PDA

View Full Version : Does Ceroc drive you to drink?

Gus
27th-August-2002, 11:10 PM
In my search for a decent freestyle venue, the issue of alcohol and bar licenses reared its ugly head .... please take pity for us English folk still suffering from arcane licensing regulations...:tears:

....then it occured to me that for most people maybe alcoholic drinks weren't an issue ... hence the poll.

Please note there are seperate polls for lads and lasses as, in my limited experience, ladies tend to find that drinking and spinning don't mix too well (and I'll avoid the obvious jokes about spilling drink etc..)

Anyway, what are your thoughts ... does drink help or hinder?

Heather
27th-August-2002, 11:42 PM
Personally, Gus, I don't ever drink alcohol when I am dancing, in fact the only time I am ever likely to drink is a couple of glasses of wine with a meal or if friends are up at my house.
Oe of the reasons I liked Ceroc so much was that most of the people in particular the men I met, were stone cold sober.
Having been married to a man who never came home unless he'd stopped for a couple of pints in the pub, it was a refreshing change to actually encounter a circle of people who did not need alcohol to function as human beings!!!! Alcohol alters peoples personalities and not always for the better!!

:cheers:
Heather

Steven
27th-August-2002, 11:48 PM
I probably get through a couple of pints......of water!!!

I don't drink alcohol unless it is a party night but even then it would only be one or two :wink:

Cheers
Steven

Gus
28th-August-2002, 12:01 AM
Originally posted by Heather
Alcohol alters peoples personalities and not always for the better!!

After my last experience of alcohol altered lads in Hanley (main town in Stoke-on-Trent), I have to concur.

As I always had to drive to club and freestyle nights I never used to really drink. Recently though I've been taken to most gigs so started drinking. Strange thing happened .... started getting feedback that I was getting rough to dance with ..... after that shock to the system its been back on the coke. Its scary how just a few pints can make a difference, bit like drinking and driving.

Final point ... one of the worst experiences you can have is trying to dance with a woman who is plastered ... had this a couple of times and it really is unpleasant.

Curtain
28th-August-2002, 12:02 AM
I find that drink always helps.

Obviously not having to dance, I'm somewhat free to explore the bottom of the odd glass. God help the days when the deejay doesn't have the friendly banter from the bar to raise his/her weary spirits.

How could you possibly steal from us that precious abuse one only receives from the alcoholic alter (also read toilets)? It just isn't on. We have rights!!

I beg of you Gus, for the sake of deejays everywhere, hold your nights in a public house!!

filthycute
28th-August-2002, 12:03 AM
It won't let me vote....dunno why..but i'd go for the "couple of breezers" option. I'll have 2 or 3 bottles on a party night but if we're carrying on to another place....say a salsa bar for instance, i'll tend to have more when we get there. I tend to end up a bit of a fruit loop though :sick: not so bad if you have company, but when everyone else is sober....JEEZ!!! :rolleyes:

i've learnt my lesson though. made a mental note to myself "never get drunk untill you witness someone worse than yourself" :D

filthycute x x

Stubob
28th-August-2002, 09:36 AM
Having voted I thought I would add my tuppence-worth here. I never drink alcohol when I dance primarily because it is hard enough trying to keep the the moves nicely sequenced sober !

The last time I drank and danced (2 weeks ago at a wedding) my wife and I started off Cerocing, then for some reason I got it in to my head that we were doing WCS, and by the end of the record I was trying to salsa! I don't know which one of us was most confused......!

Stubob.

Alexis Beuraud
28th-August-2002, 10:04 AM
Personally I have not much money, and a pint is expensive enough to prevent me drinking too much.
Anyway, I absolutely do not need alcohol.
But I am definitely not the average Scottish guy.

Emma
28th-August-2002, 10:31 AM
I find that one drink loosens me up sufficiently enough to ask people to dance. It might be psycological. I never drink before the freestyling starts though, because I find even one drink makes me wobble in a lesson (actually I tend to wobble in lessons for some reason anyhow...something to do with going slowly I think).

Gus
28th-August-2002, 11:06 AM
Funny ... thinking back, when I first started teaching I always had to have a drink before going on stage .... not a series of rum chasers, but just a bottle of Becks ... supping that during the beginners lesson would ease me through.

Though I'm not as terrified as I use to be, still get slighlty nervous before I get on stage and find that a bottle of Becks is a bit of a talisman ... even though these days I usualy don't get to drink it until the first lesson is over!:sick:

Franck
28th-August-2002, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by Gus
Funny ... thinking back, when I first started teaching I always had to have a drink before going on stage ....I too have a bit of a tradition, I like to have one Gin & tonic before my class... I don't think it loosens me up (I usuallyl don't need much encouragement :wink: ), but it refreshes and relaxes me before going on stage.
Saying that on a Monday night, we do not have a bar, so I have to do without... :tears:
I wonder if my teaching style is affected?

However to come back to your original question, having a bar on the night, makes the venue a more welcoming prospect for new members, and helps the night become more sociable, so if you can then go for it.

Franck.

Curtain
28th-August-2002, 01:30 PM
I would have thought the more you drink at the Tuesday Aberdeen night, the more those stairs become a frightening proposition.

Keep telling yourself man "I shan't fall down those stairs doing some funky move, I shan't fall down those stairs!!"

Franck
28th-August-2002, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by DJ Curtain
Keep telling yourself man "I shan't fall down those stairs doing some funky move, I shan't fall down those stairs!!" Not me! I am more likely to throw my partners into a treble spin off the stage :really: :sorry

Franck.

Curtain
28th-August-2002, 01:34 PM
Yeah that sounds familiar!!

Did it involve Lisa perchance?

Tiggerbabe
29th-August-2002, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by Gus

Final point ... one of the worst experiences you can have is trying to dance with a woman who is plastered ... had this a couple of times and it really is unpleasant.

It is really unpleasant to dance with ANYONE who is plastered -

closely followed by someone who has just come back from having a cigarette (wee hint - your breath still reeks, wait a few minutes and have a mint or two [sorry - personal hate!]).

I often wish I could follow fc's lead and have one or two drinks but unfortunately I seem to totally loose any sense of balance that I had. Tried it once after a particularly sh**** day at work and couldn't even manage the beginners class properly so I now abstain.

I would agree with Franck though it's probably better if the hall can sell drink as those who don't perhaps dance all night (and to every record that they can) can still enjoy their social tipple.

:what: You had been drinking the night you were in Dundee right?

Only jokin' Gus - almost as smooth as old Fred Astaire himself:yum:

Gus
29th-August-2002, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by Sheena

:what: You had been drinking the night you were in Dundee right?

OK ... so I admit that I had been drinking, but needed to calm my nerves after trying demo on a stage of tables barely held together with elsatic bands ... NOT the best surface to demo a right handed archie spin on ... think I left my knee caps there!

Case in point ... only has a few bottles but I was daft enough to dance with you to that insane Bugle Boy song ..... soon sobered up when I realised how fast it was and that you weren't going to let me finish prematurely:sick:

Curtain
29th-August-2002, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by Gus

soon sobered up when I realised how fast it was and that you weren't going to let me finish prematurely:sick:

Something tells me this isn't the first time you have used that sentence Gus. Sorry people for lowering the tone yet again, but somebody had to say it.

Just a thought regarding the poll. It seems there are a scary number of people staying sober at the Ceroc nights.

IT JUST DOESN'T MAKE ANY SENSE.

Only the other day I talked to a few of the venue managers and they claim profits have never been higher. I think you should give yourselves a big hand, apparently you even out drink the men's 25-stone-plus darts championship team's bar bill (now that's a mouthful).

Keep on rockin'!!

DavidB
29th-August-2002, 11:00 PM
A couple of pints is my normal limit for Ceroc - after that I seem to be able to think of moves ok, but can't lead them. I usually drive anyway, so it's more like a pint of shandy, followed by orange juice!

The only time I ever drink more is late at night at Camber Sands (a big dance weekend on the South Coast). By that time I've done enough dancing to last me for a month.

I need to have a lot more before Salsa makes sense...

David

Gus
29th-August-2002, 11:12 PM

IT JUST DOESN'T MAKE ANY SENSE.

Only the other day I talked to a few of the venue managers and they claim profits have never been higher. I think you should give yourselves a big hand, apparently you even out do the men's 25-stone-plus darts championships bar bill (now that's a mouthful).

Aha ... you are making the classical mistake of thinking that pints = profits. After working for Whitbread I can reveal the worst kept secret in the industry ... thre REAL profit is from ripping off drivers and teetotal drinkers ... how? Look at how much you pay for your soft drinks ... about the same as a pint? And lets guess ... does it cost the same to make a pint of coke as a pint of beer?? :reallymad :reallymad

Nuff said ... that where tyhe profits come from, thats why venues loves to have non-alcoholic drinkers.

Sorry ... digressed there somewhat.

Heather
29th-August-2002, 11:38 PM
:nice: You have hit the nail on the head there Gus, I worked in a pub as a student years ago and it is true, there is MUCH more money to be made selling soft drinks than alcoholic ones.
The Olympia is a case in point, every soft drink there is £1, a can of coke, Sprite, paper cup of orange squash (holds about half a pint) you name it- it's £1. They are laughing all the way to the bank!!!!!!!!!:reallymad :reallymad And it's so hot there that you can quickly become dehydrated if you don't drink enough fluids.
If Asda can sell a can of cola/ lemonade etc for around 30p and make a profit, then it doesn't take Einstein to work out just who is being ripped off. The orange squash is even more of a rip- off, just how many half pints of squash at £1 each can you make out of a litre bottle of squash which costs around 90p????
(That's your homework for this week DJ Curtain -and you'd better get it handed in on time or punishment exercise will be issued!!!!!) I'll set FilthyCute on you!!!!:wink: :wink:

filthycute
30th-August-2002, 08:32 AM
Just a thought regarding the poll. It seems there are a scary number of people staying sober at the Ceroc nights.
IT JUST DOESN'T MAKE ANY SENSE
Keep on rockin'!! right paul you need to come along to the next Aberdeen dance.....go mark it in your calender.....and we'll have a wee bevy. Everyone can place bets on "will i be too drunk and have to stop dancing or will you be too drunk and start dancing ":D
(That's your homework for this week DJ Curtain -and you'd better get it handed in on time or punishment exercise will be issued!!!!!) I'll set FilthyCute on you!!!! I OBJECT!!!! Seems like everyone uses me as the resident rottweiller!! :eek: People will start to think i'm a monster who eats men for lunch!

so to set the record straight...i'm 5'2"..ginger nut....8stone 4lbs (As you well know Gus EVERY woman is 8 stone 4) :wink:
dundonian. I'm really not that scary and i don't bite men :innocent: :innocent: :innocent:

but if they keep pushing their luck.........:devil:

hannibal x x

Heather
30th-August-2002, 06:30 PM
:D :D YOU! Eat men for lunch"!!!!!!! NOt at all I din't mean to imply any such thing!!!!!!!! LOL
Anyway we all know by now that you're more likely to have a 'POT NOODLE'. How was the Bombay Bad Boy on Wednesday night and NO I'm not talking about YOU Sherwin!!!!!!!!:wink: :wink:
Must say Mel, I did think of you briefly tonoght as I was trawling up and down the aisles in ASDA!!! Everyone thought I was nuts when I passed the potnoodles and spotted the aforementioned delicacy!!!!!!:sorry

Heather
30th-August-2002, 06:32 PM
:sorry :sorry Just read this and noticed it didn't make sense!!!
I started laughing when I saw the Pot Noodle and everyone started giving me funny looks!!:sick:

Fox
1st-September-2002, 08:02 AM
DRINK!!!

pfffffshhhhtt.....shhhnot a pro~hic~blem....
:sick:

I mean, I...~burps~...I....~burps again~....only ever drink water ........wif me whishhhky.....~blinks slowly~
and beshhides....~wobbles~.....who needs legs anyway !!!

hehhehehehe
Fox
PS...thinks pot noodle must give a hangover that extra edge!!:yum:

Sandy
6th-September-2002, 11:04 AM
Yeah that sounds familiar!!

Did it involve Lisa perchance? Oh aye, remember that one, quick recovery from both Franck and Lisa!

Actually I always have one drink for courage and to get me going. I have drank more at parties and i thought it improved my dancing, no inhibitions etc. However everyone elso just thought I was drunk:sorry So I keep it to just a couple now. I do think a bar is a social meeting point though and I think you should have one at each of the venues

Sandy

filthycute
6th-September-2002, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by Sandy
I think you should have one at each of the venues

:cheers: And i think you should try and visit at least 8 venues each night :D :wink:

filthycute x x

Sandy
9th-September-2002, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by filthycute
And i think you should try and visit at least 8 venues each night :D :wink:

filthycute x x I think I'll have to get in some training if I'm to keep up with you fc! but always up for a challenge:grin:

Cheers:cheers:

Sandy

Gadget
15th-October-2002, 12:37 PM
Personally, I dont' drink - I have found that I can make a complete fool of my self with out the need of any alchoholic prompting.
I have no objections to others drinking - although I agree it makes of a more challenging dance when your partner gets giddy easily and are unsure of how to balance properly.

Pammy
12th-May-2004, 10:00 AM
I don't drink either. I too think I'm silly enough as I am. Crikey, what would I be like after a few glasses of wine :confused:

Stuart
13th-May-2004, 10:08 PM
I usually get through 2 or 3 pints per evening at Ceroc. Sadly these days it tends to be either Mineral Water or Diet Coke. Having to drive to events doesn't help either.

straycat
1st-November-2006, 08:54 PM
I never drink and jive.

Double Trouble
1st-November-2006, 09:43 PM
In my search for a decent freestyle venue, the issue of alcohol and bar licenses reared its ugly head .... please take pity for us English folk still suffering from arcane licensing regulations...:tears:

....then it occured to me that for most people maybe alcoholic drinks weren't an issue ... hence the poll.

Please note there are seperate polls for lads and lasses as, in my limited experience, ladies tend to find that drinking and spinning don't mix too well (and I'll avoid the obvious jokes about spilling drink etc..)

I would be most upset if i couln't have a glass or two of wine at a venue. I like to think my dancing improves with every glass (yes, my dancing is that bad)

I don't think I have ever seen anyone completely legless at any ceroc night, lets face it, it's not like your usual meat market saddo's night club where you get some drunken half brain drooling all over you, trying to get a leg over (Ok, I mean me). It's usually all much more civilised than that.

Gav
1st-November-2006, 09:51 PM
The only time I've ever had a drink or two while dancing, was at a weekender. Well I had to, to get over the traumatic experience of dancing with Trouble and Double Trouble! :na:

Serisouly, though, I normally have to drive everywhere so drinking is out anyway, but I couldn't see me getting rat @rsed even if I wasn't driving. I saw a couple of guys wasted at a spring ball and they just p1ssed everyone off. :angry:

I quite like the people I dance with so I'll save the getting p1ssed for non-dancing nights. :D

Double Trouble
1st-November-2006, 09:55 PM
[QUOTE=Gav;300995]The only time I've ever had a drink or two while dancing, was at a weekender. Well I had to, to get over the traumatic experience of dancing with Trouble and Double Trouble! :na:

you should try and do a treble trouble with double trouble and trouble.......even more of a challenge, try saying that when you are pissed.!

Gav
1st-November-2006, 09:59 PM
you should try and do a treble trouble with double trouble and trouble.......even more of a challenge, try saying that when you are pissed.!

I dread to think what that would be like, I'll have nightmares tonight! :D

Double Trouble
1st-November-2006, 10:14 PM
Nightmares? Surely you mean wildest dreams.

They are doing a treble trouble at Camber.........Me and Trouble are looking for a man (and I use that term loosely) up for the challenge?

Gav
1st-November-2006, 10:22 PM
Nightmares? Surely you mean wildest dreams.

They are doing a treble trouble at Camber.........Me and Trouble are looking for a man (and I use that term loosely) up for the challenge?

That's OK 'cos I'm quite a loose man :D

You two are just trying to rub it in aren't you?

No, I'm still not going to camber and yes, I'm still gutted about it. :angry:

I'd love to take the two of you on together, if I remember rightly I enjoyed each of you one at a time at Bliss, so both of you would be twice the fun, right? :eek:

Double Trouble
1st-November-2006, 10:29 PM
That's OK 'cos I'm quite a loose man :D

You two are just trying to rub it in aren't you?

No, I'm still not going to camber and yes, I'm still gutted about it. :angry:

I'd love to take the two of you on together, if I remember rightly I enjoyed each of you one at a time at Bliss, so both of you would be twice the fun, right? :eek:

I have only had one threesome before & that was with spin dryer and trouble. He's never been the same since. He now walks with a distinct limp & has a permanent grimace on his face. (we are talking about dancing I take it?)

Gav
1st-November-2006, 10:31 PM
I have only had one threesome before & that was with spin dryer and trouble. He's never been the same since. He now walks with a distinct limp & has a permanent grimace on his face. (we are talking about dancing I take it?)

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Of course dancing, what else? :rofl:

TheTramp
1st-November-2006, 11:24 PM
Ah. The Double Trouble and Gav thread! :worthy:

Gav
1st-November-2006, 11:26 PM
Ah. The Double Trouble and Gav thread! :worthy:

It's taken a lot of hard work, but I think I've mastered the art of hijacking threads. :D

Trouble
2nd-November-2006, 12:26 AM
It's taken a lot of hard work, but I think I've mastered the art of hijacking threads. :D

you might have mastered hijacking of threads but have you mastered my stalk, grab and fall over method. Thats normally the method i use on a Friday night on a weekender as i get so excited at the prospect of a weekends dancing, no kids or responsibilities, just being a girl again that i forget that ive got to dance, drink too much, everyone looks absolutely gorgeous, including the pizza servers and burger servers, i want to marry everybody then fall over. Its great stuff, you should try it. :whistle: :D

MartinHarper
2nd-November-2006, 12:35 AM

Obviously drink hinders lots of important things like balance, motor control, judgement, and suchlike. I find that in moderation it inhibits some of the feelings and attitudes that get in the way of enjoyable dancing. Also, I figure that learning to dance whilst slightly under the influence is rather like learning to dance blindfolded: it makes you a better dancer when you're sober again.

I go to a few local dances that don't have an alcohol license, and are therefore rated BYOB. That works well.

Frankie_4711
2nd-November-2006, 09:12 AM
I have only twice had any alcohol in me while dancing - one glass of wine at a leaving do 2 hours before one class, and one glass of Pimms & lemonade at a wedding where I managed to grab a poor unsuspecting (and extremely drunk!) lady and lead her through a few moves. But then again, I hardly ever drink alcohol when I'm not dancing either.

David Bailey
2nd-November-2006, 09:25 AM
No.

No-one ever dances better with alcohol, they just think they do.

MJ requires dedication, self-sacrifice, hairshirts, 7 years' meditation and tutalge under the Ancient Masters, 3 months' fasting, and other such purification methods. For each night out. That's The Law.

Double Trouble
2nd-November-2006, 09:34 AM
you might have mastered hijacking of threads but have you mastered my stalk, grab and fall over method. Thats normally the method i use on a Friday night on a weekender as i get so excited at the prospect of a weekends dancing, no kids or responsibilities, just being a girl again that i forget that ive got to dance, drink too much, everyone looks absolutely gorgeous, including the pizza servers and burger servers, i want to marry everybody then fall over. Its great stuff, you should try it. :whistle: :D

Problem is, when you are sober, it's difficult to tell between the pizza server and the pizza.

Thank god I have recently taken a vow of celibacy so I don't have to worry about that anymore. For me, the evening now goes, get p1ssed, fall over, spend night dribbling on my pillow. What a sexy bitch I am....!

Gav
2nd-November-2006, 09:38 AM

That explains a lot actually, and that on top of how bad your memory is at the best of times means that you never need worry about it! :eek:

David Bailey
2nd-November-2006, 09:53 AM
Problem is, when you are sober, it's difficult to tell between the pizza server and the pizza.
OK, that's either very profound or, err, not...

Shodan
2nd-November-2006, 10:10 AM
According to some of my regular dance ladies, I dance much more relaxed and comedy-style after a couple of small drinks. Some actually prefer it.

BUT, I rarely drink anyways. Only ever drink at dance events when its a party and not a freestyle event at a usual MJ dance club.

I prefer soberness when dancing - stops me falling over. :rofl: (that smilie seems appropriate)

sidney
2nd-November-2006, 10:42 AM
Before I started dancing a night out was a few glasses of wine, a bop and a curry at the end of the night, so when I started dancing I tried having a couple of wines but it did not work for me, did not get the same satisfaction as in the past, and I never throught I could go out and enjoy myself without a drink, so I save the wine for my non- dance nights which is now with a meal instead.:cheers:

TheTramp
2nd-November-2006, 02:19 PM
I don't know if it's been said, and I'm too lazy to go back and check...

It's quite true that Ceroc doesn't drive me to drink. Some of the people that go to Ceroc might well have that effect though! :innocent:

Gentabout
2nd-November-2006, 03:19 PM
I will very occasionally have a drink if i have had a bad day at the office, helps to relax me a little before i inflict my poor dancing on the unsuspecting ladies.

Gent

David Bailey
2nd-November-2006, 05:27 PM
I think the Forum's driving me to drink, does that count? :rolleyes:

ducasi
2nd-November-2006, 05:33 PM
I think the Forum's driving me to drink, does that count? :rolleyes:
:yeah:

I tend not to mix drink with dancing.

Although it can make me a more confident and adventurous dancer, it also makes me more likely to fall over, try things I'm not capable of, or injure my partner due to not being as aware as I should be.

Baruch
3rd-November-2006, 12:41 AM
I very rarely drink anything alcoholic when I'm dancing. Apart from the fact that I'm usually driving, I find that once I've had a couple of drinks all the dance moves I know dribble out of my head, and any style and musicality I may have goes with them. I end up doing about 20 first moves to one track with the occasional other move put in as I remember it. Not a pretty sight.

The only exception is if I've had a stressful day at work. Then I may have a pint to help me relax, but never more than one.

purple~emma
3rd-November-2006, 09:57 AM
I have restrained from drinking while dancing since I started. I do enjoy a drink sometimes but I definately feel that, for me, Ceroc isn't the best place for one.

People who dance with me regularly know I'm a bit of a spinner, and so therefore, my dancing and drink definately would not mix. I'm quite clumsy in general so to then drink while spinning would almost certainly result in me and the dancefloor getting much better acquainted, in a way i'd rather avoid if at all possible.

Jhutch
3rd-November-2006, 12:54 PM
Actually Ceroc is the main thing that drives me away from drink in an evening:grin: Never drunk during a class at all:)

Beowulf
7th-November-2006, 06:18 PM
Am tea total anyway. Dancing or not I don't drink.

Dancing Girlie
7th-November-2006, 06:29 PM
I usually drive everywhere so don't have the opportunity to drink very often. However, I made the mistake once years ago of having a couple of large glasses of wine, with the girls at work, before going on to the dance classes -
wasn't sure if it was my head or my body that ended up spinning the most!

Wendy :flower:

Twirly
7th-November-2006, 06:52 PM
I usually go for one small glass of wine before the class in Clapham with my friend. We also have a glass of water with it though, and by the time we have got through the beginners class, it’s mostly worn off. Then it’s water for the rest of the night.

When we first started going, we did have a large glass of wine each – never again! The girl in the bar also said they had a special offer on and we could have the rest of the bottle at no extra cost… :sick: we politely declined. Sadly, there is only one bar we can go to for our pre-dancing drink and chat, as there is only one which serves small glasses of wine. So much for sensible drinking in Clapham! :angry:

Clueless
8th-November-2006, 03:24 PM
I Have had an occassion where I had one drink and a dance and the girl who I danced with seemed to have a good time.

But I usually drive to dancing but to be honest I dont need alcohol to have a good time, I get a high off the music and the dances. :D