PDA

View Full Version : "Club" Competitions

Chicklet
23rd-February-2004, 11:02 AM
Club competitions in lead up to Blackpool?

ie A Glasgow comp, a Dundee Comp etc.
Held one Friday or Saturday night?

Yes? No?

Open? Closed (how?)

Discuss.........

Bill
23rd-February-2004, 06:21 PM
MMMMmmmmmm.............wonder if that would be a good idea. :what: :confused:

Could be good in as much as it would help dancers to 'perform' in a more relaxed arena ( maybe !) and try out moves. Bad idea perhaps in that it could encourage even more of a competition mentality amongst dancers.

Would there be enough people willing to compete ? In Aberdeen there are only a handful of competitiors and to make it more than a club comp could start to make it more like the Scotish comp.

Would the teachers then judge or make it a Jive masters style and let the audience ?? What it would be good for is to try out a cabaret - which some teams do anyway on a freestyle night. And some dancers don't want to reveal their moves/costumes etc before the big day.

Reckon I didn't answer the question though eh....... :na: :whistle:

John S
24th-February-2004, 02:52 PM
Personally, not for me - I don't mind too much failing to get past the first round at major events like Blackpool or Musselburgh, but to fail every month as well at the local venue would be too much to cope with!

Seriously, let's keep competitions few and far between - that way they're special and can be ignored by people who aren't interested - otherwise they would dominate the scene, which should (IMO) be about fun and enjoyment.

Anyway. as there is no objective way of measuring who dances "best" (whatever that means) everyone is entitled to his/her own ideas and it can all become divisive. If you don't believe me, watch out for the post=Blackpool threads on "Blind, Bribed and Biassed Judges".
:cheers:

Gadget
24th-February-2004, 04:07 PM
I sugested this in another thread a while ago and was shot down: I still think that perhaps once a year one of the partys at the local event could be turned into something more 'competition' like - Perhaps not a "proper" competition, but a chance for a few local people to strut their stuff and be centre stage.

I would think that DWAS would be the best format since it requires no preperation or hunting down a partner and practicing with them etc. All the dancer needs to do is turn up.

Since I would expect the numbers actually "competing" to be quite low, perhaps the scoring could be done by the dancers themselves?... naa too much work. I think the teacher(s) should come up with the places.

Chris
24th-February-2004, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by John S
Seriously, let's keep competitions few and far between - that way they're special and can be ignored by people who aren't interested - otherwise they would dominate the scene, which should (IMO) be about fun and enjoyment.

Originally posted by Gadget
I would think that DWAS would be the best format since it requires no preperation or hunting down a partner and practicing with them etc.
Boogie Nights seemed to have found a good option recently IMO (though I didn't go). They had a DWAS as part of the special ball with the visiting top teacher (Amir) doing the judging. One of the reasons I didn't go was I thought there would consequently be a lack of freestyle (and at a premium price) and the other was that I was just tired that night, but it sounded like a good experiment, as a one-off (or occasional) thing.

I notice that many of the people who went to great lengths to proclaim how they did competitions 'just for fun' are among the most serious - carefully practicing on freestyle nights and non-rotating at workshops. John echoes my own viewpoint at the moment much more closely - the 'fun' part is freestyle - competitions are a different kind of 'fun'.

Chris
24th-February-2004, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by Gadget
I still think that perhaps once a year one of the partys at the local event could be turned into something more 'competition' like - Perhaps not a "proper" competition, but a chance for a few local people to strut their stuff and be centre stage.
Strutting your stuff in front of an audience is a good experience and a 'hurdle' for anyone planning to do competition. There was a less 'competitive' version at some of Andy and Rena's workshops I went to: at the end of the day each fixed couple was invited to dance a dance (one couple at a time on the floor) for everyone else to watch and enjoy/appreciate. It was entirely optional, but a nice opportunity - both to 'strut your stuff' and also to watch and savour friends and others being centre stage, with no-one else on the dance floor.