PDA

View Full Version : outsourcing

Paul F
14th-February-2004, 02:36 PM
Does anyone feel as though they would choose the services of one company over another depending on whether they outsource jobs to other countries??

I have just telephoned 3 to verify my account cancellation and it was a call centre in India.
This is happening more and more these days that these jobs are being moved outside the uk.

Would this sway anyone against a company?

azande
14th-February-2004, 04:47 PM
Companies sell their products all over the world. Why shouldn't they employ people all over the world? Don't people in India deserve to work?

What about foreign companies that employ British workers? Should they lay them all off and move the jobs back to their own countries? I know the company I work for would have to lay off thousands of people in Britain and Europe and the Far East if it was decreed that companies shouldn't hire people in other countries.

It goes both ways - if you expect other countries to send you money for your goods, you should do the same for theirs - and that includes labour.

Paul F
14th-February-2004, 05:20 PM
Whether people have a right to work or not is not the issue here.

I personally dont have a problem with it but I know there is strong feeling in certain parts that this is happeing

The company I used to work for were considering moving their IT dept. to a different country which caused uproar from the people in that department.

I had to laugh, a friend of mine was telling me about a time when he phoned Orange to ask about his phone. It was a new phone and when he rang he was told "sorry, i dont really know about that as that phone isnt out here yet" :grin:

Sounds a little silly to me.

Dreadful Scathe
14th-February-2004, 06:27 PM
I have no problem with work going abroad, but in this day and age the structure should also be put in place to provide the best customer service. Fluent speakers of the language and excellent product/service knowledge for a start !

Jon
16th-February-2004, 07:50 PM
There was a tv programme on a few months ago and the amount of training these people in India get is scary. I'm not against outsourcing as long as the service provided is of the same or better quality. But what tends to happen when things get outsourced is a drop in standards and or response times. But it's cheeper. Really depends what a company wants I supose.

Trouble is there are only so many skilled workers in India that at some point out demand must outweigh capacity.

Emma
16th-February-2004, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by Jon
Trouble is there are only so many skilled workers in India that at some point out demand must outweigh capacity. Ain't that why they get a 'scary' amount of training? Training=skilled....no? :devil: :nice: