PDA

View Full Version : Isoform

Jayne
12th-February-2004, 01:05 PM
Can anyone out there define "isoform" for me please?

Cheers.
J :nice:

spindr
12th-February-2004, 01:19 PM
Hmmm, context? Maybe a google search might help?

Guessing something like "same shape" : "iso" -- same, "form" -- shape???

[c.f. isomer (sp?), isobar, ...]

SpinDr.

ChrisA
12th-February-2004, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by Jayne
Guessing your context,

"A protein having the same function and similar (or identical sequence), but the product of a different gene and usually) tissue specific. Rather stronger in implication than homologous."

From CancerWEB's On-line Medical Dictionary... I found it at

www.dictionary.com (http://www.dictionary.com)

Chris

Chicklet
12th-February-2004, 01:20 PM
it's a brand name for a one cup bra, something along the lines of Billy Connelly's big slipper, only not quite.:D

David Franklin
12th-February-2004, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by Jayne

Cheers.
J :nice:
CancerWEB's On-line Medical Dictionary gives the following:

isoform
<biochemistry> A protein having the same function and similar (or identical sequence), but the product of a different gene and usually) tissue specific. Rather stronger in implication than homologous.

(15 Oct 1997)Some more searching gave me the identical (word for word) answer from other sites.

I don't know if you were asking because you don't know, or you wanted to know what a layperson would guess it meant. My guess would have been something that has the same form as something else, even though the underlying content was different. For example (loosely), 5 and S might be isoforms...

Dave

ChrisA
12th-February-2004, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by Chicklet
it's a brand name for a one cup bra
Ok. So what's the point of that?

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Steven
12th-February-2004, 01:49 PM
A chemical definition would be that you can have various isoforms of a compound through different spatial arrangements of the same elements that make up the compound.

In other words it is still the same product but can have different effect from its isoform as it is structuraly different.

Does that make any sense??

Cheers
Steven

ChrisA
12th-February-2004, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by Steven
A chemical definition would be that you can have various isoforms of a compound through different spatial arrangements of the same elements that make up the compound.

In other words it is still the same product but can have different effect from its isoform as it is structuraly different.

Does that make any sense??

Can you give an example of what you mean?

Chris

spindr
12th-February-2004, 04:08 PM
Would one example be "chiral" molecules where a molecule with a left-handed spiral and molecule with a right-handed spiral have different effects?

SpinDr.

P.S. Is the isoform bra, the type where the front section's cast as a single piece of plastic -- hence less wires, chafing, etc. My favourite research area. (http://www.textfiles.com/humor/gown.txt)

ChrisA
12th-February-2004, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by spindr
Would one example be "chiral" molecules where a molecule with a left-handed spiral and molecule with a right-handed spiral have different effects?

Not to my knowledge.

Molecules where the only structural difference is that one is the mirror image of the other (but are not superimposable) are called "enantiomers".

Where two molecules have several chiral centres, and the arrangement of these is such that the one is not a mirror image of the other, yet they are still not superimposable, they are termed "diastereomers".

These terms are usually applied to relatively simple molecules (ie no secondary or tertiary structure), though. I never did much protein chemistry, so I don't know much about the nomenclature.

Chris

Divissima
12th-February-2004, 04:54 PM
May I speak for non-science boffins everywhere when I say

Huh?? :confused:
Just wish I'd been better at science at school...

ChrisA
12th-February-2004, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by Divissima

Damn right, Divi.

Let's get back to bras quick, please. :drool:

Chicklet
12th-February-2004, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by ChrisA

correct, there's just one point instead of two.

wouldn't be suprised if someone like Pink had a hand in it....

ChrisA
12th-February-2004, 05:49 PM
correct, there's just one point instead of two.

wouldn't be suprised if someone like Pink had a hand in it....
May I speak for non- bra-experts everywhere when I say

I quite like the idea of having a hand in it though :innocent:

fruitcake
12th-February-2004, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by Divissima

Just wish I'd been better at science at school...

Well in my opinion I think an 'isoform' is something that you would see in a Red Dwqrf episode,(Yes back to red dwarf and some common sense!!). It woUld be one of those aliens that forms in to something beside it- the genetic mutant- as in Listers boxer shorts that shrunk whilst he was wearing them-ooh!
Fruity
PS this is like 'call my bluff'

Lory
12th-February-2004, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by fruitcake
PS this is like 'call my bluff'
:yeah: :rofl: :rofl:

it's a brand name for a one cup bra
Originally posted by ChrisA

A one cup bra.....Isn't is obvious? it's for someone with only one t*t!:what: :innocent::whistle:

Lou
12th-February-2004, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by spindr
P.S. Is the isoform bra, the type where the front section's cast as a single piece of plastic -- hence less wires, chafing, etc. My favourite research area. (http://www.textfiles.com/humor/gown.txt)
Nah - that's the Bioform! :grin: