PDA

View Full Version : The Monkey Walk

xSalsa_Angelx
24th-February-2004, 10:05 AM
Has anyone heard of the Monkey Walk?? What’s that?? Andy gave me a Ceroc Mind Map with moves on it, and it has the Monkey Walk on it.

Is this a move when both partners jump up and down like a monkey?? LOL only joking. :rofl:

If I am right is this move not when the man holds the lady with both hands facing the opposite way, and the lady does that open footwork thing.? :confused:

spindr
24th-February-2004, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by xSalsa_Angelx
Has anyone heard of the Monkey Walk?? What’s that?? Andy gave me a Ceroc Mind Map with moves on it, and it has the Monkey Walk on it.

If I am right is this move not when the man holds the lady with both hands facing the opposite way, and the lady does that open footwork thing.? :confused:

I always thought the monkey walk was:
both partners close side by side, both face same direction, lady on man's right (for sake of argument). Man holds lady's right waist with his right hand. [Say like a sway position]

1). Man steps to the right on his right foot, across the lady -- as she steps to the right on her right foot.
2). Lady steps to the left on her left foot, across the man -- as he steps to the left on his left foot.
Go back to 1). or do a sort of open first move exit.

There's a definite "pantomime cow" feel to the move -- you can lead/follow this a bit using a hip-to-hip connection pushing each other to the right/left.

SpinDr.

Divissima
24th-February-2004, 12:10 PM
Oh, I see - like on the Monkees....
Used to love that show :blush:

xSalsa_Angelx
24th-February-2004, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by spindr
I always thought the monkey walk was:
both partners close side by side, both face same direction, lady on man's right (for sake of argument). Man holds lady's right waist with his right hand. [Say like a sway position]

1). Man steps to the right on his right foot, across the lady -- as she steps to the right on her right foot.
2). Lady steps to the left on her left foot, across the man -- as he steps to the left on his left foot.
Go back to 1). or do a sort of open first move exit.

There's a definite "pantomime cow" feel to the move -- you can lead/follow this a bit using a hip-to-hip connection pushing each other to the right/left.

SpinDr.

AH Thanks think that makes sense .... strange name for a move though LOL

Aleks
24th-February-2004, 12:52 PM
AH Thanks think that makes sense .... strange name for a move though LOL

See Divissima's post....did you never see them as a kid on BBC2?

foxylady
24th-February-2004, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by Divissima
Oh, I see - like on the Monkees....
Used to love that show :blush:

You're not old enough for that show surely !!:flower:

xSalsa_Angelx
24th-February-2004, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by Aleks
See Divissima's post....did you never see them as a kid on BBC2?

Nope .... maybe am not old enough :tears:

Used to remember that programme where there were two monkees called Top off the monkey and bottom off the monkey

is that the same one???

spindr
24th-February-2004, 01:13 PM
The Monkees were the "pre-fab" four.

Think of a 1960's stag version of S-Club; a synthetic pop-group with a spin off tv-series.

http://www.monkees.net/

SpinDr.

Lory
24th-February-2004, 01:18 PM
Here we come, walkin'
Down the street.
We get the funniest looks from
Ev'ry one we meet.
Hey, hey, we're the Monkees
And people say we monkey around.
But we're too busy singing
To put anybody down.

We go wherever we want to,
do what we like to do
We don't have time to get restless,
There's always something new.
To put anybody down.

We're just tryin' to be friendly,
Come and watch us sing and play,
We're the young gneration,
And we've got something to say.

Any time, Or anywhere,
Just look over your shoulder
Guess who'll be standing there

To put anybody down.

(break)

To put anybody down.

[repeat and fade]

extra verse:

Hey, hey, we're the Monkees,
You never know where we'll be found.
so you'd better get ready,
We may be comin' to your town.

Bill
24th-February-2004, 01:39 PM
Used to love watching the series and almost bought a Monkees shirt. Some great songs written for them and the episodes were always fun :D

xSalsa_Angelx
24th-February-2004, 02:41 PM
So which programme am I thinking about then?

Was that Pipkins or something??

2 monkeys that sat on a book shelf

Bill
24th-February-2004, 04:37 PM

Must have long after I stopped watching childrens TV :whistle: :D

Lynn
24th-February-2004, 05:33 PM

Hey - Pipkins Workshop wasn't it? Don't remember the monkeys in it but then have only vague recollections.

Were The Monkees not shown as reruns as well at some stage?

xSalsa_Angelx
24th-February-2004, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by Lynn
Hey - Pipkins Workshop wasn't it? Don't remember the monkeys in it but then have only vague recollections.

I cant really remember much about that programme as I was only 3 when it was on LOL

Maybe it was just my Dad that was winding me up about the monkeys :tears:

He bought me a stuffed monkey and said it was called Topoff the Monkey, I still take it to bed ,...LOL

Lynn
24th-February-2004, 06:32 PM
I cant really remember much about that programme as I was only 3 when it was on LOL

Maybe it was just my Dad that was winding me up about the monkeys :tears:

He bought me a stuffed monkey and said it was called Topoff the Monkey, I still take it to bed ,...LOL

That sounds familiar - and there was Hartley Hare as well wasn't there? Can't remember too much about it myself - I think I was preschool then too.. but I do remember The Monkees so must have been reruns (Should that be called The Monkee Walk? Maybe not as derivative rather than exactly the same).

Bill
24th-February-2004, 10:52 PM

The MOnkees were shown for years after they actually split up.

weren't they around at the same time as the Banana Bunch :D

Mary
25th-February-2004, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by Bill
The MOnkees were shown for years after they actually split up.

:rofl: :rofl: - took me a moment or 2 to get it tho' - too busy singing the song in my head.:wink:

M

Bill
25th-February-2004, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by Mary
:rofl: :rofl: - took me a moment or 2 to get it tho' - too busy singing the song in my head.:wink:

M

1 banana, 2 bananas, 3 bananas 4.................. time they started re-runs of them as well then.. :D

Aleks
25th-February-2004, 12:50 PM

I loved the cartoons they had on Banana Split!
My friend's parents loved it - gave them a chance to lie in on a Sat morning while were were glued to the TV.

Stuart M
25th-February-2004, 12:56 PM
It was the Banana Splits, not Bunch. Fleegle, Bingo, Drooper and Snorky IIRC (wish there was a way you could dump useless info from your brain - I could free up so much space :D ). Top quality Saturday morning entertainment. I need to dig out my "Themes from the Hanna Barbera Cartoons" CD now - Flintstones, The Na na Song and my all-time favourite - Hong Kong Phooey. Panrific!

Mary
25th-February-2004, 12:59 PM
1 banana, 2 bananas, 3 bananas 4.................. .. :D

.....4 bananas make a bunch, and so do many more" Wow, I've just been catapulted back in time. My best friends were twins and I used to have "sleepovers" at their house and we used to watch Banana Splits - they had a delightfully mad, zany sense of humour.

Coincidentally, my best friend now is a twin, and both he and his twin brother work in the Social Services! They are both mad as well!:what:

M

Rachel
25th-February-2004, 01:43 PM
You mean there are people on this forum too young to remember The Monkees??? Honestly, shouldn't be allowed ...!!

About the move, though - does anyone else think that it's the worst move ever ever EVER? Horrible! Does anyone ctually do it? Like it? Has anyone ever seen it done stylishly?
Rachel

Martin
25th-February-2004, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by Lory
Here we come, walkin'
Down the street.
We get the funniest looks from
Ev'ry one we meet.
To put anybody down.

We go wherever we want to,
do what we like to do
We don't have time to get restless,
There's always something new.
To put anybody down.

Any time, Or anywhere,
Just look over your shoulder
Guess who'll be standing there

To put anybody down.

(break)

To put anybody down.

[repeat and fade]

extra verse:

Hey, hey, we're the Monkees,
You never know where we'll be found.
so you'd better get ready,
We may be comin' to your town.

Fantastic, kept me amused as a kid

So what were the names?

Davey (the cute one)
Who were the other 3?

Martin
25th-February-2004, 03:12 PM
was there a Mickey and Titch?

Lynn
25th-February-2004, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by Martin
was there a Mickey and Titch?
Are you thinking of Dave Dee, Dosy, Beaky, Mick & Titch?

(No - I don't remember them - but have heard of them! Think they were here on tour last year.)

Martin
25th-February-2004, 03:42 PM

(No - I don't remember them - but have heard of them! Think they were here on tour last year.)
So there were five!

Did think of Dosy, but thought my brain was getting mixed up with the 7 dwarfs

Never did figure how 7up refered to a drink and not to Snow White's fantacies...:wink:

Bill
25th-February-2004, 04:49 PM
[B

Coincidentally, my best friend now is a twin, and both he and his twin brother work in the Social Services! They are both mad as well!:what:

M [/B]

My sister and I are twins :D .......at least that's what we've been told :whistle: apart from me being about 8 inches taller than her, very different colouring and personalities.......we could almost be related :D She's the mad one I think.

Bill
25th-February-2004, 04:55 PM

Remember them from way back as well............. :what: :sick: didn't they have a single called Xanadu (sp) amongst others ??

The Monkees were Peter Tork, Pete Nesmith ( who went on to be a highly regarded musician), Davey and Micky Dolenz who went to produce TV programmes I think. Think I'm right but maybe the brain is playing tricks................... or could be all the snow falling up here :rolleyes:

Bill
25th-February-2004, 04:56 PM
Remember them from way back as well............. :what: :sick: didn't they have a single called Xanadu (sp) amongst others ??

The Monkees were Peter Tork, Pete Nesmith ( who went on to be a highly regarded musician), Davey and Micky Dolenz who went to produce TV programmes I think. Think I'm right but maybe the brain is playing tricks................... or could be all the snow falling up here :rolleyes:

should have been Mike Nesmith..........before I'm reminded :whistle: :D

Martin
25th-February-2004, 04:58 PM

So it is 4?:grin:

Thought I was going mad?

Lynn
25th-February-2004, 05:09 PM
...and Micky Dolenz who went to produce TV programmes I think. Yeah, it was Mickey the Metal Robot wasn't it? Ironic...

...So it is 4?

Thought I was going mad? It was four in The Monkees, but I thought you were remembering another band - the one I referred to with Mick & Titch.

Of course I could be wrong... all before my time! :nice:

Bill
25th-February-2004, 05:22 PM
weren't you still thinking of the Banana Splits ????

And yep........5 in DD, D,B,M and T........... :grin: :na:

xSalsa_Angelx
25th-February-2004, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by Rachel
You mean there are people on this forum too young to remember The Monkees??? Honestly, shouldn't be allowed ...!!

About the move, though - does anyone else think that it's the worst move ever ever EVER? Horrible! Does anyone ctually do it? Like it? Has anyone ever seen it done stylishly?
Rachel

Yeah back to the move, I am interested to hear this too Rachel.

Tut tut ..... I start a nice sensible thread, instead of talking crap and it gets obliterated again :tears: :D

Mary
25th-February-2004, 09:11 PM

Tut tut ..... I start a nice sensible thread, instead of talking crap and it gets obliterated again :tears: :D

So what's new?:wink:

I still have an album by Mike Nesmith (post-Monkees). Yes, he was the only musician of the the band.

M

xSalsa_Angelx
25th-February-2004, 09:20 PM
So what's new?:wink:
M

Nothing really ...LOL

Nice meeting you at BB btw :D

Yogi_Bear
25th-February-2004, 10:00 PM

What is the monkey walk ayway? Is it anything like the Ceroc move called a first move penguin walk? (Why anyone would like to dance like a penguin - or even a monkey - walks is beyond me).

Gary
25th-February-2004, 11:59 PM
Originally posted by Rachel

Well I've recently worked out how to lead a Monkee walk, so I've been throwing it in occasionally (to make sure it still works). I kinda like the feel of it, so long as it fits the music. I have no idea if I'm doing it stylishly (but I guess sadly not).

fruitcake
26th-February-2004, 12:32 AM
Originally posted by Gary
Well I've recently worked out how to lead a Monkee walk, so I've been throwing it in occasionally (to make sure it still works). I kinda like the feel of it, so long as it fits the music. I have no idea if I'm doing it stylishly (but I guess sadly not).

We did something like the monkee walk in one of our intermediates i'm sure, though probably is called something fancy, but personally , I think it is done best at a party, when there are at least 4 of you doin it together, and three of you are very tiddly-and you've defintly gotta sing the song loudly, karaoke style, whilst doing it.
Any chance of gettin it played at the beach dya reckon?

xSalsa_Angelx
26th-February-2004, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by Yogi_Bear
What is the monkey walk ayway? Is it anything like the Ceroc move called a first move penguin walk? (Why anyone would like to dance like a penguin - or even a monkey - walks is beyond me).

Hmmmmm .. Me too thinks they sound weird.

Another move that I came across is the Zipper?? what's that when its at home?

Is this when the man leads a move by pulling down his fly? :innocent:

spindr
26th-February-2004, 02:28 PM
The Zipper;
========

Man facing lady -- double-crossed-handhold with say left hands over right. Man leads lady to turn clockwise 90 degrees taking the left hands over her head -- as he turns 90 degrees anti-clockwise taking the right hands over his head.

Man and lady are facing opposite directions, lady is on the man's left side.
Left-to-left Hands are at about shoulder height and right-to-right hands are about shoulder height. Man leads lady to step from his left side to his right side by pulling the lady's right hand with his right hand -- as he steps to his left and releases the lady's left hand from his left hand.

Man and lady are facing opposite directions, lady is on the man's right side. Right-to-right Hands are at about shoulder height. Man leads lady to exit via say a 630 degree anti-clockwise freespin -- as he rotates 90 degrees clockwise and releases the lady's right hand from his right hand.

Catch.

Step back.

.................................................. ..........

Always feels pretty fast to me -- you can replace the freespin exit with wraps, etc., etc.

The mirrored version is also possible starting right hands over left, etc., etc.

Suitable music "Velcro Fly" ZZ-Top ??

.................................................. ..........

However, I'm interested in the penguin walk --- can anyone describe that????

SpinDr.

Martin
26th-February-2004, 02:33 PM

Another move that I came across is the Zipper?? what's that when its at home?

Is this when the man leads a move by pulling down his fly? :innocent:

So funny :rofl:

Maybe it could be included in the next X-rated workshop in Sydney.

Could also be one for Mikeys classes? :blush:

xSalsa_Angelx
26th-February-2004, 02:42 PM
So funny :rofl:

Maybe it could be included in the next X-rated workshop in Sydney.

Could also be one for Mikeys classes? :blush:

LOL .... And what would be a suitable name for it? :rofl:

I aint getting started in this again, after the last one with Bill ...... too many naughty thoughts now, floating around me heed :rofl:

Martin
26th-February-2004, 02:53 PM
LOL .... And what would be a suitable name for it? :rofl:

I aint getting started in this again, after the last one with Bill ...... too many naughty thoughts now, floating around me heed :rofl:

Could be helpful when dancing with 3 girls at once :blush: :rofl:

Bill
26th-February-2004, 04:53 PM
Could be helpful when dancing with 3 girls at once :blush: :rofl:

now that would be greedy........................ I've always found two is more than enough. Two hands but only one zip............. and no doubt angel will think of some smutty reply....:na: :whistle:

Lory
26th-February-2004, 05:02 PM
now that would be greedy........................ I've always found two is more than enough. Two hands but only one zip.............
See if you can get Mikey to descibe a certain one of the moves from his 'Menage a Trios' class at Bognor, I think you'll find he may have already covered this one! :eek:

Martin
26th-February-2004, 05:04 PM
now that would be greedy........................ I've always found two is more than enough. Two hands but only one zip............. and no doubt angel will think of some smutty reply....:na: :whistle:

Bill, time to thnk "outside of the square" :clap:

angel - so worried about the reply, but looking forward to it...:drool:

xSalsa_Angelx
26th-February-2004, 09:44 PM

I did think of some names for the move earlier, but too naughty :na:

Well I could offer a spare hand :wink:

Lorna
15th-March-2004, 09:06 PM
Hi SA,

Fruitcake is right. I taught it a long time ago on a Tuesday night. It was after one of Adam's workshops in Aberdeen. As far as I know it isn't a ceroc move, I may be wrong! (I haven't been to an update for a while). It requires a lot of style but the actual steps are easy.

Catch me on Tuesday and I'll explain. Failing that I'll be on again next Thursday. You really need to see it to understand. And of course have the right music.

Lotsa love lorna x-x

fruitcake
16th-March-2004, 02:58 PM
Has it got a name Lorna,we could adopt it, we could name it....let me see.....monkey walk??!!!:cheers:

Lorna
18th-March-2004, 09:20 PM
:confused:

Lotsa love Lorna x-x