PDA

View Full Version : flashing

Missy D
22nd-February-2004, 11:19 AM
Does anyone know why my computer and arrow thing keeps on flickering and flashing. Do I need a new computer or is it because I am not on broadband. Sometimes i type away and when i look half the words are not there. Anyone please give me some advice before i have computer rage:confused:

DavidY
22nd-February-2004, 01:06 PM
Hi Missy D,

Difficult to tell without knowing a bit more about what's happening. :blush:

My guess is that broadband wouldn't make any difference though. Many people (including me) use this forum without broadband with no problems except it's a bit slower.

A few questions which may help to pinpoint :
* Can you tell us exactly what's flickering & flashing?
* What sort of computer are you using?
* Is this something you only get with this forum,
or does it happen to other websites
or does it happen when you use other things on your computer (like Word)
* Do you use anti-virus software (and do you keep it up to date)?

David

Gadget
23rd-February-2004, 10:01 AM
As a guess, I would say that you aren't giving the web pages a chance to fully load before typeing; the box pops up to type stuff into, you click on it and start typeing. Then the computer takes the "focus" away from that box in order to look at some graphics it needs to load. Then returns you to the box once it's loaded it. (It returns you to the box area, not the actual text area within the box). If it then has to load other graphics it does the same again. This can cause the flickering as the mouse icon changes between hourglass, pointer and 'I beam'.
It would also explain why what you type does not appear - you need to be within the text area before your key-strokes translate to text.

Missy D
23rd-February-2004, 06:35 PM
ok thank you for the advice - i will have to try and be a little more patient with my computer. Been so used to the quick ones in the internet cafes.:)