" bits.)

The oddest thing about the evening was the journey there, a tube strike, but no traffic! :really: It was like London had been deserted until I walked into Hipsters. Will it be jams everywhere tonight, especially with Tim playing in SW19?

Greg

Lory
30th-June-2004, 01:50 PM
I danced with all 3 of the "dance mates" during the lesson, the best MJ dancer amongst them was Coralie, the other 2 ladies seemed pretty nervous, their first time at Hipsters, and for at least one of them, her first time trying MJ. The cameras were very unobtrusive, though Mrs Sheepy hopes to have 10 seconds of fame, (on BBC3 :what: ) as she danced with the male "dance mate" in front of the camera.

GregHey, well that just goes to show how much I notice :rolleyes: I thought there were only 1 woman and 1 man! :rolleyes:

Greg, you appear to have forgotten ........ the 'EP' song? :rofl: or are u just keeping quiet and hoping the BBC didn't notice either? :na: :rofl:

Rhythm King
30th-June-2004, 02:12 PM
"Dance mates" was apparently a spoof on "Blind Date".

Someone told me the programme will probably be screened tomorrow or Friday, I'll set the video, but with my recent record, I'll probably get the time/channel wrong. :sad: (Like I did again last night on trying to record the repeat of SCD with the "dance mates" bits.)

The Beeb SCD website (ok sad I know, but I look at it :blush: ) says tonight's show will tell us how the Dance Mates got on

http://www.bbc.co.uk/strictlycomedancing/news/2004/06/30/12609.shtml

Sheepman
30th-June-2004, 03:14 PM
.... the 'EP' song? :rofl: or are u just keeping quiet and hoping the BBC didn't notice either? Oh, I didn't realise that's what you meant! It's not unusual for JB to play the EP song, but usually at the end of the evening, after the "sensitive" souls have gone. This time he played it right at the beginning, while the lights were still up for the cameras.
I was rather conscious of the fact that at the time I was dancing within sight of the cameras, with an extremely sexy 16 year old (well she's not 16, but that's how she looks) and a brilliant dancer, I did make a point of not singing along to the words :blush:

So will that track be the background to the BBC's programme tonight? NB it seems the prog is on TONIGHT, I hope I can get the video right this time!!

Greg

Sparkles
30th-June-2004, 03:34 PM
Thank you for the dances last night :grin: , glad I missed the EP song though (one time when I felt very fortunate not to have a partner!)

under par
30th-June-2004, 03:37 PM
"
The oddest thing about the evening was the journey there, a tube strike, but no traffic! :really: It was like London had been deserted until I walked into Hipsters. Will it be jams everywhere tonight, especially with Tim playing in SW19?

Greg

with the tube strike ongoing
Any update on how the traffic is in london today :whistle: as I hope to take Mrs Par to Ealing tonight if conditions are suitable. :yeah:

Rachel
30th-June-2004, 03:49 PM
...Was there an element of dressing up for the cameras? I can't believe the cheek of them telling people to 'dress up' specially for the occasion. What? As if our usual attire would be an embarrassment??? And some poeple actually did seem to have all their finery out ...

But seriously, I was impressed that the cameras were so unobtrusive. From my spot at the back, I never even noticed either the cameras or contestants. Which is good.
Rachel

Lory
30th-June-2004, 04:00 PM
So will that track be the background to the BBC's programme tonight? NB it seems the prog is on TONIGHT, I hope I can get the video right this time!!

Greg
From what I can tell it appears to be on three times tonight, 8-30pm, 11-30pm and again at 3-15am :) all on BBC3
So you have 3 chances of getting it right, Greg. :na:

Sheepman
30th-June-2004, 04:31 PM
Thank you for the dances last night :grin: , glad I missed the EP song though And thank you.
Re. that song, it's one you get hardened to after a few plays.

Greg

Sparkles
1st-July-2004, 12:01 AM
And thank you.

Greg

I guess I'll have to take your word for that... :wink:

Hey, does this mean I might get to dance with you again?

Sheepman
1st-July-2004, 12:53 PM
Hey, does this mean I might get to dance with you again? I sure hope so! :waycool:

ElaineB
1st-July-2004, 01:07 PM
And thank you.

Greg

Oooh, you are naughty............

The first time that I heard EP was at Walthamstow last year. I had just spotted the gorgeous Debster and told Simon that he really should dance with this amazing woman. Dragged him over and got him to ask Debster for a dance, which she accepted. I then howled with laughter when EP came on as their first track! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Elaine

under par
1st-July-2004, 01:12 PM
Oooh, you are naughty............

The first time that I heard EP was at Walthamstow last year. I had just spotted the gorgeous Debster and told Simon that he really should dance with this amazing woman. Dragged him over and got him to ask Debster for a dance, which she accepted. I then howled with laughter when EP came on as their first track! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Elaine

Up to my usual again! :confused:

"EP"??????????????? :confused:

I feel a DOH coming on but please enlighten me!!! :flower:

under par
1st-July-2004, 01:48 PM
Up to my usual again! :confused:

"EP"??????????????? :confused:

I feel a DOH coming on but please enlighten me!!! :flower:

I have received several pms that are to say the least forthright in there content.

I consider myself DOH ed :blush:

foxylady
1st-July-2004, 02:33 PM
Yes some people made an effort, the Rythmn King and Foxylady looked very smart! :)

:kiss: :hug: :flower: :flower:

I have to say that I was planning to wear that anyway - I hoped it might get me a few more dances than usual, and it had the opposite effect !!!! :tears:

However I did dance with the 'dance mates' guy (I also thought there was only one guy, one girl - and thought thats what Nigel has said ?!??!)... He was an absolutley FAB lindy hopper.. One of my best dances

.....and I watched SCD last night, and not a sign of dance mates anywhere....p'r'aps tonight ?

FL

under par
1st-July-2004, 02:45 PM
:kiss: :hug: :flower: :flower:

I have to say that I was planning to wear that anyway - I hoped it might get me a few more dances than usual, and it had the opposite effect !!!! :tears:

However I did dance with the 'dance mates' guy (I also thought there was only one guy, one girl - and thought thats what Nigel has said ?!??!)... He was an absolutley FAB lindy hopper.. One of my best dances

.....and I watched SCD last night, and not a sign of dance mates anywhere....p'r'aps tonight ?

FL

I watched the SCD at 2350 on BBC3. What aload of COMPLETE GARBAGE. :angry:

Who was that bearded buffoon and didnt he and the guest who dressed up as a Judge talk a load of C**P.

I've gotta say its the first time I've seen an episode that wasn't on a Saturday prime time slot and only to see how Hipsters was portrayed.

I just had to switch off when the judges wig went on . MADE ME SO ANGRY
:angry:

Sheepman
1st-July-2004, 02:47 PM
So you have 3 chances of getting it right, Greg. :na: Ahem, just to get back on track, yes I did get it right this time, but the BBC website got it wrong, last night's was a very tedious programme full of fluff, so I'll try again tonight.

Greg

RobC
1st-July-2004, 03:07 PM
I have received several pms that are to say the least forthright in there content.

I consider myself DOH ed :blush:
If anyone else doesn't know what we mean by the EP song, have a look here (http://www.davincisnotebook.com/sounds.asp), or the lyrics are here (http://www.silverblue.org/archives/002443.html) along with an mp3 download. :wink:

under par
2nd-July-2004, 02:15 AM
If anyone else doesn't know what we mean by the EP song, have a look here (http://www.davincisnotebook.com/sounds.asp), or the lyrics are here (http://www.silverblue.org/archives/002443.html) along with an mp3 download. :wink:

doh doh doh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :blush: :blush:

bigdjiver
2nd-July-2004, 12:24 PM
If anyone else doesn't know what we mean by the EP song, have a look here (http://www.davincisnotebook.com/sounds.asp), or the lyrics are here (http://www.silverblue.org/archives/002443.html) along with an mp3 download. :wink:I downloaded, and wandered around some associated sites, and found that I had picked up a Trojan (virus)
http://www.pandasoftware.com/virus_info/encyclopedia/ficha.aspx?iddeteccion=100849

it was stored in C:\recycled as 1.exe

the link given may be innocent.

anybody else?

Gadget
2nd-July-2004, 12:28 PM
the link given may be innocent.

anybody else?
Clicked on the lyrics - my system is clean. No warning or blocks either.

Andy McGregor
2nd-July-2004, 12:44 PM
I downloaded and my firewall and anti-virus stayed quiet, which is nice.

bigdjiver
2nd-July-2004, 04:25 PM
Thanks Gadget & Andy - sorry for the alarm

Divissima
3rd-July-2004, 02:58 AM
Just back from Hipsters Big Fat Friday - the first I've ever been to. I had a great time - met Sparkles! - and saw loads of other fab forum regulars. RobC - you are a dance genius :waycool:

RobC
3rd-July-2004, 03:14 AM
Just back from Hipsters Big Fat Friday - the first I've ever been to. I had a great time - met Sparkles! - and saw loads of other fab forum regulars. RobC - you are a dance genius :waycool:
Had some great dances with you too :hug:

Minnie M
3rd-July-2004, 10:40 AM
- you are a dance genius :waycool:
:yeah:
not a lot of people know that :worthy: IMO one of the most under-rated dancers on the MJ scene (note JiveMasters)

Jon Brett
3rd-July-2004, 12:54 PM
On the subject of my EP tune: I played it early last Tuesday cos the BBC cameras were on, hoping they'd go :eek: , but actually they asked me what it was called and said they'd download it later!

Interesting factlet? Nearly everyone who asks me what the track is called when I play it are girls, not blokes as, well, I would've expected - toilet humour and all that. However, the only time anyone's complained in the past about the record being 'offensive' was also a girl.

Sorry for the complaint about the "70's Soul Set" last Tuesday. Twas only a few tracks in the whole night (nearly 2 hours). Someone requested it & I thought it was a good idea. Seemed to go down well at the time, but obviously not with everyone...

I appreciate feedback, good & bad. Keep it coming. Thanks.

foxylady
3rd-July-2004, 12:55 PM
Just back from Hipsters Big Fat Friday - the first I've ever been to. I had a great time - met Sparkles! - and saw loads of other fab forum regulars.

Divi, did you know - Sparkles is another neighbour...

Andy McGregor
3rd-July-2004, 12:59 PM
not a lot of people know that :worthy: IMO one of the most under-rated dancers on the MJ scene (note JiveMasters)

Not by me, I think he's FAB.

If I was a woman I'd ask him on a date:hint:

Andy McGregor
3rd-July-2004, 01:02 PM
Sorry for the complaint about the "70's Soul Set" last Tuesday. Twas only a few tracks in the whole night (nearly 2 hours). Someone requested it & I thought it was a good idea. Seemed to go down well at the time, but obviously not with everyone....

Speaking personally I really enjoy dancing to the odd '70s soul track - but then I was there...

..how long has the bit on the left show our age? I've only just noticed:tears:

Divissima
5th-July-2004, 09:29 AM
Divi, did you know - Sparkles is another neighbour...Hi Foxy!
I didn't know - until Eddie offered me a lift home and we dropped Sparkles off along the way! Our own norf London set :waycool:

Sparkles
5th-July-2004, 09:38 AM
Hi Foxy!
I didn't know - until Eddie offered me a lift home and we dropped Sparkles off along the way! Our own norf London set :waycool:

Look out world - we're now moving in packs! :eek:

Divi, have to say you are an amazing dancer :worthy: ... maybe you could teach me some time??? And where did you get your red trousers?!-they're fab!

Chris A, please can I dance with you again some time? :flower: :blush:

...And how can anyone not know that Rob C is a dancing genius?

latinlover
5th-July-2004, 01:12 PM
Divi, have to say you are an amazing dancer :worthy: :yeah:
more please , it's always a delight to dance with you!! and bless you for condescending to my humble level every now and then:flower:

Sheepman
5th-July-2004, 02:26 PM
...And how can anyone not know that Rob C is a dancing genius? 'cos he's never asked me to dance :sad: :wink:

Greg

Sparkles
5th-July-2004, 02:36 PM
'cos he's never asked me to dance :sad: :wink:

Greg

You should ask him next time you see him - I've a feeling it'd be mutually beneficial! :wink:

RobC
5th-July-2004, 02:38 PM
'cos he's never asked me to dance :sad: :wink:

Greg
I'm sorry if I've neglected you :o - perhaps you, me and AndyMcG should enter Bristol together ??? :whistle:

Andy McGregor
5th-July-2004, 02:47 PM
I'm sorry if I've neglected you :o - perhaps you, me and AndyMcG should enter Bristol together ??? :whistle:

What shall we wear?:devil:

RobC
5th-July-2004, 02:59 PM
What shall we wear?:devil:
Well at least you are suggesting that we wear something.... the last suggestion you had was sumo-wrestlers 'nappies' :sick: - didn't take Trampy and me long to tell you where to stick that idea :rofl:

TheTramp
5th-July-2004, 03:05 PM
Probably to the eternal gratitude of EVERYONE watching, eh Rob! :wink:

Trampy

RobC
5th-July-2004, 03:10 PM
Probably to the eternal gratitude of EVERYONE watching, eh Rob! :wink:

Trampy

RobC
5th-July-2004, 03:11 PM
Woohooo, just notice that I'm now a 'Senior Member' :D

Andy McGregor
5th-July-2004, 03:27 PM
Woohooo, just noticed that I'm now a 'Senior Member' :D

You may be Senior but you've got a long way to go 'til you're an "Old Git" like me and Sheepster :cool:

Sheepman
5th-July-2004, 05:20 PM
perhaps you, me and AndyMcG should enter Bristol together ??? :whistle: Oh no what have I started :blush:
I'm afraid I'll have to pass on that one. I promised my partner (and myself!)that I would be all hers! Maybe I'll even have some time to watch the other competitors this time!!

Interesting that Andy's first question is "what shall we wear?" :rofl:

greg

Andy McGregor
5th-July-2004, 05:52 PM
Interesting that Andy's first question is "what shall we wear?" :rofl:

greg

You mean that isn't everyone's first question:confused:

LilyB
5th-July-2004, 11:52 PM
.... and bless you for condescending to my humble level every now and then:flower: Humble is not the word! Get yourself out of that gutter Mr Latinlover :angry: - you are a FAB dancer :drool: :yum: :waycool: I consider myself lucky if I get ONE dance out of you each time; you are waaaay too popular with the other ladies & of course Mrs Latinlover. :tears:

LilyB

Divissima
6th-July-2004, 11:16 AM
Quite so, Lily. Well said. Mr Latin Lover, you are a fantastic dancer :hug:

Lory
6th-July-2004, 12:20 PM
Quite so, Lily. Well said. Mr Latin Lover, you are a fantastic dancer :hug:
Who are you Latinlover?? Identify yourself! :devil: :flower: