PDA

View Full Version : Dance-related hobbies

Stuart M
12th-February-2004, 09:51 AM
I've been feeling of late that I ought to develop a new hobby. However I'd like it to be something which helps my dancing in some (not immediately obvious) way. Any interesting ideas out there, or are we all single-minded dance obsessives?

Possible ideas so far are martial arts, and learning to play a musical instrument. Any others? I've been thinking mental rather than physical pursuits, to improve my ability to concentrate/think ahead etc.

Aleks
12th-February-2004, 10:29 AM
How about music theory and/or something with pattern-recognition skills?

Jayne
12th-February-2004, 10:31 AM
well you've heard of train spotters and plane spotters - how about starting a new craze of dance spotting? The idea is you go to competitions and write down the "serial number" you see on some dancers. All you need for this is a pen, paper and the knowledge of where to go. Et voila - endless hours of amusement!

J :blush:

I'll think of something serious soon...

Stuart M
12th-February-2004, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by Jayne
well you've heard of train spotters and plane spotters - how about starting a new craze of dance spotting? The idea is you go to competitions and write down the "serial number" you see on some dancers. You mean have a national register of dancers, each with their own unique number to use in all dance competitions? :what: [runs off screaming into the hills]

I'll think of something serious soon...:whistle:

Originally posted by Aleks
How about music theory and/or something with pattern-recognition skills? I know a fair bit of music theory already - not much point in listening to classical music without it. Pattern-recognition skills is interesting though. I wonder if speed chess players would make good dancers - you know, the ability to think and analyse far ahead under time pressure?

Lory
12th-February-2004, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by Stuart M
I wonder if speed chess players would make good dancers - you know, the ability to think and analyse far ahead under time pressure?
No is the answer to that!
My neighbour is one of the top chess players in the country and I was invited to his children's Barmizvahs (spelling???) during which I've never seen such an uncoordinated person in my life (and his friends for that matter) it was like watching a scene from Monty Python!:sick::rofl: :rofl:

Mary
12th-February-2004, 11:26 AM
How about yoga. I did it for a bit (and still use some of the exercises), and found it helped my balance and posture (as well as improved flexibility), and chilled my brain out to improvise comfortably. Should really discipline myself to start doing it again.

Just a thought.:whistle:

M

Aleks
12th-February-2004, 11:41 AM
:yeah: or Tai Chi/Qi Gung.
I do a class of each every week and it really helps with balance and concentration.

Jayne
12th-February-2004, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by Aleks
something with pattern-recognition skills?
Hey, you [stuart] could become a molecular profiler like me! You already know how to use computers so you're half way there - just need to learn the biology now!

J :wink:

still trying to think of something serious...

ChrisA
12th-February-2004, 12:16 PM
Hey, you [stuart] could become a molecular profiler like me! You already know how to use computers so you're half way there - just need to learn the biology now!

Don't you have to be a girl to be a biologist?

:devil:

Monika
12th-February-2004, 12:34 PM
Stuart
Good luck in finding a new hobby. I recommend rock-climbing! Includes both mental and physical pursuits and is good fun. I know several people with dance-related injuries/pains & aches and most of them involves problems with shoulders and/or neck: Climbing will help you build strength to avoid these types of injuries and help you switch off and good anti stress medicine. Whether you just go for in-door climbing or "the real thing" is up to you, but very addictive and fun sport! I tried it first time at a party (in mini-skirt! ...mental note to find and destroy the film..!) at a friends house = big house with in-door climbing wall! and loved it!
Take care & play safe...
Mon x
:hug: :)

Jayne
12th-February-2004, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by ChrisA
Don't you have to be a girl to be a biologist?

Well if you're a girl you can be a biologist at low level - but if you want to make it in biology you have to be a bloke. :angry:

Where did I put my soapbox???

Hobbies.... still thinking...

J :nice:

Lory
12th-February-2004, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by Monika
big house with in-door climbing wall! and loved it!

WOW the things people have in their houses!!! The best house I've ever been to, had a mini cinema...fantastic!:waycool:

Sorry! I know I'm off the thread!:blush: :flower:

Trying to get slightly back on thread.... I paint, I know its got nothing what so ever to do with dancing but it's a HOBBY OK!:whistle:

Stuart M
12th-February-2004, 01:03 PM
I recommend rock-climbing!

Might give this a go...

I tried it first time at a party (in mini-skirt! ...mental note to find and destroy the film..!) at a friends house
...but I'll leave the mini-skirts to Bill :wink:

Rock-climbing/dancing - don't you get to combine these in some Aberdeen venues anyway :D ?

Monika
12th-February-2004, 01:15 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Stuart M
Rock-climbing/dancing - don't you get to combine these in some Aberdeen venues anyway :D ?

...well - you just have to come up for a visit to check...! House walls in the Silver City tempting too...
Lot's of great venues for in-door and out-door climbing in Bonnie Scotland! The new Ratho adventure center = National Climbing center near Edinburgh airport not too far away and I'm sure there are local venues in Glasgow too. Don't need any gear to give it a go as can get tuition and hire kit - until you get hooked and want your own...
Ratho includes impressive climbing arena (still under development), but there are also plans for a scuba diving center, running/mountain bike trails, gym, saunas, shops, etc. Complex includes 80 bedrooms en-suite and SPA etc... Great place to try out new hobbies..!!!
:D

spindr
12th-February-2004, 01:16 PM
Hmmm, two suggestions:

1). running - build up your endurance.
2). juggling - learn to experience "bullet time" -- see the gaps in the moves. Plus handy for doing hand changes when your shoulders are sweaty.

SpinDr.

Mary
12th-February-2004, 01:29 PM

Monika, you can probably answer this. I think it was when I was doing a job in Aberdeen that I tried a climbing wall in a converted church - I think it was called St Mary's. They had colour coded climbs to coincide with the grading system of climbs. Great place, and you could hire climbing shoes. If it wasn't Aberdeen it must have been Edinburgh.

M

Monika
12th-February-2004, 01:38 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Mary
[B]Monika, you can probably answer this. I think it was when I was doing a job in Aberdeen that I tried a climbing wall in a converted church - I think it was called St Mary's. They had colour coded climbs to coincide with the grading system of climbs. Great place, and you could hire climbing shoes. If it wasn't Aberdeen it must have been Edinburgh.

Mary
..been to St Mary's too - great place in Edinburgh.
We have in-door climbing wall at the Beach Leisure centre in Aberdeen. (Stuart right next to Beach Ballroom venue...! open until 23pm week-days and until 9pm'ish Saturdays and Sundays).

Take care
:hug:

bigdjiver
12th-February-2004, 01:46 PM
Rock-climbing/dancing - don't you get to combine these in some Aberdeen venues anyway :D ? Do I sense a 3D solution forming to the room to dance problem?

Abseil / bungee / balloon jive?

Gadget
12th-February-2004, 01:51 PM
You have time for hobbies outside of dancing??? :confused::what:
oooooh, jealous. :wink:

I would say that any martial art that involves weapon use would be a good one to take up; there are so many similarities between controlling a weapon and leading a lady.
I would love to learn with the Bo staff, but don't have the time to find somewhere or get leasons. I know of at least five (good) dancers that have fenced (or still do) - one of which is a "Professor" of fencing, another is me, and I'm sure that it was Andy who confessed to being a sabreur.

I think that you would have to take up tiddlywinks to find somthing that you could not apply to dancing... :waycool:

Stuart M
12th-February-2004, 01:56 PM
Oops - this was just a cheeky reference to O'Donoghues somewhat unusual floor near the bar :wink: !

And regarding juggling, spindr - good suggestion, I could do it quite well a few years back. Must break out those skittles again...

Bill
12th-February-2004, 02:02 PM
Stuart
I tried it first time at a party (in mini-skirt! ...mental note to find and destroy the film..!) at a friends house = big house with in-door climbing wall! and loved it!

Mon x
:hug: :)

Maybe that would catch on Monika................ wall climbing in mini skirts....... how many men would volunteer to give you all a hand? :na:

and Stuart..............my skirts are seldom that short....... obviously depends on the occasion :innocent: :na:

Aleks
12th-February-2004, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by bigdjiver
Do I sense a 3D solution forming to the room to dance problem?

Abseil / bungee / balloon jive?

Would that be XTREME jiving ?

Geordieed
12th-February-2004, 02:39 PM
Shopping for shoes. Find a girl whose other hobby is shopping for shoes and can disguise this under the banner of finding new shoes that 'would look great on a dancefloor' and there you have it.

Monika
12th-February-2004, 02:53 PM
Stuart

Climbing in Glasgow:
http://www.glasgowclimbingcentre.co.uk

http://www.tiso.co.uk
(Couper Street)

Kelvin Hall Sports Arena, Argyle Street, no web-site, but can contact on 0141 3572525

Edinburgh:
http://www.alienrock.co. uk (converted church)
Ratho:
http://www.adventurescotland.co.uk

...good luck!

Will
12th-February-2004, 03:22 PM
I've been feeling of late that I ought to develop a new hobby. However I'd like it to be something which helps my dancing in some (not immediately obvious) way. Any interesting ideas out there, or are we all single-minded dance obsessives?

Possible ideas so far are martial arts, and learning to play a musical instrument. Any others? I've been thinking mental rather than physical pursuits, to improve my ability to concentrate/think ahead etc.
I've found Dwarf Tossing very useful.

Geordieed
12th-February-2004, 03:51 PM
How about Will bashing...

Penfold
12th-February-2004, 04:08 PM
I think any type of martial art would have some benefit to dancing. They will all help to improve balance, footwork, give's you some form of muscle conditioning and for me has helped with timing. Fencing is good for giving an appreciation of what your partner is doing, just a shame I'm not very good at fencing

I've been having guitar lessons for a few months now and this has helped me notice different ways of picking out beats and off beats in songs, especially when trying to improvise a solo.

Emma
12th-February-2004, 04:10 PM
Take up sewing, Stuart....never be short of a costume again! :cheers: :flower:

Rachel
12th-February-2004, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by Emma
Take up sewing, Stuart....never be short of a costume again! :cheers: :flower: Do you know, that's just what I was thinking ... but didn't dare post!!! (A great hobby, in my opinion.)
R.

Emma
12th-February-2004, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by Rachel
Do you know, that's just what I was thinking Great minds, Rachel :hug: :grin:

Rachel
12th-February-2004, 04:47 PM
Great minds, Rachel :hug: :grin: And another bonus - very cheap curtains!

Liked the climbing wall suggestions, too! I tried doing that a few times at the wall in Peterborough. Great fun. Reminded me of holidays at Weston Super Mare when I was young and scabbling round the rocks with my father.

But I stopped going to the indoor wall cos I had no-one to go with, and was too nervous to go on my own. All the guys I asked were scared of heights - (this wall wasn't much over 20 ft)!!!!

(Shoes, Mary, shoes??? In my day, we didn't have shoes - I always did it barefoot!)
Rachel

Mary
12th-February-2004, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by Rachel
And another bonus - very cheap curtains!

(Shoes, Mary, shoes??? In my day, we didn't have shoes - I always did it barefoot!)
Rachel

OK, when I was little I used scramble around the rocks in barefeet!! But I've got soft feet now - think I've gone soft full stop!!:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I also suppose you lived in paper bag as well :D :D :wink:

M

fruitcake
12th-February-2004, 07:58 PM
YOu should try an outdoor hobby, nothing to do with dancing I would say, like monica suggests rock climbing..I love hillwalking, combined with birdwatching-brilliant fun , very relaxing, orienteering,bramble picking in september is very relaxing too!
You could do something like astronomy which I find fascinating and join an astronomy club or evening class.
Have you thought of sea fishing?If i was a bloke and didnt mind gettin g my fingers dirty an dsmelly thats what i would do!Rhona at work beside me suggests cooking!!!!!!
Fruitcake

jivecat
12th-February-2004, 09:10 PM
I'd go with the rock-climbing- needs strength, agility, flexibility, poise, balance and control. Occasionally referred to as "rock ballet". However, all the climbers I've known have been obsessive, adrenalin-crazed rock junkies prepared to get up at the crack of dawn at weekends to pursue their addiction. So if you're an obsessive, adrenalin-crazed dance-floor junkie that never gets to bed before 2 at weekends I'm not sure if there's a future in it unless you like existing on hardly any sleep.

Emma
12th-February-2004, 09:26 PM
Yes, cooking..and sewing...and maybe housework? :devil: :flower:

Stuart M
12th-February-2004, 11:25 PM
...and maybe housework? :devil: :flower:
Oh yeah, like that's a hobby, Em - some people are just sick....

So far we have:
1)Rock-climbing
2)juggling
3)yoga
4)martial arts
5)sewing
6)cooking
7)guitar lessons
8)music theory
9)astronomy
10)bird-watching
11)hillwalking
12)Dwarf-tossing
13)Will-bashing (there's a joke here somewhere :innocent: )
14)bungee jumping

I'll have a look into 1-4. Or alternatively there's zorbing (http://www.thatsallineed.co.uk/BBRetail/Extreme/ExtremeMain.asp?QryName=Zorbing), which I believe you can do in somewhere in Perthshire.

Heather
13th-February-2004, 12:04 AM
Originally posted by Mary

I also suppose you lived in paper bag as well :D :D :wink:

M

WE had it tough!! We used to live in Shoe Box in't middle of road!!!:rofl: :rofl:

Heather,
x

Dreadful Scathe
13th-February-2004, 12:10 AM
Originally posted by Heather
WE had it tough!! We used to live in Shoe Box in't middle of road!!!:rofl: :rofl:

shoe box ??? LUXURY ...we made do with a rain filled pit in the ground....

fruitcake
13th-February-2004, 12:55 AM
There's always that paint ball shooting thing in woods

I would love to do that....pretend I was a female version of Arnie!which sounds great,what's it called again?
:na:

Stuart M
13th-February-2004, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by fruitcake
There's always that paint ball shooting thing in woods

I would love to do that....pretend I was a female version of Arnie!which sounds great,what's it called again?
:na:
Usually just called paintball - Bedlam (http://www.bedlampaintball.com/) have a venue near Aberdeen I think.

The one time I tried it, I ended up with a sore back after some idiot shot me there from quite close :tears:. Wouldn't go again unless I knew everyone in the parties taking part (we were teamed up against a stag night of neds).

Glasgow Jane
13th-February-2004, 09:58 AM
I'll have a look into 1-4. Or alternatively there's zorbing (http://www.thatsallineed.co.uk/BBRetail/Extreme/ExtremeMain.asp?QryName=Zorbing), which I believe you can do in somewhere in Perthshire.
No, I think zorbing is best done on my home planet, the Planet Zorb. But is it really a new hobby you need to fill up your leisure hours and improve your dancing? Do you not just (:whistle: ahem!) need a regular dance partner with whom to practice the yummier, trickier moves? :whistle: :flower:

Gadget
13th-February-2004, 10:32 AM
Usually just called paintball - Bedlam (http://www.bedlampaintball.com/) have a venue near Aberdeen I think.

The one time I tried it, I ended up with a sore back after some idiot shot me there from quite close :tears:. Wouldn't go again unless I knew everyone in the parties taking part (we were teamed up against a stag night of neds).
The one I've been to a few times is "Skirmish", but try this URL for reviews and lists of all companies running paintball:
www.justpaintball.co.uk (http://www.justpaintball.co.uk/site_guide/scotland.htm)

Good fun, but you have to be carefull of "Neds", "Supermen" and "Psychos". Allways best if you have "nutters", "snipers" and "shambling mounds" on your team :wink: :D

Heather
13th-February-2004, 01:50 PM

Heather,
X

Bill
13th-February-2004, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by Gadget

Good fun, but you have to be carefull of "Neds", "Supermen" and "Psychos". Allways best if you have "nutters", "snipers" and "shambling mounds" on your team :wink: :D

boys and their toys eh !!!!!!!!!!!!! I suppose violent hobbies might help get rid of aggresion and stress but I prefer going to the cinema than running about 'killing' people :na:

fruitcake
13th-February-2004, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by Gadget

Hee Hee!I am a closet psycho! Let me at 'em!!:devil:

Bill
13th-February-2004, 05:25 PM
Hee Hee!I am a closet psycho! Let me at 'em!!:devil:

now why doesn't that surprise me .............. better be careful the next time we dance then :wink:

jivecat
13th-February-2004, 06:01 PM
Look- forget the rest. Spring is just around the corner and it's time to get out into the garden and get some dirt under those fingernails. Happiness is a warm greenhouse.

fruitcake
13th-February-2004, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by Bill
now why doesn't that surprise me .............. better be careful the next time we dance then :wink:

No love, you'll be alright, cos it'll be slow music and I'll just have a wee nap on your shoulder- but you should see me in charge of an electric drill- I pretend I'm Lara Croft- ooer!
(unless anyones watching of course!!):wink:

fruitcake
13th-February-2004, 09:50 PM
No love, you'll be alright, cos it'll be slow music and I'll just have a wee nap on your shoulder- but you should see me in charge of an electric drill- I pretend I'm Lara Croft- ooer!
(unless anyones watching of course!!):wink:

PS although I don't actually resemble lara croft in Any way, shape or form, its a lot of pretending I have to do:rofl:

Bill
17th-February-2004, 04:18 PM
PS although I don't actually resemble lara croft in Any way, shape or form, its a lot of pretending I have to do:rofl:

so the buzzing noises are from the electric drill are they.....:what: :rolleyes:

Stuart M
20th-April-2006, 03:55 PM
Though it worthwhile resurrecting an ancient thread.

Stuart
Good luck in finding a new hobby. I recommend rock-climbing! Includes both mental and physical pursuits and is good fun. I know several people with dance-related injuries/pains & aches and most of them involves problems with shoulders and/or neck: Climbing will help you build strength to avoid these types of injuries and help you switch off and good anti stress medicine.
Well, over 2 years later and I finally got round to taking someone's advice on the Forum (at the behest of my other half, I must add)! Rep to Monika for suggesting this. I started a couple of weeks back, been a few times and lovin' it already! Plus points: all those Mon mentions above, also

a better understanding of body position and balance transfer.
specifically, increased upper body strength.
you get to stare at fit bods of your gender preference contorted into interesting positions for ages, and no-one asks questions :whistle:
for a bloke, it has a whole new range of geeky gear to buy, and terminology to bandy around.

Only downside is that I am now developing finger muscles - at this rate my hands will resemble Charles Atlas glove puppets in a couple of months...

Donna
20th-April-2006, 04:17 PM
I've tried rock climbing before and loved it! We ended up going down some caves at the top of the cliffs which was excellent... but spooky at the same time!

a better understanding of body position and balance transfer.

It certainly does!

specifically, increased upper body strength.

It really builds your legs up too.

you get to stare at fit bods of your gender preference contorted into interesting positions for ages, and no-one asks questions :whistle:

Tut. :rolleyes: men!

Only downside is that I am now developing finger muscles - at this rate my hands will resemble Charles Atlas glove puppets in a couple of months

:rofl:

Caro
1st-May-2006, 10:13 PM
I've noticed this thread recently and since I am just back from my first fencing lesson, I thought I would post how it went (haven't read the thread from beginning to end so apologies if this has already been said :flower: ).

I spent an hour with lovely Douglas - a fellow ceroc dancer and very experienced fencing champions producer! - who took me through the basics at fleuret. (many thanks Douglas :cheers: :flower: ).

So, I'm convinced that it will be great to improve:
- balance
- posture (can't slouch!)
- concentration - if you rush things it just goes wrong, must take a lot of self-control (without even thinking about competition and stress and strategy...)
- patience: it's a lot to take in, you have to concentrate on a lot of things at the same time and it will just take time before I remember them all - and even longer before I can do them propely!

So I think there's a good chance it'll have some good repercussions on my dancing, we'll see. I'm especially expecting this to improve my balance.

I was a bit worried that my knees wouldn't like it (I have bad knees), but actually it was fine. The problem in the future might be my wrist (to much computing and clicking!) but we'll see it's fine for now.

So although it's too early to say if I'm really gonna get into it, I surely enjoyed that first class and I will definately give it a try in the coming weeks and months.;)

Caro
2nd-May-2006, 12:20 PM
Realised an important bit about how fencing might help your dancing, especially relevant for the followers. :D
I think it will really develop thigh muscles, especially the right thigh (for right handed) and it may very well come in very useful for drops - or coming out of them!!! :D