PDA

View Full Version : Who are the best dancers?

sergio
13th-February-2004, 09:39 PM
i'd be interested to find out who the best dancers are?

Different sections if req ie;Best at:
1 Slow music
2 Fast music
3 Pop
3 Latin
4 Swing
Both female and male pls.

Dreadful Scathe
13th-February-2004, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by sergio
i'd be interested to find out who the best dancers are?

Different sections if req ie;Best at:
1 Slow music
2 Fast music
3 Pop
3 Latin
4 Swing
Both female and male pls.

I'm the best at Number 5 in your list :D

sergio
14th-February-2004, 02:36 PM
That makes you the best at nothing.

Dreadful Scathe
14th-February-2004, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by sergio
That makes you the best at nothing.

well spotted, cant get anything past you can i :)

Graham
14th-February-2004, 03:51 PM
Kind of a subjective decision really: beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Does it matter who others think are the best dancers? Surely who you think are the best dancers is the most important thing. It's like asking for the best composer or the best artist. There might be widespread agreement that someone is good, or great, or dreadful, but how do you determine who is best?

Diane
14th-February-2004, 08:26 PM
The best dancers are they who; enjoy their dancing, engage with their partner, are not rough or hold on too tightly, lead or follow well, dance to the beat. And many other things which I'm sure ohters will post here.:flower:

Graham W
16th-February-2004, 01:29 AM
..Slow & fast a bit meaningless - they arent genres ...Pop - too subjective..

Swing, maybe Rena - cos of her enthusiasm, partly
Latin - in jive? - Amir

Go to Hipsters 2 c..

& Bossa Nova? - Ethel James .. :-)

Bigger Andy
16th-February-2004, 01:51 PM
I reckon that 'Nigel and Nina' are about the best dancers around.
They are particularly good at the Blues.

I have seen them teach at 'Jive Spree' weekends down at Camber and have attended a workshop that they did at 'Jive Hive' in Canterbury, Kent. They have a sense of humour and a really good raport with each other and that comes through in their dancing. It also helps when they are teaching a workshop.

Try and get to see them some time. :)

Sheepman
16th-February-2004, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by Diane
The best dancers are they who; enjoy their dancing, engage with their partner, :yeah:
I would just add - and listen to the music.

Greg

Bill
16th-February-2004, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by Bigger Andy

Try and get to see them some time. :)

I think most regulars on the forum already have...... :D :na: and if they haven't .......then why not :confused: :what:

Lory
16th-February-2004, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by Bigger Andy

I think I might have to agree with you there. obviously, it's been said before, its all down to personal preference, I happen to love their relaxed, flowing, unaffected, natural, style, It all seems so effortless. :waycool: :waycool: :waycool:

But there again my pet hate IS what I call, ballroom style jive, false fixed smiles, jerky head and hand movements all over exagerated! IT'S SHOWTIME!:rolleyes: and I'm NOT naming names! but i've stood next to people who think they're awesome! It's just not what does it for me!:cheers:

Bill
16th-February-2004, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by Lory
I think I might have to agree with you there. obviously, it's been said before, its all down to personal preference, I happen to love their relaxed, flowing, unaffected, natural, style, It all seems so effortless. :waycool: :waycool: :waycool:

But there again my pet hate IS what I call, ballroom style jive, false fixed smiles, jerky head and hand movements all over exagerated! IT'S SHOWTIME!:rolleyes: and I'm NOT naming names! but i've stood next to people who think they're awesome! It's just not what does it for me!:cheers:

Absolutely agree Lory................. seen some 'great' exampls of that and it looks so affected whereas some dancers just have a lovely relaxed and natural smiley appearance. Always loved N&N and looking forward to learning more from them at BB in August.

Katie
17th-February-2004, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by Lory

Are you referring to those dancers at a dance night?
Some dancers revert to the ballroom style jive for competitions. Perhaps, the bigger the hand movements, the greater likelihood of more attention. ( i guess :confused: )

I would say that i may have a ballroom style jive, only because i did ballroom for 6 years previous. We were taught to have big hand movements, false smiles etc and habits are hard to break! Although now, i am often told to smile more....:(

False fixed smiles do annoy me too, but if i had to choose between watching those with false smiles and no smiling at all, i would certainly prefer the former. The eye tends to be drawn to those who smile.

Sheepman
18th-February-2004, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by Katie
i am often told to smile more....:( I find it hard to believe that would be possible!

I'm sure the false smiling thing has been discussed at length on another thread. Of course for performance, the smile is obligatory, but in social dances, if the woman really isn't enjoying it, I'd like to have some inkling of that, so I can change what I do. (Like maybe find another partner who will enjoy it! :really: )

Greg

Lory
18th-February-2004, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by Katie
Are you referring to those dancers at a dance night?

Both really but on a normal dance night especially. I think it's that 'superior' look I hate the most!

I would say that I may have a ballroom style jive, only because i did ballroom for 6 years previous. We were taught to have big hand movements, false smiles etc and habits are hard to break! Although now, i am often told to smile more....:(

No, your definitely NOT an example of what I mean, you have a lovely smooth style and I think anyone can tell when your enjoying a good dance, its written all over your face and NOT in a false way!:hug:

False fixed smiles do annoy me too, but if i had to choose between watching those with false smiles and no smiling at all, i would certainly prefer the former. The eye tends to be drawn to those who smile.
I can't tell the difference, both are expression and emotionless and equally YUKK to look at!:rolleyes:

Graham W
23rd-February-2004, 06:38 PM
No, you are definitely not the fixed ballroom style..!
& agree about the smile - better to have chessy grin then scowl
if music suits..

G