PDA

View Full Version : Ashtons Feb 7th

foxylady
7th-February-2004, 11:27 AM
Any forumites going to ashtons tonight ?:grin: :grin:

Mary
7th-February-2004, 12:08 PM
'fraid not. We're going to Windsor. Closer, cheaper, more space, and you don't need to take out a mortgage to get tap water! :angry: (sorry, cheap shot :blush: )

M

bobgadjet
8th-February-2004, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by foxylady
Any forumites going to ashtons tonight ?:grin: :grin:
Glad you made it last night FL, and thanks for the intro. Good to put a face to that dancing avatar :hug:
I was looking for you later on for a dance, but alas, could not find you.:tears:
Never mind, maybe next time.

On a point of matter, the venue had let us down BIG time:tears: and the floor was PACKED, so made it very difficult to have a decent dance. We are assured that will not happen again, but we just have to take the bad with the good. Amy did a great class under difficult circumstances.

I had a great time playing with the music, and just about got a hang of the computerised lighting system so that you could at least see who you were bumping into :)

Roll on 21st Feb, when we should be in one of the other halls, as usual, so you can all swing around to your hearts content.

bobgadjet
8th-February-2004, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by Mary
'fraid not. We're going to Windsor. Closer, cheaper, more space, and you don't need to take out a mortgage to get tap water! :angry: (sorry, cheap shot :blush: )
M
I don't think that's a cheap shot at all. I think it's a really bad show when a venue, ANY venue, charges almost as much for a glass of water as for some of the alcoholic beverages.
Its a pity also, that the price of bottled and untaxed water costs MORE than alcoholic drinks in a lot of venues.

If only we could drink Petrol, we would save a lot of money:sick:

On the other side of the coin, and to be unbiased :whistle: there are some venues that subsidise the bar for dance nights, and Ashtons do just that. Being a guest DJ at that nightclub I can assure you that the prices are a deal higher on a disco night, than on a Ceroc night. That is why THEY will evict anybody found with outside purchases on the premises. So that we retain all our customers we confiscate outside drinks we see for ourselves. Its only fair that a venue retains a revenue from their bar if they are subsidising prices.:cheers:

I noticed in another thread that Gus started, re-two venues competing on door entry, there were a lot of different reasons why people would choose one venue over another, but only one(as far as I saw) mentioned drinks price as a deciding factor.
One reason I am reluctant to go to Bisley is that the last time I was there I was well and truly STUNG for a drink:cry: I will have to get over it as I dearly want to go for a WCS nigfht soon.

Lounge Lizard
8th-February-2004, 05:21 PM
[i]I noticed in another thread that Gus started, re-two venues competing on door entry, there were a lot of different reasons why people would choose one venue over another, but only one(as far as I saw) mentioned drinks price as a deciding factor.
Cos we are not big drinkers in MJ circuit ... but tap water should be provided FREE at all venues IMO

[i]IOne reason I am reluctant to go to Bisley is that the last time I was there I was well and truly STUNG for a drink:cry: I will have to get over it as I dearly want to go for a WCS nigfht soon.
I have never found Bisley to be any dearer than pup prices - if you want cheap drinks go to Friends provident dances at Dorking
pp

bobgadjet
8th-February-2004, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by Lounge Lizard
[B]
Cos we are not big drinkers in MJ circuit ... but tap water should be provided FREE at all venues IMO
Mostly any dance form dancers are not big drinkers, I know that:nice:
Could not agree more with the "free tap water":cheers:
They provide free tap water at the Pavilion in Bournemouth, and at Ceroc in Finchley. I've not seen it anywhere else as far as I remember, but then Im a bit busy to get around much at the moment:D
Mind you, there are some places I would not want to drink the tap water :sick:

I have never found Bisley to be any dearer than pup prices - if you want cheap drinks go to Friends provident dances at Dorking
pp
I can only comment on my one trip there so far, and WILL be going as soon as my Fridays free up and I can bring my lady. Hope to see you there:cheers:

Martin
8th-February-2004, 05:55 PM
As Ceroc is idealy performed at night clubs it is so difficult to retain the venue due to lack of takings over the bar.

A valid comment made a while ago on the smoking thread by
Mike E about Ashdons.
I forget the figures but it is a staggering difference per head. (check out the smoking thread for details)

Some venues here, still free water in plenty, others now a charge (or the venue will close).

Other options are to use school halls, community centers or church halls with no bar.

You pay your money and make your choice.

In the UK I made an active contribution to the bar in beer buying :yum:
As a reformed drinker I now go for water, try to sneek in my bottle and top up :really:
On dance parties I buy a jug for $3 and party party party...:cheers:

Martin
8th-February-2004, 06:01 PM
Bobgadget

Marriage is Grand,
Divorce is Twenty Grand

Love the quote BUT a bit out of date...

Marriage is Grand
Divorce is 500 Grand

IMHO:blush: :blush: :sick:

Minnie M
8th-February-2004, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by Martin
On dance parties I buy a jug for $3 and party party party...:cheers:

It is like 'corkage' - I think the first drink of tap water (jug + glasses) should really be a nominal charge for the service - after that. the refills should be free

I drink Soda Water - it is nearly as good as carbonated water and is usually free (when on tap) or about 20p :flower:

Martin
8th-February-2004, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by Minnie M
It is like 'corkage' - I think the first drink of tap water (jug + glasses) should really be a nominal charge for the service - after that. the refills should be free

Can be done - go and fill up the jug yourself...:cheers:

bobgadjet
8th-February-2004, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by Minnie M

They had that at The Admiral Nelson in Plymouth. 1st glass (pint) of water was 20-25p and the refils free, but that bar was brought in by the organiser I think, as the Ad Nel "IS" a school hall:)
The most expensive bottle of water I had to buy was a place about 5 years ago, in Mayfair London. £9 a pint:angry: I almost walked out. Have to rename it Un-Mayfair:).
If we could just get MJ, or dance in general, accepted as a public activity or sport, I think the law says that water has to be provided, but I would stand corrected if I have been told in error.:blush:

bobgadjet
8th-February-2004, 06:31 PM
Bobgadget

Marriage is Grand,
Divorce is Twenty Grand

Love the quote BUT a bit out of date...

Marriage is Grand
Divorce is 500 Grand

IMHO:blush: :blush: :sick:
Sounds like you got REALLY stung :sick:

Martin
8th-February-2004, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by bobgadjet
Sounds like you got REALLY stung :sick:

So true and it was 500 grand.

In the Ladies defence, I have come across 3 ladies in Aussie fighting a simalar battle against men:sick: After thier cash.:tears:

Why do people think that way? :blush:

foxylady
8th-February-2004, 09:54 PM
Glad you made it last night FL, and thanks for the intro. Good to put a face to that dancing avatar :hug:
snip..

On a point of matter, the venue had let us down BIG time:tears: and the floor was PACKED, so made it very difficult to have a decent dance.

snip

Nice to see the 'whole' face...

It was packed, but there were some FAB dancers there and I had some really good dances, spoilt only by those idiots completely inconsiderate of others (one chap I was dancing with who tried to drop me when there wasn't room - and I refused - said 'just kick them, they've been kicking me'.... what a great attitude !!!)

Bob - well done for reminding dancers to be considerate . It was needed and welcomed by the majority of us !!

BTW if anyone thought the water was expensive, you should have tried the alcohol!!!

FL:cheers: :cheers:

bobgadjet
9th-February-2004, 01:24 AM
Originally posted by foxylady
Nice to see the 'whole' face...
Bob - well done for reminding dancers to be considerate . It was needed and welcomed by the majority of us !!

FL:cheers: :cheers: :clap::cheers::hug::kiss:
Next time I hope I get a dance :tears::na:

bobgadjet
9th-February-2004, 01:28 AM
So true and it was 500 grand.

OOOOWWWWCH....

Well, I'm not getting married again. I think I'll just find a lady who learns how to hate me, and give her a house :rofl:

No, really, what marriage all about anyway? Just a piece of paper.

I'd rather have honesty, and companionship etc etc, but that's not this thread so.......... byeee on that one :)

foxylady
9th-February-2004, 01:58 PM
BTW Bob - loved 'more than a number in my little red book', and 'you're sixteen' - took me way back to school discos (yes I'm afraid I am that old), ............ and I remembered all the words !!!!!!:flower: :flower:

Sheepman
9th-February-2004, 02:05 PM
One reason I am reluctant to go to Bisley is that the last time I was there I was well and truly STUNG for a drink They must have seen you coming, as LL says, it should be pub prices there, or certainly cheaper than pub prices compared to my locals.

Greg

bobgadjet
9th-February-2004, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by Sheepman
They must have seen you coming, as LL says, it should be pub prices there, or certainly cheaper than pub prices compared to my locals.

Greg Yes I think so, but I didn't want to stir things up that day. Your event was just TOOOOO good to have a go at somebody, so I just bit the bullet, so to speak.
Last word on that............
Pint glass full of ice, one J2O Orange flavour, one tot of Bacardi = £8.20 :angry: I don't call THAT pub prices :rolleyes:
I will get there again with Janet sometime in the not too distant future.

Sheepman
9th-February-2004, 03:00 PM
£8.20 :angry: Ouch! Presumably that was at the party? I wonder if they did a dirty and bumped up their prices for that night? 'scuse my ignorance, what is a "J20"

I'll have to check with Mrs Sheepman, as she usually buys while I'm behind the decks, but whenever I've bought drinks there, I'm happily surprised with how much change I get, unlike at Ashton's.

Greg

bobgadjet
9th-February-2004, 03:18 PM
'scuse my ignorance, what is a "J20"
Greg

Made by Britvic, and from the label....
Fruit juices(in the case - Orange & Passionfruit), water, sugar, stabiliser, flavourings, colour, preservative, antioxident.:sick:

It's a very sweet soft drink, and the shot of Bacardi usually makes a very nice breezer of your own making, and takes the sweetness off a little bit.
J2O (jay two OH) or in this case Jay Two OH NO :) sells for anything from £ 1.20 to £ 3.50 for the 275ml bottle. Normal pub price would be in the order of £ 1.80 - £2.20.

As far as bumping the prices at the party, I don't know, but maybe they thought they could make up what they thought they had lost because of the hand out drinks early on :confused:

As I've said before Ashtons do subsidise their dance night bar, only by a little, but every little helps.

Sheepman
9th-February-2004, 03:23 PM
maybe they thought they could make up what they thought they had lost because of the hand out drinks early on :confused:
Believe me, they got their fair share of that too!

Greg

bobgadjet
9th-February-2004, 03:40 PM
Believe me, they got their fair share of that too!
Greg
Well, no matter what the price of anything, it was a truely wonderful evening.
Thank you
:cheers:
Whens the next one?:whistle: